closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replicas - is there really nothing can be done?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Hmmmm....but the evidence is against you! Despite the world being flooded with fake Rolexs, their resale values continue to be insanely high - and increasing!!
    And indeed my point! Not trying to rock the boat, but I often hear challenges against this opinion.

For me, it's most about what the income for these watches funds (i.e. unethical businesses, money laundering, terrorism etc).
    That's the main reason I won't buy one, but the perception I see in many areas is "well I've got a real one, so no one is allowed to have a fake" (tongue in cheek, not directed at anyone - playing devil's advocate).

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Maybe they could teach Rolex how to do better bezel colours on the BLRO

I'm not an expert on the 6-digits but that looks instantly fake.

The way crystal and case merge look very, very fake, matte and "plasticy" (is that even a word?)

That 24h hand should be over the hour hand and not like this.

Junk.

Quote Originally Posted by arun1uk View Post
    And indeed my point! Not trying to rock the boat, but I often hear challenges against this opinion.

It’s a different opinion - simply. Unless you deem your opinion to be fact.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    It’s a different opinion - simply. Unless you deem your opinion to be fact.
    I haven't stated its my opinion anywhere (I've made my position clear), but I understand your point.

Quote Originally Posted by arun1uk View Post
    I haven't stated its my opinion anywhere (I've made my position clear), but I understand your point.
    Apologies- I misread your post

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Maybe they could teach Rolex how to do better bezel colours on the BLRO

That looks like something Fisher Price make

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I spoke to my local Rolex AD on Wednesday about getting in the queue for a GMT Master ll Pepsi and was told that it would be years (ie 3-4 years). Now, I knew there would be sizeable list, but that is ridiculous and I'm not willing to perpetuate the Rolex value nonsense by paying over double the RRP on the grey market (cheapest I can find in £13,500).
    Unless you are a huge spender with your AD, I would have thought that 3-4 years wait for a 126710BLRO is a pipe dream. Said it before but I was in my AD the morning the model was announced and the sales assistant had a desktop full of bits of paper with names and numbers of people after one. I hope I am wrong in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I did try to contact Tudor as per my post but they have no contact us button on their site. I’m sure they wouldn’t be interested anyway or are fully aware.

There's a lot more than Tudor to ask
    Gray

I don't think replicas harm the likes of Rolex one jot. In fact it's print a sign of increasing allure of the real thing. As stated no one in their right mind is looking at purchasing a Rolex then gets frustrated and goes for a knock off. Replicas hurt brands lower in the food chain at a similar price point. I have no wish to be disparaging if those who buy them, many don't understand why mechanical watches cost so much. It's up to them if they wish to spent their money on a product that won't last them a month rather than go for an affordable brand.

I understand some replicas might have ETAs inside them. I'd be interested in knowing if they would be viewed differently of they had a different company's name on the ie more of an homage??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jumpingjalapeno; 21st January 2019 at 22:54.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    There's a lot more than Tudor to ask
    Ok then I’ll make it my life’s work to contact ALL brands. Better? *

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Unless you are a huge spender with your AD, I would have thought that 3-4 years wait for a 126710BLRO is a pipe dream. Said it before but I was in my AD the morning the model was announced and the sales assistant had a desktop full of bits of paper with names and numbers of people after one. I hope I am wrong in your case.
    Thanks David. I'm certain you are correct. I'm not a prolific spender with any particular AD unfortunately. I totally understand that this choke on supply by Rolex strengthens their brand, 'exclusivity' & values etc (whether I fully agree with it is a different matter - but that might sound like sour grapes because I can't get one! ). The bit that I don't understand is how AD's in smallish UK towns with already struggling high streets (where my AD is) can be comfortable with this when they must rely on pretty much every sale & regularity for turnover in order to keep going in a financially efficient way.

Maybe I'm totally missing something or their margins on each unit are huge and it really doesn't affect them.

For Rolex, the AD's margin is 37%. For other makes it is 40-50%.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Interesting - never knew that, thanks. It's more than I thought actually but it still can't be that healthy if they can't physically get stock to pass on to the customer. Unless they just live off selling gold Datejusts, but I can't imagine that works well either.

Ok then I’ll make it my life’s work to contact ALL brands. Better? *
    Now you're getting somewhere 🤗
    Chances are there'll be an article or two, maybe even some research to seek out to save time.
    Gray

Nice to see you back!!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpingjalapeno View Post
    ..I understand some replicas might have ETAs inside them....

I suspect replicas have replica ETA movements inside them rather than the real thing. They might say genuine swiss eta movement, but they're already in the business of ripping people off so what does one extra fib matter?

http://watchguy.co.uk/comparison-sea...eacock-sl3000/

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Nice to see you back!!
    Thanks. Just testing the water.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    ... it still can't be that healthy if they can't physically get stock to pass on to the customer. Unless they just live off selling gold Datejusts, but I can't imagine that works well either.
    Small AD's only get a handful of the desirable steel sports models. In recent times the AD's themselves are putting the desirable models on the gray market, in order to benefit by the gray market margins... and only sell a small number (over the counter) at list, to valued customers. It is a mess. Only play, if you want to get played.

Rather random (verging on moronic) comment. Care to elaborate?
    Is there really nothing can be done? No. Nothing can be done. End of discussion. None of it affects any of us. Why think about it? Why post a link? There's no reason for that. Except...

Grand Master
    All the fuss is over a small number of watches in the Rolex range, to so-called 'desirable' sports watches. My understanding is that getting hold of the rest of the range isn`t difficult, and that's where the ADs do the bulk of their sales.

The world needs to forget about Rolex sports watches, the supply/demand situation's become self-perpetuating......demand increases because folks want what they can`t easily get.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd January 2019 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Is there really nothing can be done? No. Nothing can be done. End of discussion. None of it affects any of us. Why think about it? Why post a link? There's no reason for that. Except...
    I know you’re a doctor if your name’s anything to go by, but you are coming across as if you’re high on your own supply.

So you think I’m the central Scotland outlet for some Chinese replica manufacturer? Seriously buddy - lay off the medication. It’s for your patients.

I know you’re a doctor if your name’s anything to go by, but you are coming across as if you’re high on your own supply.

So you think I’m the central Scotland outlet for some Chinese replica manufacturer? Seriously buddy - lay off the medication. It’s for your patients.
    If your intention was really to do something to remove replica watches from the world, the first thing to do is not post links to where people can buy them.

Although, admittedly, maybe a link to a (probably) scam website will discourage people, too. I don't know what you're thinking.

Master
    Most replica 'discussions' on here end up in dispute which is counterproductive. I don't know about other makes but it would seem to me that Rolex have acknowledged the threat by incorporating features like the tiny laser engraved crown on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Nice to see you back!!
    Well spotted!
    Gray

Small AD's only get a handful of the desirable steel sports models. In recent times the AD's themselves are putting the desirable models on the gray market, in order to benefit by the gray market margins... and only sell a small number (over the counter) at list, to valued customers. It is a mess. Only play, if you want to get played.
    That's totally believable, especially given many stores allow staff to buy annually at a discount at least once. Why wouldn't an employee buy as cheap as possible for max profit?
    Gray

This may be a bit contentious and in all likelihood, utter bollocks, but what if the manufacturers don't actually give a flying fudge about fakes? Is it possible that the proliferation of fake watches actually encourages people to go to their local AD and buy a brand new watch rather than risking their money on a second hand watch thereby increasing profits? Tinfoil hat stuff indeed but I've always wondered why the major brands aren't part of something like the VERO program on eBay. Surely it wouldn't be a big hit on their profit margins to employ one or two guys to trawl eBay/etc and get all the obvious fakes removed. Christ, even Eddie gets fake Precistas removed - why not Swatch/Rolex/LVMH etc?

We're through the looking glass here people...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    This may be a bit contentious and in all likelihood, utter bollocks, but what if the manufacturers don't actually give a flying fudge about fakes? Is it possible that the proliferation of fake watches actually encourages people to go to their local AD and buy a brand new watch rather than risking their money on a second hand watch thereby increasing profits? Tinfoil hat stuff indeed but I've always wondered why the major brands aren't part of something like the VERO program on eBay. Surely it wouldn't be a big hit on their profit margins to employ one or two guys to trawl eBay/etc and get all the obvious fakes removed. Christ, even Eddie gets fake Precistas removed - why not Swatch/Rolex/LVMH etc?

We're through the looking glass here people...
    This does not seem that ludicrous.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    If your intention was really to do something to remove replica watches from the world, the first thing to do is not post links to where people can buy them.

Although, admittedly, maybe a link to a (probably) scam website will discourage people, too. I don't know what you're thinking.
    If anyone is stupid enough to buy one that’s their lookout. My post was hardly a glowing endorsement of their wares, but thanks for your advice.

How would a Swiss watch company go about stopping fakes being made in China? Respect for intellectual property is .....still at a nascent stage there. I doubt it matters whether they're furious or unfussed, ultimately they're powerless to stop them being made.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    How would a Swiss watch company go about stopping fakes being made in China? Respect for intellectual property is .....still at a nascent stage there. I doubt it matters whether they're furious or unfussed, ultimately they're powerless to stop them being made.
    That's very true, but its not as though people have to go to China to buy them! I read on here that Swiss authorities take a very hard line on fake (Swiss) watches, whilst in the UK, its a good old British fudge - owning a fake isn't illegal, but in so far as trademarks are infringed, its illegal to sell them (though its obviously fraud to represent your fakes as real). Trading Standards do occasional seizures, but with spending cuts there are hardly any staff or resources for this these days.

Craftsman

Fake news

I belive that cooyright laws do not exsit in china
    But would you really want to give these people your credit card details

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    I suspect replicas have replica ETA movements inside them rather than the real thing. They might say genuine swiss eta movement, but they're already in the business of ripping people off so what does one extra fib matter?

http://watchguy.co.uk/comparison-sea...eacock-sl3000/
    Fair point....

It is quite simple don't buy from "chinanoobwatch" then you have done something.

How good or poor they are doesn't affect any genuine watches.