closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Channelling through Celotex in a ceiling

Channelling through Celotex in a ceiling

Hi folks

After a quick bit of DIY advice if anyone has any ideas?

I have to run a couple of data cables tomorrow and have a small expanse of ceiling to go across (around 1.25 Mtrs). I dont fancy chopping into, then filling then painting the ceiling. However, close to where I need the run to go are 2 spotlights (65mm cutouts) that I can pull down out of the way and use the holes for access.

My thoughts are that If I can channel out the celotex between the spotlights, I can then route either end of the cables easily enough and I wont have to touch the finished ceiling. However, as above, I only have a 65mm cutout at each end so not much room to get a drill in (certainly not a 1.25 mtr long one :)).

Any ideas what I could use (the mains cables for the spots dont run through the celotex, they are fed from a different direction so I cant use the channel or route that they are in.

Basically i need a tool/idea/suggestion that I can pass into a 65mm ceiling hole that will burrow a horizontal channel (only needs to be 6-8mm diameter) to the next 65mm hole in the ceiling in the celotex (which is about 200mm thick by the looks of it).

I did think about getting small wood boring bit and get that going and then try and tape some flexible pipe (hose) to it to try and rotate/drill it along? Or try some of those fibreglass rods to see if they can bore their way through?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Neil

Another option could you stick up coving and hide what you need to behind that ? or does it need to across the ceiling?

Yup, needs to cross unfortunately ......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How about a flexible shaft with a drill bit on the end? Guiding obviously difficult but you could feed in lengths of copper pipe or some such as you proceed to keep it in a straight line.

It'll be quicker, a lot simpler and a lot less stress to just cut 1.25m long 30mm wide channel in the plasterboard ceiling and patch it in afterwards. If your ceiling is painted white it's even easier to match the paint afterwards!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    It'll be quicker, a lot simpler and a lot less stress to just cut 1.25m long 30mm wide channel in the plasterboard ceiling and patch it in afterwards. If your ceiling is painted white it's even easier to match the paint afterwards!
    I would do this too, quick to do the channel and not time consuming to repair with easifill.

Craftsman
    Cutting the plasterboard might cause it to drop dependant on the joist fixing, if it does getting a good finish on the repair may be hard. Single storey pitched roof you could go through celotex to the 50mm airspace dependant on rafters. Under tiles maybe but not easy either way. Good luck

I have just been having a poke around and to make matters worse, there is a nogging or two in the way as well so seems the chanel is the only way. I am thinking of adapting a dremel tile grout remover and grinding a channel rather than cutting fully through to hopefully prevent any drop. As you say, a bit of easifill and we should be good. I suppose I should be glad its not an artexed ceiling . Thanks guys....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Channelling through Celotex in a ceiling

Buy a set of cheap cable rods I reckon they would do it.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cablequic...-kit-10m/82483

Given is only 1.5 m I would buy a tool box kit which are thicker and shorter rods.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-might...5-pieces/3386t

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by MB2; 17th January 2019 at 00:15.

Just use an oscillating multi tool with it angled so it’s only going in 20-30mm (or whatever depth you need) and then fill and a further finish with tourpet fine surface filler to get a really good invisible join.

Fibre glass rods as linked above, normally there is a gap between the plasterboard and insulation , you should be able to ‘fish’ between them.. if not given the short length I’d say you should be able to push a rod straight through the insulation.. there is always a way!

Don’t forget if your channelling cables in celotex you need to increase the cable size !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - The cables are data cables not mains cables so no need to increase :)

All done - Ended up using the multitool (forgot I had it when I thought about using the dremel) with a depth guide. Cables in and first bit of filler in.

Thanks all!

N