closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Porting mobile number to international sim

Porting mobile number to international sim

Hopefully the wife and I are off on hols to the Philippines for a few weeks in may / june. I've just been on our respective cellphone service providers and needless to say their costs for data & calls is mental. Does anyone know if its possible to temporarily transfer our existing UK mobile to an international sim card so we can benefit from lower costs? I've found these but you have to use the number thats preloaded on to the sim. Any other options are welcome.

https://www.worldsim.com/international-sim-card

Porting mobile number to international sim

Have you looked at 3 because they have the Feel at Home which does cover a lot more countries than just the EU!

Then you could pick up a sim only deal and port your number across

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just had a look out of interest:

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam#1214306366994

"Unfortunately Philippines is not a Go Roam destination yet. We're adding new destinations all the time though, so watch this space!"

Same story with EE.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Just had a look out of interest:

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam#1214306366994

"Unfortunately Philippines is not a Go Roam destination yet. We're adding new destinations all the time though, so watch this space!"

Same story with EE.
    Do they not have an add on for countries outside their Go Roam? Might be worth looking into, depending on the nature of the deal you have.

Edit: finding the add-ons for 3 is a royal pain! So I'm not sure you can for non-roam countries.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 18th January 2019 at 18:41.

Master
    Local sim and a update your UK phones vm to give your temp # and not take vm’s and ask for them to call the new # or email / WhatsApp

I’m overseas at mo, and for the first time, I’m using a dual sim adapter in my iPhone, bought a couple of data traveller sims at the airport on arrival, 10gb @ 4g for about a tenner, works for 14 days, at the sim supplier they set my phone and iPad up. On my phone I can switch between sims fairly easily with a couple button presses and off and on again, works a treat. Allows me to use emails and social media without interruption, missed calls and texts mean switching sim, but then why not put your new temporary number in your answer phone message, or even call divert?
    Got adapters from eBay, came from China so took about a week to get to me, but only a few pounds.
    On the iPad the adapter wouldn’t fit without modifying the holder so just put new sim in, result.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In asia I always buy a "tourist sim" at the airport. Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand are all cheap and straightforward so I assume Philippines will be the same.. Normally I get 30 days, calls, texts & 10gb or so for £10-15. I did need to top up by £5 in kl last time but I had been in and out of the country for 3 weeks by then.
    Just ditch the sim when it expires.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and I have dual SIM phone anyway. But if I did not, I would stick the home similar in a cheap brick for emergencies or just buy a cheap dual SIM. They come in very handy and it is rapidly becoming the norm in Asia.

Local SIM and VOIP (Facetime, Skype etc).

Craftsman
    How about having a holiday without a phone? Limit calls to your phone to family only in case of emergencies where the cost will not be of any concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    How about having a holiday without a phone? Limit calls to your phone to family only in case of emergencies where the cost will not be of any concern.
    As we used to!

You could forward your local mobile to a free VoIP number and access that one via the mobile.

Or just leave a message on your voicebox asking people to call via WhatsApp.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    In asia I always buy a "tourist sim" at the airport. Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand are all cheap and straightforward so I assume Philippines will be the same.. Normally I get 30 days, calls, texts & 10gb or so for £10-15. I did need to top up by £5 in kl last time but I had been in and out of the country for 3 weeks by then.
    This is what Ive been doing for a good few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Local SIM and VOIP (Facetime, Skype etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You could forward your local mobile to a free VoIP number and access that one via the mobile.

Or just leave a message on your voicebox asking people to call via WhatsApp.

Indeed. Divert your UK number to a, for example, UK SkypeIn number and access this using data on a local SIM card.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I'll take it on board and have a look

I'll look into these thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Sheer bloody madness that suggestion, lol.

This is what we do, much easier to pick up a local sim in most places except India where you have to leave a kidney as deposit.

I don’t have a dual sim phone so between the 2 of us we’ll keep a spare phone with a uk SIM in it.