closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 97 year old man pulls staright out on someone on main road.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Test the <25yr olds - they cause the most accidents
    They’ve passed relatively recently and would pass again. Doesn’t stop them driving like prats.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I don't know if its true but apparently he said the sun was in his eyes. Imagine if it had been a footballer or soap actor, the headline would have been maniac driver nearly kills two people, but instead it's, the speed limit is too high. it doesn't matter if the speed limit was 10 or 100mph he still pulled out on another car. I don't support the argument of an driving age limit, but I do think old people should be checked to see that the are safe to drive.
    Assuming you didn't witness the accident I think you need to be careful speculating about what happened.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

I don’t live too far from that road and know it pretty well. Since moving to Norfolk I’ve noticed a few things about the roads in general which have surprised me since moving up from London. Speed cameras are virtually unheard of (and the ones that exist are very clearly marked). Hardly any police cars, never seen a speed trap - but most people drive within the limits. I find it very pleasant driving actually, no more crawling along at 5 mph! - However, on that particular road visibility round some bends is poor, you get frequent fog patches out of nowhere - and if you have an accident, it might be because a pheasant or muntjack jumped right in front of you, happens all the time at this time of year. Tractors also spread mud around making the road a bit greasy, and you quite often see an upturned car through a hedge as there are no road lights at all in most places. I’ve heard a fair few stories from gamekeepers and locals about Philip, apparently always zipping about in an old Land Rover and quite a funny character. This morning was very low sun and frosty, accidents can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Dread to think how the Monarchy would have coped had the baby died.

Master
    I think it’s a bit of a testament to modern cars that everyone walked away from it.

At the age of 97 I am sure Prince Phillip values his independence, but he’s privileged enough to be able to others drive him now.

Talking

Putin!!

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    These Range Rovers have lane assist and active collision avoidance. You really need to go some to get it wrong in one of those.
    You obviously have little knowledge of these features in Range Rovers.

Lane assist alerts the driver when crossing the white lines separating lanes without indicating, as it assumes the driver didn't want to cross the line and is either asleep or not paying attention. It normally 'shakes' the steering wheel to alert the driver.

Active collision avoidance, often assisted by Emergency Brake Assist, detects an obstacle in the path of the vehicle which the vehicle is approaching too fast.

How do you think either of those features would have prevented the driver pulling out in front of an oncoming car?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Was it even a Range? It looked like a Freelander 2.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Was it even a Range? It looked like a Freelander 2.
    It was a Freelander.

We love facts 'ere.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Not much at a junction. Oh, and the fact it was a Freelander; a somewhat lower spec'd vehicle.

Master
    I wonder where he was actually going? It's not like he needs to pop down to Lidl's for milk and groceries.. In the Mail Online today they have a picture of the Queen driving yesterday in her Range Rover sans seatbelt - where is she off to?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I wonder where he was actually going? It's not like he needs to pop down to Lidl's for milk and groceries.. In the Mail Online today they have a picture of the Queen driving yesterday in her Range Rover sans seatbelt - where is she off to?
    He was probably nipping into the chippie in Dersingham.

He's been photographed today driving on a public road without a seat belt. This is just pure arrogance (or dementia) but it's time for a v senior police officer to have a serious word and for him to be held accountable to the law that applies to everyone else. The Queen was also photographed today driving her Range Rover whilst wearing a seat belt, unlike a couple of days ago.

The law only applies on public roads. For him, they are private roads

Dogging?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    He's been photographed today driving on a public road without a seat belt. This is just pure arrogance (or dementia) but it's time for a v senior police officer to have a serious word and for him to be held accountable to the law that applies to everyone else. The Queen was also photographed today driving her Range Rover whilst wearing a seat belt, unlike a couple of days ago.
    I agree with all of that ^ & tbh she shouldn’t be driving either ...

Craftsman
    Apparently the Chookey Embra is now going to be driving an electric car, it's his opportunity to turn over a new Leaf.

jim

Anybody driving at 97 is a risk - period.

Regardless of status, they need a proper assessment or removal of their licence.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

He's been photographed today driving on a public road without a seat belt. This is just pure arrogance (or dementia) but it's time for a v senior police officer to have a serious word and for him to be held accountable to the law that applies to everyone else.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46935721

Norfolk Police say they have spoken to the Duke of Edinburgh after he was pictured driving without a seatbelt, 48 hours after being involved in a crash near Sandringham in Norfolk.

A spokeswoman said "suitable words of advice have been given to the driver".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46935721

Norfolk Police say they have spoken to the Duke of Edinburgh after he was pictured driving without a seatbelt, 48 hours after being involved in a crash near Sandringham in Norfolk.

A spokeswoman said "suitable words of advice have been given to the driver".

Bet those suitable words of advice didn't include a fine!

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    I doubt they'd fine on the basis of a photograph.

R

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Or three points

Not impressed of late.

Master
    You can just envisage it sitting around the dinner table, the queen giving him rice for bending the motor :

“Phileep ! What have I told you about driving off the estate like a complete fool – stop running over the proles, they don’t like us for it any more.”

Edward, Harry and William all sniggering and chanting under their breath “Philip bashed a prowul” “Philip bashed a prowul” “Philip bashed a prowul”

Charles saying “mummy don’t you think it’s about time daddy gave up driving and errrrrrr you gave up the throne ?”

Where is spitting image when you need them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    You can just envisage it sitting around the dinner table, the queen giving him rice for bending the motor :

“Phileep ! What have I told you about driving off the estate like a complete fool – stop running over the proles, they don’t like us for it any more.”

Edward, Harry and William all sniggering and chanting under their breath “Philip bashed a prowul” “Philip bashed a prowul” “Philip bashed a prowul”

Charles saying “mummy don’t you think it’s about time daddy gave up driving and errrrrrr you gave up the throne ?”

Where is spitting image when you need them ?
    lol, we need Spitting Image back.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    lol, we need Spitting Image back.
    No we don’t. The puppets are now real life characters, Reagan’s puppet is Trump, Maggie’s is Maybot and Neil Kinnock’s is JC.

Embarrassing - a single word which for me describes the current state of play anywhere I cast my eye. Deeply. Well, make it two.
    Last edited by VDG; 20th January 2019 at 13:29.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Thanks Brian...
    I'm going to need a new arse
    I've laughed the original off!
    Last edited by Heuerfan; 20th January 2019 at 19:31.

Or three points
    You don't get penalty points for not wearing a seat-belt.

R

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I doubt they'd fine on the basis of a photograph.

R
    ....and in what way is a photo by a traffic light camera different?
    or a speed trap?!

R
    Interesting - I always thought that you did

Google tells me that its a £100 fine which can increase to £500 if it goes to court

R
    I thought you did, oops sorry

I thought you did, oops sorry
    Penalty points if child isn't wearing seat-belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    ....and in what way is a photo by a traffic light camera different?
    or a speed trap?!
    Because they are different offences.

Do you get fined for not wearing a seat belt in Spain if recorded on a traffic light camera/speed camera in Spain?

R

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Interesting - I always thought that you did

Google tells me that its a £100 fine which can increase to £500 if it goes to court
    The key word is 'may' - different forces will have differing policies for a first offence etc.

(Not defending him BTW).

C - charity.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

I cant believe the tabloids are saying he should have sent flowers to the occupants of the other car, is this something that normally happens after an accident?

Only if you've admitted guilt I would imagine.

Master
    This is only news because it’s phil the Greek. It happens every day in my live, doesn’t matter whether I’m on a bike or in a white Artic as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow someone will pull out on you without looking. It’s never news worthy even when there’s accidents and deaths so I’m somewhat amused at all the coverage this is getting.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I cant believe the tabloids are saying he should have sent flowers to the occupants of the other car, is this something that normally happens after an accident?
    In snowflake world it does, but in our world we just let the insurance companies sort it out. But since the accident is under investigation I presume that any apology/gift could be construed as an admission of guilt.

It's the woman who was the passenger in the other car that is saying this - amongst other drivel that the media are now sensationalising.

Unbelievable.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Because they are different offences.

Do you get fined for not wearing a seat belt in Spain if recorded on a traffic light camera/speed camera in Spain?

R
    Yes you do; furthermore over here there are wide angle cameras ESPECIALLY for such things as using the phone, not wearing seatbelt, not having hands on the steering wheel, drinking from a cup/bottle, you name it and yes you get fined. Smoking though, digging up a cigarette, lighting a fag etc. ís permitted. I.e. follow the money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    In snowflake world it does, but in our world we just let the insurance companies sort it out. But since the accident is under investigation I presume that any apology/gift could be construed as an admission of guilt.
    He is guilty though if he pulled out into her path - open and shut case.. Also he has no need to worry about insurance costs rising as he should stop driving for other peoples sake anyway. The 'Palace' or his flunkeys should do the honourable thing and buy the other driver a new Kia and give the injured woman plenty of wedge for her broken wrist

He is guilty though if he pulled out into her path - open and shut case.. Also he has no need to worry about insurance costs rising as he should stop driving for other peoples sake anyway. The 'Palace' or his flunkeys should do the honourable thing and buy the other driver a new Kia and give the injured woman plenty of wedge for her broken wrist

So - the speed of the driver on the main road, has been verified?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If she has been proved to be speeding it would have been all over the media. I heard on the radio that they are now putting up cash machines on that stretch of road.

Master
    There is a bit more going on with this story with the woman having some kind of argument with her passenger about the incident. The driver also seems to milking the media about flowers/apologies etc. Everyone wants their 5 mins even on Ebay apparently.

If she has been proved to be speeding it would have been all over the media. I heard on the radio that they are now putting up cash machines on that stretch of road.
    So - not proven either way. A bit like who was to blame in what proportion?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    She was driving a Kia with a 9 month old baby onboard - she is hardly likely to be ragging it is she?

The 97 year old other driver misjudged it completely and pulled out when he shouldn't have - you don't need to be a traffic collision expert to work out what happened..

As has been said already, its arrogance plus possibly dementia that keeps him insisting on driving.. His children should have the gumption to get him to stop - and his missus as well..