closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mattresses - Emma

Master
    Tempur cloud here, love it - it feels different to every other memory foam ive ever laid on.

You need the matching pillows too to get the best out of it imo

Journeyman
    been on Emma for 2 to 3 months now.
    took a couple of weeks to start sleeping properly but haven't looked back, would recommend.

Like many others I can't get on with memory foam, just too hot for me.

We have a VI Spring in our master bedroom and a Hypnos in the main guest bedroom - both are pocket sprung, the Vi Spring is split tension so wifey and I each have the relevent spring tension and it's full of wool and horsehair so it's temperature regulation is excellent. The Hypnos has a bit more man made filling (a latex layer I think), but is still excellent.

Both are supremely comfortable and we've added a Devon Duvets wool matress topper to the VI Spring, which basically makes it like sleeping in a fluffy cloud. Both wifey and I have back issues from years of sporting injuries, and since switching to the VI spring we've noticed an amazing difference.

Don't neglect a traditional constrution, if it's done well it can be amazing.

Craftsman
    I bought a pocket sprung silent night some years back that was topped with memory foam. I can't remember the exact specs in terms of springs etc but it was one of their best. It's really good and I much prefer it to a pure foam mattress.

We had a sprung / foam mixed mattress from Next, can’t remember exactly which one but it wasn’t cheap. Absolute POS. Within 18 months one side had almost collapsed and it felt like I had to cling on during the night so I didn’t roll out. Mattress had be turned regularly, I’m not exactly a heavyweight and I don’t think any nocturnal activities would have been sufficient to void the warranty...

Anyway, ordered a Nectar mattress a few weeks back. It arrived in the ridiculously small box on time, the old mattress was taken away and I’ve been delighted with it. Much firmed than the previous one and we’ve both slept much better. We were about to drop £3k on a Tempur one but for £650 with two pillows and a 365 day return it seemed daft not too give it a go.

No idea if it’s better / worse / exactly the same as the Emma / Eve etc etc ones, they probably all originate in the same place but after many months of back ache I’m finally able to get out of bed without anywhere near as much pain!

Journeyman
    We bought a Casper 2 years ago and it’s significantly helped my lower back problems. Was wired at first as it felt much firmer to start with but now we love it!

Night 2 on a Simba mattress, much firmer than our previous pocket sprung but I’ll persevere. I don’t feel the cold and we previously had a topper which was sweaty af so hopefully this’ll be an improvement.

Craftsman
    Just seen a deal on hukd for the following

https://rem-fit.co.uk/rem-fit-pocket...-foam-mattress

Does anyone have any experience of the company as I haven't heard of them but the price looks great for the super king.

Never seen them before but looks a decent price

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    Never seen them before but looks a decent price
    Expired now unfortunately, however they seem to be popular in the US and get very positive reviews, I have back problems so may give the 500 orthopaedic a try.

I've never owned a bed - it's a conspiracy by the Mattress-Industrial Complex.

A combination of a mattress which is starting to sag a bit and too much time on my hands has resulted in some intensive internet searching, and I have just ordered the mattress that "Which?" described as "the best mattress we've ever tested" according to their December 2019 mattress appraisal.

It's the Eve Premium Hybrid which comes with a 100-night money back guarantee, and will be delivered on Monday.

I'll report back later. Probably on Tuesday.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    A combination of a mattress which is starting to sag a bit and too much time on my hands has resulted in some intensive internet searching, and I have just ordered the mattress that "Which?" described as "the best mattress we've ever tested" according to their December 2019 mattress appraisal.

It's the Eve Premium Hybrid which comes with a 100-night money back guarantee, and will be delivered on Monday.

I'll report back later. Probably on Tuesday.
    And how was it?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    And how was it?
    Also interested as I literally have one stored in the shopping cart on their website !

We've been using an Emma for about three months now. Like a previous poster mentioned, it took a couple of months to get used to it, but now it's an absolute joy. Much more comfortable, and (comfort factors aside) much more stable of your partner is turning over or moving around as there's none of the associating "rocking" that you get with a sprung mattress. Oh, and we subsequently requested the optional soft mattress topper, which Emma provide FOC; in fact, you can also request a firm topper if that's what floats your boat.

All in all, highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    And how was it?
    Sorry, I completely forgot, due to other "life" stuff getting in the way.

It weighs a lot. As in, I had to get my son to help me lift the thing on to the bed. And when you first sit or lie on it, it feels hard and unyielding, yet strangely, when lying on my back it does seem to support my lumbar region very well.

And now that I've had it for a few weeks, I regret not buying one sooner. It still feels hard, but whichever way I sleep, it's very supportive, and very comfortable. It's a lot of money for a mattress, but we spend 30% (or so) of our lives in bed, and a comfortable mattress which can provide a good night's sleep is worth the investment.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Sorry, I completely forgot, due to other "life" stuff getting in the way.

It weighs a lot. As in, I had to get my son to help me lift the thing on to the bed. And when you first sit or lie on it, it feels hard and unyielding, yet strangely, when lying on my back it does seem to support my lumbar region very well.

And now that I've had it for a few weeks, I regret not buying one sooner. It still feels hard, but whichever way I sleep, it's very supportive, and very comfortable. It's a lot of money for a mattress, but we spend 30% (or so) of our lives in bed, and a comfortable mattress which can provide a good night's sleep is worth the investment.
    Have you requested the soft topper? It does make a difference.

Master
    Like some others, I found the adjustment quite tough: in fact I contacted Emma to arrange a return under their 100-day trial guarantee. The initial smell was a little off putting too.
    But we stuck with it and I’m really glad we did. It’s very comfortable now and supportive. The Which? BB rating is well earned.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It seems the Emma trial period is now 200 nights instead of 100.

After 10 years we realise it is the right time to get a new mattress.

Has anyone selected the Emma Hybrid over Emma original and if so why? Not sure which one would be best apart from they have 35% of the hybrid one.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Have you requested the soft topper? It does make a difference.
    Hi Tony, I hope you're keeping safe and well?

I might try a mattress topper, but right now with the increased depth of the new mattress over my old one, my current collection of fitted sheets barely fit, so I would need to replace them all if I used a topper.

Right now, I'm revelling in the improved support of my new mattress, and I'm convinced that I'm sleeping better, and waking up more relaxed, so I'm happy as I am.

Master
    Hypnos! I have the pillow top. Wasn’t cheap but my word how comfortable!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Working my way through this and an ad appeared at the bottom...... for a mattress packing machine, how many do they think I was going a buy/try?

Craftsman
    I went with a remfit in the end direct from their website.

Ortho 500 superking, it's only been 4 months but I can really notice a difference and it helps with my arthritis.

Much better than the silentnight it replaced.

Any updates on these as looking into them myself as my old Vispring has seen better days as I wake up with shoulder aches every Morning as a side sleeper!

Bit concerned memory foam will be a bit hot, lots of mixed reviews for Emma, Eve, Nectar, Simba etc..?

Master
    Blog Entries
    We've just bought a Simba - lovely and comfortable and not noticeably warmer than other mattresses (we've a padded cotton mattress cover on it)

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Any updates on these as looking into them myself as my old Vispring has seen better days as I wake up with shoulder aches every Morning as a side sleeper!

Bit concerned memory foam will be a bit hot, lots of mixed reviews for Emma, Eve, Nectar, Simba etc..?
    I’ve just replaced all the mattresses in the new place with Eve. A couple of the Premium Hybrid, after reading the Which reviews, their Standard memory foam for the spare room, and one of the light ones for the missus’ daughter’s room. My old man then asked me to order him one. Everyone loves them. I much prefer the Premium Hybrid to the full memory foam one though, as they are cooler for me. We even managed to get hold of a few of their beds at a crazily cheap price and have them shipped to us - so hopefully no more bed shopping for years now!

Journeyman
    I guess one size does not fit all as I tried a Simba and absolutely hated it. It was like sleeping on a hard board and the memory foam was too slow to react to my movements. Have gone for a John Ryan mattress now!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’ve just replaced all the mattresses in the new place with Eve. A couple of the Premium Hybrid, after reading the Which reviews, their Standard memory foam for the spare room, and one of the light ones for the missus’ daughter’s room. My old man then asked me to order him one. Everyone loves them. I much prefer the Premium Hybrid to the full memory foam one though, as they are cooler for me. We even managed to get hold of a few of their beds at a crazily cheap price and have them shipped to us - so hopefully no more bed shopping for years now!
    Thank you, premium hybrid worth the extra you’d say? Quite pricey over the competitors out there? Don’t mind paying the extra if worth it but all subjective I know..
    Last edited by Snoodles; 8th September 2020 at 15:33.

Thank you, premium hybrid worth the extra you’d say? As quite pricey over the competitors out there? Don’t mind paying h the extra if worth it but all subjective I know..
    I bought an Eve Premium Hybrid on the strength of the Which? report.

It's certainly firm, but very supportive, and I sleep well on it, so I'm very pleased.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    I guess one size does not fit all as I tried a Simba and absolutely hated it. It was like sleeping on a hard board and the memory foam was too slow to react to my movements. Have gone for a John Ryan mattress now!

Yes, I'm sure one size doesn't fit all.

We bought online - I am sure if we had tried out a load of mattresses in a store we might have found an even more comfortable mattress, but as long as the Simba feels good, I think we will keep it.

Craftsman
    Years ago, like many I suffered with a bad back so I was advised to put a new mattress. I haven't changed our mattress for about 10 years but when I was looking I was steered towards Vispring (traditional made style mattress at the time with no memory foam, etc). At the time they were too expensive for me but I found out that they made a range of mattresses for, and branded as such, for John Lewis.

This collaboration made it more affordable so I bought one. Best thing I have ever purchased and 10 years later is still good for us for an excellent nights sleep. No bad back anymore! Come replacement time I will look at offerings form other manufacturers but from my experience I will probably go back to Vispring.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post

We’ve got a Simba in the spare room and a tempur we use daily. I could barely describe the Simba as memory foam, more like just foam.

Thank you, premium hybrid worth the extra you’d say? Quite pricey over the competitors out there? Don’t mind paying the extra if worth it but all subjective I know..
    They did have 35% of the hybrid, and I managed to find a discount code from a quick google search for another 10% or 15% off, which made it around the same price or cheaper than others for me at the time.

I was really impressed, as I had only bought a king size for one of the spare room because of the discounts, but after trying it out I then ordered a super king as a replacement for our bedroom.

I don’t sleep particularly well in an unfamiliar bed - i.e. if travelling on business, so I’m quite fussy. The standard premium without springs is also good, but I do get quite hot in the night and notice the difference between them. We had a bit of fun sleeping in the different rooms and trying out the mattresses when we moved in. I also Tempur far too hot in the past, but haven’t tried one of the newer mattresses from the last 5 years.

I’d definitely recommend it, but it’s only been around 6-8 weeks, and it’s not being sent back, but they have a 100 day money back offer.
    It's just a matter of time...

Interestingly the top 10 rated mattresses were as follows:

Eve premium hybrid
    Emma original
    Casper essential
    Eve original
    Eve lighter hybrid
    Sealy Teramo
    Simba hybrid
    Silentnight studio
    Simba cool foam
    Emma hybrid

Only Silentnight and Sealy from the old guard, amongst the host of new bed in a box foam mattress makers.

Most offer a trial period, which is great to try and make sure it’s right for you, and I believe most of the top 10 are actually also manufactured in the UK.

Master
    +1 for Vi-spring. We are on our second. Very expensive with two layers of pocket springs but so comfy and supportive. Given the amount of time spent in it better value than a Rolex sub! Which mag only considers value for money and concentrates on the less expensive beds.
    Last edited by Slamdoor; 9th September 2020 at 06:32.

Master
    I bought a Sealey Jasmine a couple of years ago, it's like sleeping on a block of concrete, I had to spend extra money on a good quality Dorma memory foam topper, but my shoulders still hurt like hell, its probably just me getting old and falling to pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Interestingly the top 10 rated mattresses were as follows:

Eve premium hybrid
    Emma original
    Casper essential
    Eve original
    Eve lighter hybrid
    Sealy Teramo
    Simba hybrid
    Silentnight studio
    Simba cool foam
    Emma hybrid

Only Silentnight and Sealy from the old guard, amongst the host of new bed in a box foam mattress makers.

Most offer a trial period, which is great to try and make sure it’s right for you, and I believe most of the top 10 are actually also manufactured in the UK.
    Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    +1 for Vi-spring. We are on our second. Very expensive with two layers of pocket springs but so comfy and supportive. Given the amount of time spent in it better value than a Rolex sub! Which mag only considers value for money and concentrates on the less expensive beds.
    Value is definitely an element in their considerations, but for most people £1000 to £1500 for a mattress alone (king/super) isn't considered too cheap, which is the price point on a few of their top 10 rated beds.

I prefer to sleep on natural materials (cotton, wool, down, etc) not a by-product of the petro-chemical industry. It's for the same reason that I don't wear polyester shirts.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Foam...es%20of%20foam.

Foam eventually breaks down into small granules which you then breath in. If you wake up in the morning with a sniffle or wheeze, this is probably why.