closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BBC Radio

BBC Radio

How come Soul Music has reached its 27th series before I found it? I caught Schubert’s B-Flat Piano Sonata D960 and Smile on air and I'm now halfway through Songs of the Civil Rights Movement.

With 142 episodes available now and more to come there should be something for everyone. NB They are programmes about the music rather than performances.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    How come Soul Music has reached its 27th series before I found it? I caught Schubert’s B-Flat Piano Sonata D960 and Smile on air and I'm now halfway through Songs of the Civil Rights Movement.

With 142 episodes available now and more to come there should be something for everyone. NB They are programmes about the music rather than performances.
    Very good. Prepare for some sad stories though.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Very good. Prepare for some sad stories though.
    'Smile' had me in tears this morning.

Thanks for this - I'd never heard of this either and it looks to be very much of interest. Now that Desert Island Discs has been taken over by a CBBC presenter this gives me another option (though, to be honest, Private Passions on R3 is winning out).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Radio 3. Another reason why £3 is cheap and amazing value for money.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

In amongst the plethora of comedy repeats and whilst grudgingly accepting the updated News Quiz as 'OK' I stumbled across Nature Table...and am enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    whilst grudgingly accepting the updated News Quiz as 'OK'
    I know what you mean - I don't like the new shouty host at all and it seems to be attempting to cater for a much younger audience. Perhaps late teens...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I know what you mean - I don't like the new shouty host at all and it seems to be attempting to cater for a much younger audience. Perhaps late teens...
    The News Quiz is anything but "ok" since Nish Kumar took over the chair from Miles Jupp.

Radio 4 still has the occasional comedy gem, but there's too much of the likes of the afore-mentioned Nish Kumar, who is probably the only person who finds Nish Kumar funny, and stuff from the less-enlightened 60's and 70's.

I could listen to repeats of "I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue" or "Mark Steele's In Town" all day and every day.

Or Terry Wogan reading "Janet and John" stories. The BBC archives must be filled with comedy gold, yet they still give us Nish Kumar.

The more astute of you may have spotted that I don't like Nish Kumar.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The more astute of you may have spotted that I don't like Nish Kumar.
    Curses! I had missed the subtle hint...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

BBC Radio

I have an iPod full of old Radio 4 comedies - all the Andy Hamilton stuff, Cabin Pressure, ISIHAC, Rambling Syd Rumpo, Just A Minute, Hamish & Dougal (with Jeremy Hardy as the Laird), etc.

Still incredibly funny, even after repeated listenings.

But the 6:30 slot these days is simply risible. I honestly can’’t recall anything that has made me smile, let alone laugh, in the last year or so. When I hear them announcing the 6:30 slot it is now the prompt to turn the radio off and listen to an audiobook. It is all so painfully laboured, with canned laughter and idiots whooping in the audience.

The BBC is so focused on trying to attract the youth audience that it has forgotten about commissioning anything for an audience with a mental age above 15. Swearing and pre-pubescent left-wing agitation is apparently what the kids want these days. If so, they are welcome to it.

I had the misfortune to listen to Nish Kumar hosting the News Quiz today on the Saturday lunchtime repeat. It’’s like listening to an unfunny Rick from The Young Ones.

It’’’s such a shame.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 29th February 2020 at 21:52.

The News Quiz was based on an idea by Nicholas Parsons.
    The poor man must be turning in his grave.
    It's to be hoped Just A Minute doesn't go the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by hopak View Post
    The News Quiz was based on an idea by Nicholas Parsons.
    The poor man must be turning in his grave.
    It's to be hoped Just A Minute doesn't go the same way.
    Just A Minute is well on it's way to the same fate, IMO. it's lost all pretence at being a quiz and become a forum for repartee and banter...that is supposedly comedy. The good news is that some of is actually funny. A lot of it isn't. Much depends upon the personalities involved, some hosts are better than others, as are the 'guests'.