closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Finding watch friends

Craftsman

Finding watch friends

I am interested to hear other people’s experience with finding watch friends. In this case I mean in person not online. My experience thus far has resulted in conversations where it seems to start out that someone is interested in watches but it very soon becomes clear that they either are just interested in style/ fashion or are in love with one particular brand or even a single watch rather than interested in watches in general. I have certainly had a few people glaze over after about 20 seconds having totally misjudged this.

The online watch community is great but it would also be great to talk watches over a pint with some people too?

Occasional get togethers are arranged regionally where many like minded kindred spirits attend. You would probably enjoy them I think. Just keep an eye open for gtg threads.

Hi Zook

If you are in easy reach of Manchester there are regular GTGs held in the centre, so that peeps can travel without having to drive (it has been known for one or two of the GTGers to have a half of shandy to keep a check on their emotions). Usually two per year, spring & autumnish.
    The 2018 autumn one fell by the wayside, so we will be like coiled mainsprings waiting for one in the spring this year.

Journeyman
    I’m based in the north west and relatively new to all of this. How do you find out about the get togethers?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Keep an eye on the George & Dragon for relevant titles, such as "MCGTG anyone?"

Journeyman
    Perfect, thanks

Why not come up with a (general) location and rough date and see if anyone's interested? 'Anyone up for a GTG in Leeds in March' for example.
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman
    I know of no other people in my surroundings who like watches, unfortunately.

Craftsman
    I tend to agree with the OP.I get the impression many people consider watches to be a bit nerdy for some people .Its just a tool to tell the time and if Your interests go beyond this it makes You a geek lol

Put a note in window of local AD.

Seriously though just ask on here.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Mclure View Post
    I’m based in the north west and relatively new to all of this. How do you find out about the get togethers?

Sent you a PM JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I am interested to hear other people’s experience with finding watch friends. In this case I mean in person not online. My experience thus far has resulted in conversations where it seems to start out that someone is interested in watches but it very soon becomes clear that they either are just interested in style/ fashion or are in love with one particular brand or even a single watch rather than interested in watches in general. I have certainly had a few people glaze over after about 20 seconds having totally misjudged this.

The online watch community is great but it would also be great to talk watches over a pint with some people too?
    Sent you a PM Zook

Journeyman
    If you are near London the time4apint get togethers are held every month - it’s a great opportunity to bring some watches and have a drink and chat with 30 or so other watch nerds.

Sorry, I couldn't resist :D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Why not come up with a (general) location and rough date and see if anyone's interested? 'Anyone up for a GTG in Leeds in March' for example.
    I work in Leeds so definitely up for trying to arrange a GTG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oconnorp View Post
    If you are near London the time4apint get togethers are held every month - it’s a great opportunity to bring some watches and have a drink and chat with 30 or so other watch nerds.
    Thanks ononnorp. Useful info - was news to me. Have subscribed. Hope the venues are located in city or N/NW London.

I’m in York and always enjoy watch chats. Actually I was working in a school recently when someone spotted what I was wearing and we got talking. Turns out this guy is saving for a Tudor but has some really nice vintage pieces. Every time I go back I try and find him. I’ve never had that before, so it was really nice and completely natural.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    Thanks ononnorp. Useful info - was news to me. Have subscribed. Hope the venues are located in city or N/NW London.
    It’s definitely worth following what Chris is doing and coming along - I need to go to more this year. Meet ups are usually in the square mile.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oconnorp View Post
    It’s definitely worth following what Chris is doing and coming along - I need to go to more this year. Meet ups are usually in the square mile.

I listen to his podcast and am sad that it isn’t easier for me to make it to one of his events

Journeyman
    I listen to his podcast and am sad that it isn’t easier for me to make it to one of his events

It’s refreshing to hear stories from collectors rather than hyping new releases isn’t it? He’s released the years dates so get an excuse to get yourself in London for one of them!

Here us free startup idea - watchnerinder app. You swipe left - no likie, you swipe right - you befriend a watch nerd, you know the drill..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I work in Leeds so definitely up for trying to arrange a GTG.

I live in York so a Leeds GTG works for me

I think a York GTG would be even better ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I think a York GTG would be even better ;)
    York would be perfect mate if you fancy a pint. I live close to the city Centre in Skeldergate.

Grand Master
    We had a few Leeds GTGs several years ago at the Queens Hotel. The problem with these events is poor attendance, people say they’ll come then drop out at the last minute. The Manchester GTGs have been more sucessful in this respect.

I think security is more of a concern thesedays too, finding a suitable venue then being very discreet about communication is key. Owing to the number of robberies of watches from jewellers I think there’s a heightened awareness amongst the light fingered fraternity that watches are worth stealing.

I’d be happy to attend a GTG in Leeds or York, I enjoy these events. Proximity to a railway station is a big plus!