closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some random GS quartz info...

Some random GS quartz info...

While trying to find some information on a particular model, this video appeared in my search. It looks somewhat unpromising, but Joe Kirk mentions several details I was unaware of and found useful,
    eg calibration adjustment available on the 9f is +/- 6 seconds per year; the quartz motif on the anniversary dials is supposed to read “GS9F”, etc...

https://youtu.be/fsrLrsoRlbQ

Owl1
    Very interesting ,cheers for posting

He talks about the anti-backlash hairspring used to control the movement of the second hand however he fails to mention the twin pulse element, both the hairspring and the two movements for every second are responsible for the hand hitting the markers.

My understanding is that the twin pulse motor is primarily utilised to deliver the effective torque required to drive the unusually large (in quartz terms) handsets that the 9s can take.

Indeed, I knew it existed for a reason...

It does make you wonder exactly how little power a "regular" motor has that it needs a beefed up version to move a slightly heavier hand - it's not as if these things can even be weighed in whole grams.
    Last edited by CardShark; 17th January 2019 at 23:34.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Indeed, I knew it existed for a reason...

It does make you wonder exactly how little power a "regular" motor has that it needs a beefed up version to move a slightly longer/heavier hand - it's not as if these things can even be weighed in whole grams.
    Yes, the forces at that level are interesting. By solving for effective torque I think the GS designers had in mind battery life as much as anything....