closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How do you decide what to buy next?

Craftsman

How do you decide what to buy next?

I am relatively new to the watch collecting world. I started out with a flurry of purchases many of which I love, others I have let go already. I am now trying to take a more considered approach to my purchases, as well as considering spending a little more on each pirchsse. The problem is there are just so many watches that I like and can't work out how to prioritise what gets added to the collection next.

Some might be a limited edition that it is a now or never purchase. Some are readily available but at a great price right now. Some might be vintage and hard to find and a good example pops up. Some might simply be very different to what I already own.

Surely I am not alone with this. What do you do? How do you decide what comes next? I am also keen to know what motivates you to let go of something you own.

Craftsman
    I never make an impulse purchase. I'm almost guaranteed to be either disappointed, flip within a short period of time losing money, or both.

If I purchased based on every whim I'd have 500+ whatches at this point.
    So if something I have never seen before is up for an amazing limited time price, I won't be jumping on it.

The flip side to this is the list of watches I always come back to and know id like to own but just have not found at a price I'm wiling to pay. If one of these comes up at a good price for a limited time I may bite. But it's guaranteed I have already researched the baejesus out of that watch in the past few years, so it's not really impulse, it's always been on the cards if it turned up at a good price.

Buy what you like

OP - why not let us see a bit of your collection (and the reasons behind the watches) by way of context and a bit of introduction?

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I am relatively new to the watch collecting world.
    Surely I am not alone with this. What do you do? How do you decide what comes next? I am also keen to know what motivates you to let go of something you own.
    You need to figure out what you really can't live without. This takes time, a little knowledge and a lot of patience. I haven't bought anything for 18 months since I'm very picky. So, don't buy something because the money is burning a hole or because a bunch of internet geeks say you should. Also, I've never sold a watch. All the ones I have are keepers.

Journeyman
    I'm new to all this too, what about deciding which style you need to balance out what you've already got. I'm probably looking for a diver next as I've got a couple of dressier watches, and a few for casual wear, I just feel a good diver is missing. I don't know if this is right or wrong but it's how I'm going about it. The main problem you have now is being on here, as there's so many nice watches you'll keep having your head turned.

Craftsman
    I started out like this, where I would look at my collection and think something like the below examples, which were all wrong for me in the end:

- Id like to get all three Omega Masters watches, a railmaster, speedmaster and seamaster. IE some kind of mini collection.

- I have a collection that has a diver, chrono, etc so now I need (insert watch type here).

- I'd like a Rolex (or brand x y z).

- I'd like lots of cheaper watches for variety.

- I'd like to buy something high horology.

- I'd like to buy something because of some kind of life goal was achieved.

I found there were hundreds of reasons to justify x, y and z but fast forward a few years and I burnt quite a lot of cash and didn't end up happy. The solution appears to be to consider my lifestyle, clothing choices, and realising I wear the same two or maybe three watches most days. The other watches collect dust.

So my rules for me to follow are:

- Always try on a watch before buying. Always.

- Buy what you want, not what other people on the Internet tell you not to.

- Buy the best quality you can afford and save up rather than compromising.

- Keep in mind resale value if you get bored, and buying preowned is preferable.

- Always envisage when you will be wearing it, and it shouldn't just be kept in a box.

- Realise that in the real world, outside of our hobby, peopl don't care what you're wearing and won't notice.

I'll still get it wrong in the future I'm certain, but I'm trying to keep it to two quality pieces now and anything else that might sit in a box not being worn should be cheap.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mjgerrard; 17th January 2019 at 19:53.

Master
    If I'm looking at potentially buying a new watch, I wait a couple weeks and see if I still desire it.

I find a lot of watches don't make the cut that way, and a lot of times, it's the chase that's the fun part.

Shotgun approach for me, but I never buy a watch in a hurry.

Two more on the radar, but plenty of time.

a above , bit of a late comer to watches, have previously bought what I like on pictures on other peoples wrists, which worked out well in some cases not in others , I now find myself trying before I buy. I will not be buying another watch for a while as my last purchase took all my spare funds late last year, my next selection of about 4 is already on my radar which I shall narrow down over the coming months ( however I am a sucker for a deal! ) and will go to the shops and try them on to narrow the field .

I research certain watches for weeks, months and sometimes years.

All my preferences are held in the back of mind and if the perfect example materialises at the right price, I can make an instant decision whether to buy it or not.

I have learnt over time that patience is a virtue.

I have purchased 3 watches in the last two months that I have wanted for a long time. If they weren't priced where I wanted them to be, I would of happily passed and waited for the next opportunity to come along.

Blog Entries
    If it’s any use to you Zook, in my experience there are many ways to your next watch. I have made at least two impulse purchases through Gatwick while waiting for a plane. I have made some after lusting after a particular model flaunted on the forum. I have been swayed into buying by the forum favourites. I have bought to remember the death of most dearest relatives. I have bought because of technical marvels.

You must find your own path.

Motive to let go: simple - if I don’t wear it (with two sentimental except) it is in danger.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th January 2019 at 21:46.

Journeyman
    I don't consider myself a collector, more of an owner / wearer that happens to have amassed a small gathering of mid range wrist wear (15 at last count).

The process involves....

Get an itch.
    Seek & searh OR see something I need.
    Make purchase.
    Justify later.

Criteria for new watch would be...

Different from anything I own
    Unique in styling
    Hints of vintage
    Not really a high street watch

Can honestly say that I don't regret a single purchase so far and most have been made on gut instinct and without even trying it on.

Next watch is the Certina DS-PH200 that has been on order since boxing day (and is expected to arrive no time soon :( ) . I hope my luck / form of "no regrets" continues.
    Last edited by Jonesinamillion; 17th January 2019 at 21:57.

Journeyman
    This is a really interesting thread; a subject that really doesn't get much attention.

My approach so far has been: see something; if I like it, and can afford it, buy it. That has worked fine so far, but as all my purchases have sight unseen, I don't believe I can or should continue like this.

Master
    I just usually see what’s lying about when I’m casing the joint 😉

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesinamillion View Post
    I
    Next watch is the Certina DS-PH200 that has been on order since boxing day (and is expected to arrive no time soon :( ) . I hope my luck / form of "no regrets" continues.
    I should have added, I haven't tried the Certina; with slim wrists and a near 43mm case, it's a gamble!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesinamillion View Post
    I should have added, I haven't tried the Certina; with slim wrists and a near 43mm case, it's a gamble!

- - - Updated - - -

Is that the one in the plastic presentation box with the additional strap ? If so I'm sure you'll be able to move it on easily, if it doesn't suit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itizme View Post
    Is that the one in the plastic presentation box with the additional strap ? If so I'm sure you'll be able to move it on easily, if it doesn't suit.
    Yep, that's the one.

Link here (mine is in order elsewhere).

Would love the peli-case but lots of retailers only show this standard box yet all reviews show the former... Time will tell, it's not a deal breaker

Craftsman

Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    You need to figure out what you really can't live without. This takes time, a little knowledge and a lot of patience. I haven't bought anything for 18 months since I'm very picky. So, don't buy something because the money is burning a hole or because a bunch of internet geeks say you should. Also, I've never sold a watch. All the ones I have are keepers.

I have learnt over the years to avoid the hype surrounding new releases and what self styled watch guru blog sites etc.say should be in every ones watch collection, even the words "Watch Collection" annoy me, as it has now become the standard that we must all have a number of watches. Spent too much money on hyped watches in my early days just to be disapointed and like wise with the so called icons that everyman should have, Speedy, Monaco and so many Rolex sports, which just did nothing for me apart from make some profit.

Myself like many on the forum have a grail watch but that changes as you get older, taste change from what was the dream watch in your 20's to 30's etc etc. and if you are fortunate your financial freedom expands at the same rate as your wasteline, allowing your horizons too widen within the marketplace. I have certainly found my watch desires start to creep into Audemars and Patek territory as the quality finish, styling are now so apparent when compared to the over priced pretenders.

Everyone will have a comfort zone which they can justify ££XYZ spend on a timepiece and all i would say is take your time, try on your wrist, try again and quality over quantity.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Myself like many on the forum have a grail watch but that changes as you get older, taste change from what was the dream watch in your 20's to 30's etc etc. and if you are fortunate your financial freedom expands at the same rate as your wasteline, allowing your horizons too widen within the marketplace. I have certainly found my watch desires start to creep into Audemars and Patek territory as the quality finish, styling are now so apparent when compared to the over priced pretenders.

Everyone will have a comfort zone which they can justify ££XYZ spend on a timepiece and all i would say is take your time, try on your wrist, try again and quality over quantity.
    I totally get what you mean with tastes chafing. Even in the 12 months I have been collecting there are some things I looked at and thought were incredible and others that I wasn’t too keen where my view has changed particularly after trying things on.

I think a big part of this is also that I have a relatively small wrist at 6.5” so find a lot of watches that look great on paper look comical on my wrist. I have tended to gravitate towards vintage as a result.

I was going to post a few pictures of my collection but can’t seem to attach images. If it me being a bit dim or am I not allowed to post pics due to my low post count?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post

I was going to post a few pictures of my collection but can’t seem to attach images. If it me being a bit dim or am I not allowed to post pics due to my low post count?
    You have to host pictures, I think, if you use the web. The best way to attach pictures is to use the tapatalk or TZUK apps on your phone.

M.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    My process goes something like this...

1) See watch I like.
    2) Do I have enough in the watch fund to purchase? yes? goto 6. No? continue
    3) Can I justify borrowing the money or get money from some other source? yes? goto 6 No? Continue
    4) Research desired watch furiously on the internet to justify desire
    5) Goto 1.
    6) Buy watch.
    7) Research bought watch furiously on the internet to justify purchase.
    8) Goto 1

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If it’s any use to you Zook, in my experience there are many ways to your next watch. I have made at least two impulse purchases through Gatwick while waiting for a plane. I have made some after lusting after a particular model flaunted on the forum. I have been swayed into buying by the forum favourites. I have bought to remember the death of most dearest relatives. I have bought because of technical marvels.

Motive to let go: simple - if I don’t wear it (with two sentimental except) it is in danger.

Martyn.
    Yep, I recognise most of these approaches .

I’ve only ever set myself one firm rule, which is I won’t borrow money to buy a watch. Other than that I’ve approached some purchases with meticulous planning and others on a total whim. One of my meticulously planned ones was a major disappointment, while two watches bought on a very ad-hoc basis have proved to be keepers.

Oh, and most of the watches I buy, I have not tried on first .

Make of that what you will! It probably says a lot more about me than it does about what represents ‘best practice’!

Simon

Craftsman
    So here are a couple from the current collection as requested. sorry for the less than stellar photography! I have a particular attraction to defunct watch bands it would seem.

IMG_3593.jpgIMG_3599.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Spend months looking at photos of watches that might be right for me.

2) With the thoughts that have been distilled from that, spend weeks investigating other watches that combine those attributes I'm currently keen on.

3) See a Seiko that vaguely complies with the desired specs and buy it the following day.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

1) See watch I like.
    3) Can I justify borrowing the money or get money from some other source? yes? goto 6 No? Continue
    5) Goto 1.
    6) Buy watch.
    8) Goto 1
    Fantastic! That was exactly me 2014 to last year.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Martyn.
    I used to have a very similar approach; extensive research to narrow down the exact manufacturer and model I liked, couple of drinks in the BA lounge at Heathrow and then impulse buy the nicest and shiniest thing you see in one of the watch shops. Couple of words of warning in using this method though. First is that it's damned hard to take back whatever you've bought and secondly you have to be an expert at 'forgiveness is better than prior approval'. I used to use the same approach with cars (apart from the couple of drinks bit of course) but had it firmly rebuked when I came home one day with a dark green mercedes SL. I'd gone out with prior approval to buy a nice blue one, but saw the green one and it just took my fancy. It was christened the bogey-mobile by my wife and kids and they refused to get in it (so it did have some advantages).

Craftsman
    I definitely have a problem with fear of missing out, be it a vintage watch that I worry I won't see again or a limited run of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

1) See watch I like.
    5) Goto 1.
    6) Buy watch.
    8) Goto 1

I do like that. It sounds like a lot of us.

Could also be:

1) see nice watch on sales corner (other sale media are available)
    2) check bank account for any surplus
    3) buy watch or fret about not having sufficient surplus funds to buy watch

Starts all over again each day, or each time you log in :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    See, love, buy.

Im not a planner.

I do have a hit list, but if I see something I really like & can justify buying, I do.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Tons of excellent and contrasting advice and experiences already posted here.

As a relative newcomer to watch collecting I have found that my approach has been definitely in the shotgun category however all but one of my recent purchases have turned out really well and, apart from that one, I am happy with what I have bought (all untried). I am now beginning to see a theme developing which will begin to guide my next purchases once I have the funds.

Try hard to ignore the FOMO (extremely difficult, particularly when buying vintage). I find the best way of doing that is to not look for a new watch until you have the funds (very difficult when you have joined a forum such as this, far too much temptation) then at least you don't know what you have missed out on.

I think Simon's (Mycroft) single rule of not borrowing is a particularly good one which I will take up.

Good luck.

Craftsman
    I usually want something a little different with a bit of history attached.. I'd sort of thought id try to get one of each category of watch for example one dive watch etc

Craftsman
    I do find it slightly amusing reading all of these messages. I am sure that we would all describe our watch collecting as a hobby. An outsider might be forgiven for referring to it as more of an addiction reading through this thread though.

How do you decide what to buy next?

Everyone is different I like to have watches that I know I am going to wear ...so at the moment I know I am wanting a another sub (probably due to the fact of another boat purchase ) :)) . So I spend a considerable amount of time researching the model I would like ..at the moment I am thinking Seiko 300MM for the simple reason that I love the vintage look also I was brought up on Seiko Divers as a boy ! Also they can be found at a reasonable price , something which is important to me as I wear my tool watches hard so although my fifty fathoms would be lovely it just wouldn’t feel right being worn in a force 8 gale ...
    So maybe think about use ....wether investment is important to you ! Something that I don’t personally care about if like it and can justify it that’s all the matters !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    See watch, obsess then buy.

Obsess - preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually and to a troubling extent.