closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone's G-Shock Riseman altimeter gone dolally after X years?

Anyone's G-Shock Riseman altimeter gone dolally after X years?

My very faithful friend has finally gone a bit nuts. It has been an every single day wearer for nearly six years now and been bashed, sunk, in and out of salt water many times, up and down mountains. muddied, enjoyed but looked after, rinsed off etc and never missed a beat.

I know the altimeters were never that accurate but mine was perfectly acceptable and maybe reliable to 10% or so most of the time. But now it really has gone crazy with my usual home 100m altitude varying from -50 to 290m or more with the air pressure way off actual and the graph going up and down like a .....

Shame and how I wish Casio never stopped making these, the best G ever and all the newer ones are just too fat and ugly in comparison.
    Last edited by Max...; 17th January 2019 at 15:21.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mine is still good after a few years... they are the perfect "do anything" watch.
    I am assuming that it's clean and that the sensor isn't full of dust / mud etc ?

Ive has three of these (must be due another soon ) and the altemeters were all over the place. I recall waiting at sea level for the IOW hovercraft and it telling me that I was at 200m. It never bothered me that much as the size and fit more than compensated. The best wearing G Shock Ive tried.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Mine is still good after a few years... they are the perfect "do anything" watch.
    I am assuming that it's clean and that the sensor isn't full of dust / mud etc ?
    Yep, clean as a whistle. :)

Anyone else's fooked? - mine's still all over the place for good now it seems.

Or anyone got a fully working one in the drawer to sell!?!

Is this a bad time to say that my iPhone seems to be able to show the altitude to a few metres very reliably? Maybe Casio could use the same GPS technology?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Is this a bad time to say that my iPhone seems to be able to show the altitude to a few metres very reliably? Maybe Casio could use the same GPS technology?
    Maybe their GPS watches do (I don't know) but big downside in battery life and solar power unlikely to be viable and will need frequent charging.

Yes, have to say I'm no fan of GPS - there is just something wonderful and old school about receiving a radio signal each night from the atomic clock. Apart from the altimeter going off after five or six years my Riseman has been faultless and I only wish they still made it.

Since iPhone 6, iPhones have an internal barometer which will calculate altitude w/o GPS.

Unlikely to be as robust as a Riseman sensor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Anyone else's fooked? - mine's still all over the place for good now it seems.

Or anyone got a fully working one in the drawer to sell!?!
    I can only suggest removing the battery/capacitor and seeing if a reset works, or failing that send it to Casio - they’re very efficient and fixes are often very cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I can only suggest removing the battery/capacitor and seeing if a reset works, or failing that send it to Casio - they’re very efficient and fixes are often very cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers Rob, not really considered they would look at or fix it? I have fired off an enquiry so will see what they say. I have no idea if they will be able to help or of the cost - anyone been there?
    Last edited by Max...; 24th January 2019 at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Since iPhone 6, iPhones have an internal barometer which will calculate altitude w/o GPS.

Unlikely to be as robust as a Riseman sensor though.
    Thanks, I hadn’t realised that, I have a 6. Fair point about battery etc. My phone just about lasts a day.

I hope the OP can get his fixed. I do agree about keeping the old school tech working.

Cheers, Casio tech came back quick:

Due to the type of repair your unit may require, I recommend that you send it into us for our engineers to examine it.

After the engineer’s inspection, if the unit is repairable you will receive a free no obligation estimate and only if we receive a reply to the estimate we will proceed with the repair. The return of your unit is free of charge.

As with all G Shocks with these functions, there is a simple procedure to set the barometer, altimeter etc sensors back to their factor settings.

Check out the manual and see if that works.

If you have the G-9200 enter the barometer mode hold down button A until the digits start to flash then press buttons E and B together to return the sensor to factory calibration.

Mitch

Cheers Mitch but that just sets them to the original auto settings (ie not recalibrated to a local height/pressure) but mine are always on factory auto settings anyway. I did try custom setting the height to my local 100m but it would be way off again a day later.

Just to update this - I sent it to Casio about four weeks ago.

The liaison guy could not have been more helpful during this time - as the engineers including the 'chief engineer' will not speak to members of the public he relayed messages and calls to keep me updated. In short the line was 'altitude will vary blah blah blah' and my reply 'yes, yes, we all know that and 10% or even 20% or so is acceptable but a fixed altitude place (100m) should not be showing as -50m one day and 300m the next. That is a little bit out of acceptable variance.

This went back and forth, queries sent, BS back.

Upshot is I asked them to take the battery out and fully reset it that way as they insisted it was working fine. This to their credit they did and I believe put in a new battery and seal.

They tested it and stated all was well.

Got it back today. My little town in Sussex has not shifted skyward to the best of my knowledge but instead of being 100m high is now apparently 340m this morning!