closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WG and Platinum Rolex - Advice & Thoughts

WG and Platinum Rolex - Advice & Thoughts

Hello Everyone, have been away from watch scene for few years and recently sold number of pieces from collection. Is good to be back reading here :) Am considering one of the following pieces and would appreciate feedback on ownership experiences. Am conscious how white gold and platinum copes with use and is robust enough not to scratch and ding easily with careful wrist time, watch would be for casual use out of work time and taken off for sports, etc. Conscious also that if full bracelet fitted that wouldn't wear or stretch quickly and necessitate costly repair / replacement. My understanding is that platinum is more robust than WG in general. Thank you for help :) Cheers, Martyn.

WG smurf Sub
    WG Daytona (on leather or bracelet)
    Platinum Daydate 36mm

Have also been considering Lange 1815 up down in WG or platinum. Please do flag up any other options for consideration.

I have no experience with Platinum Rolex models but I did own a Yellow Gold Yacht-Master for about 5 years and currently a White Gold Pepsi.

I have never had any problems with the 18K offerings apart from micro swirls which can be easily refinished. If you are already considerate to your watches I don't think you will have any issues.

As far as which watch is best for you Martyn it all depends on what other watches you have in your collection and which one appeals to you the most?

Is there a reason why you have the smaller size Day-Date as an option?

If it's down to price compared to the larger versions then this might not be the best option.

Master
    I had a white gold Daytona for a couple of years. Gorgeous watch.
    They are fine for daily wear; just fine. They can get light marking but it doesn’t really show. The whole ‘gold gets marked’ thing is, I believe, exaggerated. Possibly because gold is expensive. Overall, my stainless steel watches mark almost as much.
    Not sure about one of these on a strap; a solid gold bracelet feels great, and ‘right’ for the Daytona.
    Can’t speak about platinum, but it’s seriously heavy on the wrist.

Blog Entries
    I've owned a WG Daytona and Sub, both took a couple of dings that I don't even know how they happened.
    Platinum stands up to daily wear much better IMO.

I've never owned a precious metal rolex but I did see an older white gold daytona in the flesh recently and it looked a right mess. I don't think the owner was particularly careless but my word it had taken some knocks. Clearly white gold is softer than ss but it seems to wear scars worse.

Master

WG and Platinum Rolex - Advice & Thoughts

All I can say is that my own experience is that gold watches are just fine for daily wear.

Never had any real trouble. I get far more issues with scratches on my ....perfectly ordinary....car.
    Used, gold watches can be surprisingly decent value. Less than 50% of retail while still under guarantee. A 116509 Daytona might cost 20% more than a steel, ceramic, one. But it’s a lot more watch which costs three times as much at retail. Try it and see what you think, they are likely to go up.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd January 2019 at 15:49.

Craftsman
    Just a quick mention, my wife’s WG date just needed another link adding .

That’ll be £400 please.

Gulp.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I've never owned a precious metal rolex but I did see an older white gold daytona in the flesh recently and it looked a right mess. I don't think the owner was particularly careless but my word it had taken some knocks. Clearly white gold is softer than ss but it seems to wear scars worse.
    My WG Daytona is a bit of a beater and it looks absolutely fine to me - nothing a quick refurb/polish would sort out at service time - it's not made out of putty/toffee, it's a fairly hard gold alloy, and more than up to day to day wear imo.
    It's just a matter of time...

Personally, I think the YG and WG models look classiest on leather straps.

Also, the dial colour is important - I've seen quite a few dials that don't flatter the look.

I think this one, albeit YG, looks particularly nice https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Day...Rzei:rk:7:pf:0

Thank you very much to everyone for comments, photos, and feedback this aft. Glad WG / Plat will stand up to use. Been thinking more after reading comments ….

I do like the WG Daytona on leather and also the new 116519LN on rubber oysterflex. Though conversely understand part of the WG allure is heft and joy derived from the full precious metal bracelet.

Wazza - I have looked at 36mm Daydate for two reasons, one is the 40 and 41mm are out of budget and also am not so keen on the newer bigger Daydate models (tho admittedly have never worn nor handled one). Tbh I like subtle bling and hence thought 36mm with the signature blue dial and baton hour markers could fit the bill. Had seen the diamond adorned DD on Milton's website though unsure could pull it off given lack deft piano skills of Liberace and also lyrical gangster skills of Jay Z. My gaggle of watches is now made up of modern & vintage Grand Seiko, Seiko, various Casio / G Shocks, and military style pieces following recent selling of my much enjoyed Rolex, AP, and others.

I need to try the various options on for size, feel, and heft and go from there. Good selection of places here in Yorkshire, some with whippet parking.
    Last edited by MOD500; 22nd January 2019 at 19:48.

Master
    I recently acquired a white gold day date on the president bracelet and it looks and feels fantastic, the bracelet makes the watch and it feels very special. I went for WG as I wanted understatement but when the light hits it then it looks incredible. Whatever you decide on I would try and get it on a bracelet as opposed to a strap as it elevates it to another level and the extra weight feels excellent.

Made first foray today - in Doncaster and called into HL Brown and was very ably assisted by Nikki the branch manager, was very positive experience. Explained what was looking for and was then able to try on some pieces for first time to understand size, heft, and feel (not exact pieces am considering tho close enough to give good idea).

First up was Daytona in YG (ref 116508), had lovely hefty weight and felt great on wrist, very natural. Struck me how dial and colour choice would be v important for legibility. Interesting how feels a real weighty lump when held in hand but once on wrist feels just right.

Next was Daydate 36mm in everose on leather strap (ref 118135). Was very impressed with finish of watch and how wears and looks larger than 36mm would suggest. Had previously been bit 'meh' towards the fluted DD bezels in photos but in the metal was beautiful feature, and I really did like the watch tbh. Felt special tho somewhat under radar in this guise on strap.

Last up was Sub date in bi-metal form (ref 116613LB). This felt least intuitive of the 3 on first wearing, case felt much squarer across lugs and sat on top of wrist vs caressing like Daytona and DD did. Also the fit and finish of bracelet and case felt less wondrous vs precious metals, tho is to be expected I guess? Would need more time on wrist and try WG model to understand if a real option.

Spent about 40 mins in shop and enjoyed thoroughly, Nikki knew her stuff and was excellent ambassador for the store and brand. Discussed lead times and told 6 months ish for WG Daytona on bracelet and Smurf Sub and had discussion re prices. Will think and ponder more over coming days plus hopefully try Daytona with oysterflex when one passes through the branch (we discussed the 116519LN also). Parting gift was lovely Rolex hardback book plus price list, have been anoraking details further therein this evening and enjoyed thoroughly.

The 6 months lead time via AD is hard for me to reconcile given the new unworn / mint pieces for sale at grey dealers (some at relatively keen prices). Though ideally I would wish to buy and keep spend local (Doncaster is nearest AD).

Changing brands for a moment - was swotting up on PP Aquanaut last night and struck me could be an option, the premium over list however does not sit well with hereditary Yorkshire thrift !

I think need to visit grey dealer with the various options in physical stock so can try on and see together to get good idea of how various pieces sit relative to one another. Will update thread with feedback and thoughts after next outing :-)
    Last edited by MOD500; 29th January 2019 at 00:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I had a white gold Daytona for a couple of years. Gorgeous watch.
    They are fine for daily wear; just fine. They can get light marking but it doesn’t really show. The whole ‘gold gets marked’ thing is, I believe, exaggerated. Possibly because gold is expensive. Overall, my stainless steel watches mark almost as much.
    Not sure about one of these on a strap; a solid gold bracelet feels great, and ‘right’ for the Daytona.
    Can’t speak about platinum, but it’s seriously heavy on the wrist.
    I would love to have that on a croc and nice wg Rolex folding clasp as a dress watch. :)

Worn a gold Sub for almost 2 years daily. No worse or better than SS. Very occasionally ie one a year Cape Cod and it looks almost mint. Beautiful thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Two things:

1) I doubt you would be waiting six months. I would imagine you'll be getting a phone call within a few weeks.

2) Have you considered the GMT-2? I found it a more comfortable watch than the sub. Slightly thinner and I prefer the bezel font, (although that's obviously just my opinion!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post

1) I doubt you would be waiting six months. I would imagine you'll be getting a phone call within a few weeks.
    Couple of the grey dealers have previously held stock of the WG Sub at reasonable discount.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 29th January 2019 at 23:36.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Two things:

)
    Think not; these watches are now ordered from Geneva. Rolex UK no longer seem to hold stock. So unless a dealer has one in stock...unlikely...you will wait four months. It’s happened to me twice. It’s frustrating at the time.
    As for ‘grey’ dealers....really ? Unlike steel, You can get a deal off a new gold one, factory fresh, to your exact spec from an AD.
    Fresh from the factory, not passed through various European dealers. Not for me, thanks.
    Too much money to muck about.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th January 2019 at 02:07.

Master
    Nothing wrong with grey dealers.
    Yes, you can get your 10% off precious metal Rolex at your AD, but you can get significantly more off at grey dealers, and they still come with the same 5 year warranty card from Rolex. Deal direct with Rolex, and no issues

Master
    Of course there's a Smurf on SC with B & P at £10,000 less than RRP...

(Shameless plug)