closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch rotation

Blog Entries

Watch rotation

Since a lot of members here have more than one watch I got to wondering how often others changed from one watch to another? Do you have a set rota or not?

I must admit with me it's all a bit haphazard, some might be worn for a week straight, others just a day. Often depends what I'm doing and where I'm going as well as to who gets the call.

Ian

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I’m the same as you, but sometimes at home I may wear two or three in the same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to stick with one for work and the other for days off.
    Both get used when on holiday.
    And the one that the family bought me, for those family occasions.

Craftsman
    Explorer during odd months, zenith during even months. Simples

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post
    Explorer during odd months, zenith during even months. Simples

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I like that one!

Master
    One for Monday to Friday, then three weekend / holiday watches which get worn depending on mood

Totally random for me
    I pick a watch in the evening and set it ready to go for the morning.
    I tend not care about which watch goes with which ‘out fit’ bar not wearing a G Shock with a suit but anything else goes as long as I can get it under a cuff.

Master
    A few days per watch normally, unless something demands a change, like an evening I know will be a drunken one = beater.

Though on occasion I will wear two watches in a given day just coz. Did that today actually.

Random, unless it's an occasion/function, business trip or holiday then I'd wear something more formal, GMT or GMT/diver/blingy respectively.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I usually wear randomly between my current top 2 favourites. The rest (10+) sit in the box... then I get guilty about the waste of money... short-list what to sell and try them on to decide.

Top 2 list changes as I remember why I liked the watch I'm thinking of selling.

... and repeat.

Blog Entries
    If the month has a ‘p’ in it it’s a Patek month. No hang on - that’s not right

Master
    I try and change most days in order to get around all of the collection within a couple of weeks, otherwise they just sit there unworn

I just wear my BLNR until I get bored of it, then switch to another for a few days, then revert to BLNR because it is best.

I take 11 watches out of the safe, and have 10 in the box and 1 for my wrist - wear whatever of those I feel like in the morning when I wake up. When I get a little bored I swap the 11 watch around, and then choose from those 11 instead, and so on and so forth. I don’t particularly want to have a plan for rotation.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I go firstly by what ill be doing and secondly by what catches my eye on a particular day.

e.g. If im going fishing, its going to be one of my beaters, and really, i usually like to use my skxa035 on nato for that, but i have used the 007 and casio 5610.
    If im in the office its more likely ill go for something that fits under a shirt cuff.
    I wont wear something just because it has not been worn in a while however. If it continously doesnt catch my eye, its probably time to flip it.

All that said, even the best in my small collection of 9 watches is probably considered an entry level beater to most guys here.

What I'm going to write will sound nuts but never mind:

I used to have five watches that I regarded as daily wearers; they would get a week each, in turn (the order was carefully decided on, to make the most of what contrast there was)

I also had another five watches which were more occasional - these were paired up with the five daily wearers, and each one would pinch a day or two from the week's daily wearer, or all the evenings, or whatever.

Sometimes I would want to wear a specific watches on specific occasions, so then days would get swapped around. All this planning and amending and balancing was very pleasurable

And then one day, I suddenly found myself wanting to be wearing one of the watches most of the time; that carefully-tended plan went out of the window, and half the watches got sold.

Journeyman
    Change EVERY day and a have an afternoon change too. That way, all watches are worn at least once a week.

Watch rotation

Totally random. I usually wear anything new for as long as I can tolerate it. Weeks/months. Then, I’ll start to pick little faults with it, start to think about selling it and stop wearing it.
    Or I’ll decide I love it and it’s a keeper, but remember one I’ve not worn for a while that I used to love, feel sorry for that one and put it on - usually for a few days, sometimes only the day, then get stuck in a bit of a change-every-day-or-so loop until I either buy something new, or one just gets stuck on me for a while - maybe travel for work for a week, the the swapping fever subsides and I go again for weeks or months with just one.

Absolutely zero forethought behind any of it - apart from if I feel a bit glum, I wear my dad’s old Seiko that he handed down to me when I was about 14. Will wear that for a day

Truly, I want to have only One watch - but there are so many watches that could be my “One” that I swing between 3 and 10 at any given moment.
    I’m also a sucker for a good photo - and see things here that I never even knew I needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 16th January 2019 at 12:16.

Fairly random, every 2 to 3 days. To generalise, bracelet watches more oftern in the hot weather, straps when it's cooler.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    Totally random,I may be wearing a watch around the house then change it going out.

I may be wearing a watch then someone on here mentions a watch in WT,I remember I have one,how much I like it then put it on.

It drives me crazy I often wish it was back when I had just one watch and no clue.

Journeyman
    Totally random and generally chosen to suit my outfit and what's planned for the day.

I normally have four or five watches, and probably wear three of them heavily for a few months at a time. The three seeing regular wear evolve with the seasons and as my taste wanders between variations in case size, dial colour, complications, bracelet and intangibles.

Currently SKX007, Explorer 214270, and IWC Mark XV in heavy rotation and Tudor Prince Oysterdate'Jumbo' and G-SHOCK barely seeing any use.

I feel there's no correct way to enjoy your watches, so long as you enjoy them and don't stress about it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised that so many are saying it's fairly random. I thought most would be much more organised than me and have a rota or similar idea.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Everyday rotation until thrice a day on some sunday (g schock for swimming pool or wood working in the garage, toolwatch for a walk in Saint Malo, and a GS for dinner e.g.) ;)

Craftsman
    3-4 days is the sweet spot for me.

Journeyman
    I am trying to rotate all of them equally. If I do not wear any of the watches for longer period, it is a signal for me to let it go

Craftsman
    I wore my Sinn U2 every day from June 07 - July 2017 (when it then went away for service) .... I still wear my Sinn U2 at least part of every 24hours, it is my beater.
    I intersperse wrist time (currently) with my Sinn U1000. I always sleep with a watch on my wrist so thats how they share time.

I'm quite OCD about knowing what watch I wore on a given date / occurrence.

It's extremely rare for me to wear the same watch 2 days running. When I dress in the morning either I choose a watch that goes with what I'm wearing and doing or (more anally!) I choose the watch first then decide what to wear! I have a bit of a thing about colour co-ordination, so I'd never wear an orange-dial watch with a red shirt or even a blue watch with a black suit. Sad, isn't it?!

I try to ensure I wear all my watches, and there are currently a small handful that aren't getting enough 'air time' and so I'm thinking about bringing down my current 16 to 10 or 11. It'll be interesting to see how that goes, of course...

Simon

Apprentice
    My rotation habits have been mangled by the addition of a series 4 apple watch not long ago. (sacrilege I know) I tend to wear this now for much of midweek meaning my 4 gooduns only really come out to play at the weekend. Even then it's nearly always my hulk that gets the nod! I have a black sub I which is only months old and it never even gets a look in now! complete waste really. Bloomin apple watch has a lot to answer for.

Craftsman
    Dress watches Monday to Thursday, even if I'm wearing casual-ish clothing. Usually change into another watch in the evenings when I'm home. Usually the same dress watch all week, but the evening one changes day to day usually.

Sporty watches Friday to Sunday. Often will switch in the evening. Different watches each day usually.

I will wear a watch until I get bored of it and then change. I tend to wear a CWC diver the most (could be weeks or months at a time), then Speedmaster, then a couple of others.

If I'm doing something that needs a beater then a GShock, although sometimes I wear a GShock just for fun, crazy fool that I am.

Craftsman
    I'm the ultimate timepiece tinkerman...

I'll start the day in the gym wearing my G-Shock.

I'll then switch to one of my 16750, 1603, Speedmaster or 1957 Seamaster Sub-Second for my office hours.

When I get home, I'll switch to something different from the above if I'm going out again.. or stick on another Casio if I'm just going to doss about the house.

My Hamilton Chronomatic and Lip Ninja get out to play on holidays and weekends!

Master
    Usually random, but 2-5 day as an average I guess, recently I’ve been wearing my Garmin more often than not. I think it could be time to thin the herd?

Craftsman
    I have one main watch for ages then other watches might get a day here or there, but not long enough so the 1 runs down.

Which can feel a bit limiting so if I’m working from home I have been known to strap another watch to the other wrist..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Multiple watches per day, plus changing up straps and bracelets etc.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Random and over long periods.
    I'll probably switch in summer as I'm currently wearing a rubber strap watch and they annoy me in heat.

No real formula or anything with me. I have three that I wear regularly; Explorer, BB58, Speedy Pro.

Sometimes I’ll wear one for days on end and other times I wear two a day.

Journeyman
    Usually two per day when at home / local, one during the day and one for the evening.

I often work away for a few days at a time, I'll always take an SS bracelet and then something on leather.

Sometimes I struggle to get certain watches off my wrist for days though; this one is guilty of that....

Sometimes I try to rotate to keep everything ticking, but like keeping plates spinning it's a lot of effort. Then I'll just take a period of time wearing what I want - usually this means a couple of watches for the week - and trying not to think of those other poor watches sitting there not ticking....

I've no hard and fast rules. The only thing I've learned about myself is that I will avoid wilful damage at all costs, so even if I buy a G-Shock as a beater, I'll take it off for DIY or working on cars etc. I'm just naturally somebody whose quite fussy and takes care of things, and I've a big clock in the workshop :)

I still like to change watches each weekend and wear the next one for a week, usually on a Sunday for no particular reason. That does tend to get interrupted by new incoming, because they naturally have to be worn for a few days, so that trumps the usual weekly change.

A new arrival gets at least a full week on the wrist (some demand a longer period). Then they go into the rotation. Have 4-5 watches that get worn very regularly (at least once a week), 4-5 worn at least once a month and then a big heap of vintage (20 or so) that gets the occasional day on the wrist.

Of course all that went out the window when the 372 arrived. Been on the wrist 40 of the 48 days owned.

I only have a small collection and I rotate regularly between them, they get two weeks each :

Orange bezel PO 45.5, BBN, BLNR, Prospex Diver, TAG F1 and a Series 3 Apple Watch.

The only deviation is when it's not appropriate to wear one of the more expensive watches, either physically or culturally, then I change to the Prospex or the Apple.
    Last edited by thefatboy; 17th January 2019 at 17:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Since a lot of members here have more than one watch I got to wondering how often others changed from one watch to another? Do you have a set rota or not?

I must admit with me it's all a bit haphazard, some might be worn for a week straight, others just a day. Often depends what I'm doing and where I'm going as well as to who gets the call.

Ian
    Same for me, but I always change to my "bed watch" when I go to sleep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Same for me, but I always change to my "bed watch" when I go to sleep
    Omega Planet Ocean is one of my favourites in the night. Just so readable in the dark!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I have 12 watches, 8 auto, 4 quartz, the quartz are worn daily in rotation as I sit at a desk all day, the autos are worn on nights out/ occasions/weekends and picked on what takes my fancy but also were I am going/what I am doing, the good thing is I work from home and they all sit in a glass case on my office wall which means I can gaze at them in all their glory all day

Master
    Its a bit haphazard - weekend's I tend to where the PRS-10 as it fairly cheap and comparatively small and low profile - so won't get knocked about so much.

For work - I usually wear a watch for about a month then rotate.

When I go on Holiday I tend to take one of my Quartz Divers.

Craftsman

Watch rotation

My 3 watch collection ticks all the boxes for me and makes choosing what to wear pretty easy.
    Work watch/beater (CWC quartz Diver)
    Everything else watch (Sinn ezm 3)
    Sports watch (G Shock Mudman)

I have a couple of old ‘back up’ beaters which I haven’t had the heart to sell but they generally stay in the drawer and don’t get worn.

For me there is no system - I just wear what I fancy that day (or two) and for what I am doing eg. suited and booted, weekend mode, holiday, but I try to get round to all 10 and keep them all worn reasonably regularly. I do wonder sometimes if it's better to give them each a longer run before changing but even a full day plus power reserve is a lot of ticks. I can see my collection reducing in number to relieve the rotation 'pressure'.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I tend to have a favourite for a while and wear that for the majority of the time, then I feel bad for the others and give them some wrist time until a new current favourite appears :)

As others have said, it can also depend what I'm doing on any given day as to the choice made in the morning!

Craftsman
    I wear the same one for a week or two then go to the bank and swap it for something else

Apprentice

Seiko addiction

I have a broad range of watches and currently seem to buy quite a few watches that I like the look of but keep spending more and more time wearing skx007j or sbdx001 with an sbgx061 quartz when my wife let’s go of it .

I love owning my other watches but these Seikos seem so good to wear