closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Arrival and clean up of a 25 year old watch.

Arrival and clean up of a 25 year old watch.

Well here is a recent arrival a 25 year old DW-5900F-3V. I saw this for sale and it had the dial problems often seen on G Shocks of this vintage, discolouration and deposits on the dial and crystal probably due to the composition of the insert. I don’t mind it though, it means I can get it cheap and fix it. I could see the resin was in good condition and resin rot is a problem with a lot of these.

So here it was.

Here it is.

Japan made.

The DW-5900 is a real classic.

Unlike the 6900's whose three eyes were just basically graphics displays for counting seconds, the three eyes on the 5900's serve different purposes.

The first eye is an analogue watch display. However, this switches to a graphic count up or countdown of the seconds in stopwatch or countdown mode. It also switches to a flashing display at the end of a countdown operation or when an alarm time is reached.

The second eye displays the mode that you are in with the white segments and also displays the alarm and signal configurations with the yellow segments.

The third eye does display the seconds in timekeeping mode but switches to a sweeping hand that sweeps the dial once a second clockwise or anti-clockwise depending on whether you are operating the stopwatch or timer. It also switches to a flashing display at the end of a countdown operation or when an alarm time is reached. It also tells you which of the five alarms are turned on. If you have alarms 3 and 5 switched on the third and fifth segments will fill in.

So these are quite useful actually and put on a fine display when they are flashing to indicate the end of an operation.

The watch has dual time as well as 24 hr stopwatch and auto repeat countdown modes.

You can have this as your display in timekeeping but then you are reliant on the tiny analogue clock eye for the time. It does not have any illumination which is a shame but it does make the LCD very sharp and clear.

Here is my other DW-5900 the FIFA 5994.

The DW-5900 has been reissued, size still seems to be the same. There are differences though, the new one gains EL illumination and WT. It loses Dual Time, the analogue clock eye, the mode eye and the fancy during and end of event animations in the eyes, it now only has a 60 min Stopwatch instead of 24hr.

So you win some, you lose some.

The dial cleaned up really well, it is not perfect but I might clean it up again at the next battery change. The resin soon got to be looking really fresh again with a bit of TLC.

I am very pleased with this one it doesn’t appear to have been worn much, if at all, as there is no wear at all on the camouflage strap and that will wear really easily I suspect. The resin looks perfect to say it is 25 years old. There were not huge numbers of coloured G Shocks around when this was issued, that was a later trend.

It is quite a rare beast, not many seen around. It will be interesting to see if Casio start to issue different coloured versions of the reissued model as apart from the green model it appears all other variants of the 5900 are black only.

Some wrist shots.

Excellent post Mitch and you clearly have a great collection of Gs. You also get a thumbs up for starting a thread which is not about Rolex or Omega.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

My reissue says hi!IMG_4733.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My reissue says hi!IMG_4733.jpg

How are you finding it? It is an unusual move from Casio to go for an exact shape and size reissue like this, the thing is small compared to the modern day giants.

Mitch

It actually wears like a slightly smaller but slightly taller 6900 - very comfy and disappears on the wrist due to the light weight and the way it hugs the wrist. Actually I find squares a bit small - I have to wear them on the last hole but one on the strap - this is kind of like a mix between a 5600 and a 6900. I find the display a little small - but I’m nearly 50 so that might be age! What I really adore is the proper 80’s vibe - I can imagine wearing one of these whilst playing space invaders on my Atari back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Excellent post Mitch and you clearly have a great collection of Gs. You also get a thumbs up for starting a thread which is not about Rolex or Omega.

Cheers!

The thread won't get much traction here though. Even though there is plenty of stuff to talk about with the watch, apart from its aesthetics (which won't appeal to everybody not by a long shot), its functions etc. Then there is its position in the evolution of an iconic brand, one whose sales continue to accelerate, fifty million sold in just the last seven years and a huge collectors market.

However, the watch is just not veblen enough to generate much interest here, even though few will have ever seen or been aware of this model, prices, doggies in an AD window, investment, etc they are becoming more dominant here.

Still, I will probably just keep at it, I am sure there are a few on here who like such threads.

Mitch

If I saw you in a coffee shop wearing that, I’d assume you were a watch fan and very likely make a comment. As a watch fan I tend to notice something like that much more than a Submariner, moonwatch or planet ocean tbh, and there’s never any kind of ‘is that real?’ nonsense where 1 party thinks he’s going to get mugged for his £8k watch!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If I saw you in a coffee shop wearing that, I’d assume you were a watch fan and very likely make a comment. As a watch fan I tend to notice something like that much more than a Submariner, moonwatch or planet ocean tbh, and there’s never any kind of ‘is that real?’ nonsense where 1 party thinks he’s going to get mugged for his £8k watch!
    I don't usually post about watches I have bought, that have been posted about a thousand times before.
    In 2017 I got an Omega Speedmaster 'Moonwatch'. I didn't bother posting about it because how many times has this been done and what is there to say new? It is 'just look at this expensive watch you all know about.'
    I would rather post about the MRG it is pictured with and it is a much better watch in nearly every way but I got that one in 2008.

It is a pity that price seems to dictate response rate here.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 26th January 2019 at 02:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Still, I will probably just keep at it, I am sure there are a few on here who like such threads.

Mitch
    Please, do keep at it.

G Shocks are not really my thing, though I appreciate the attraction of them, but I love reading about watches being brought back to life. It requires a skill few of us can hope to achieve.

It is these kind of posts that make TZ-UK so special, as it shows that the watch community is about far more than just expensive timepieces seemingly constantly flipped!
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 26th January 2019 at 17:43.

Craftsman
    What does the G stand for ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Hi Mitch, loving the MRG-7500...happy memories as I used to have one years ago...foolishly sold it and stumbled across another...and foolishly sold that one too..goodness knows why as they are/were superb watches and crazy rare these days. Totally bombproof thanks to Ti DLC and lovely dial...very envious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    Hi Mitch, loving the MRG-7500...happy memories as I used to have one years ago...foolishly sold it and stumbled across another...and foolishly sold that one too..goodness knows why as they are/were superb watches and crazy rare these days. Totally bombproof thanks to Ti DLC and lovely dial...very envious.
    Yes the fit and finish of these flagship MRG's is superb. You can only really appreciate the quality when you have them in hand. The dial work is fantastic and I love the feel of the silky smooth DLC finish.

The watch is not that big either in comparison to most G Shocks.

Here it is with some of my Citizen. full DLC, watches.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    What does the G stand for ?
    "Gravity" or "Gravitational"

There's a nice interview with Kikuo Ibe, the inventor of the G-Shock, here: https://www.dezeen.com/2016/10/21/g-...pes-interview/

Craftsman
    Cheers !

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app