closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buffalo Shirts (or similar)

Master

Buffalo Shirts (or similar)

I went up Snowdon Yesterday for the first time in a while and I think I've got the bug.

One of the lads we went with had a Buffalo super 6 on and he swears by it.

They seem like an easy way to make sure you are nearly always dressed properly.

Does anyone have experience of them?

Their product range is confusing.

I cant work out which is the warmest etc.

I would say I normally get hot. I ended up descending yesterday in just a Nike Pro base layer and it was -2. (I went up in a base layer, fleece and a waterproof and was boiling)

I'm not sure if a super 6 will just be miles too hot for me.

I'm open to other options if you guys have experience. There is a potential Kilimanjaro trip being threatened next year and if I can deal with the camping maybe Everest to follow ( I know this sounds ridiculous but I generally don't do things by halves)

Craftsman
    I have worn Buffalo shirts for possible 30 odd years (ex Military). They are my favourite bit of kit. My old one gave up the Ghost last year and I went straight out and bought another Special 6 shirt. I wear it everyday for walking the dogs etc, even on the coldest days I never wear more than a t shirt under it and have never been cold. Even when they get wet, they are still very warm. You can open the side zips to vent. If you sweat it wicks the sweat away and doesn't allow you to get cold. Big big fan, my go to shirt.

I've had one a long time ago and also a very similar Berghaus top. Personally I find I get too hot in them. Maybe it comes down to my (poor) fitness levels but when climbing I often prefer to just be in a base layer.

Old fashioned layering seems to work best for me. Base layer, micro fleece and a shell. I've been known to pack a hollofil jacket to throw on during rest stops when it's very cold

David

I’m a big fan of them when it is cold, like properly cold or I get too hot. As I’m tall the Special Six works best for me and I love that I can just put that on and that’s it, just use the vents to adjust my temp. I would make sure I went and tried some on though as the fit is crucial, I ended up sizing down a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was reading that you're supposed to wear these next to your skin with no base layer. Something about wicking way the sweat more effectively but I couldn't get my head round the idea of wearing a fleecy thing without a shirt or T-shirt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I was reading that you're supposed to wear these next to your skin with no base layer. Something about wicking way the sweat more effectively but I couldn't get my head round the idea of wearing a fleecy thing without a shirt or T-shirt.
    Yes that's correct. My mate wears a Nike Pro style base under his and just walks around with the vents open.

I think my real question is there one of these or otherwise which is a bit less warm but has the same features?

I'm pretty tall and have wide shoulders so I'm not sure whats best for fit

Master
    I've got the Montane version - their Extreme Smock. There are sone scratchy bits where labels etc are stitched behind the kangaroo pocket at the front that would irritate the hell out of me if wearing directly against the skin. Not sure if Buffalo are contructed differently?

For walking I found the Montane smock fine but for anything more strenuous even in coldish weather I absolutely boiled in it.

OP: I saw a Buffalo shirt recently that looked to be a lighter weight of the same style of pile pertex and I meant to look into it - will report back if I find the details.

I've got the buffalo 'active shirt' which is exactly the same cut and pile etc as the special 6, but with a newer updated outer shell that's supposed to be a bit less 'rustley'. I chose that over the special 6 purely because i preferred the colour. There is a thinner, less warm version of that called the 'active lite', which might be just what you're looking for
    Last edited by Brighty; 21st January 2019 at 16:10.

Craftsman
    I've only worn mine over a t shirt or some kind of base layer, such as pro skins or Helly H. But with a base layer as well, they are proper warm.

Master
    Until this thread I had never heard of them. Just did a quick google and they look like jackets to me. Why are they called shirts?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Until this thread I had never heard of them. Just did a quick google and they look like jackets to me. Why are they called shirts?
    Over the head smock type garments are called shirts. The coat types with zips all the way down the front are called jackets.

I've worn my belay jacket with no t-shirt and I can say I noticed any difference to when I did wear a t-shirt. I had to cinch down the waist quite tight to stop the wind whistling up, a t-shirt tucked into trousers does tend to stop that whistling.

Master
    Blog Entries
    http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/prod...ve-lite-shirt/

Ant and his mates where wearing them in the Andes last night but with a tee shirt underneath.

Several times I’ve been tempted to buy one,a lot of people like them but they seem best to me if your exerting yourself.
    Personally I prefer layers.
    Last edited by bwest76; 21st January 2019 at 19:48.

Craftsman
    Great for walking, I have also worn mine under a motorcycle jacket as a base layer. But when it rains, I change to Parimo kit.

Do they go around the outside? Obscure?

Master
    Too warm for me most of the time these days but loved mine when I was in the forces, if it was properly cold and low activity I’d buy another in a heartbeat however I find paramo to be better for me not as warm and more waterproof.

I have a buffalo smock but much prefer my paramo velez smock as less warm and supports more or a layering approach..

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/prod...ve-lite-shirt/

Ant and his mates where wearing them in the Andes last night but with a tee shirt underneath.

Several times I’ve been tempted to buy one,a lot of people like them but they seem best to me if your exerting yourself.
    Personally I prefer layers.
    100% agree. Much prefer the flexibility of layers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeo View Post
    I have a buffalo smock but much prefer my paramo velez smock as less warm and supports more or a layering approach..
    I gave a link to a cooler version

Craftsman
    I have a Belay jacket of theirs. Excellent product, made in Sheffield. Never felt cold. Absolute bargain prices.

Master
    Buffalo smocks are definitely meant to be worn next to the skin. The lining is water hating so it pushes sweat towards the Pertex outer. If you wear a base layer you just add two water hating layers together and you overheat.

Steve

That looks to warm for hillwalking exept in really cold conditions, paramo do a velez which i use which is plenty warm enough they also do a velez lite which is more suited to milder conditions, is the buffalo waterproof and breathable if you put a shell over that i think you would boil

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    That looks to warm for hillwalking exept in really cold conditions, paramo do a velez which i use which is plenty warm enough they also do a velez lite which is more suited to milder conditions, is the buffalo waterproof and breathable if you put a shell over that i think you would boil

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    To be fair, the thread was created in January when the weather was probably rather cooler, and your reply has just been posted a few days after we had record breaking 'Scorchio' UK temperatures!

The OP is probably looking into bikini-tops or string vests for his current walking attire....