closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reykjavik. Any good recommendations?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Reykjavik. Any good recommendations?

Hello chaps

We're off to Iceland's capital next Wednesday as part of my best friend's Bucket List. My missus has booked the usual tours, Northern Lights, Blue Lagoon etc, but we've 3-4 nights of freedom. Can anyone recommend any good restaurants/bars etc? My mate & my missus are a bit, how can I put this, a bit careful with their money, already the thought of shelling out a tenner a pint is putting them off!

So any good tips/places etc would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    Hello chaps

We're off to Iceland's capital next Wednesday as part of my best friend's Bucket List. My missus has booked the usual tours, Northern Lights, Blue Lagoon etc, but we've 3-4 nights of freedom. Can anyone recommend any good restaurants/bars etc? My mate & my missus are a bit, how can I put this, a bit careful with their money, already the thought of shelling out a tenner a pint is putting them off!

Cheers

Adam
    Try the outdoor swimming pools in the town - just as relaxing as the Blue Lagoon but without the factory next door.

If you are of a certain age you may remember this house from the news. You can't go in, but it's free to walk past.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...al_Region.html

Golden Circle tour is well worth doing, plus the Ice caves

Or maybe stay away from this Whale murdering country?

Journeyman
    Three places in Reykjavic that I would recommend are:
    Hlemmur Matholl (http://www.hlemmurmatholl.is/english/)
    Icelandic Street Food (https://www.icelandicstreetfood.com/)
    Icelandic Craft Bar (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...al_Region.html)

Hlemmer has good food and drink, really nice place to have a meal and a great atmosphere.

Icelandic Street Food does things like soup served in a loaf of bread, really tasty and I think you can take the food next door to the Icelandic Craft Bar.

Your friends will love the hot dog stand near the harbour. Cheap and filling, order the Clinton and you’ll be set.
    What I always tell folk is not todo the tours. It’s so easy to hire a car , grab a map and follow the circle . Everything is well signposted, parking is a breeze and all the attractions are free.

It isn’t cheap there but lots of hotels and bars do happy hours .
    The food is stunning, don’t skimp on this even if it just means you and your wife.
    The tasting menus at both Fishmarkt and Grillmarkt still rank as some of the best meals I’ve ever eaten.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Or maybe stay away from this Whale murdering country?
    Great suggestion. I'll bear you in mind when I book my Summer holidays...

My mate & my missus are a bit, how can I put this, a bit careful with their money, already the thought of shelling out a tenner a pint is putting them off!
    With that knowledge to hand, how the hell did you end up with these proles on your trip, they'll do your head right in.
    A friend of mine went for 4 days just after Christmas with tales of fish 'n chips for 4 people = £ 130

Master
    Easy to spend over £100 on a meal for two. I’m not sure it was the best idea to take your friends- We just didn’t think about the money as it would just ruin your break.

If you like a drink get the Appy Hour app- Reykjavík Appy Hour by Grapevine or call at the duty free by the baggage pick up at the airport.

The Golden Circle tour we went in was excellent- Five of us in a big wheel jeep thing with a brilliant guide. Picked up at hotel at 8am and dropped off at 9pm.

Laugavegar is one of the best streets for shops and bars. Try Public House Gastropub.
    Last edited by craig1912; 16th January 2019 at 16:19.

Reykjavik. Any good recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    With that knowledge to hand, how the hell did you end up with these proles on your trip, they'll do your head right in.
    A friend of mine went for 4 days just after Christmas with tales of fish 'n chips for 4 people = £ 130
    Yes, go with your mate’s missus.

My son went with few mates last year. Hired a car, stayed in Airbnb and bought food in equivalent of Lidl/Poundland.
    Going next month with his girlfriend, maybe he’ll spend a bit more!

Hello chaps

Cheers

Adam
    Hi Adam

The wife and I went last year, we'd booked it and then my wife got made redundant so we too were watching the cash a bit as it can be fiercely expensive.

We ate twice at the Chuck Norris Grill, a typical American Diner, it was central and offered very good vfm and some very tasty burgers and fries: -
    https://www.facebook.com/chucknorris...30980030439062

Another winner was the Lofts Hostel which had a great central location and 4th floor bar/café with roof top terrace with a great outlook of the City. It had an extended happy hour so beers were great value, well worth finding: -
    http://www.lofthostel.is/

Other than the above we found some other reasonable places, we refused to eat anywhere selling the delicacies of Minky Whale, Puffin or Greenland Shark on ethical grounds; albeit I understand the hypocrisies' of being an avid meat eater and caring less about where my Steak etc comes from, but hey.

We did the Golden Circle; very good, Blue Lagoon, very good and also the free walking tour; brilliant and free (but a tip is expected and very fair).

Enjoy, it's a great place to visit.

BR

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post

Other than the above we found some other reasonable places, we refused to eat anywhere selling the delicacies of Minky Whale, Puffin or Greenland Shark on ethical grounds; albeit I understand the hypocrisies' of being an avid meat eater and caring less about where my Steak etc comes from, but hey.
    What's unethical about eating puffin?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What's unethical about eating puffin?
    Tastes like chicken ??

Craftsman
    The wife and I have been twice now and had a fantastic time, it remains our favourite holiday and we will go again. Yes its VERY expensive, but the best way to tackle that was to save up plenty and write the money off! it helps that the currency has a few extra zeros on so its easier to hand your money over without realising how much £uk it was.

Anyway, the good stuff...
    Guyser & Gulfoss waterfall which is a must
    Blue Lagoon another must and the attached restaurant was great
    Lava tube caving where you do need to be a bit nimble
    Whale watching
    The whale centre/museum
    Icelandic horse show where you go to the stables afterwards to meet them and hear how and why they are so different to other horses and the countries strict regulations surrounding them (the wife rides horses I dont, but still enjoyed this one)

Food...
    Tapas Barinn was our favourite (most of the food in Iceland is incredible)
    Fish and Chips was expensive yes, but they did a fish in breadcrumb instead of batter which was simply the best fish’n’chips I have ever had, and it was caught earlier that day.

Northern Lights tour is obviously a no-brainer and if they are a no show you go back every night (free) until you do see them.

There are two main tour operators Greyline and Reykjavic Excursions, both great, same busses (with free wifi) and same locations so take your pick!

Have a great time!
    Last edited by trainspanner; 16th January 2019 at 19:51.

One of my favourite places. I’ll try and give a more off-beat view.

If your friends are tight and like a drink, I recommend they buy booze before leaving the airport, because they don’t sell alcohol from supermarkets or anything - there’s only one Government-run off-licence in central Reykjavik, which is a pain to get to if you’re not near it.

The bars & people are amazing fun. They have an iPhone App to check whether they’re related in case they end-up kissing their cousin whilst out (given there’s only about 300,000-odd of them).

’Tapas Barinn’ if you want a tasting menu of whale, puffin, horse, shark etc. The restaurant at the main bus stop sells a half sheep’s-head. Due to the nature of the island, Icelanders have historically eaten pretty much anything, and that remains in part, though perhaps more so for tourism. The rotten shark ‘Hakarl’ tastes exactly as you’d imagine. ‘Caruso’ is a nice Italian, and the much-vaunted harbour hot dog is actually really tasty (part lamb, both fried & raw onion). ‘Laundromat’ is a cool cafe, and a functioning laundry. ‘Kaffibarinn’ used to be owned by Damon Albarn of Blur. ‘Prikid’ is the oldest cafe/bar in the island, and a nice little spot. The ‘Chuck Norris’ cafe is amusing.

The Penis Museum is an eye-opener, to say the least.

In the Blue Lagoon, get your clay from the pots around the edges - don’t pick-up the stuff on the bottom unless you want more than clay on your face. For the girls, don’t put the silicate in their hair, it’s quite harsh stuff to get out. You’re expected to shower beforehand in the buff, for cleanliness reasons, but they have some cubicles too. They sell alcohol from a pool-bar too.

The Blue Lagoon is on the way to the airport, and the airport bus stops there, so it makes sense to do it either just after arrival or before departure. But the local heated pools are worth doing too.

Presuming you like watches (!) so don’t miss JS Watch Co’s tiny little shop on the Main Street - Gilbert and his son, Sigurdur (two of the four owners/founders/employees) are lovely, as are the watches of course, and they can show you their watchmaking studio & photos of past customers like Tom Cruise, the Dalai Lama, Yoko Ono etc.

If you buy anything of value, leave extra time to claim 15% Tax back at the airport in cash (and you will of course declare & pay the VAT upon return to UK, won’t you...).

Due to the geoheated sulphur water, and unless you have posh hotel, the shower water smells of rotten eggs, but don’t worry, it doesn’t cling.

Check beforehand as to seasonal & operator success-rates if you’re going whale watching - and bear in mind they count a porpoise as a success (part of wider family), so I saw nothing whatsoever (not even a porpoise).

Master
    Budget for a lot, then double it and you won't be disappointed!

Master
    Take your Halifax Clarity card instead of cash, even the hot dog stall and fish and chip wagon take cards.

Master
    Another recommendation for Laundromat cafe - breakfasts there are excellent.

Been to Fishmarket restaurant a couple of times for the tasting menu - second time with our daughter. I phoned ahead to ask them to substitute whale for something else as we didn’t want to eat it and they were more than happy to oblige. My daughter said recently it’s her most memorable meal. Quite memorable for me too, as the bill was over £400. Excellent food, mind..

Mikkeller and Friends has a nice vibe and hundreds of craft beers, but is very expensive.

I’d thoroughly recommend the Kex Hostel for drinks. I’ve stayed there once and the rooms are pretty basic, but the large bar has a great vibe in the evenings and often live music.

Enjoy your trip!

Master
    Being careful with your money and Reykjavik don't really go together. We ate in an Italians on the main street one night, I thought the price of a pizza would bring tears to my eyes until the Mrs ordered Rosé wine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Another recommendation for Laundromat cafe - breakfasts there are excellent.

Been to Fishmarket restaurant a couple of times for the tasting menu - second time with our daughter. I phoned ahead to ask them to substitute whale for something else as we didn’t want to eat it and they were more than happy to oblige. My daughter said recently it’s her most memorable meal. Quite memorable for me too, as the bill was over £400. Excellent food, mind..

Mikkeller and Friends has a nice vibe and hundreds of craft beers, but is very expensive.

I’d thoroughly recommend the Kex Hostel for drinks. I’ve stayed there once and the rooms are pretty basic, but the large bar has a great vibe in the evenings and often live music.

Enjoy your trip!
    It’s closed permanently.
    Another good restaurant/bistro bar is Snaps which is attached to really nice hotel Odinsve
    Last edited by craig1912; 17th January 2019 at 08:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    It’s closed permanently.
    Another good restaurant/bistro bar is Snaps which is attached to really nice hotel Odin
    Aw, that’s a shame. Wonder why? It was always busy.