closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling/trading with Watchfinder (now need receipts)

Master

Selling/trading with Watchfinder (now need receipts)

I made a recent enquiry with Watchfinder about a potential part exchange. The watch I proposed to part-ex was bought pre-owned. Watchfinder have replied "At this time we will not be looking to make an offer on this particular watch without the original proof of purchase." I understand there may have been some suspect transactions in the past, but this could be problematic for anyone wishing to trade with them if they don't have a paper-trail back to the original supplying retailer/AD. I enquired about different watches about a year ago and didn't encounter this, so it might be useful knowledge.

Ant

Craftsman
    This was covered recently in the thread below. Although in the thread below the watch being traded had only recently been acquired. They are just trying to protect themselves but agree if could prove problematic if they require original proof of purchase for all watches no matter how old.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ht=watchfinder

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    This was covered recently in the thread below. Although in the thread below the watch being traded had only recently been acquired. They are just trying to protect themselves but agree if could prove problematic if they require original proof of purchase for all watches no matter how old.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ht=watchfinder
    Thanks, thought I'd read something but then thought it must have been elsewhere - my search for Watchfinder didn't find WF

Ant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Thanks, thought I'd read something but then thought it must have been elsewhere - my search for Watchfinder didn't find WF

Ant
    Out of interest how old was the watch you were looking to move on?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If you can evidence previous bona fide ownership, and your acquisition on the same terms, there is no problem with WF.
    Last edited by Skyman; 17th January 2019 at 22:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Out of interest how old was the watch you were looking to move on?
    You know the answer already...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    You know the answer already...
    Does he?

I enquired about 2 watches as suggestions against a 2012 watch. One was 2018 the other 2007.

Ant

Does he?

I enquired about 2 watches as suggestions against a 2012 watch. One was 2018 the other 2007.

Ant
    I sold them recently a 2010 Omega with a recent from who I bought it off. But not a proper shop receipt and they was fine.

Was they Rolex ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    I sold them recently a 2010 Omega with a recent from who I bought it off. But not a proper shop receipt and they was fine.

Was they Rolex ?

One was a Rolex... They only sent the one e-mail so I assumed it was a blanket response as a result of tightening policy.

Ant

One was a Rolex... They only sent the one e-mail so I assumed it was a blanket response as a result of tightening policy.

Ant
    Ok I see strange one as not many folk have original receipts for watches.

Craftsman
    Hi all, personally I did think it was a tactic for bartering but I agree strange one not offering on a watch without an original receipt has me baffled.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I recently experienced this, and whilst I understand the concept, not sure it fits in with society.
    I had the watch, box, outer, service papers, repair proof and they still wouldn't accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    Hi all, personally I did think it was a tactic for bartering but I agree strange one not offering on a watch without an original receipt has me baffled.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Someone was recently done for dealing in stolen watches on a massive scale, and WF were one of his main customers. I wouldn't be surprised that they have been told with a capital T that they then to make absolutely sure they aren't selling stolen watches anymore.

Master
    Seems a gross over-reaction to me.

So by using their logic, they wouldn't buy anything back that they had previously sold to a customer?

I used to use WF and never, ever, have they provided ME with the "original proof of purchase".

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post

So by using their logic, they wouldn't buy anything back that they had previously sold to a customer?

I used to use WF and never, ever, have they provided ME with the "original proof of purchase".
    They recently emailed me a copy of the ALR certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post

Dropped off a few watches on Saturday, one of which came from Watchfinder originally, Fortunately it was on my account so no additional proof of purchase required.

The real issue is watches bought/traded privately, where the original owner will have retained the reciept (and may not have it by the time new owner comes to sell), or vintage pieces which by now have lost every last bit of paperwork :S

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They recently emailed me a copy of the ALR certificate.
    But based on the reply the OP received, would that be acceptable to them in lieu of the "proof of purchase"?

The ALR doesn't prove the seller bought it, which is what WF are trying to establish?

I wonder if this would be used as a bargaining chip by Watchfinder. Several times I have made money on watches I have flipped because I bought grey and Watchfinder paid me more than the watch cost me. If they have the original purchase price to hand I can't see this happening again. I can understand them wanting to make these checks but can't help thinking that it would be nicer if they made their offer first but made it conditional on then seeing proof of purchase.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I wonder if this would be used as a bargaining chip by Watchfinder. Several times I have made money on watches I have flipped because I bought grey and Watchfinder paid me more than the watch cost me. If they have the original purchase price to hand I can't see this happening again. I can understand them wanting to make these checks but can't help thinking that it would be nicer if they made their offer first but made it conditional on then seeing proof of purchase.
    I think as long as you say you have proof or purchase and that you'd show them once they have made an offer they would be fine with it. Ultimately it's supply vs demand so if they know they can sell a watch for X they know they can offer y.

For example look at the housing market the historic sale price of houses is readily available but that doesnt stop them being sold for considerably more because it's what the market dictates.