closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ebay scam alert 32357831

Angry ebay scam alert 32357831

Seems like yet another ebay scam in progress - I have sold a £300 item on eBay this morning which I accepted the best offer for. Payment received though PayPal and now transferred to my bank, happy days or so I thought!
    The buyer has now messaged asking me to send to a different address (with one letter missing from the end of the postcode) and contact name about 10 min drive away from the original eBay order address. Is this so they can make a false claim through PayPal stating that the item hasn't arrived and in turn collect said item and refund from PayPal?
    I do not want to get my fingers burnt on this one :-(

Mail ebay and ask for advice as to which way to proceed.

ONLY send to the PayPal registered and confirmed address or you're not covered.

If that's a problem then cancel the sale.

Si

That's All Folks

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don’t do it ask ebays advice,you can’t be to careful.

Quote Originally Posted by raringtogo View Post

Si

That's All Folks
    This.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries

Si

That's All Folks

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    This.
    This^x2

It is a scam, the buyer will be using someone else's PayPal account and when that person realises they will claim the money back and you will be left with no item or any money.

Refund the payment now and cancel the sale, then relist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It is a scam, the buyer will be using someone else's PayPal account and when that person realises they will claim the money back and you will be left with no item or any money.

Refund the payment now and cancel the sale, then relist.
    The PayPal and eBay addresses match - the 'new' address doesn't.
    Called eBay who explained that I should only send item to the original address associated with the account.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Mail ebay and ask for advice as to which way to proceed.
    Agree that this is sensible advice but be wary of who you speak to as I had a recent problem with a buyer who was attempting to scam me out of money on a used Iphone sale.

1st call to customer services was very different to the 2nd call and I received contrary advice.

Fortunately I stood my ground and the problem went away when scammer realised I wasn't budging.

Its very much a buyers marketplace on Ebay so tread carefully.

Master
    I would simply cancel the sale and refund the money.

Better safe than sorry.

Steve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I would simply cancel the sale and refund the money.

Better safe than sorry.

Steve.
    Exactly so!

Craftsman

Si

That's All Folks
    This is gospel

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

If you smell a rat, there's a rat.

Sometimes you just want to believe it's all ok, but from the outside this looks crazy. Refund and try again.

Si

That's All Folks
    That.

refund, cancel this one (you accidentally broke the item when packing) - then relist with "will only post to verified paypal address" in big and bld on the listing (if you didn't already have it)

if the scammers still want it get them to send you the money in the post in used notes

Sounds scammy.
    That said, I once purchased an ebay item and used my home address instead of my work one. I asked the bloke if he could send to the work address, fully expecting him to say no but to my pleasant surprise he did.

Down to discretion of course, but I'd totally avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Sounds scammy.
    That said, I once purchased an ebay item and used my home address instead of my work one. I asked the bloke if he could send to the work address, fully expecting him to say no but to my pleasant surprise he did.

Down to discretion of course, but I'd totally avoid it.
    I've also done the same. But better to be safe than sorry

On a related matter, I sent a parcel today to an eBay buyer who had a confirmed PayPal address. The only thing that concerns me is that they only joined eBay on the day of the purchase and have zero feedback. I did contact them to ask for verification and they seem legit but if anything goes wrong then am I covered by PayPal as the seller?

Craftsman
    If it’s their registered address there should be no problem - we’ve all made a first purchase on eBay. As to the OP's concern, I have anything I buy from eBay that won’t go through my letterbox or needs a signature sent to my mums address 5 minutes from me as she's always in. It is one of my verified addresses though. Could just be something innocent like that. Can you ask the buyer to make that address one of his confirmed addresses? Alternatively, just send it registered/signed for to the proper address. If he’s not in, it’s his problem and he can make alternative collection arangements himself.
    Last edited by Motman; 23rd January 2019 at 21:49.

Talking

Update - I sent it off yesterday RMSD to the original confirmed ebay & paypal address and messaged the buyer with the tracking details. finger crossed!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barty9 View Post
    Update - I sent it off yesterday RMSD to the original confirmed ebay & paypal address and messaged the buyer with the tracking details. finger crossed!!
    I think your buyer needs a good clout for being an arse! Looks like you have done everything right and if it does go pears then you will get your money back although I hope it will not be necessary!

Master
    You didn't cancel the sale?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

each to his own but asking for opinions with virtually everyone telling you to cancel the sale and then not doing it - priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    each to his own but asking for opinions with virtually everyone telling you to cancel the sale and then not doing it - priceless
    The contact with eBay suggested to send it to the confirmed address and I would be covered in the event of it all going tits up.

Master
    The contact with eBay suggested to send it to the confirmed address and I would be covered in the event of it all going tits up.
    I think people were just trying to save you the hassle to be honest. It may be legit but if it’s not you’ve now got a watch on the way to someone who hasn’t even got a clue.

I would have cancelled it straight away just to save any back n forth hassle and paying the person to return it (if they’re even contactable)

Hope it works out ok.