closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Singer Reimagined Flytrack

Singer Reimagined Flytrack

I was earlier trawling through any interesting watches that I missed being showcased during SIHH 2019 week and totally didn't see this Singer Flyback watch -

For those new to Singer, the brand was inaugurated a few years ago with a mission to recreate (or reimagined) high end watchmaking. And for those car aficionados, yes Singer from the car world.

Their debut was the Track 1, a stunning chronograph using the Agenhor Agengraphe movement. This is possibly one of the greatest chronograph movements out there, and worth this epic read -

https://quillandpad.com/2017/02/20/e...e-chronograph/

Moving on to this model - we have a rather clean looking watch with a flyback seconds. The hour is denoted by the triangle on the outer ring and the significant piece is the central seconds hand.

So how does the flyback work? You press the crown at 2 and the second hand will flyback. If you keep it depressed it will flyback and remain on zero until you let go of it. It is meant for short timings where you want to just quickly reset and not needing a full on flyback chronograph.

No price yet, but I fear it will not be cheap with this movement also developed by Agenhor and consisting of 300 odd parts. I'm guessing in the €20k region. More information here -

https://monochrome-watches.com/singe...n-specs-price/
    Last edited by crazyp; 23rd January 2019 at 23:21.

IMHO the makers of some of the finest cars ever to grace the streets - but I think that's where their focus should remain.

For those who care, Rob Dickinson (the founder of Singer and by definition a very cool person) is the cousin of Bruce Dickinson. He of Iron Maiden fame.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

It’s an interesting watch.

Looking closely, the text on the dial reads ‘Flytrack’.

I have a 1930’s Helvetia with a similar function although it also has a pusher to hold the second hand to read off the count, in addition to the pusher in the winding crown for the flyback function.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    IMHO the makers of some of the finest cars ever to grace the streets - but I think that's where their focus should remain.
    The Singer cars look very nice, but a common-or-garden Cayman runs rings round them, dynamically.

For those who care, Rob Dickinson (the founder of Singer and by definition a very cool person) is the cousin of Bruce Dickinson. He of Iron Maiden fame.
    Any reason why? Their watch won the GPHG 2019 in the chronograph category, so clearly it has some pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    It’s an interesting watch.

Looking closely, the text on the dial reads ‘Flytrack’.

I have a 1930’s Helvetia with a similar function although it also has a pusher to hold the second hand to read off the count, in addition to the pusher in the winding crown for the flyback function.
    Ooooh good spot and edited the subject!

The pusher to hold to read the count would have been a nice addition, I'm assuming the implementation is an additional degree of complication.

Which Helvetia do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Any reason why? Their watch won the GPHG 2019 in the chronograph category, so clearly it has some pedigree.
    I'm assuming they mean they wouldn't be seen dead with one on their wrist.

I'm actually surprised the watch looks this bad given how clean and nice the modifications they make to 911s are.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I'm assuming they mean they wouldn't be seen dead with one on their wrist.

I'm actually surprised the watch looks this bad given how clean and nice the modifications they make to 911s are.
    I really would like some tangible reasons why you think this looks so bad?

For the record this is the version that won the GPHG (pic from Monochrome) -

The function is identical to the 1930's Rolex Zerographe Mono-Pusher.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The function is identical to the 1930's Rolex Zerographe Mono-Pusher.
    I had to Google that watch - never had heard of it and a very cool looking watch. And a Cali dial too!

Any thoughts on why as a standalone feature it seems to have gone MIA and implemented only alongside a chronograph?

Singer Reimagined Flytrack

Ooooh good spot and edited the subject!
    Which Helvetia do you have?
    Hi, it’s this one. A poor photo but I’m not with the watch at the moment. About time I got round to a better one.

You can see the ‘pause’ pusher at 8 and the flyback pusher in the crown at 3. Pressing either does not affect the running time.

I like the Singer, it has a very clean look to it and I think the complication is useful. Does ‘Flytrack’ have some special meaning or is it just a made up name? I quite like it.

I had to Google that watch - never had heard of it and a very cool looking watch. And a Cali dial too!

Any thoughts on why as a standalone feature it seems to have gone MIA and implemented only alongside a chronograph?
    The feature was superceded by the chronograph proper which was more useful. There was another model called the Rolex Centregraph. A company called RXW made a homage (about 10 years ago) but without the chrono function. It was called Zeromaster. When the RXW came out it was only a few hundred pounds. Now they change hands for thousands.

Rolex Zerograph and Centregraph Mono Pusher Chronograph
    http://magazine.bulangandsons.com/rolex-zerograph/

The Rolex Zerographe

A pedigree for designing and making cars, not watches. Knowing Rob Dickinson and his need for perfection, I have no doubt about the quality of design and craftsmanship, however just because you can, does mean you should. Just look at virtually every other "car" branded watch ever produced.

IMHO of course.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    The Singer cars look very nice, but a common-or-garden Cayman runs rings round them, dynamically.
    A Casio G watch runs rings around virtually every watch ever produced, yet they are hardly grace the watch market.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I like the clean lines, but they are too clean, leaving the wearer to struggle with the time.
    Look at the OP picture, and we are told in the article that the hours are read on the bezel arrow, the minutes on the wider hand.
    So, is that 10 minutes past one, or 10 past 2????? It is nearer 10 (ie 2) but behind it. Huh????
    Perhaps the fact that it is in exactly the same place in all pictures means it is a non-working prototype. I doubt those pictures would have been rushed off in less than a minute..........
    I like the idea, but I think a nice, well-restored Jumbo Chronostop would be much better (and considerably cheaper).

This was mine, and these are great watches. The case on this was even successfully re-tested for its original 120m WR when it was serviced, making it a good everyday wearer. And it had the advantage of a 0-60 bezel too.

Dave

Crazyp, are you in any way involved with this watch or is it just something you like or find interesting, and you are posting it for comments?

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I like the clean lines, but they are too clean, leaving the wearer to struggle with the time.
    Look at the OP picture, and we are told in the article that the hours are read on the bezel arrow, the minutes on the wider hand.
    So, is that 10 minutes past one, or 10 past 2????? It is nearer 10 (ie 2) but behind it. Huh????
    Perhaps the fact that it is in exactly the same place in all pictures means it is a non-working prototype. I doubt those pictures would have been rushed off in less than a minute..........
    I like the idea, but I think a nice, well-restored Jumbo Chronostop would be much better (and considerably cheaper).

This was mine, and these are great watches. The case on this was even successfully re-tested for its original 120m WR when it was serviced, making it a good everyday wearer. And it had the advantage of a 0-60 bezel too.

Dave

That is a lovely watch Dave!

Edit to add - I agree on your point on how you read the time. Hopefully part of the refinement process over the coming months before the proper release.

Crazyp, are you in any way involved with this watch or is it just something you like or find interesting, and you are posting it for comments?
    Not involved in any way. My tastes and interests have very much gone towards Independents over the last 3 odd years and frankly anyone trying to do different things in the watch world should be applauded.

I am also a huge fan of how Agenhor go about movement design as well and that is how Singer have made it onto my radar.

I try and do my part in getting conversation moving on topics that aren't on the standard stuff here on WT
    Last edited by crazyp; 24th January 2019 at 11:48.

The Flytrack appears to be about half the price of the Track 1. For the money of the Flytrack one can have a mint Cartier Central Chrono with a JLC mov. in white gold.

The Faberge Visionnaire chrono has a similar mov. to the Track 1 with an uglier case but better dial configuration.
    Last edited by abraxas; 24th January 2019 at 13:19.

The Flytrack appears to be about half the price of the Track 1. For the money of the Flytrack one can have a mint Cartier Central Chrono with a JLC mov. in white gold.

The Faberge Visionnaire chrono has a similar mov. to the Track 1 with an uglier case but better dial configuration.
    I have tried the Faberge on and agree with your assessment - case is not that nice, but a better dial. And there are some fine choices in Singer price range. A good Datograph, in platinum can be had for the list price of the Track 1.

I did forget to add - I can't afford any of these so looking from afar will have to do for now

A Casio G watch runs rings around virtually every watch ever produced, yet they are hardly grace the watch market.
    Yes, but Porsches are about handling, acceleration and braking. So why spend £250,000 on a Singer, when a Cayman does a far better job all-round for a fraction of the price? Unless it's all about posing...?

Yes, but Porsches are about handling, acceleration and braking. So why spend £250,000 on a Singer, when a Cayman does a far better job all-round for a fraction of the price? Unless it's all about posing...?
    I know I spent £10k on a Cayman instead of £250k on a Singer for these exact reasons ;D

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I know I spent £10k on a Cayman instead of £250k on a Singer for these exact reasons ;D
    Good choice.

In which case why waste money on a Cayman and not go straight to a GT2 or GT3 (which can be bought for less than £250k), but buying a Singer is more about enjoying a similar driving experience as a 2.7RS or RSR, but with a better engine, better brakes, better suspension and in some instances less weight. In fact just better. Plus it's custom made to the owners specification.

The Cayman is a fine car, but its not a 911 nor is it a Singer or RUF CTR (for example). iMHO of course

Anywhoo, ref the watch. To expensive for what it is and a bit ugly.

Friedrich Nietzsche

The Cayman is a fine car, but its not a 911
    I know, I've owned both. The Cayman is better than most 911s, Singers included. The engine's in the right place, for starters.

I know, I've owned both. The Cayman is better than most 911s, Singers included. The engine's in the right place, for starters.
    In the hands of 99% of drivers, a golf r on a slightly damp road will waltz away from a Cayman without much bother. To suggest that makes it better, is a nonsense. Ditto comparing a Cayman to a singer.

I was earlier trawling through any interesting watches that I missed being showcased during SIHH 2019 week and totally didn't see this Singer Flyback watch -

For those new to Singer, the brand was inaugurated a few years ago with a mission to recreate (or reimagined) high end watchmaking. And for those car aficionados, yes Singer from the car world.

Their debut was the Track 1, a stunning chronograph using the Agenhor Agengraphe movement. This is possibly one of the greatest chronograph movements out there, and worth this epic read -

https://quillandpad.com/2017/02/20/e...e-chronograph/
    Looks very interesting and bookmarked for a leisurely read later. Ta for posting.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    In the hands of 99% of drivers, a golf r on a slightly damp road will waltz away from a Cayman without much bother.
    I really don't think so. Anyway, this is about another overpriced product from Singer, not their reimagined 911.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Looks very interesting and bookmarked for a leisurely read later. Ta for posting.
    I would add - Agenhor seemed to find solutions to problems that were not really there. However we’re at that sort of stage with mechanical movements so fair enough.

Hopefully someone utilises it better than Singer and Fabergé in the coming year. The movement deserves it.

I think the Flytrack would have looked better with a "jump hour" feature, instead of that hour-arrow which is pointing to nowhere.

On the other hand the Track 1 reminds me this '70s Precimax...

They Made Some Pretty Terrible Watches In The Good Old Days Too
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pr...days-editorial