closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Exercise bike, good or just somewhere to hang the washing?

Exercise bike, good or just somewhere to hang the washing?

There is a few fitness related threads going on in the G&D but I thought a more specific one on Exercise bikes would be a good.

So are they any good? what is the best way/program to lose weight or gain fitness, plus side for me is I have a spare bedroom I could put one and my crunchy knees are not best for running even though I'm trying to get out and a do a few miles so thinking a exercise bike may help..

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Just like everything, you need to have a good quality item.

I have a Kettler racer 9 and it is fantastic, german built, quiet, superb pedal feel and all the data you may want.

You will have to spend £5-600 min to get something decent. I don’t mind paying 2k+ for mine. It’s the best investment you can do for your health. I do 5-7k km a year on it.

Pedaling on a crap indoor bike is horrible.

You need to have a tv with an internet connection.

I am a keen cyclist and train a lot indoors every single day between 20 mins and 2h. I love it.

For training, use GCN spin sessions on youtube, there is one for every level. You will soon get a feel for what is good for you.

When you are not in the mood, you can always watch netflix!

The best way to train on these is fasted first thing in the morning. Like this your system go straight digging in your glycogen/ fat reserves. Instead of the food you have in your stomach.

Lastly, get a handle bar or a weight rack to cross train your upper body. Great for recovery and general body balance.

Lastly you need to have a reasonable (not drastic) food plan and away you go.

I have been doing this kind of stuff for 25 years and if put the effort in and find some enjoyment in the process, your life will change forever and for the better.

HTH.

I have used an EB 3 times a week since I turned 40 (I will be 50 this year ). I do 30mins moderate-hard cardio each session and believe it gives me a strong base level fitness that I build upon by riding to work everyday and walking 40km+ a week. Like all indoor exercise, discipline is a must and boredom is your enemy. I have been doing it so long now that I feel guilty if I dont do the bike on my designated days, or fail to hit 180km/mth of walking on Strava.

Its not possible to say if an EB is for you as what motivates me might bore you senseless. All you can do it buy one, agree a program with yourself that you mentally commit to, and work to keep it up long term. When I started I really didnt go into it with a steely resolve, that seemed to come over time.

If you have an existing bike why not consider a turbo trainer or rollers.

Personally I couldn't get on with the turbo, but my neighbour loves his, I tried it with 3 different bikes, so it now surplus to requirements as I now have rollers which take some getting used to but a lot more enjoyable and flexible.

Master
    I’d say it depends, I cycle 2-3 times per week on a mountain bike spring - autumn, I can’t be doing with all the mud we have in winter so don’t bother then. When I’m in the gym any season I avoid the cycles, I can’t stand them and use the rower instead.

I think rowing give you a more all over workout than cycling with the same cardio and seated non-weight bearing benefits too.

If you have a local gym perhaps have a couple of trial sessions to see if you have a preference before buying anything, if so perhaps give the cross trainer a go too.

Master
    Don't forget that the best way to lose weight is to eat less

Having said that, I would agree that you will not enjoy a cheap exercise bike. I do power based indoor bike training, and bought a cheap-ish Decathlon road bike, and strapped that to a turbo trainer.

I would also agree that you should have a TV / iPad stand or similar to keep your brain occupied.

I have also found that a rowing machine is a better all body exercise machine.

Pete

Craftsman
    I orginally purchased a cheap spin bike from fitnessusperstore but I found I was too heavy for it (im 17st) so ended up keeping it for my wife and buyin a commercial spin bike and use it very regularly. The commercial use spin bike was a lot more expensive but it withstands a lot of abuse. You can buy decent refurbished commercial spin bikes on ebay from gym clearances for £4-500 I agree that a tv/internet in front of it is a must otherwise you get very bored very quickly when just starig at a blank wall.

Its also another vote for GCN youtube spin classes as they are very handy for when you want to push yourself.

Journeyman
    Instead of buying exercise equipment, use what you have - your own bodyweight! There are plenty of exercises that you can do at home that will help you lose weight if done at a high intensity. E.g. try press ups, burpees and squats in quick succession. 3 sets of 20 will soon get your heart rate up!

Master
    I would look at a cross trainer. Still low impact and works a wider area of muscles.

Thanks for all the advice, its really helpful and amazing to see some of the dedication that goes into some members regular training, up until I asked about this I thought an exercise bike was just that but the spinning bikes seem better all round ..

So I have checked out a few used/refurbished spinning bikes on eBay and they seem quite reasonable, also the GCN YouTube channel looks brilliant for all levels..

Going on heart rate it seems like different maintained levels do different things as in weight loss, stamina, is this a very important factor or is it better to just follow a routine as in a GCN video?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Don't forget that the best way to lose weight is to eat less

Pete
    I'd have thought the best way would be to eat less, and exercise more

I bought a cheap cross trainer from Facebook marketplace became I wanted to be sure I'd use it. Now I know I have the willpower to stick with using it I'm looking to buy something nicer.

OP check gumtree/Facebook, loads of people will be offloading equipment they bought for the new year but haven't used.

You’re bound to get a good buy come February from gumtree or eBay 😂

Master
    If you're looking to see if it's right for you but don't want to break the bank then I can recommend this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JLL-Adjusta.../dp/B06XC8MC98

I recently bought one, wanting to upgrade from a broken entry-level bike (York Fitness) and having done a fair bit of checking out reviews. It's the more robust version of their IC300 and is a very sturdy bit of kit.

Master
    If you don't have a bike already then a spinning bike is a good idea. If you have a bike already that you're comfortable on then I would recommend a Tacx Neo 'smart trainer' .. A lot less boring than a regular or basic turbo trainer. I had a turbo trainer a few years back and quickly sold it on..
    With the Neo you can get hooked up on Zwift to ride with people all over the world or, just use the Tacx high definition video's they have shot in some lovely locations - you do need a regular subscription for each of these options but they are worth it..
    The Tacx is very quiet, very solid with just a slight bit of give when you're out of the saddle. It can represent a 25% hill and you can control it from your phone if you do not want to hook up a telly or pc. It can work either plugged into the mains for full features or unplugged with more limited features.
    They have just brought out the updated Neo 2 (although the new features on that have not been fully released), for approx. £1200.. But you can get the previous Neo for around £860 from Wiggle and other suppliers.. The Tacx Neo and Wahoo Kickr are generally considered to be the best of the bunch in 'smart trainers'..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

Going on heart rate it seems like different maintained levels do different things as in weight loss, stamina, is this a very important factor or is it better to just follow a routine as in a GCN video?
    I would buy a heart rate monitor. A lot of the exercise equipment may have one built in, but even if it does I'd get the chest strap. Last time I looked most were still using the polar system which meant that a polar exercise machine would communicate with a polar chest monitor to show readings on the machine and meant that you didn't have to hold the hand sensors all the time.

It's true about different heart rates doing different things BUT in my view the most important rule if you are starting to exercise more regularly is not exceeding your maximum recommended heart rate (MHR). The MHR is 220 minus your age and you will be surprised how easy it is to reach that if you are just getting back into a fitness regime. That's especially the case with spin machines, a friend of mine had a minor heart attack on one trying to keep up with a younger class so make sure you know your actual heart rate and exercise sensibly. As you gain fitness you will be able to exercise harder whilst still staying within the MHR.

Master
    I believe that heart rate calculation you stated is supposed to be quite crude now and out of date - but maybe it's close enough? I'm sure other posters on here/above will know ..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    If you're looking to see if it's right for you but don't want to break the bank then I can recommend this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JLL-Adjusta.../dp/B06XC8MC98

I recently bought one, wanting to upgrade from a broken entry-level bike (York Fitness) and having done a fair bit of checking out reviews. It's the more robust version of their IC300 and is a very sturdy bit of kit.
    That looks like great value and is positively a Rolls Royce compared to the thing I slog away on. Would you even need anymore assuming the reviews are reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    It's true about different heart rates doing different things BUT in my view the most important rule if you are starting to exercise more regularly is not exceeding your maximum recommended heart rate (MHR). The MHR is 220 minus your age and you will be surprised how easy it is to reach that if you are just getting back into a fitness regime. That's especially the case with spin machines, a friend of mine had a minor heart attack on one trying to keep up with a younger class so make sure you know your actual heart rate and exercise sensibly. As you gain fitness you will be able to exercise harder whilst still staying within the MHR.
    You can't exceed your Maximum Heart Rate and the 220 minus your age is a very rough estimate - works for some people and is way out for others. It'll also differ depending on the sport. My MHR while running is higher than on the bike. As a general rule though, if you're getting back into a sport or starting for the first time then building up gradually is very sensible.

If you have access to a bike already though, I'd definitely second the 'smart trainer' approach. A turbo trainer than changes resistance according to a pre-programmed workout is a real motivator (and there is no slacking off!!). The Tacx Neo is great (it's what I use) but there are significantly cheaper ones which do the same thing. Stick on a subscription to Zwift or (my personal choice) Sufferfest and you're away. I have the computer rigged up to our cinema screen whenever possible!

Master
    If you've never tried indoor cycling before I'd suggest you consider getting a turbo first. They are noisy (magnetic ones much less so) but cheaper than the alternatives and occupy almost no space. If you decide indoor cycling isn't for you then you shouldn't lose much when you sell it.

Another option is indoor rollers (which I've used for the last few years). They require a little getting used to but are excellent for pedalling technique, if that's something you care about. They are much quieter than a turbo and more 'engaging' since you have to balance the bike.

I used to row and rowing machines provide a phenomenal full-body workout but, to get the full benefit, require proper technique. They're also expensive - the industry standard is Concept 2 and these cost around GBP700 last time I looked. For most people, 10-15mins on them is enough so it would probably be something to have in addition to some other equipment.

In all cases, the key is to find a way of making it sufficiently enjoyable that you keep on going.

If you are local happy for you to borrow my turbo to see how you get on

Thanks for all the advice and even the offer to borrow a trainer

So I have gone the spinning route for now and bought a bike local to me, used but in great condition, my main factor is to become fitter, try and lose a few pounds in the process, we’ll about a stone and the main one bring my rested heart rate down, at the moment it’s around 63 - 67 (I’m 45) so would ideally like to get in the 50’s..

Also gradually changing my diet, I have been cutting out chocolate, crisps that sort of thing, eating more fruit with a chicken salad type lunch but having a regular family meal on an evening, also cutting out snacking at night, just a cup of tea now and leave the biscuit jar alone!!

I tried a beginner course/ride on YouTube and it was great, I really felt it and got a sweat on but I wasn’t blowing so I’m sticking to that for now and build it up, oh here is a picture of my new mate -

Buying secondhand is always a wise decision when it comes to fitness equipment.

Are the spin bikes loud? I have a turbo trainer but can't use it in the house due to the noise and end up in the garage which can be unpleasant this time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Are the spin bikes loud? I have a turbo trainer but can't use it in the house due to the noise and end up in the garage which can be unpleasant this time of the year.

One of the benefits of the Tacx Neo (and several of the direct drive TTs) is that they're a lot quieter. The Neo itself is quieter than the chain etc of the bike that's on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    One of the benefits of the Tacx Neo (and several of the direct drive TTs) is that they're a lot quieter. The Neo itself is quieter than the chain etc of the bike that's on it.
    sounds great - then I googled the price ;) I will have to keep an eye out for a bargain second hand one.

sounds great - then I googled the price ;) I will have to keep an eye out for a bargain second hand one.

The Tacx Flux is about half the price and whilst not quite as silent as the Neo it's supposed to be a lot more family-friendly than a traditional trainer.
    I use mine 4 or 5 times a week this time of year, usually training in the house, before the rest of the family are awake so noise is a key consideration for me!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    If you want absolute quietness and top quality engineering, for me there is only one brand: Kettler. They are expensive though.

These attributes are very important if you are looking at a long term proposition. I had turbo trainers in the past and they are a real PITA noise wise. Even Wattbikes are noisy. For me this is what makes the differences between using the machines 2-3 times and using it every single day. I have sometimes done 2h trainings on my Kettler. To be able to do that, you need to have a mind at rest... and be able to hear the television.

Grand Master
    Id buy a real bike either road or MTB depending on your location and preference and then get it on the turbo when its winter and come the sun (or if you are hardy) then get out on the fresh air and enjoy the freedom of 2 wheels
    RIAC