closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Berlin at the end of the month

Master

Berlin at the end of the month

Any suggestions of what to see do where to eat etc there few days there with the Mrs, a place I’ve always wanted to visit and would welcome suggestions from people who’ve been.

KitKat Club is right up your street pal .

Depending on where you are staying , the zoo is one of the best. The Stasi museum is über cool, kind of what Liverpool will look like when it gets its act together 😁. Brilliant place . Do the Trabant tour, the Wall exhibition , Brandenburg Gate etc. It’s well set up for tourists mate, you’ll be fine .
    I went out to the Olympic Stadium to watch a game too.

Paging C-B
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Plenty of sightseeing opportunities. Walk along the Kurfuerstendamm, Gedenkniskirche ('remembrance church' with repairs post war, rather than rebuild) towards the Tiergarten (big park west of Brandenburg Gate). Tiergarten is just like one of the big London parks (zoo at the western end). Worth going through the Gate (Reichstag Building is just before it on the old west side) and along UnterdenLinden towards Alexanderplatz (big TV tower with ball towards the top).

Also worth seeing the Jewish Memorial and the preserved section of Wall....

Good eateries everywhere - Savignyplatz has a bucketload just north of Kudamm, but there are also traditional German bars/restaurants opposite the Gedenkniskirche.

Plenty of 'dodgy' clubs with live shows if that sort of thing floats your boat.......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Paging C-B

Yes, he's your man.

I spent the best 3 years of my life, living and working in Berlin as a very young serviceman, before and after the wall came down. A fantastic city. Must go back one day just to see how things have changed.

OP enjoy your trip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Yes, he's your man.

I spent the best 3 years of my life, living and working in Berlin as a very young serviceman, before and after the wall came down. A fantastic city. Must go back one day just to see how things have changed.

OP enjoy your trip.
    It's changed hugely......I, too, was there as a serviceman before the wall came down, then back a few times recently.....

Old East still has a very different vibe.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stasi museum definetly it’s kind of hidden away.

Craftsman
    If you're doing the typical tourist thing I wouldn't bother with check point charlie. It was underwhelming to say the least. If you like history then the Topography of Terror museum is well worth a visit.

It may not float your boat, but this is a great restaurant.

http://cookiescream.com

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    It may not float your boat, but this is a great restaurant.

http://cookiescream.com
    Directions: When you think you’re lost – you’re right.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Prepare for the cold weather. Berlin is fantastic. Something for everyone. Do you have any particular interests?
    I'd definitely recommend watching Hertha if they are at home and your good lady is accommodating when it comes to football!

Currently living here in Berlin and there is loads to do and plenty of different themes, so you could do War, Cold War and Wall, Bowie etc.

The centre is quite small so you can see all of the main sites easily in a day. You can also book online to go up the glass dome of the Reichstag. A boat tour is a nice way to see some of the city for an hour or two with a bier and wurst!

I would definitely recommend going to the open air wall museum at Bernauer Straße and then over to the East Side Gallery.

Berlin is gentrifying and Mitte isn’t as wild as it use to be but the East really does have a whole different vibe to the West.

Carlton-Browne is the real guru on cool places off the beaten track and I have been luckily enough to have been taken to a few but there are loads of decent places to drink and eat from street food places to gin bars and everything in between. In fact, Italian and Spanish Tapas places seem to be the equivalent to our Curry houses with hundreds here but I have listed a few restaurants below that I usually send to friends or work colleagues visiting. I have been to most of these or had good reports. They cross a range of budgets and types of food but you can’t go far wrong looking at the reviews on Google maps or trip advisor.

Crackers - is a little hidden restaurant with the door on Friedrichstrasse near the Weston hotel. ‪Friedrichstraße 158‬
    ‪10117 Berlin‬

Meisterstruck,*Hausvogteipl. 3, 10117 Berlin good for sausages and beer. A good casual place

Good Times is also close to Meisterstruck, just on the square to the right. A good Thai restaurant.*

Entrecote, decent French based restaurant.*‪Schützenstraße 5, 10117 Berlin‬

If you go to Hackescher Markt then there are loads of restaurants but a couple of decent ones are:

Oxymoron, Rosenthaler Str. 40-41, 10178 Berlin, Germany

Weihenstepaner, Bavarian restaurant,*‪Neue Promenade 5, 10178 Berlin‬

Hasir, Turkish,*‪Oranienburger Str. 4, 10178 Berlin‬

Brauhaus Lemke, German,*‪Dircksenstraße 143, 10178 Berlin‬

Oh don't forget the best chocolate shop in Berlin, good coffee and cake upstairs and near the best square in Berlin, Gendarmenmarkt

Rausch Schokoladenhaus, ‪Charlottenstraße 60, 10117 Berlin‬

‪Fine dining‬

FACIL
    Potsdamer Straße 3, 10785 Berlin, Germany

Hugos Restaurant
    Budapester Str. 2, 10787 Berlin, Germany

Tim Raue (Asian Fusion)
    Rudi-Dutschke-Straße 26, 10969 Berlin,

Midtown Grill (steak)
    Ebertstraße 3, 10785 Berlin, Germany

Grill Royale (steak)
    Posers place!

The main thing is just wander around the city is very safe for a Capital City and enjoy yourselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paw3001; 17th January 2019 at 11:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Prepare for the cold weather. Berlin is fantastic. Something for everyone. Do you have any particular interests?
    I'd definitely recommend watching Hertha if they are at home and your good lady is accommodating when it comes to football!
    It is very mild but a bit wet at the moment and we haven’t had any snow as yet!

With regards to Football, personally, I prefer FC Union over in the East. In the league below Hertha but much more atmosphere, closer to
    the action due to standing terraces and a lot cheaper with easy access to bier and sausages!

Craftsman
    If you've any interest in cars then Classic Remise is an absolute must. A fantastic place to wile away a few hours.

The choice of beer in Berlin is terrible with pils, weisse beers and dunkels being omnipresent. The one diamond in the rough is Vagabuni Brauerei which is a small brew pub. They have great staff and phenomenal beer, their double IPA is one of the best I've ever had.

Touring the dome of the Reichstag is very enjoyable. You have to book well in advance, but it's free and well worth a visit.

I need to do some editing and add a couple of things to this list:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?155050-Long-w-e-in-Berlin

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

A few edits below

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

Crackers - is a little hidden restaurant with the door on Friedrichstrasse near the Weston hotel. ‪Friedrichstraße 158‬
    ‪10117 Berlin‬

Meisterstruck,*Hausvogteipl. 3, 10117 Berlin good for sausages and beer. A good casual place

Good Times is also close to Meisterstruck, just on the square to the right. A good Thai restaurant.*

Went there in November - thought it was very good indeed.

Entrecote, decent French based restaurant.*‪Schützenstraße 5, 10117 Berlin‬

If you go to Hackescher Markt then there are loads of restaurants but a couple of decent ones are:

Oxymoron, Rosenthaler Str. 40-41, 10178 Berlin, Germany

Weihenstepaner, Bavarian restaurant,*‪Neue Promenade 5, 10178 Berlin‬

Hasir, Turkish,*‪Oranienburger Str. 4, 10178 Berlin‬

Best to go to the original in Adalbertsr in Kreuzberg - prices are lower as well.

Brauhaus Lemke, German,*‪Dircksenstraße 143, 10178 Berlin‬

I used to work around the corner and the received wisdom was that Lemke is a good bar but we stopped eating there.

Oh don't forget the best chocolate shop in Berlin, good coffee and cake upstairs and near the best square in Berlin, Gendarmenmarkt

Rausch Schokoladenhaus, ‪Charlottenstraße 60, 10117 Berlin‬

They also have a factory with an outlet shop you can visit (curiously I can't find anything on their website about this.
    Fassbender & Rausch factory and factory outlet: Wolframstraße 95-96, 12105 Berlin. Opening times: Mon to Fri, 10 am-6 pm. Sat 10am-2 pm.
    https://www.berlin.de/special/shoppi...ksverkauf.html

My favourite chocolate in Berlin is Erik Hamann but I did used to live 150 yards from their front door.
    https://www.stilinberlin.de/2012/02/food-in-berlin-erich-hamann-schokoladen.html
    http://hamann-schokolade.de/

‪Fine dining‬

FACIL
    Potsdamer Straße 3, 10785 Berlin, Germany

Hugos Restaurant
    Budapester Str. 2, 10787 Berlin, Germany

Tim Raue (Asian Fusion)
    Rudi-Dutschke-Straße 26, 10969 Berlin,

Midtown Grill (steak)
    Ebertstraße 3, 10785 Berlin, Germany

Grill Royale (steak)
    Posers place!

The main thing is just wander around the city is very safe for a Capital City and enjoy yourselves

Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 17th January 2019 at 07:44.

See Mr C-B is the Berlin Guru!

Master
    Head to hackescher markt of a day for bars and food. Very lively and good vibe.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Clärchens Ballhaus in Mitte

Walking tours run from outside the Starbuck by Brandenburg gate, the red start was great.

Queue for hours and go to Beghain

East side galleries.

Palace of tears.

Loads to do, fantastic city.

Blog Entries
    Kreuzberg is the coolest area…. Eat at the long March canteen - amazing food

There was a good shchitzel place in that neighbourhood too, but, I forget it’s name…

A cool town…. Berliners are different to your average German (probably a wild generalisation- sorry 😐)

Master
    Wow, thanks guys plenty to read up on whilst I’m working hard on night shift tonight ;)

Kittykat club lol just shown that to the Mrs and told “you’re going there on your own and don’t come back to me”

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Clärchens Ballhaus in Mitte - a very good shout

Walking tours run from outside the Starbuck by Brandenburg gate, the red start was great.

Queue for hours and go to Berghain

East side galleries.

Palace of tears.

Loads to do, fantastic city.
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    “you’re going there on your own and don’t come back to me”
    I believe that's how it's supposed to work, yes.

Craftsman
    Book in for breakfast at the Reichstag restaurant. Amazing views over the city, excellent food (almost a breakfast version of afternoon tea) and well worth it. Need to book in advance and arrive early as you have to clear security but very much worth it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Book in for breakfast at the Reichstag restaurant. Amazing views over the city, excellent food (almost a breakfast version of afternoon tea) and well worth it. Need to book in advance and arrive early as you have to clear security but very much worth it.
    Noted

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I believe that's how it's supposed to work, yes.
    The divorce club lol

I've been many times - it is probably my favourite European Capital.

Go up the TV Tower, take a boat ride, and definitely visit the Berlin Film Museum by the Sony Centre - it's excellent and in English.

I absolutely would recommend Checkpoint Charlie, pop up to the roof of the Reichstag, and the Holocaust Memorial is a must.

Depending on what you want out of the trip you could visit Sachsenhausen concentration camp - very powerful and moving.

Berlin is extremely safe, so enjoy a wander at night too.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I worked for a company out there for three years but never went site seeing, finally went last year with wife and son.

1. Book a meal at their parliament building, by booking in restaraunt you jump the long que, breakfast was very good.
    2. Sunday morning they do a buffet breakfast in the TV tower, Nike view and good breakfast.
    3. Bus tour was ok but it was winter so they had the roof up.

Craftsman
    I used to be a regular visitor, been going there since the early 1980s before/after the wall. Even went to Roger Waters "Wall" concert there in July 1990.

More recently, I've done walking tours from the Zoo station. The guides meet there at 10am and you can pick your theme (cold war, WW2, Stasi etc). Just look for one that takes your fancy and in English and off you go.

The top floor restaurant in KaDeWe is worth a visit. They just weigh your plate, so stock up more on smoked salmon than potato! The rest of the store is good, I believe it's second only to Harrods so the missus will love it. Just don't take your credit card!

I can recommend watching "Lives of Others" too. A great film (in German, English subtitles) about one aspect of the Stasi. Apparently it won lots of awards and Hollywood were interested in a remake.

Planning a weekend away weekend after this and Berlin is on the shortlist, only thing putting me off is the cold since it really is a walking city and I'm a lightweight these days.

With all these potential visitors to Berlin we could arrange a TZ-UK GTG city break!

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I used to be a regular visitor, been going there since the early 1980s before/after the wall. Even went to Roger Waters "Wall" concert there in July 1990.

More recently, I've done walking tours from the Zoo station. The guides meet there at 10am and you can pick your theme (cold war, WW2, Stasi etc). Just look for one that takes your fancy and in English and off you go.

The top floor restaurant in KaDeWe is worth a visit. They just weigh your plate, so stock up more on smoked salmon than potato! The rest of the store is good, I believe it's second only to Harrods so the missus will love it. Just don't take your credit card!

I can recommend watching "Lives of Others" too. A great film (in German, English subtitles) about one aspect of the Stasi. Apparently it won lots of awards and Hollywood were interested in a remake.

Planning a weekend away weekend after this and Berlin is on the shortlist, only thing putting me off is the cold since it really is a walking city and I'm a lightweight these days.
    the KaDeWe food court is amazing... i'd say its better than Harrods but I went about 10 years ago and haven't been to Harrods in the meantime (Lego Shop nearby too)
    some great places to eat near the station near the zoo while you ponder why the places looks a lot in places like Stevenage... must have used the same architects

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    it is probably my favourite European Capital.
    Mine too. If I spoke German I'd seriously consider moving there. (Based on a few days spent there as a tourist...! )

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Mine too. If I spoke German I'd seriously consider moving there. (Based on a few days spent there as a tourist...! )
    Why? Most people don’t!

However, this is a major bone of contention with the local populace and who can blame them!

Master
    Both my wife and I would up sticks and move to Berlin tomorrow. We love the place and spend all of our holidays there every year. Our friends think we are crazy but we'll be taking my brother and his Mrs to see what it is all about in May.

Make sure Alte Bibliothek is on you itinerary list

Last edited by VDG; 18th January 2019 at 23:37.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I’m really excited about it more and more reading through some recommendations on here, so thanks guys. This will be our first trip together in 7 years without the kids (they’ll be at grandparents) we did 2 nights last year in the lakes without which was lovely but too short really so 4 days somewhere with so much to do, staying in the lux11 Berlin mitte because it seemed like a good location for getting about and a good sized room etc. We’re both happy to walk about etc although looking at the weather I’ll need some fur lined boots and a bloody good coat lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I’m really excited about it more and more reading through some recommendations on here, so thanks guys. This will be our first trip together in 7 years without the kids (they’ll be at grandparents) we did 2 nights last year in the lakes without which was lovely but too short really so 4 days somewhere with so much to do, staying in the lux11 Berlin mitte because it seemed like a good location for getting about and a good sized room etc. We’re both happy to walk about etc although looking at the weather I’ll need some fur lined boots and a bloody good coat lol.
    How wonderful - you and your wife will have a great time…!

Let us know how you get on

Ben

Master
    Just back home, all I can say is wow what a wonderful city.

We had breakfast in the tv tower one day and the reichstag another both wonderful places to visit, one evening we ate in oxymoron excellent food impeccable service just a lovely place. Visited everything we could and still felt like we missed loads but it was truly wonderful.
    for some reason I hadn’t comprehended the sheer size of the wall the whole trip was a rollercoaster of emotions really, and I must applaud their openness about it all and having it on display etc it’s not that they’re proud of parts of their history quite the opposite but they’ve put it all out there warts and all.
    We paid a stupid people tax (that’ll be us) by getting fined for being on a train without a ticket I honestly thought you could pay a conductor as our train arrived just as we did, well you can’t and approaching the ticket checking guy to buy 2 tickets resulted in a €120 fine no flexibility or understanding from him at all lol still our fault price paid.
    Overall I’d recommend everyone visits beautiful place, and one to add to the list is Escados steakhouse which was just round the corner from our hotel so an easy first night meal fantastic steaks and great service if we didn’t have so many other places to try I’d have eaten there again.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys made a huge difference to our trip, oxymorons for example was hidden away we’d have never found it by chance.

A faredodging Scouser ?
    Who d a thunk it ? :)
    Glad you enjoyed it pal. I’m tempted to do about ten days in September in Germany.
    I’ve done Berlin before but migh5 incorporate it again into a road trip .
    Hopefully catch up at the Mcr go GTG?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    A faredodging Scouser ?
    Who d a thunk it ? :)
    Glad you enjoyed it pal. I’m tempted to do about ten days in September in Germany.
    I’ve done Berlin before but migh5 incorporate it again into a road trip .
    Hopefully catch up at the Mcr go GTG?
    I did think the guy was a German manc ;)
    Loved the place mate I'd happily return.

Yes all being well I'll be at the MTG 👍