closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: An idea of value - 5513

Apprentice

Smile An idea of value - 5513

Hi Guys,

Following my post the other day where I was gently ribbed for some lousy photos , I have made another attempt with some updates.
    I visited my local Rolex dealer today and they confirmed the originality of my 5513 Submariner. The watch is 1965-66 confirmed by the serial number.
    Whilst I was in the store, I was approached by a customer in the store who was local to me and he expressed an interest in buying the watch for cash. I also was told by the staff in the store that the owner of the store might be interested in purchasing the watch for his personal collection. I have had expression of interest from online dealers. No one has actually made an offer as I have been repeatedly asked what i would like for the watch. Prices seem to vary....especially in the well known auction houses and dealers so i am not really sure what a realistic price should be.

Photos (better I hope) are attached

IMG_1836 2.jpg
    IMG_1847 2.jpg

Master
    If it’s any help, the picture is still not good enough to determine the dial condition. To reach top money the dial needs to be near perfect and resemble a mirror, no spots or tiny blisters and gloss black. Impossible to see from that picture but it would appear to have some of the minute track missing at 11-12 and it looks like the plots have been relumed.. Case looks good and insert is a cracker.

So how many potential buyers have you asked to make an offer so far?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

I remember the old days when you had to be a member for 180 days and have 250 posts if you wanted to sell a watch or some old shoes on Sales Corner.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    If it’s any help, the picture is still not good enough to determine the dial condition. To reach top money the dial needs to be near perfect and resemble a mirror, no spots or tiny blisters and gloss black. Impossible to see from that picture but it would appear to have some of the minute track missing at 11-12 and it looks like the plots have been relumed.. Case looks good and insert is a cracker.
    Plots look okay to me, Bob. I wonder if the missing minute track might just be a trick of the light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Prices seem to vary....especially in the well known auction houses and dealers so i am not really sure what a realistic price should be.
    Seems like you have now got an idea so: pick a number. I hope you have a flame proof coat - you may need it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Plots look okay to me, Bob. I wonder if the missing minute track might just be a trick of the light.
    Hmmm, plots 9, 10, 11, look a bit strange, could be a trick of the light with the minute track but still looks odd, decent pic would help. These can range from 10-25k so good pics or better still a visual valuation is imperative. If it were mine I would be hot footing over to see Haywood or Mike.

Plots at 3, 6, 9, 10 and 11 all look a bit relumed to me but I’d pay top money for that bezel insert!!

Joe (if that’s your name), we are very blessed to have one of the foremost experts on Rolex in the country as an active member of this forum, and I really don’t understand why you’re not approaching him for his opinion.

For the removal of all doubt, I’m talking about Haywood Milton.

Just PM him or phone him at Miltonaires.

The Mike referred to above is Mike Wood - also a member here and another significant authority.

Simon

Master
    I would think that it is near impossible to constructive comment in detail on the watch from the two poor images that you have posted.

If you are serious about wanting useful comments at least take the time to produce a number of good images from all aspects including the bracelet ... you do not have to be a professional photographer these days to do that

This is a watch Forum not Gumtree and you are almost insulting the watch by posting those images and asking for comments

Alas it's not a Bart Simpson, but looks nice. The plots look ok to me, but one way to check is to see whether it still glows in the dark - if yes, then I would say it's original. If not then it's likely to have been re-touched. Nice long 5 insert, that looks correct.

It's difficult to see in the photo, but I suspect the strap is later. It should be riveted.

As for value - what someone is prepared to pay, but the range seems to be between 14 to 25k.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Alas it's not a Bart Simpson, but looks nice. The plots look ok to me, but one way to check is to see whether it still glows in the dark - if yes, then I would say it's original. If not then it's likely to have been re-touched.
    Should that be the opposite? The original trit would have long stopped.
    It would also depend on when it had been redone though (multiple do look really quite wonky).

Edit: Nope. See Bluetinfloor's post below about why I'm mistaken
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 19th January 2019 at 00:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Should that be the opposite? The original trit would have long stopped.
    It would also depend on when it had been redone though (multiple do look really quite wonky).
    No - these mid 60’s subs and others have a lume mix that will still glow for a short time when charged under a light. Also many are called out as re lumes when they are not, the lume becomes puffy over time and can slip around and shrink revealing the dial plot template underneath.
    Last edited by Bluetinfloor; 18th January 2019 at 23:27.

Master
    Lume plots of this era will glow for a short period of time as the tritium was very aggressive, plots will puff up and shrink but very rarely spread see example below.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    No - these mid 60’s subs and others have a lume mix that will still glow for a short time when charged under a light. Also many are called out as re lumes when they are not, the lume becomes puffy over time and can slip around and shrink revealing the dial plot template underneath.
    Ahh interesting, thank you

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Three so far

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I would think that it is near impossible to constructive comment in detail on the watch from the two poor images that you have posted.

If you are serious about wanting useful comments at least take the time to produce a number of good images from all aspects including the bracelet ... you do not have to be a professional photographer these days to do that

This is a watch Forum not Gumtree and you are almost insulting the watch by posting those images and asking for comments
    My apologies if anyone is offended. . I am not a watch expert and know very little about watches. This was an inheritance and was in daily use. Nor am I an expert in photography apart from taking vacation snaps so I am limited in my judgement as to what are acceptable photos for the experts on here to make a valid assessment.

I don’t think anyone’s offended - frustrated would probably be a more accurate description. I’m no Rolex expert (although you don’t have to be to look at your watch in comparison to a Googled image and recognise that it appears to be a 5513) and certainly no photographer, but most of us on here take perfectly good in-focus photos using nothing more exotic than a smartphone in decent natural light.

There are people here prepared to help - including one or two genuine experts - you just need to reach out and meet them halfway...

Simon

^ This.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    My apologies if anyone is offended. . I am not a watch expert and know very little about watches. This was an inheritance and was in daily use. Nor am I an expert in photography apart from taking vacation snaps so I am limited in my judgement as to what are acceptable photos for the experts on here to make a valid assessment.
    It is very easy to take reasonable digital images these days - just part of "normal" life

use your smartphone or you can buy a good used digital camera for under £50, maybe as little as £10 - the images they take will certainly be good enough quality-wise for posting on the web

software to process the images comes free with the camera or there are many free programs you can download from the internet

to get useful info and a range of opinions on your watch I would suggest that you need to post close ups of the watch, face, bezel, hands, side views, rear view of the case, and images of the clasp and bracelet - I am not suggesting that you take the back off or dismantle the watch - I also would suggest that for any watch, particularly a valuable watch, is that you have images of the serial numbers and any descriptives on the watch....... all these images are not only good for appraisal purposes but also for your records in case it is stolen.

my post was not mean't to offend you, more to say, you can and should do better!!!

Craftsman
    Hi Joe,

I would say take the watch to an expert/s for a valuation in person. At least 2 opinions. It's a valuable watch and worth the effort surely. I don't see what you hope to achieve searching for opinions in forums, unless it's just to make the 'right contacts', which you already have been offered here.

Another alternative if you want to find a buyer via an online route is to pay a professional photographer to take high quality images. He won't be able to remove the case back though for images of the movement which any serious buyer would require to see.

For what it's worth (nothing), I would take it to a 'reputable' auction house Phillips, Christie's or WOK and let them sell it, then you would know the true market value.

I think it's worth £xxxxxx

Only kidding, it's only worth half that

Apprentice
    Looks a nice watch. I also have a 1977 maxi mk1 5513 from new. I was offered 13K, but not for sale. Hold on to it. The only way the prices are going is up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wayside2002 View Post
    Looks a nice watch. I also have a 1977 maxi mk1 5513 from new. I was offered 13K, but not for sale. Hold on to it. The only way the prices are going is up.
    If it’s a 77 it’s not a MK1 Maxi, it’ll be a ‘pre-comex’ dial - look it up, there are some subtle differences.