closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vacheron Constantin Overseas 2nd Generation (47040) review

Master

Vacheron Constantin Overseas 2nd Generation (47040) review

Vacheron Constantion Overseas 2nd Generation

I finally managed to obtain this Vacheron Constantin Overseas just before Christmas having had the silver / white dial version on my target list for around 5 years. I was keen to get the second generation which increased the diameter to 42mm from the first generation and included the updated bracelet. I was also disappointed with the 3rd generation when I went in to view it as it seems to have lost some of the definition and boldness of the Maltese Cross motifs - not to mention the updated RRP. This is priced in the same league as PP / AP sports watches, but without the retained resale value. This made picking up a second hand second second generation watch of the same quality as PP / AP a very good proposition.

Last year, I sold my PP Aquanaut having owned it for about a year and a half, and I see quite a few parallels with the VC, although given the integrated bracelet it is probably closer to the Nautilus

Firstly the slimness of the case at 9.7mm which seems unusual in this day and age - the Omega 8500 calibre watches as a case in point. This is also antimagnetic, anti shock and has 150m water resistance which makes the thickness even more impressive. It also means it really hugs the wrist and sits nicely under the cuff which is good considering the 42mm diameter and 51mm lug to integrated lug length.

The watch is powered by the Vacheron Constantin Calibre 1126 which is based on the (and I believe built by) Jaeger-LeCoultre calibre 889. This has a hacking movement with quick set date, and another parallel with the PP with the sound of the rotor spinning quickly making a high pitched winding sound.

The overall package is impressive and very nicely packaged.....

Opening the Box

Window showing the contents

Something hiding inside

It’s a Travel Case

And included within that is space for extra straps, a memory stick that has the user manual, hang tags, cloth and the VC passport which has space for 11 services - built for the long term!

The full set

The Maltese Cross Design
    The thing I really love about this watch is the design of the repeating Maltese Cross throughout the watch. This is a key feature on the bezel and the Maltese Cross is repeated on each link of the very classily finished bracelet which combines polished and brushed finishes on each surface. It extends to the buttons of the twin release deployant clasp and another cross on the bracelet itself where the ends meet when the clasp is closed, as well as on the signed crown.

The bracelet, which in my opinion really makes the watch unique

The Case and Dial
    The dial is a cross hatched / guilloche design in silvery white with applied indices with superluminova and white gold Arabic numerals for 3, 6, 9, 12. The quality of finish and texture of this dial and floating logo is right up there in the same class as AP / PP and really lifts the watch.

The case and dial

I wish I had some skills with macro lens, but hopefully gives you an idea....
    Last edited by mtagrant; 20th February 2020 at 22:33.

Love it! I almost bought a black dial version at a great price, and wish I had.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congrats and enjoy! Agree, using elements of the brand icon works well - much better use than some fashion houses where the overuse can be in my eyes 'vulgari' at times

The whole watch looks like a piece of art, especially the bracelet.
    I was surprised that the case was only just over 9mm deep.
    Lovely idea of the reveal case and USB stick.
    Congratulations to you on getting a stunning looking watch.

Master
    That my friend is bloody gorgeous!!

I have looked at these on and off for a couple of years and will at some stage try one, and this is the version I would also be tempted by. I love the white (silver?) dial, looks amazing but then I do like a white dial!

I have only ever got to handle one VC and it was an Overseas chrono, and when I did I was lucky enough to have an AP RO and a Nautilus on the table at the same time, the VC is on the level of the other two without a question IMHO. It is after all one of the trilogy!

Enjoy, its a fantastic watch.
    Last edited by Nev; 18th January 2019 at 00:05.

Journeyman
    Beautiful!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Great review Mtagrant, I really should get around to reviewing my Gen 2 Overseas.

Hold onto the full collection as I know that they are withdrawing the passport this year from a conversation I had last year with the boutique. A lot of VC collections seem to miss this document.

Hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by optix; 18th January 2019 at 08:47.

Craftsman
    I nearly bought the same model (second hand) a few years ago because it is so stunning in the flesh. I compared it to a brand new AP Royal Oak at the time and, for me, the design of the VC is so much more interesting, refined and beautiful. Congratulations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    The passport seems like such an obvious addition. There’s so much discussion about service histories with watches (or lack thereof) - don’t understand why they’re not standard with all watches.

I clicked on this thread thinking it’d be just another nice watch but that first photo absolutely blew me away.

It’s a stunningly beautiful watch from a fabulous manufacturer and one which, apart from the size, I’d be more than happy to own. It’s just shame for me that it’s not 39-40mm.

Blog Entries
    First - thank you for taking time to write up those review! It is certainly a very fine timepiece and the bracelet design is wonderful. This VC model proves they are worthy of the ‘trinity’ status.

A point I find intereseting is the movement is hackable. Something not possible on either Patek I own. I know Patek have their reasons. I wonder why VC included it whereas others did not. This is a genuine question to those who know more about watch movements than I (probably most of you!).

Looks like an impressive box of tricks it came with too!

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 18th January 2019 at 09:54. Reason: A question

Journeyman
    Amazing watch, enjoy ! Thanks a lot for a very nice write-up

Master
    Beautiful watch, but the date on the diagonal is a killer for me.

Craftsman
    That is a lovely watch. The integrated bracelet is beautiful. As a pre-owned purchase these look very attractive!

Craftsman
    A beautiful watch ,so elegant. The service book is a great idea .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Great review, thanks for the write up! I’ve tried the current version on a couple of times. Love love love the look and quality, but it’s just sadly too large.

If they ever come out with a 38-40mm range then that would be dangerous.

That is a stunning watch. Very understated and under the radar.

I have very nearly gone for the blue non textured dial version of the same watch, the date being between 4 & 5 didn't sit well with me and then when I noticed it wasn't even centralised between the markers it was a definite no from me.

Master
    Thanks for the kind words Gents.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I clicked on this thread thinking it’d be just another nice watch but that first photo absolutely blew me away.

It’s a stunningly beautiful watch from a fabulous manufacturer and one which, apart from the size, I’d be more than happy to own. It’s just shame for me that it’s not 39-40mm.
    Thank you. Regarding the size, as mentioned it does wear very well for a 42mm, but believe the 3 hander on the first gen was 37mm, and the Chrono was 40mm so there are smaller options.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    First - thank you for taking time to write up those review! It is certainly a very fine timepiece and the bracelet design is wonderful. This VC model proves they are worthy of the ‘trinity’ status.

A point I find intereseting is the movement is hackable. Something not possible on either Patek I own. I know Patek have their reasons. I wonder why VC included it whereas others did not. This is a genuine question to those who know more about watch movements than I (probably most of you!).

Looks like an impressive box of tricks it came with too!

Martyn
    This is the first time I have been inspired to write a review, and I think that is in part down to how long I yearned for one, and how impressed I was when I finally got my hands on it, but also after seeing your Zenith review Martyn, which I thought was excellent

This movement is based on the JLC which I guess is why they chose to leave as is, but I believe the 3rd generation movement is non hacking and fully in house. I quite liked the non hacking movement in the Aquanaut and the way you can control the second hand by slightly turn the crown backward in order to align the seconds to the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    That is a stunning watch. Very understated and under the radar.

I have very nearly gone for the blue non textured dial version of the same watch, the date being between 4 & 5 didn't sit well with me and then when I noticed it wasn't even centralised between the markers it was a definite no from me.
    I do like a 4:30 date, but it does seem odd that this one is not quite centralised - more like about 4:37 :)
    This I think is the only thing that doesn’t seem quite right to me.

Microadjustment on the clasp would have been nice, and they do come out for the factory with a half link, but there wasn’t one on mine when I bought it so had to source direct from VC. They are very pleasant to deal with and got one in quickly and sent to my home for a fairly reasonable price too. I did need this to get the fit just right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s just shame for me that it’s not 39-40mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyT View Post
    If they ever come out with a 38-40mm range then that would be dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Regarding the size, as mentioned it does wear very well for a 42mm, but believe the 3 hander on the first gen was 37mm, and the Chrono was 40mm so there are smaller options.
    Lovely pics of a classic, thanks. It’s a hell of a watch if you have the wrists for it. There’s a yawning gap in the current collection between the dainty unisex ‘small model’ and the full size models, a midsize would be amazing. Come on VC! 38-39mm and thin. Until then the gen one wears well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Lovely pics of a classic, thanks. It’s a hell of a watch if you have the wrists for it. There’s a yawning gap in the current collection between the dainty unisex ‘small model’ and the full size models, a midsize would be amazing. Come on VC! 38-39mm and thin. Until then the gen one wears well.
    The third generation has been reduced to 41mm - not much, but seemed to work for the DJ2 to DJ41.

Master

The third generation has been reduced to 41mm - not much, but seemed to work for the DJ2 to DJ41.
    I did try it, but even the sales assistant had to admit it was too big, while the small model looks a little undersized. Only a proper midsize will do it! Until then it’s Gen 1 or nothing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What’s the RRP on these?

Very impressive. I am eyeing up a gen 1 at the moment. The 42040 in blue. It’s not a patch on that one though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    What’s the RRP on these?

Very impressive. I am eyeing up a gen 1 at the moment. The 42040 in blue. It’s not a patch on that one though.
    3rd generation equivalent looks to be £17.5k
    http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/e...110a-b126.html

Fantastic write up, photos and watch. Really impressed by the bracelet, superbly engineered. The dial detail is sublime although I’m not a fan of the bezel but can appreciate how it’s design fits in with the whole. That packaging is so much fun, little display window is like peers through an ADs window Hahahaha.

The passport is a clever idea. I’m surprised others don’t do this as ppl would probably service more to recommended schedules if they thought not doing so would have a negative effect on potential future resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    love that!

did you buy NOS or was that pre owned?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    love that!

did you buy NOS or was that pre owned?
    It is preowned, but think it hasn’t been worn much as in fantastic condition

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Fantastic write up, photos and watch. Really impressed by the bracelet, superbly engineered. The dial detail is sublime although I’m not a fan of the bezel but can appreciate how it’s design fits in with the whole. That packaging is so much fun, little display window is like peers through an ADs window Hahahaha.

The passport is a clever idea. I’m surprised others don’t do this as ppl would probably service more to recommended schedules if they thought not doing so would have a negative effect on potential future resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes the overall package is great and passport is a really nice way or preserving the history

Master
    looks awesome,

did you go through chrono24?

So much more more character than the new 3rd generation. The dial looks really beautiful too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    looks awesome,

did you go through chrono24?
    I had alerts on Chrono24 and there have always been a few in Italy or the Mediterranean, so those weren’t an option. Was looking out for one in Northern Europe, but ended up that one popped up in Watchfinder, so turned our easy in the end.

Glorious, wonderful piece. Excellent write up and pics. Thank you.

Even from a self confessed Rolex Fan Boy that’s a lovely watch mate.

Good on you.

Master
    Very nice. I've been tempted by one of these a few times

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Good write up and pics of an excellent watch.

Excellent write-up, and the photos capture the quality - I think I’d prefer an Overseas (though maybe the latest generation) to anything PP or AP currently put out.

Thanks for the write-up - it's a lovely watch.

Can I ask - is the date window equidistant from the 4 and 5 indices? It looks closer to the 5 than the 4 - is this an artifact from the camera angle? Thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Thanks for the write-up - it's a lovely watch.

Can I ask - is the date window equidistant from the 4 and 5 indices? It looks closer to the 5 than the 4 - is this an artifact from the camera angle? Thanks!
    Your eyes do not deceive you... it is actually closer to the 5 than the 4. No idea why they didn’t make it equidistant - seems a strange design decision

Your eyes do not deceive you... it is actually closer to the 5 than the 4. No idea why they didn’t make it equidistant - seems a strange design decision
    What movement is in it? A date wheel that is perfect at 4.30 won't be aligned at 3 o'clock, and so a standard movement needs adjusting.

Excellent Sunday morning read, thank you for taking time to put together the write up and sharing. With tiny niggle - position of the date window, I much prefer this - 12, 3, 6 and 9 version to the latest incarnation, oozes quality (had a chance to play with one in an AD) and an eye candy with amount of detail and finish. Congrats!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Fantastic write up and pictures! Thanks!!

I would trade my one watch in on that, but it is just out of my league.

Very nice Marcel
    Good write up
    VC win hands down for me against “the other 2” brands

Master
    Good write up.

The chronograph model is so much nicer than a Daytona as well and can be bought for less secondhand. I guess it's the fact that most of the population haven't heard of VC whilst the Rolex Daytona has probably become THE most aspirational watch which in turn drives silly pricing.

Master
    Richemont servicing.

Great review Marcel, I’ve tried on this very watch and it is indeed a beauty.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Richemont servicing.
    Have you had a Vacheron serviced recently? Or been into a boutique to pick up a part?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Have you had a Vacheron serviced recently? Or been into a boutique to pick up a part?
    I had an Overseas serviced recently and it cost 50% more than last time for no obvious reason, which was annoying. Inflation does not account for this increase. They were considerably less polite in the boutique than I remembered too. I love the watch but will consider other servicing options in future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post

I’ve experienced Richemont servicing; VC is owned by Richemont. It’s the only member of the ‘Trinity’ which isn’t independent. To me, that matters. In the same way, I like the fact that Rolex is independent.Autonomy gives these brands freedom.
    Last edited by paskinner; 21st January 2019 at 11:15.