closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New here and would like advice about an old rolex

Apprentice

New here and would like advice about an old rolex

Hi all,
    I am new here and looking for some advice. I have my late dad's old Rolex that he purchased from new. I have owned it for 20 years and because it didn't have a strap, I replaced the strap through my local Rolex dealer 15 years ago. Apart from that I believe it is original as it has never been serviced by Rolex so hands, face, bezel have never been touched. It has never been polished either and it keeps perfect time..
    From what I can remember, he bought it in 1965 when we were stationed in Singapore because he bought a Rolex Tudor for my mum at the same time. I think it may be a 5513 but I need to check the model number and serial number inside the lugs to find the year of issue but is there anything else I need to look for inside the case itself. I have no paperwork. I have attached photos and would be interested to know if the face is what you guys refer to as the 'Gilt' face I believe.

Many thanks

Kevin

w2.jpgw1.jpg

The member probably best qualified to offer an opinion here is Haywood Milton - although a better quality photo might help!

Simon

Blog Entries
    I am no expert - but after some 'googling' found this articles which seems to indicate that if your father bought the watch in 1965 then it could be a 'gilt dial' - the serial number could help.

refs:

http://www.woundforlife.com/2015/02/...ner-gilt-5513/
    https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

Looks like a 5513 to me and could be worth a few pence so suggest needs insuring appropriately.

Haywood is best placed for advice on this and could probably assess it's value if you could send it to him.

Now you've joined - please join in!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th January 2019 at 14:39.

Apprentice
    Many thanks for your input guys. My apologies for the lousy photos. I may try taking more at the weekend.
    I wanted to check the issue date for insurance purposes as I don't have it insured and I never wear it. Criminal I know but depending on value, I may yet sell it if it does turn out to be a genuine 1965 5513. I was considering asking my local Rolex dealer to verify its authenticity to start with and then asking the experts on here for a true valuation.

Master
    The photo show a gilt dial 5513, which is a desirable watch and has gone up in value considerably in recent years. Estimates of values vary enormously, but one without any serious issues, e.g dial detoriation would be well into the £teens

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    The photo show a gilt dial 5513, which is a desirable watch and has gone up in value considerably in recent years. Estimates of values vary enormously, but one without any serious issues, e.g dial detoriation would be well into the £teens
    Many thanks for this. It has no issues as far as I know. It keeps perfect time and apart from the strap, which I paid £200 to replace 15 years ago, nothing has been done to it. I will try and get some better photos at the weekend with the case taken off.

Master
    If all as it seems, condition of the dial here would play a massive part in the value.

I look forward to photos that aren't taken using Google Earth!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    If all as it seems, condition of the dial here would play a massive part in the value.

I look forward to photos that aren't taken using Google Earth!
    lol thanks Milton. I will try and get some better photos on Friday.
    I take it that close ups of the face in natural daylight are the important factor
    As a novice who understands nothing about what is considered to be good condition, my perception is that the dial has no cracks and no signs of fading. The hands are intact with no sign of determination. The digits around the dial have a consistency of almost like a patchy creamy yellow. It has been in a cardboard box for decades.

I don't know anything about these things, and usually think they look really quite unremarkable, but yours looks lovely and has a really nice warmth to it in (despite/because of!) the photos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    lol thanks Milton. I will try and get some better photos on Friday.
    I take it that close ups of the face in natural daylight are the important factor
    As a novice who understands nothing about what is considered to be good condition, my perception is that the dial has no cracks and no signs of fading. The hands are intact with no sign of determination. The digits around the dial have a consistency of almost like a patchy creamy yellow. It has been in a cardboard box for decades.
    It's Haywood.

Good.

Yes.

Hands do not need determination unless intending to join the armed forces.

Katie Melua picture

Katie Melua described in 100 words

Until Friday then.

Master
    It's Haywood.

Good.

Yes.

Katie Melua picture

Until Friday then.
    Stop it, you're killing me..

Master
    From that very poor picture it looks like a gilt with a good strong case and sporting a long 5 insert which is probably original to the watch. With the addition of a 7206 rivet bracelet you have a very desirable vintage watch. Well worth taking some better pics and let HM give it a good looking at. You are a lucky fella.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    From that very poor picture it looks like a gilt with a good strong case and sporting a long 5 insert which is probably original to the watch. With the addition of a 7206 rivet bracelet you have a very desirable vintage watch. Well worth taking some better pics and let HM give it a good looking at. You are a lucky fella.
    Thanks. I didn't know that watches from this era were so sought after

- - - Updated - - -

It's Haywood.

Good.

Yes.

Katie Melua picture

Until Friday then.
    Love the sense of humour :-)

Looks very similar to mine (5513, 1965, a 1.35m serial number) Here are a couple equally poor pictures - one using a flash, which can help highlight any imperfections on what ideally should be a mirror like dial...

Gilt dial Rolex have so much character which is often difficult to portray in photographs taken by us amateurs equipped with only a smart phone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk