closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattresses - Emma

Mattresses - Emma

All,

Thinking of getting a new one and this looks just the ticket.

https://www.emma-mattress.co.uk/

Any other members own one or have any other recommendations?

Best,

Ben

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Just taken delivery of an Emma last Friday, let it stand for a couple of days to expand and slept on it last night for the first time.

I though it was OK but my wife likes a softer more enveloping sort of mattress so thought it a bit hard. I have sent an email to Emma asking for a soft comfort layer which I understand they will send for free.

I can report back after further trials if you wish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello

Yes please be good to hear your thoughts.

Did you get the Jan Discount?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Mattresses - Emma

30% yes, Boxing Day discount.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    It does annoy me that these seem to be permanently discounted at anything between 20 & 30%, pity help anyone that pays RRP

Craftsman
    What makes the Emma better than the Casper, eve etc?

I need a new mattress but have recently been diagnosed with a specific type of arthritis so my physio says I may need to try a few.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post

I need a new mattress but have recently been diagnosed with a specific type of arthritis so my physio says I may need to try a few.
    There are so many of these mattress in a box products nowadays and I’ve no idea which is the best, I simply went by the Which reviews. Most of them have 100 day trials so theoretically you could try all of them over the next couple of years!

Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    There are so many of these mattress in a box products nowadays and I’ve no idea which is the best, I simply went by the Which reviews. Most of them have 100 day trials so theoretically you could try all of them over the next couple of years!

I wonder if they're all made in the same factory?

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I wonder if they're all made in the same factory?

n2
    Maybe, who knows. I know for a fact that all mattresses are way overpriced, particularly the foam ones, can you believe there is a Tempur one for £17k!

Which rank Emma top in their latest mattress review.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Which rank Emma top in their latest mattress review.
    and the previous 2 tests, sole reason for my choice, as good a way as any to choose I suppose.

Hello

That’s why I’m looking at Emma.

Harrison, every time. No regrets. Definitely consider them.

https://www.harrisonspinks.co.uk/

EDIT to add: we bought 2 in 2012, holding up very well. Just bought 2 more for a new property - had one delivered and the other is arriving in 2 weeks. Really, really happy.
    Last edited by cman; 22nd January 2019 at 00:23.

Had one last year but both the wife and I really struggled with it. Firmer than the traditional “medium” mattresses we have had in the past, and I didn’t manage a single night where I didn’t wake up in the early hours with discomfort. As a side sleeper, lumbar and shoulder regions were particularly troublesome. They get terribly warm too. Annoyingly so. Thankfully had it in the cooler months but it would have been unbearable in summer.

Customer Services sent a foam topper in an attempt to allieviate the comfort issues but it didn’t help. In the end sent the mattress back after the full trial period and received a full refund after a reminder or two, but no issues with delivery or collection. They let me keep the topper too but it literally is a sheet of uncovered foam so nothing fancy or expensive.

The collection driver did state they collect quite a few but by and large the majority do keep them. A lot of reviews also mention strong chemical smells but I think we were fortunate as that certainly wasn’t an issue for us.

Nothing to lose if you do decide to try one although I must admit I struggle to see the value in them now that I’ve seen them (Emma , Casper, Simba etc) first hand.

Forgot to add, Ben. Have a read of John Ryan’s website. They have a comprehensive mattress guide with plenty of submitted questions regarding these new foam style beds. They have a no quibble return policy too (60 nights). I was really impressed with their service and personal advice when identifying a replacement when I’d sent the Emma back.

Hello

RLE,

Will have a look.

Thanks.

Goodnight all.

Best,

Ben

Master
    We bought a Silentnight 3 Zone Memory Foam mattress 3/4 years ago and it's great, I've never slept better and always look forward to coming back to my bed when I've been away working!

Less than half the price of the Emma and also a Which Best Buy winner, since 2012!

https://www.silentnight.co.uk/catalo...e/category/12/

Craftsman

Mattresses - Emma

I’ve spend 5k on mattresses in the last 5 years. I suffer with lower back problems. I’m 6’ 5” and 16 stone, Mrs peedog is 5’7 and 9 1/4 stone. We like and need different types of mattress, if it isn’t firm Mrs peedog wakes up with dead legs and I wake up with a painful, stiff lower back. Too hard for me and I wake up aching in shoulders, back and hips but no lower back pain. It seemed like I was never gonna win!

I have found that most pure foam, Temper or other manufacturers with the latest greatest - memory foam, latex foam, non-temperature sensitive (which memory foam is) they are fine for up to a year and then the dreaded “dip” starts and this is due to the foam losing its recovery ability.

We now have this one - https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Pro...Mattress-P1396

Too firm for me but Mrs peedog loves it (fnar fnar). We put a thick down topper on it then a standard quilted one and it was perfect for Mrs peedog, but too firm for me still as it wasn’t relieving my overnight joint pressure.

I bought some 2” r500 foam and cut it to size for my side of the bed and put it directly on top of the mattress (being foam onto fabric it won’t slip) under both toppers. It is now perfect for us both. I no longer wake up with lower back pain or stiff joints.

.....well maybe the one stiff joint

Conclusion over my 5 years “research” is a spring mattress with a good depth of topping.

Good luck in your quest.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by peedog; 22nd January 2019 at 10:59.

Craftsman
    We have Simba mattresses throughout the house, I'm a big fan of them.
    There is a whole thread somewhere on here about Simba which may be worth a look if you can find it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I got the IKEA foam one that had a memory foam layer - reckon'd on IKEA have more buying power than all these new companies. Couldn't be happier with it - been really excellent and less than half the price of all these new ones.

It came rolled up and had to be left for 18 hours like the in-box ones. It's even styled the same with different coloured sides.
    Last edited by Albellisimo; 22nd January 2019 at 11:56.

Master
    I sent a Simba back recently - comfy but cheap foam which was way too hot at night.

I ordered an Emma but they were completely incompetent at delivery so ended up getting a refund before they even delivered it and ended up complaining to the ASA over their misleading delivery times. They struck me as a very small, poorly run organisation.

I am waiting on a John Ryan mattress which I hope will finally meet my needs.

Master
    Personal thing mattresses. I bought one of the higher end foam jobbies with gel cooling technology etc and it lasted 3 weeks. Just reflected most of the body heat straight back at you and even on a cold winters night I felt like I was lying in a slow-cooker!

Much happier with a conventional pocket sprung mattress and have a Somnus (Harrison Spinks premium range) which is pretty good. I do wish I'd gone the extra mile and bought a Vi-spring. You can't put a price on a consistent good nights sleep and they feel the nicest of all I have tried.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    After another night on the new Emma, I’m worried that it’s going to be too hot in warmer weather, I woke up a couple of times not because of discomfort but because I was too warm.

Here's an edited post of mine from a couple of years ago:

I'm not sure about foam mattresses. Over time, through compression and friction, the foam breaks down into smaller and smaller particles, until you end up with clouds of foam 'dust'- which you then inhale. I suspect the current PR push for foam mattresses is because it's cheaper than sprung in terms of material and manufacturing.

Also, I find them hot, no matter what the manufacturers say in their marketing guff. IMO a mattress needs ventilation.

I don't think you can beat a traditional, good quality pocket sprung mattress for comfort and durability. And I wouldn't buy any mattress that could not be turned over (side-to-side, end-to-end) periodically.

Disclosure: In a previous career I spent a good few years working in a sofa and bed retailer.
    Last edited by Alpha4; 22nd January 2019 at 11:28.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by peedog View Post
    I’ve spend 5k on mattresses in the last 5 years. I suffer with lower back problems. I’m 6’ 5” and 16 stone, Mrs peedog is 5’7 and 9 1/4 stone. We like and need different types of mattress, if it isn’t firm Mrs peedog wakes up with dead legs and I wake up with a painful, stiff lower back. Too hard for me and I wake up aching in shoulders, back and hips but no lower back pain. It seemed like I was never gonna win!

I have found that most pure foam, Temper or other manufacturers with the latest greatest - memory foam, latex foam, non-temperature sensitive (which memory foam is) they are fine for up to a year and then the dreaded “dip” starts and this is due to the foam losing its recovery ability.

We now have this one - https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Pro...Mattress-P1396

Too firm for me but Mrs peedog loves it (fnar fnar). We put a thick down topper on it then a standard quilted one and it was perfect for Mrs peedog, but too firm for me still as it wasn’t relieving my overnight joint pressure.

I bought some 2” r500 foam and cut it to size for my side of the bed and put it directly on top of the mattress (being foam onto fabric it won’t slip) under both toppers. It is now perfect for us both. I no longer wake up with lower back pain or stiff joints.

.....well maybe the one stiff joint

Conclusion over my 5 years “research” is a spring mattress with a good depth of topping.

Good luck in your quest.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I have similar issue with back pain, got divorced so needed to invest in household items. Went round and round trying different mattresses, don't understand the mechanics of foam but couldn't get my head round and see how foam could be consistent over period of time. Went for vispring in the end

Now, my problem is I work away so you can imagine some of the beds I have to endure and likewise the limited time I get to spend in my own home bed, the vispring was a firm tension. At first great (lower back nice) then after a couple of times started to develop shoulder pain. With the vispring you have 90 days to exchange so went back to the shop and decided on changing for a medium tension. Great first couple of times then started suffering lower back pain when sleeping on side (sleeping on back is fine but majority is side). I have relegated myself to the spare single bed for the last 11 months when at home and now looking to sell the vispring on. I may be wrong but think that the original issue of shoulder pain on the firm could have been alleviated by buying one of their mattress toppers but this wasn't brought to my attention when discussing with retailer - its a blumin minefield out there to try and pick the right mattress but like others will get there eventually

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    After another night on the new Emma, I’m worried that it’s going to be too hot in warmer weather, I woke up a couple of times not because of discomfort but because I was too warm.
    No matter what their advertising claims, all memory foam mattresses are going to be like this & if you are warm now it will many times worse come the summer. I tried an Ergoflex & sent it back & I now have a Latex Sense latex mattress & didn't find it too warm last summer.

Master
    Many people like the Hypnos beds that Premier Inn use & you can buy them:
    https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why...y-our-bed.html

No extended trial unfortunately unless you go & live in a Premier Inn for a while.

Master

Hypnos...

Another thumbs up for Hypnos.

Good enough for the Queen, good enough for me!

Only sleep on natural fibres is my advice, do not skimp on a mattress given the amount of time you spend in it, my top tip is ViSpring, wouldn't buy anything else having had two now.

Simba for me. Had it about 18 months now. Very comfy but I’ve noticed the middle seems higher than the sides where we lie

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    Couldn’t work it out myself either when I was looking.
    I looked at all of them (Casper/Eve/Emma/Otty/god knows whatever else) and game acros ma a Guy on Twitter who’d slept on all of them for their trial periods. The one that seemed to most consistently get the best reviews was the Simba as (at the time) was the only one that apparently had springs and foam was also the one that he’d ranked the best.

I bought one and it’s been pretty good. It does get a bit warm but not unbearable and it’s great this time of year.

Craftsman
    Mammoth if your not keen on or too hot in memory foam. Supposedly a sport recommend but even the sedentary have to sleep. Had mine nearly 3 years and still as good as it was then.

Blog Entries
    I have had a kingsize Leesa since 2016 and it has been comfortable and overall excellent.

It is the Which? Dec 2018 Best Buy, and right now it has 25% discunt o their website
    BWs
    F

We have one of these that the tennis player jumps up and down on its nice

https://uk.tempur.com/mattresses/hyb...YBRID1730.html

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    ]

I don't think you can beat a traditional, good quality pocket sprung mattress for comfort and durability. And I wouldn't buy any mattress that could not be turned over (side-to-side, end-to-end) periodically.
    Agree with this. We got our pocket sprung latex mattress (turnable with winter and summer sides) from John Lewis a good few years ago as a wedding present and it is still going strong. At the time it felt like it cost a fortune, (luckily it was a present) but now has converted us to spending on a decent mattress when we get our next one. The real proof of this is staying at decent hotels and preferring our mattress at home.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Mattresses - Emma

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I have had a kingsize Leesa since 2016 and it has been comfortable and overall excellent.

It is the Which? Dec 2018 Best Buy, and right now it has 25% discunt o their website
    BWs
    F
    Confusingly about 10 mattresses are Best Buys, which doesn’t help a lot.

UPDATE: Just checked there are 17 Best Buys!
    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by wjkerfoot; 22nd January 2019 at 17:46.

Another + for Hypnos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Many people like the Hypnos beds that Premier Inn use & you can buy them:
    https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why...y-our-bed.html

No extended trial unfortunately unless you go & live in a Premier Inn for a while.
    I sleep in Premier Inns when away with work and I have to say their beds are very comfortable, I will definitely look at a Hypnos mattress the next time we are ready to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    I sent a Simba back recently - comfy but cheap foam which was way too hot at night.

I ordered an Emma but they were completely incompetent at delivery so ended up getting a refund before they even delivered it and ended up complaining to the ASA over their misleading delivery times. They struck me as a very small, poorly run organisation.

I am waiting on a John Ryan mattress which I hope will finally meet my needs.
    Can I ask which JR mattress you went for? I also struggle on foam due to getting too hot

I've got a King Size Otty

www.otty.com

My purchase was influenced by the fact the company I work for built the website and did some consultancy for them

Had it about 4 months and really like it - seems to have alleviated my lower back issues I was experiencing in the morning.

Such a personal thing though I think you have to make the leap and trial one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_t View Post
    Can I ask which JR mattress you went for? I also struggle on foam due to getting too hot
    Artisan Pocket 2000 in medium. It has been excellent so far.

We have one of these mattresses, but modified a little(because the are too huge). I have an advice for you! NEVER buy foam memory mattress! NEVER! Especially if you have any problems with your back or neck. Believe me, you'll have one after a short time of its usage! Anyway, for a long time we slept on an old sofa, which had really uncomfortable with its old frame, and an old pad.
    And only some month ago we decided to renovate our "bed". We've changed our pillows either. I got a consultation from the specialist, she said to get rid of any neck pains, you need to sleep on a special roll instead of ordinary pillows. Did anybody tried them? Or is that too much? Anyway, now our mattress isn't hot, it's absolutely comfortable to sleep on it.

I’ve been a Tempur evangelist for years, but I recently bought a Casper Hybrid for a second home and I am total convert.

Master
    Recently bought an IGel celestial platinum (due to a bad lower back) only slept on it once but my back has been a lot better today. So fingers crossed and all that.

Craftsman
    We have an Emma mattress in our holiday apartment and it's comfy enough. It feels cheap to me though as when you sit on the edge of the bed it squashes flat. We also have a Simba mattress at home which is a bit more substantial but ultimately these are the modern type of foam mattress and they are mostly hype and marketing and not a lot of substance.

We've recently replaced the mattress we sleep on every night and gone for a Loaf Top Dog. The Loaf mattress is much more substantial and I feel overall that traditional mattresses are a better product.

Having said all that, it's a very personal choice.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Had a Simba for around two/three months now. Absolute love it. Getting it from a grey dealer at half retail also helped me sleep more soundly too.

Hello

Reigniting this thread as i actually have some money to get one now.

Any more thoughts on Emma and others?

Best,

Ben

I had thought of getting one but eventually we bought a medium Silentnight. It's a couple of months old now and find it excellent. Last one was Silentnight and over 7 years was excellent too.

We got an Emma 3 weeks ago. Delivery etc. was very straightforward. We are pleased with it as well, I find it more comfortable than our old fashioned sprung mattress.

The chemical smell they warn you about has largely gone but not completely, so be aware of that. Doesn’t really bother us but not ideal. Also leave it overnight before you use it, to expand properly; I don’t know why they say it will be ready in a few minutes.

Hello

Thanks, its a nightmare looking at all this lot.

My parents have decided they want to replace their mattress as well so trying to look for them as well.