Thread: The Grand Tour Season 3

Master

The Grand Tour Season 3

Back on Friday if anyone is interested.

Craftsman
    Yep, looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Looking forward to this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Can't wait. Sounds like it took them to get to the third season to realise what people expected and wanted from the show. Hopefully it's the end of celebrity whatnot and the like, and a pure focus on well, grand tours of a comedy nature.

Am I the only one who has zero interest in this? To my mind, when they left the beeb and were given their head, the whole thing just deflated into a bland, shiny mush. (YMMV, as they say.)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Back on Friday if anyone is interested.
    Thanks, will watch

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Am I the only one who has zero interest in this? To my mind, when they left the beeb and were given their head, the whole thing just deflated into a bland, shiny mush. (YMMV, as they say.)
    I will watch it. But only out of morbid curiosity.

They used up their last original idea and joke several years ago. But, here’s hoping that there will still be a least one diamond hidden in the rough somewhere.

Master
    Can’t wait, I might even buy a new tele just for the occasion

Craftsman
    I will definitely be giving it a watch, however thus far I haven't been very impressed with the grand tour. I thought season 1 was just awful, season 2 was better but still not a patch on the old top gear days so I'm hoping season 3 will be an improvement yet again.

At the moment I'd say I prefer the current version of top gear to the grand tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    At the moment I'd say I prefer the current version of top gear to the grand tour.
    It’s a shame Joey left, he was just getting into his stride and was very enjoyable to watch.

Master
    I

Wow, I must have watched a different beeb show. It was awful, wooden and awkward to me. The new hosts are a joke, Chris Harris must be pulling his hair out.

JC and the crew still raise a smile from me, yes it’s predictable and more of a show than a car show, but I enjoy it. I find it being on demand vs a Sunday night at 8pm (or whenever it was), has taken something away from it for me - even if I watch the OD at 8pm, don’t ask me why; perhaps as everyone watches it at different times & therefore the Monday car chat has gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will be watching with interest , I went with my Cortina to a grand tour meeting/event/ filming in Lincolnshire in November last year ( it was bloody cold!) as they are doing a ford Cortina special in this series , with mr Clarkson driving a gold Cortina 1600E as he used to have one , don't think it will be much, it was all very much TV luvvies , aside from that I don't find it as good as when the trio were doing it on top gear, but you can tell they upped the budget!

Thanks for the heads up.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I will definitely be giving it a watch, however thus far I haven't been very impressed with the grand tour. I thought season 1 was just awful, season 2 was better but still not a patch on the old top gear days so I'm hoping season 3 will be an improvement yet again.

I’m of exactly the same opinion.

So far TGT has been poor at its very best and absolute garbage for the most part.

The most baffling bit is how little they have actually toured.

In the first season they completely squandered the possibilities of the countries they were in, and in the second season they didn’t actually bother moving from Clarkson’s garden at all.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I believe this serious is all touring and they have binned all the guest parts.....

Cant wait as the trailer looked good fun

I went through a lot of the grand tour last week, fast forwarded through all the studio bits, and just watched the big film pieces. I quite enjoyed it, they did manage to capture at least a little bit of the old magic, but I did find all three of them very irritating on occasion. It's also remarkable how unhealthy Clarkson looks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    I believe this serious is all touring and they have binned all the guest parts.....

Cant wait as the trailer looked good fun
    I think this series is broadly similar in format to the first two, but will be the last like it. Next things they will be doing are all touring, but not sure if they are a number of individual specials, or another series

Craftsman
    I used to like them when they were like this -

Master
    Didn't they only sign for 3 series or did that get renewed? There was a huge increase in budget for the show. Ah the controversy that never really was is so long ago now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Didn't they only sign for 3 series or did that get renewed? There was a huge increase in budget for the show. Ah the controversy that never really was is so long ago now!
    I believe there will be no more after this series.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I used to like them when they were like this -

Clarkson pops up 17 min in, his style was the same even back then.

Master
    God I wish they did a RHD SRT Demon, that’s supercharger noise

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    I believe there will be no more after this series.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Amazon has announced it has commissioned a fourth season that will take on a completely new format as a series of specials costing tens of millions of pounds, with staggered release dates (via The Guardian).

from https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/realit...ormat-changes/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Amazon has announced it has commissioned a fourth season that will take on a completely new format as a series of specials costing tens of millions of pounds, with staggered release dates (via The Guardian).

from https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/realit...ormat-changes/
    That is what I hoped the grand tour would have been when they first announced it. The longer specials of top gear weee always the best (with the exception of a few, like India)

Well I've watched S3 E1, and it was pretty good. A couple of decent chuckles, and virtually no crap. I'd be happy if they just dish up more of the same.

Master
    Is Detroit REALLY as desolate as the episode made out? Or is it very bad but in isolated places?

Master
    Enjoyed it a lot, and hoping the final segment regarding celebrities is a genuine hint towards dropping the whole thing. It wouldn't have been too bad in the earlier series if it wasn't for the fact that it seemed to take up a quarter of the episode.

I’m genuinely quite surprised at the comments here. I thought the last series was embarrassing drivel, and as for Top Gear? Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Enjoyed it a lot, and hoping the final segment regarding celebrities is a genuine hint towards dropping the whole thing. It wouldn't have been too bad in the earlier series if it wasn't for the fact that it seemed to take up a quarter of the episode.
    +1 for this. Celeb section was always dross, tonight’s show was back to their best.

I haven’t seen TG since the BBC day’s, Christ! They are a right state. Wtf is going on with Clarksons teeth? And the accident prone midget needs to sort his hair dye out.
    Have they just sat there eaten pies and smoked fags since they got booted off the BBC?

It’s a familiar trope of jolly japes and towel flicking from a socially awkward trio of embarrassing uncles.

Bring back William Willard walking round a mid range saloon and seeing if if a set of golf clubs fits into the boot.

AMAZONSHITCARSHOW

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I haven’t seen TG since the BBC day’s, Christ! They are a right state. Wtf is going on with Clarksons teeth? And the accident prone midget needs to sort his hair dye out. Have they just sat there eaten pies and smoked fags since they got booted off the BBC?
    Wasn’t too bad. The bit where Hammond was getting his car 'drag ready' at the end made me chuckle but Christ, did you see the size of Clarksons gut overhang! He must have a 48” waist but still wears 36” jeans under his gut and still tucks his shirt in. Definitely been on the pies.

Master
    I thought that was the best yet. But then I didn’t watch most of the first two series or the last series of TG

I think we have to remember just what they did with TG. They took a car show and turned it into something so much more. By the end it was a bit bad but it’s hard to keep that going for well over a decade.

The new TGs are just so awful. They needed to reinvent it but they’re still stuck in the old show. I really can’t watch it.

Master
    Also who cares what they look like. It’s not an episode of TOWIE or the Kardashian’s. I couldn’t care less about their teeth or bellies

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Also who cares what they look like. It’s not an episode of TOWIE or the Kardashian’s. I couldn’t care less about their teeth or bellies
    Agreed! I can't believe people put that down as a negative to be honest.

I thought it was a fantastic episode, really enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Is Detroit REALLY as desolate as the episode made out? Or is it very bad but in isolated places?
    Yes, and has been the subject of lots of interesting photography ..

http://www.marchandmeffre.com/detroit

https://placesjournal.org/article/de...e-photography/

As for GT3, I didn't like it. Ego driven claptrap.

I thought it was pretty good. Certainly on a par with the best of the last series. The Exorcist was epic. 3.9mpg and ethanol fuel mix! What’s not to like?
    May’s “witless dishcloth” insult to Hammond was worthy of a BAFTA or Olivier award and worth the Prime membership by itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Well I've watched S3 E1, and it was pretty good. A couple of decent chuckles, and virtually no crap. I'd be happy if they just dish up more of the same.
    Ditto, but my ability to tolerate Hammond is fast eroding.
    Last edited by andy tims; 21st January 2019 at 15:00.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The first episode of Season 3 wasn’t as bad as most of the rest of Seasons 1&2.

Seasons 1&2 were mostly awful, and at various points considerably worse than awful.

Top Gear has settled into a good show again, and somehow still seems to look a lot more expensive than the Amazon show despite having a fraction of the budget.

Obviously TG at its height nearly a decade ago is far beyond anything similar produced today, and who can forget the expedition to the North Pole - still some of the best telly ever in my opinion.

But the Trio’s act cannot be eternal - the jokes have a limited shelf life, what was once original become derivative, even of themselves, and the audience moves on.

Moving to a number of “specials” is a smart move from Amazon.

Craftsman
    Finally got round to watching S3E1, I quite enjoyed it. As others have said it was much better than seasons 1 & 2. Main difference is they have got rid of the stupid celebrity section which does seem to have made a real difference to the feel of the show.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Season 3 Episode 1.....it was ok but still far too much idiotic drivel from all three of them but especially the gurning midget.It was only ok based on the last two series being complete rubbish.
    My 13 year old son liked it. I thought that was about the level it was aimed at.

Quite enjoyed it but I can’t believe that the rotating dash in the Senna wasn’t even mentioned?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Season 3 Episode 1.....it was ok but still far too much idiotic drivel from all three of them but especially the gurning midget.It was only ok based on the last two series being complete rubbish.
    My 13 year old son liked it. I thought that was about the level it was aimed at.
    I don't understand why on threads like this about TG/GT on this site and on others (Pistonheads etc), there are plenty of people like this that have watched all of Season 1, all of Season 2, watch the latest episode within days of it being released and still slate it. if you don't like it don't watch it. Granted Village says it was ok, but there are plenty of others that slate it yet continue to watch. Chris Evans Radio show seems to attract the same slagging off, if you don't like him, don't listen, plenty of other choice.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    I don't understand why on threads like this about TG/GT on this site and on others (Pistonheads etc), there are plenty of people like this that have watched all of Season 1, all of Season 2, watch the latest episode within days of it being released and still slate it. if you don't like it don't watch it. Granted Village says it was ok, but there are plenty of others that slate it yet continue to watch. Chris Evans Radio show seems to attract the same slagging off, if you don't like him, don't listen, plenty of other choice.
    As far as I'm concerned I don't tend to sit down and watch it off my own back because the three goons usually irritate me with their drivel. However,my son quite likes it and he often wants to sit down and watch it with his dad;hence why I still end up watching the odd episode.

But yes,I get where you are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    I don't understand why on threads like this about TG/GT on this site and on others (Pistonheads etc), there are plenty of people like this that have watched all of Season 1, all of Season 2, watch the latest episode within days of it being released and still slate it. if you don't like it don't watch it.
    This is why:

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I will watch it. But only out of morbid curiosity.

They used up their last original idea and joke several years ago. But, here’s hoping that there will still be a least one diamond hidden in the rough somewhere.
    Even as a TGT cynic, I quite enjoyed it. 7/10.

Master
    Watched over the weekend, it's not big, it's not clever, it's terribly puerile, but I really enjoyed it!

I thought it was good, it was entertaining, it was a bit silly and most of it was about cars.

A reminder of how interesting and engaging James May is, when he isn't 'in character':

Craftsman
    A reminder of how interesting and engaging James May is, when he isn't 'in character':

Very calm, sensible and you're totally right, very engaging. Clarkson, when he does documentary pieces, is also very good. If he's on a topic that he finds interesting it comes across in spades.

What irritates me when they're on GT is that I know that they can do this stuff but that then it gets ruined by the actions of 14 year old school boys. Clarkson driving across the vegetable patch in the most recent episode is a perfect case. It was a good segment in Detroit and then this childish nonsense in the middle just spoiled it.

Master

Haven’t really seen him in anything else. Your right though, that was a really nice departure.