closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 97 year old man pulls staright out on someone on main road.

97 year old man pulls staright out on someone on main road.

I don't know if its true but apparently he said the sun was in his eyes. Imagine if it had been a footballer or soap actor, the headline would have been maniac driver nearly kills two people, but instead it's, the speed limit is too high. it doesn't matter if the speed limit was 10 or 100mph he still pulled out on another car. I don't support the argument of an driving age limit, but I do think old people should be checked to see that the are safe to drive.

Journeyman
    But this isn’t any old man is it? His wife has a few connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thought I read that ‘97 year old man pulls starlight out of someone on a main road’ then.
    I though, this should be interesting. It was only when I read the paragraph below that I realised I had mis read it and you had miss spelled it.

Craftsman
    Well I think quite a lot has been made of his age already and has certainly triggered some debate on when it is safe to continue to drive.

I find it mad that once over 70 you only have to re-apply for your licence every three years but it's up to the individual to decide if they are ok to drive. I think they should have to do re-take their driving est every 3 years over 70, increasing to yearly over 80.

Master
    Aside from a broken arm, the passengers of the other car including a baby are all OK which is the main thing I suppose. The was a guy on the radio this morning that helped pull the old boy out of his wreckage and when asked if Phil had thanked him he said "No but he wasn't rude to me" :0

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Well I think quite a lot has been made of his age already and has certainly triggered some debate on when it is safe to continue to drive.

I find it mad that once over 70 you only have to re-apply for your licence every three years but it's up to the individual to decide if they are ok to drive. I think they should have to do re-take their driving est every 3 years over 70, increasing to yearly over 80.
    I'm nowhere near that age yet but lets make it a lot safer and have everyone retested every 3 years? Plenty of <70 year olds who shouldn't be driving from what I observe......

Master
    These Range Rovers have lane assist and active collision avoidance. You really need to go some to get it wrong in one of those.

To quote Carl Sagan, we are all made of star stuff

I am still on the fence as to whether the gentleman a Greek aristocrat or a shape shifting lizard but do quite like the mental image of him pulling starlight out of someone

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It was only when I read the paragraph below that I realised I had mis read it and you had miss spelled it.
    Interesting new pageant. Is the tiara made up of a gold and diamonds alphabet, or pages from a dictionary?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

You wont think that when you're 69 and there's no shop in your village or a bus service to get to one.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    These Range Rovers have lane assist and active collision avoidance. You really need to go some to get it wrong in one of those.
    How would that have helped here?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You wont think that when you're 69 and there's no shop in your village or a bus service to get to one.
    You are quite right, which is why it needs to be an independent test rather than me deciding I am ok to continue driving out of fear of losing my independence.

What is a "staright"?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    If his car had armour plating might explain why he’s still with us.

An interesting thought as your reflexes do decline with age.

That said, what about the testosterone filled teenagers tearing about the place?

There's a reason that car insurance is cheaper for 70 year olds than 17 year olds.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Nothing is going to help if you pull out on someone

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not much at a junction. Oh, and the fact it was a Freelander; a somewhat lower spec'd vehicle.

Master
    We live in a small rural village which has the customary corner shop, sometimes when I'm in there getting the essential groceries, lol, an elderly guy pulls up, parks half on the pavement, right on the corner of a junction, gets out and can hardly put one foot in front of the other, how the hell is he going to react and move his foot on to a different pedal in an emergency.
    Then, we also have a guy that pulls up to the same shop, be it he doesn't park on the pavement, but he doesn't get out, instead one of the women from the shop actually brings his shopping to the car, basically he's so fat and immobile that he has trouble getting in and out of his car, same question, how is he going to be able to react in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    What is a "staright"?
    Pulled his starfish out?

Master
    I was hoping someone could tell me. I'm too poor to afford a car with such fantastical technology.

Pulled his starfish out?

By the time most of us get to 97, if in fact any of us do, nobody will be driving.

Hello

What wasn’t mentioned was the fact he was packing a revolver. HRH, old school.

He’s a legend..........

as a cyclist people pull out like Phil the greek did on me all the time and most of them are not 97

A lot of elderly people have 'stiff neck' issues, and can't turn their heads enough so take a gamble and pull out.

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    By the time most of us get to 97, if in fact any of us do, nobody will be driving.
    S'true, autonomous cars will be all the rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    A lot of elderly people have 'stiff neck' issues, and can't turn their heads enough so take a gamble and pull out.
    Tell me you're joking.

For most people the gambling starts when they don't pull out.

The obvious answer is everyone over the age of 60 should be forced to drive an MX-5. They wouldn't make the same mistake twice.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    The obvious answer is everyone over the age of 60 should be forced to drive an MX-5. They wouldn't make the same mistake twice.
    I'd rather stop driving than drive an MX-5, lol.

I wonder if the PPO intervened by grabbing the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You are quite right, which is why it needs to be an independent test rather than me deciding I am ok to continue driving out of fear of losing my independence.

You wont think that when you're 69, there's no shop in your village or a bus service to get to one, and you're in fear of losing your independence. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    To quote Carl Sagan, we are all made of star stuff

I am still on the fence as to whether the gentleman a Greek aristocrat or a shape shifting lizard but do quite like the mental image of him pulling starlight out of someone
    A great man Sagan, although lyrically I slightly prefer the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young version:

We are stardust, we are goldenWe are billion year old carbon
    And we got to get ourselves back to the garden

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    What wasn’t mentioned was the fact he was packing a revolver. HRH, old school.

He’s a legend..........
    Not sure if this is a strange joke, or if you are being serious!

Master
    If his car had been filled with hookers and cocaine do you think he would get charged? Is he liable for insurance. i thought the Crown was exempt but that may not apply to him. No doubt the Crown Estate can settle any damage and LR will be delivering a replacement this w/e so everything is good. Is his watch ok?

Journalists: "Brexit will monopolize the front pages for weeks!"
    Prince Philip: "Hold my beer!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Journalists: "Brexit will monopolize the front pages for weeks!"
    Prince Philip: "Hold my beer!"

Very good

I've had BBC News 24 on for the last couple of hours, it feels like 25% of the time they've been reporting on the incident and that 90% of that has been about Phil The Greek and the Royal Family with very little being said about the victims. Apparently the local Council has, today, approved a lower speed limit on that road plus the addition of speed cameras - coincidence that a statistical incident trigger point has been reached or a reaction to the fact a Royal was involved?

70 is not that old. I can't understand a desire to implement more testing every three years. Younger drivers are more prone to accident. Maybe pick an age where people are truly on the decline and bring something in, but my old man is well into his 70's and still drives for a living, as a biker and ex motorcycle racer I'd still trust his driving more than 90-95% of anyone on the road. Age is not the defining factor, ability is.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    70 is not that old. I can't understand a desire to implement more testing every three years. Younger drivers are more prone to accident. Maybe pick an age where people are truly on the decline and bring something in, but my old man is well into his 70's and still drives for a living, as a biker and ex motorcycle racer I'd still trust his driving more than 90-95% of anyone on the road. Age is not the defining factor, ability is.
    Statistically ability will decrease with old age and for many a significant decline will start at 70+.

Extra testing won't catch poor young drivers, they probably could pass a test if they had to whereas I suspect many older driver wouldn't.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Kingstepper has summed it up pretty well above. 70 is what the existing law is based on and there must be sufficient evidence for that. I feel the law needs to go further and it should be a test every few years as opposed to self declaring.

My grandparents are into their 80's and are still perfectly capable of driving. My other set of grandparents when they were in their 80's were def not fit to drive but they insisted they still were long after their doctor had declared them medically unfit to drive.

Does anyone think that the other 40 accidents at the same junction during the past 6 years were caused by people over 90? Also do we know if the other driver was not speeding at the time.

On the topic of a rising sun especially this time of the year, we have exactly the same problem at the exit of our village (on to a unrestricted road), hence extra care is required especially in estimating the speed of oncoming vehicles. Poor road design.

Age certainly may be factor, but then clearly other factors were at play.

That all said it was one of 1000's of car accidents that happen every day which did not end in a fatality thankfully.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Test the <25yr olds - they cause the most accidents

Look on the bright side....he hasn't renewed his pilots licence yet....

That direct sunlight is a byatch

Fas est ab hoste doceri

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co....over-1-5857796

… didn't take long to get a replacement!!

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co....over-1-5857796

… didn't take long to get a replacement!!

dunk
    Isn't that a no longer in production Freelander 2 being driven in to the drive way?
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Just managed to get all the keys off my old man who is 89.

<breathes a huge sigh of relief>

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    I’m up for the challenge and will confirm nearer the time.

Craftsman
    would love to see his drawing of the crash on his insurance clam!!!!