closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 1680 Red question

Rolex 1680 Red question

Hi there,
    Every once in a while, I look at 1680's and 5513's on Chrono 24 and came across this:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/168...-id9871438.htm

How significant is a re-case to value?
    Is it one to avoid?

Even decent 5513's are around this price point now which is crazy:
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/551...-id9735587.htm

Master
    The seller has been very honest about the ‘issues’ which is good.
    If there is documentation (not likely by the wording) around the recase then ok(ish), the value reflects it and I assume everything else was from the one source and is original.
    The more significant point for me is the dial damage as the dial is where most of the value is.
    For both points if you ever resell then they will for sure have an impact on value. If it’s a keeper then no issue as regards that.
    Last edited by JP28; 18th January 2019 at 15:14.

Master
    Still a large sum to spend on a watch and I suspect the re-case issue would continue to niggle with any new owner. Struggling to see the damage at 6 on the photos, but again once you see it I suspect another issue that would rumble on. I would probably do without rather than these 2 compromises to get on this particular ownership ladder.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Still a large sum to spend on a watch and I suspect the re-case issue would continue to niggle with any new owner. Struggling to see the damage at 6 on the photos, but again once you see it I suspect another issue that would rumble on. I would probably do without rather than these 2 compromises to get on this particular ownership ladder.
    Agreed, dial edge chipping is a problem with reds and worth avoiding, I would imagine the re case could present problems if you decide to sell in the future. I personally would avoid it.

Master
    It's a nice looking watch to wear but if you decide to shift it on then you may have a bit more difficulty doing that.
    With experience in a few things like watches,cars and houses,you may get it initially a bit cheaper but the reason why it's cheaper can bug you a bit and comes back to haunt you when you move it on.

The issues with the watch is reflected in the price (£12.5k), therefore providing you remember that, assuming you want to sell it, then no problem . Think of it as a Cat C or Cat S car. Cheaper to buy, but for a good reason.

A 4.4m case simply shows the case was replaced by Rolex rather that it being a bit'sa. As for the Dial, only you can decide whether it's a stopper for you. Personally if I was in the market for a Red 1680 and only had £12.5k to spend, then I would give it serious consideration.

Alternatively buy another Red era watch with a later service Dial and simply swap the dials out before selling the 4.4m case and service Dial watch. Job done

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Alternatively buy another Red era watch with a later service Dial and simply swap the dials out before selling the 4.4m case and service Dial watch. Job done
    Isn't that how to make a Frankenwatch?

Its still a Red Sub no matter what chap if its been re-cased so be it , would be nicer if it had the paper work to support it
    That would cool but not a deal breaker and the price reflects this
    It does has a newer style bracelet my 73 Red has the folded type but still looks great

Master
    If I was spending up to £12.5k (I am not..) then I would prefer to get a no issue other variant, perhaps a white 1680 or good 5513 ?

Go Red

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Isn't that how to make a Frankenwatch?

Because its a correct period dial put into a correct period original case/movement with a correct period hands set and insert.

Now you could argue its a bitsa, but hardly Franken, but then you could equally apply a bitsa tag to every watch that has had parts replaced at some point. I would be amazed if there are many totally original watches (certainly Rolex) which are over 40 years old and perhaps why forums like the Vintage Rolex Forum sells so many spare parts.

Think of it as making one correct watch out of two "flawed" watches.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    If I was spending up to £12.5k (I am not..) then I would prefer to get a no issue other variant, perhaps a white 1680 or good 5513 ?
    Thank you all for your valuable advice.
    I agree that I should buy a watch which has no issues, otherwise it will just bug me.

There was another link in my post above to a 5513 around the same money from Vintage Concept in Hong Kong. It’s strong money but a lovely example.
    Will keep looking....

I would keep an eye on this site.

http://www.exoticwatches.net

He does get some stunning watches in and is highly respected over on TRF. I bought a 5512 off him a few years back and it was stunning.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

He does get some stunning watches in and is highly respected over on TRF. I bought a 5512 off him a few years back and it was stunning.
    Would have to agree with Wayne. Philippe has some stunning watches although they are top money as you would expect for such quality.

Wayne

Master
    Wayne
    Mr. Kerr, I presume?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Mr. Kerr, I presume?
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Because its a correct period dial put into a correct period original case/movement with a correct period hands set and insert.

Now you could argue its a bitsa, but hardly Franken, but then you could equally apply a bitsa tag to every watch that has had parts replaced at some point. I would be amazed if there are many totally original watches (certainly Rolex) which are over 40 years old and perhaps why forums like the Vintage Rolex Forum sells so many spare parts.

Think of it as making one correct watch out of two "flawed" watches.
    I think of it more as cannibalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Mr. Kerr, I presume?
    You horrible man...

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I think of it more as cannibalism.

Unless you know the entire history of a watch i.e one owner, full service history, all original parts, then it perhaps best to assume that every vintage watch has been subjected to some work in the past.

You migt consider it cannibalism, however I view it as recycling.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Also many people have bought vintage that contain the usual parts replaced at services over the years and them promptly set about sourcing original parts, fat font insert, superdome crystal, crown etc.

I think this is a perfectly normal thing to do. Although these parts are clearly not original to the watch they are correct for the watch as to how the watch would have looked at the time of sale, which in many cases looks far better that the sterile modern new parts.

My interpretation of a Franken is more like someone stripping several watches and using the parts to come up with one 'good' Watch which is then offered for sale as original. Happens with cars, happens with watches. There is an intention to deceive.

Craftsman
    Wayne
    Sorry Ken.

Now I fell like a complete Mr Wayne Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Sorry Ken.

Now I fell like a complete Mr Wayne Kerr
    No worries, it's the name I use when I try and offload fake Rolex to some soft touch in the city centre.

Master

Yip
    Good guy
    I have bought from him also and has some lovely stuff.
    Prices aren't too bad either.
    I think he has a couple of reds at the moment.

Thank you for the tip, I hadn’t heard of him before.
    He also has a nice 1970 5513 at the moment.