Master

Watch out watches.....

I've got the gear...

Looking forward to having a go.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Look like you’re ready to pull teeth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If you are right handed then put all your tools on the right side, left, left side. That way you won't be putting your arm over the movement and parts to get tools.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just pick a pair of tweezers and get used to them, the others are for smaller parts, hairsprings etc. Best to get used to one pair first though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Look like you’re ready to pull teeth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha! I think it will be the horological equivalent. Without anaesthetic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    If you are right handed then put all your tools on the right side, left, left side. That way you won't be putting your arm over the movement and parts to get tools.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just pick a pair of tweezers and get used to them, the others are for smaller parts, hairsprings etc. Best to get used to one pair first though.
    Thank you for the advice, the arrangement in the photo was just for show but I did struggle this weekend as my tools were all over the place so I need to be a bit more ordered.

I will also take up the advice re tweezers I was a bit confused with which ones to use in which circumstance. I did end up using a pair in each hand at one point.

Craftsman
    Try to just keep it to one pair in your dominant hand. If you can't get something or can't hold something then change the orientation of the movement or the piece.

Well worth getting a unitas/ETA big pocket watch movement and taking it apart and putting it back together. Everything is at a nice scale and easy to pickup and manipulate.

Grand Master
    On the subject of tweezers, it’s important to keep the tips in good condition. A stone or a diamond file is needed to dress the ends when ncessary, The tips should meet, with no gap, and continue to remain in contact when light pressure is applied. The contact should be approx 3mm long, slightly less for the fine ones. I dress mine with a very slightly squared off end, with both points equal, this helps when picking up tiny parts.

The purists will disagree with me, but Rodico is v. useful for picking up small screws and parts. Always use the premium grade and ensure it’s clean.

Plenty of light, and a bench at the correct height, are a must. My bench is 40”, and I use a draftsmans chair at different heights depending on what I’m doing.

An ultrasonic bath is a must for cleaning parts.

If you need further advice drop me a PM. I found cost-effective answers to several problems, my facilities aren’t brilliant but with careful working procedures and technical rigour its possible to achieve good results. I have a scientific/laboratory background and I have to admit that helped a lot. Over a lengthy career I learned how to improvise and work out how to do things...........definitely a case of transferrable skills!

Dn’t try to run bfore you can walk. Learning the technique of handling small parts with tweezers is a skill in itself, it’s worth practising to get the feel of it. That’s why you’re best using one pair of tweezers at first, and use your dominant hand. Also learn to use pegwood, tweezers in one hand and pegwood in the other is a good trick when locating parts. Finger cots are a must too, I can’t wear them for long but for certain jobs they’re essential.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th February 2019 at 00:33.

Master
    Thank you both for the continuing advice. I had not known about tweezer dressing so there is another thing to add to the shopping list.

Unfortunately my workstation is fairly unsuitable (it is the dining table but there is currently nowhere else) but I do use a nursing chair which lowers me so my shoulders are just about level with the table which saves my back and neck somewhat.

Thanks to the generosity of several forum members I have a number of mechanisms to work on. The first one I started on was a Seagull ST-3600 (very similar to an ETA/Unitas 6497) so is a good size and simple (no auto or date complications as recommended by you Paul). I had great fun with it and was planning on doing a bit of a write up about sometime soon. I will certainly need more advice as the rebuild stalled when an Incablock clip came out of its slot in the balance bridge.

Thanks again.

Will

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Thank you both for the continuing advice. I had not known about tweezer dressing so there is another thing to add to the shopping list.

Unfortunately my workstation is fairly unsuitable (it is the dining table but there is currently nowhere else) but I do use a nursing chair which lowers me so my shoulders are just about level with the table which saves my back and neck somewhat.

Thanks to the generosity of several forum members I have a number of mechanisms to work on. The first one I started on was a Seagull ST-3600 (very similar to an ETA/Unitas 6497) so is a good size and simple (no auto or date complications as recommended by you Paul). I had great fun with it and was planning on doing a bit of a write up about sometime soon. I will certainly need more advice as the rebuild stalled when an Incablock clip came out of its slot in the balance bridge.

Thanks again.

Will
    Good movement to start on, kif and inca springs require a delicate touch to not release them when opening them to remove the jewels, practice is key here. If you have lost it I can send you some new ones.

I would highly recommend a 'bone' next, component probes are essentially the same thing, I use a perspex rod that I have turned to a point at one end and a flat at the other. So for example when removing or installing yoke springs I place the flat end over the spring and then remove it with the tweezers, so it can't fly off. Same thing with placing bridges on the plate, use the bone to hold it in place and then place the screws in and tighten up, this stops it moving and any chance of damaging anything. They are called bones as they used to use bone tips as it doesn't mark the metal.

Master
    Thank you for the further advice. I had been using a bamboo skewer as I had seen similar items being used in various videos. Now I know what to look for I shall put it on the shopping list.

Thank you also for the offer of the clip. Fortunately I found it (after five minutes of careful inspection of my clothes and a further five minutes examining the carpet). Haven't had the opportunity to try to fit it but hope to do so this weekend.

Tapatapatapatapatalk