closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Arrival, the Siduna M3440

A New Arrival, the Siduna M3440

So, watch wise I have had a busy week, with two new custom straps delivered, one of my favourite watches being re-lumed, two new watches and I have just pout two more up for sale.
    This post is about the more significant of those two.

About 6 months ago I posted here about being loaned the prototype for a very well specified Lemania "Viggen" (or SwAF if you prefer) re-creation/hommage by a re-launched brand called Siduna.

As I stated at the time, the deposit that had secured me the loan of the prototype stayed put against one of the production watches, and after final payment a few of weeks ago, I have now received it, one of the first batch of 8 or so to leave the workshops in Landskrona, Sweden.
    To be perfectly honest, it's the second time this watch has arrived with me, the first time the package had been badly dropped and the hand stack was not aligned, so back it went, very reluctantly.
    Now it is back with me to stay. Pretty soon I think they are hoping to have assembled a good proportion of the initial run of 100 of this watch.

So how is it?
    Initial impressions are, in no particular order:

It arrived in the same design box as the prototype, a simple, black card slip solding a flat box in a hard, man-made material reminiscent of bakelite with a dark wood veneer outside, signed Siduna. The flat box was chosen to avoid pre-shaping the strap. The box is quite aggressively sprung, ensuring it stays open or closed and moves between the two with a snap. All of this is pleasingly retro and understated. No massive cases, no drawers full of 300-page dealer network tomes and instructions in 50 languages. The watch is retained in clips, and that's it.

It came the darker of the two brown calf leather options, called Havana, 20mm at the lugs and 18mm at the signed buckles, 2 keepers and of notable quality. So far I too have held off shaping the leather to my wrist, I have penty of nice 20mm leather straps to use first. I also have the default tropic-style, textured and vented nitrile rubber en route to me, but I put it straight onto a new Steveo canvas pull-through "zulu", which is very comfy.

I am really pleased that the case finishing exceeds the high standards set by the prototype. The edges are crisp, the main surfaces finely brushed, the chamfers polished and the transitions are very clear.

One change is that the sides of the bezel behind the grip are now polished, which makes sense, and avoids having 2 different directions of brushed finish on the case sides.

The stark white on black legibility of the dial and hands is essential in this military style of chronograph. Speedmaster Pro level clarity. It looks great.
    The dial is a very nice black, with a finish somewhere between matte and satin. The sub-dials are cut deep into the dial, and have the classic concentric ring finish, which somehow contrives to look more satin than the rest of the dial. The contrast is lovely.

The bezel has definitely been improved, and being slightly glossier it appears blacker than the dial. The protoype suffered slightly from the use of a clear, but grey-looking binder for the luminous numerals and indices, and in daylight they looked dull. No such problem exists now, bezel pops just as clearly as the dial, and in daylight the lumed parts look identical to the un-lumed individual minute indices.
    The legibility does continue on into the night, as the lume is very effective. I like good lume, and this dioes not disappoint, with the bezel slightly greener, and the dial and hands in a more icey blue.

I believe the profile of the crystal has changed ever so slightly from the prototype, with a narrower external curved section to the edges, and less distortion as a result.

Sure, I admit that I am going to be pre-disposed to like this. The guys at Siduna have been nice to me, and trusted me with one of their valuable prototypes. Also, this is a re-creation of a very well-known and now highly-prized Lemania military watch.
    You could argue that I am pre-programmed to find that attractive.
    But that also means I have some relatively well-tuned critical instincts in regard to reincarnating such a "grail".
    I feel there is a strong imperative to get such an hommage "Right" in order to respect the original version.
    Have they succeeded? Is this worthy to tread in the illustrious footsteps left by Lemania?
    Yes. Without doubt.
    This watch does everything that the original did. It is a legible, practical, waterproof (WR 100m) chronograph with bezel. The format is right, the sub-dials are the right ones in the right place, and the case has not grown a millimetre in diameter.
    But at the same time, the watch has been updated. The movement is automatic, the crystal sapphire, and the bezel unidirectional and 120-click. These are all new things compared to the original.
    I understand all these choices, and for an update I prefer them over the original specification. A manual movement would have made the case thinner, but not much, and it would undoubtedly have limited the potential audience for this watch. So automatic is a perfectly sensible choice.

I am happy that the new generations of aspheric sapphire crystals offer a proportion fo the character of the original acryllic crystal, whilst massively increasing damage-resistance. That is a good trade-off, in my eyes. And the 100m WR makes sense of a uni-directional bezel.
    So I really do see this as a worthy successor to the Lemania. And with the modern WR, servicability and warranty, it makes a much more practical and affordable alternative to buying the original.
    Lemania themselves were definitely form-derived-from-function designers, and the specification changes from that to this really do add to the functionality, in keeping with the Lemania ethos.

I applaud the fact that Francis and Peter have made affordability a key requisite in the design of the M3440. A tool watch should be affordable, otherwise it becomes too pricey to justify wearing it. The price of this watch puts it in line with the most notable purveyors of functional chronographs at the present moment, Sinn, Junghans, Damasko, Guinand and so forth. Put this watch in the mix with any of those brands and Siduna come out well in the comparison in terms of tech and in terms of value. I might add that, in my opinion, the Siduna is just better-looking than any of them.

I also know that Siduna will not be standing still, and I look forward to seeing their next moves.

Dave

Very nice Dave. Although chronographs are not really my thing, I have to say that I do like that one.
    I hope to get a closer look at the next "meet".

Bazz.

Looks good, like the way they've done the subdials.

I remember the thread you did about the prototype, pleased it was worth the wait.

Thanks gents, I really do like this a lot. It is really restrained as a design, and relies on classical good proportion rather than decorative complication.

D

Looks very well executed. Reminds me of the Zenith Tipo CP 2.

Master
    Dave,
    such a good looking incoming!
    Did you opt for the fly back version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I didn't go for the flyback, it is not a feature I have wanted for, so I reckoned I could do without.
    D

Journeyman
    Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great write up Dave! It makes me want a Siduna now!

Cheers

Dave

Journeyman
    Siduna looks great, I like the simple Black and White watch. Enjoy !

Thanks gents, liking this more and more the longer I wear it - its understated style really appeals to me.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Lovely watches but the OPs post read like a novel

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I like to actually write posts, rather than just put up a picture or two. I am sorry if you find that tiresome

Master
    Great review Dave. Thanks for posting and for the detail, its useful to know as much as possible about the smaller/less well known brands.

Sean

How are you getting on with this,Dave?
    Am debating between this and Dodane and Guinand.

Still loving it.
    It is very understated, with some really nice detailing.
    The lume numerals are like the Vertex, seemingly 3D printed in luminous material onto the dial.
    The polished chamfers are very nice, and the recessed textured subdials lovely.
    I have not owned the others, but i think you would certinly not br disappointed in the Siduna.
    It is a shame the brand has not flourished more, this may end up being the only watch they ever make.
    Dave

I have been looking at this watch a couple times and I agree that it’s a real shame the brand hasn’t taken off more than it has. Seems like they should be able to garner interest..

Do any owners find it’s thickness to be too cumbersome?

I have noticed a new pricing on their website, which might help nudge buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    I have been looking at this watch a couple times and I agree that it’s a real shame the brand hasn’t taken off more than it has. Seems like they should be able to garner interest..

Do any owners find it’s thickness to be too cumbersome?

I have noticed a new pricing on their website, which might help nudge buyers.

I tried one on a borrow, no issues with the thickness of the watch at all the overall quality is excellent.

Master
    I went for the flyback version and really like it.
    I asked Francis the owner if he could ship the reverse panda dial and hand combo as well and he did so without any extra cost which was great to see. If I ever get bored of the classic look I can swap things around and have a new watch!
    Quality wise the watch is absolutely top notch and the brushed finish compared to the polished one gives it a more foolish look that the original viggen.
    I hope this helps and if you are on the fence it really is worth going for it!

That's a great looking watch, congrats. Right up my street. I will definitely be checking out the brand.

Every time I see this thread, I think about it. One day….

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Every time I see this thread, I think about it. One day….
    I’m in the same boat. Love the look of it, am just teetering on the edge. If anyone starts posting more pictures in here i could well be pushed over

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I tried one on a borrow, no issues with the thickness of the watch at all the overall quality is excellent.
    I’m sorry to hear that as I might have to buy one. At 1499$ it’s really a bargain.

Master
    Guess $1499 will be plus vat though and possibly shipping costs,still not out of the way really. Very, very nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Guess $1499 will be plus vat though and possibly shipping costs,still not out of the way really. Very, very nice watch.
    Their website is lacking info on VAT so I have sent them an email asking.
    I have found their eBay though and there it says explicitly that import duties etc. are paid by them.

I noticed they sell on eBay for just over £1k and according to the listing, duties and tax are included so no nasty surprises. Not sure how they do that so you might want to check.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202925282...53.m1438.l2649

Worldwide Shipping. Delivered All Duties Paid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    I’m in the same boat. Love the look of it, am just teetering on the edge. If anyone starts posting more pictures in here i could well be pushed over
    I shall oblige ;

At that price, it is a no brainer. Buy it now before they run out of them

You will have an immensely hard time trying to find anything like that quality in an automatic chronograph for the money.
    I am almost tempted to buy another one.
    Dave

It really is very very nice..
    How does the bezel feel when operating it? Is it firm and precise or otherwise?

Master
    It really is very very nice..
    How does the bezel feel when operating it? Is it firm and precise or otherwise?

The bezel feels great. It is firm and precise indeed. A good thing for me is the fact that it is not as firm as others that you can’t move without taking the watch off. So perfect I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    The bezel feels great. It is firm and precise indeed. A good thing for me is the fact that it is not as firm as others that you can’t move without taking the watch off. So perfect I guess!

Great thanks

Delivery times means I'll have to wait until after hols but I'll be keeping an eye on them until then.

The Longines didn't work out and this was a close second and I'm falling off the fence.

I’m holding off until they answer my VAT question via mail, because i want the reverse panda dial and that’s only advertised on their website

A cracking looking watch , congrats on the new addition .

Looks superb. If the VAT really is included it’s gonna be hard to resist. Have just dug out my CWC 83 reissue to wear for a bit to see if I could bear to get rid - as that would probably be the one to make room for it.

Master
    Error.
    Last edited by bobc; 2nd August 2021 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Looks superb. If the VAT really is included it’s gonna be hard to resist. Have just dug out my CWC 83 reissue to wear for a bit to see if I could bear to get rid - as that would probably be the one to make room for it.
    Please give me a heads up if you are going to list it, probably won't be in position to buy but I'll certainly be checking if it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I noticed they sell on eBay for just over £1k and according to the listing, duties and tax are included so no nasty surprises. Not sure how they do that so you might want to check.

I saw that didn’t know duties were paid too! Think that next purchase just got closer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Not sure where you have seen that but this is what I see.

Master
    Just to add that I'm UK based so that may change things.

If you expand the item description on eBay the full text starts like this - not a lot of detail on the duties paid though..

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmo61 View Post
    A cracking looking watch , congrats on the new addition .
    OP bought it in Feb 21. Not so new but still awesome:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    OP bought it in Feb 21. Not so new but still awesome:-)
    I've had mine since Jan 19, not 21.

I just want to follow up with a word of caution. I have written to these guys no less than three times in the last 2 weeks using both the contact form and the direct email and I have heard nothing back, not even a curtesy “we are looking into it”.

I know that they might still just be on summer holidays and everything might be fine. I just don’t want to send money to them if they are not responding to enquiries.

Be careful if you are looking to buy from them.

I’ll amend if they ever answer me..

The whole of Sweden is on holiday at the moment. Well, nearly all of Sweden. I expect it will be business as usual in September.

Keep us updated though - I'll be seriously considering one next month.

Master
    I just want to follow up with a word of caution. I have written to these guys no less than three times in the last 2 weeks using both the contact form and the direct email and I have heard nothing back, not even a curtesy “we are looking into it”.

I know that they might still just be on summer holidays and everything might be fine. I just don’t want to send money to them if they are not responding to enquiries.

As an owner I have found them to be very responsive and accommodating. I can try and contact the owner for you if that helps?

Master

I had a similar experience - emailed them last week as to availability of their flyback model and received an automated email from them immediately , but nothing since.
    I assumed that holidays may be the reason so happy to wait to hear back from them.

Master
    As expected, I reached out on WhatsApp and Francis, the owner responded within the hour.
    Please see below his response.

Hello Aris. Thanks for your consideration.

Yes I did get a question about customs a while ago. We decided to adopt an _all inclusive_ price policy so customers don’t have to worry about paperwork or _surprise_ costs.

Are those stickers over the Chrono pushers or are they actually blue and gold?
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    So, watch wise I have had a busy week, with two new custom straps delivered, one of my favourite watches being re-lumed, two new watches and I have just pout two more up for sale.
    This post is about the more significant of those two.

About 6 months ago I posted here about being loaned the prototype for a very well specified Lemania "Viggen" (or SwAF if you prefer) re-creation/hommage by a re-launched brand called Siduna.

As I stated at the time, the deposit that had secured me the loan of the prototype stayed put against one of the production watches, and after final payment a few of weeks ago, I have now received it, one of the first batch of 8 or so to leave the workshops in Landskrona, Sweden.
    To be perfectly honest, it's the second time this watch has arrived with me, the first time the package had been badly dropped and the hand stack was not aligned, so back it went, very reluctantly.
    Now it is back with me to stay. Pretty soon I think they are hoping to have assembled a good proportion of the initial run of 100 of this watch.

So how is it?
    Initial impressions are, in no particular order:

It arrived in the same design box as the prototype, a simple, black card slip solding a flat box in a hard, man-made material reminiscent of bakelite with a dark wood veneer outside, signed Siduna. The flat box was chosen to avoid pre-shaping the strap. The box is quite aggressively sprung, ensuring it stays open or closed and moves between the two with a snap. All of this is pleasingly retro and understated. No massive cases, no drawers full of 300-page dealer network tomes and instructions in 50 languages. The watch is retained in clips, and that's it.

It came the darker of the two brown calf leather options, called Havana, 20mm at the lugs and 18mm at the signed buckles, 2 keepers and of notable quality. So far I too have held off shaping the leather to my wrist, I have penty of nice 20mm leather straps to use first. I also have the default tropic-style, textured and vented nitrile rubber en route to me, but I put it straight onto a new Steveo canvas pull-through "zulu", which is very comfy.

I am really pleased that the case finishing exceeds the high standards set by the prototype. The edges are crisp, the main surfaces finely brushed, the chamfers polished and the transitions are very clear.

One change is that the sides of the bezel behind the grip are now polished, which makes sense, and avoids having 2 different directions of brushed finish on the case sides.

The stark white on black legibility of the dial and hands is essential in this military style of chronograph. Speedmaster Pro level clarity. It looks great.
    The dial is a very nice black, with a finish somewhere between matte and satin. The sub-dials are cut deep into the dial, and have the classic concentric ring finish, which somehow contrives to look more satin than the rest of the dial. The contrast is lovely.

The bezel has definitely been improved, and being slightly glossier it appears blacker than the dial. The protoype suffered slightly from the use of a clear, but grey-looking binder for the luminous numerals and indices, and in daylight they looked dull. No such problem exists now, bezel pops just as clearly as the dial, and in daylight the lumed parts look identical to the un-lumed individual minute indices.
    The legibility does continue on into the night, as the lume is very effective. I like good lume, and this dioes not disappoint, with the bezel slightly greener, and the dial and hands in a more icey blue.

I believe the profile of the crystal has changed ever so slightly from the prototype, with a narrower external curved section to the edges, and less distortion as a result.

Sure, I admit that I am going to be pre-disposed to like this. The guys at Siduna have been nice to me, and trusted me with one of their valuable prototypes. Also, this is a re-creation of a very well-known and now highly-prized Lemania military watch.
    You could argue that I am pre-programmed to find that attractive.
    But that also means I have some relatively well-tuned critical instincts in regard to reincarnating such a "grail".
    I feel there is a strong imperative to get such an hommage "Right" in order to respect the original version.
    Have they succeeded? Is this worthy to tread in the illustrious footsteps left by Lemania?
    Yes. Without doubt.
    This watch does everything that the original did. It is a legible, practical, waterproof (WR 100m) chronograph with bezel. The format is right, the sub-dials are the right ones in the right place, and the case has not grown a millimetre in diameter.
    But at the same time, the watch has been updated. The movement is automatic, the crystal sapphire, and the bezel unidirectional and 120-click. These are all new things compared to the original.
    I understand all these choices, and for an update I prefer them over the original specification. A manual movement would have made the case thinner, but not much, and it would undoubtedly have limited the potential audience for this watch. So automatic is a perfectly sensible choice.

I am happy that the new generations of aspheric sapphire crystals offer a proportion fo the character of the original acryllic crystal, whilst massively increasing damage-resistance. That is a good trade-off, in my eyes. And the 100m WR makes sense of a uni-directional bezel.
    So I really do see this as a worthy successor to the Lemania. And with the modern WR, servicability and warranty, it makes a much more practical and affordable alternative to buying the original.
    Lemania themselves were definitely form-derived-from-function designers, and the specification changes from that to this really do add to the functionality, in keeping with the Lemania ethos.

I applaud the fact that Francis and Peter have made affordability a key requisite in the design of the M3440. A tool watch should be affordable, otherwise it becomes too pricey to justify wearing it. The price of this watch puts it in line with the most notable purveyors of functional chronographs at the present moment, Sinn, Junghans, Damasko, Guinand and so forth. Put this watch in the mix with any of those brands and Siduna come out well in the comparison in terms of tech and in terms of value. I might add that, in my opinion, the Siduna is just better-looking than any of them.

I also know that Siduna will not be standing still, and I look forward to seeing their next moves.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Are those stickers over the Chrono pushers or are they actually blue and gold?
    This is just wax to protect them from any surface scratches before reaching their owners

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    As expected, I reached out on WhatsApp and Francis, the owner responded within the hour.
    Please see below his response.

Hello Aris. Thanks for your consideration.

Yes I did get a question about customs a while ago. We decided to adopt an _all inclusive_ price policy so customers don’t have to worry about paperwork or _surprise_ costs.

Thanks that is most accommodating.
    I would appreciate a direct answer before buying - I hope you won’t take offence..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk