closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Service

Journeyman

Omega Service

I have a 1960s automatic Seamaster, Cal 562 with date, that needs a service and new crown and a manual wind Cal 601 that needs a service
    - any tips on who / where to get it serviced

Ideally looking to spend a max £200 each...

Any advice would be very helpful

Thanks

Grand Master
    I could sort both if these provided you don’t mind waiting, I’ve just taken a boatload of jobs on so I’m busy again.

Have a look on H & V, you’ll see I’ve got plenty of form for these jobs!

I keep a good stock of parts for these, so that won’t be a problem.

PM me if interested.

Blog Entries
    Swiss Time Services (STS) should be able to sort you out. Not sure on the budget but they come highly recommended.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Swiss Time Services (STS) should be able to sort you out. Not sure on the budget but they come highly recommended.
    STS are sometimes the best bet if a watch needs a lot of hard to source parts such as dials and handsets for certain models, but there are cheaper options for the more run of the mill stuff.

STS operate a ‘once size fits all’ price structure and frankly it’s only good value if the watch is a basket case needing lots of parts. I don’t agree with this, I believe in charging parts and labour separately, that’s the only fair way to do it in my opinion.

Take my own 1967 Constellation for example; I bought this watch at auction to restore and keep in my collection. A new crown and glass were obviously needed, but I got a pleasant surprise with the movement. Despite showing signs of tarnish, and witness marks from the rotor contacting the movement, the parts that typically wear and need replacement were in fine condition, obviously having been replaced at some point in the past. A new mainspring was the only movement part fitted, and that watch gives amplitude of 290 degrees with excellent positional agreement. The reverser, rotor bush and spring barrel (parts that often need replacement at significant cost) were all in good condition so I didn’t need to deplete my stash of parts.

Parts supply continues to be a challenge, but currently I’m still managing to source the stuff I need for the vintage Omegas I choose to work on.

Horses for courses, if sending a watch to STS is the better option I’m only too pleased to advise an owner to do so, but it does depend on the idividual watch.

Craftsman
    I've heard very good things about Anglesey Watches & Clocks on another forum for excellent servicing at reasonable prices (no affiliation).

Ummar, I can thoroughly recommend Paul (walkerwek1958), who did a fantastic job reviving my 1972 Omega Geneve Dynamic. Trust me, it didn't look like this when I sent it to him...

Simon

Master
    STS are great but the problem is on anything older than about 1990 you are looking at a pretty big bill for the service, think £450 plus which means they aren’t ideal for a vintage piece worth only a few hundred quid

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I've heard very good things about Anglesey Watches & Clocks on another forum for excellent servicing at reasonable prices (no affiliation).
    I have wondered about them too as they are probably my closest watchmaker. What type of watches were they receiving praise for?

You could try Simon Freese (ex-service manager of STS for years), who is excellent but might come in at over your budget. He might not though, and is a lot cheaper than STS.

.olli. of this forum is also excellent and has recently serviced an Omega for me.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    You could try Simon Freese (ex-service manager of STS for years), who is excellent but might come in at over your budget. He might not though, and is a lot cheaper than STS.

.olli. of this forum is also excellent and has recently serviced an Omega for me.
    I use him too, he will be cheaper than STS on something like this but only by circa £50-100 so still way over the £200 budget. Olli or Watchguy/Mitka would be more like it I would think.

Blog Entries
    There are other resident watchmen like Brendan (webwatchmaker) of this parish. Maybe drop him an IM for a quote.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Ummar, I can thoroughly recommend Paul (walkerwek1958), who did a fantastic job reviving my 1972 Omega Geneve Dynamic. Trust me, it didn't look like this when I sent it to him...

Simon
    That is a fantastic looking watch. Really fabulous.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I have wondered about them too as they are probably my closest watchmaker. What type of watches were they receiving praise for?
    I've read about quite a few Omega owners using him (which is why they're of interest to me), Tudor's, IWC's, Tag's and various vintage stuff. He has an excellent reputation by all accounts. Very busy though.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the comments, have sent out a couple of pms

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    That is a fantastic looking watch. Really fabulous.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thank you, it was my 18th birthday present from my parents and is therefore quite important to me. To give you an idea of the work it needed...

* The cal. 752 movement was stripped down, all parts cleaned and lubricated.
    * A sticking day/date change was sorted out.
    * The mainspring was replaced.
    * The case was stripped and refinished to remove years of marks and damage.
    * The crown seal was replaced.
    * The crystal was replaced.
    * The watch was regulated to the point where it now runs as well as it did from new (only marginally outside COSC - on a 47-year-old watch!).

Paul is something of a purist and really wanted to put the watch back on the correct period leather strap (which I have retained), but I persuaded him to put it on the generic steel bracelet I bought for it as it gives the watch considerably more 'heft' - the leather strap tapers to just 14mm at the buckle and feels a bit weedy.

Apologies to the OP for a short thread hijack.

Simon

Grand Master
    One problem with the Dynamic (and Seamaster Devilles) is regulating them!

Owing to the one-piece case design the glass has to be removed to get the movement out from the front, after pulling the split crown/stem out first. It’s all too easy to mark the new glass using a typical crystal lifting tool, and the specific Omega tool (Tool 107) is as rare as hens teeth! The trick I use is to build the watch up and refit an old glass that I don’t mind marking when pulling it in and out to make adjustments. Once I’m happy with the watch I fit the new glass..........once!

I remain convinced that the Dynamic design works best on a strap, the bracelet’s OK but for me it detracts from the unique oval shape of the case. Replacement bracelets, complete with Omega symbol, are available on eBay, quality’s reasonably good and they’re a better option than a beat up battered original.

Omega sold the Dynamic in large quantities, with several dial options, automatic option with or without date, hand-wound option (with or without date). They also produced day/date versions using the 752 movement like the one Smon’s featured here. These have a slightly deeper case to accomodate the taller day/date movement.......nor a lot of people know that.

Gold-capped and solid gold options were also offered......the choice is bewildering!

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the recommendations everyone

I’ve been in touch with a few people and sent them out to Brendan Webwatchmaker

Journeyman
    Watches returned from Brendan and he’s done a great job. Highly recommended

thats a very nice looking watch and great turnaround by Brendan too, well done!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    STS are great but the problem is on anything older than about 1990 you are looking at a pretty big bill for the service, think £450 plus which means they aren’t ideal for a vintage piece worth only a few hundred quid
    My ex boss had his deceased fathers 1960s Omega Seamaster recently serviced by Omega and I got the impression the cost was around £500.00

I have to say, if you got a decent watch like a 1960s Seamaster, why go anywhere other than Omega ?

Love the detail on the date window!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post

Craftsman
    What a classic, a beauty!

Craftsman
    That's beautiful. Elegant and classy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    My ex boss had his deceased fathers 1960s Omega Seamaster recently serviced by Omega and I got the impression the cost was around £500.00

I have to say, if you got a decent watch like a 1960s Seamaster, why go anywhere other than Omega ?
    You got the impression? Meaning you don’t know but are going to opine anyhow. Not like you is it? Omega would charge circa 4 figures for a Bienne restoration on a piece over 50 years old. This would most likely involve a new dial and often a new case to ensure the water resistance warranty. Is this really the most sensible thing to do with a vintage watch, destroy the originality and decimate your bank balance?
    Last edited by Padders; 22nd February 2019 at 20:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    You got the impression? Meaning you don’t know but are going to opine anyhow. Not like you is it? Omega would charge circa 4 figures for a Bienne restoration on a piece over 50 years old. This would most likely involve a new dial and often a new case to ensure the water resistance warranty. Is this really the most sensible thing to do with a vintage watch, destroy the originality and decimate your bank balance?
    Way OTT.

Yes they are more expensive than independents but they have all the correct parts for vintage and the independents don't.

Omega made the watch when it was made 100% in house and therefore you know that they know what they are doing.

The later Omegas which have some ETA or whatever mechanism are safe to put in the hands of an independent and I did refer to that by mentioning it was a 1960s model.

Omega, like Rolex are now more flexible with retaining the originality of older watches.

So I repeat, old 1960s Omegas are better off going to Omega.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    That's beautiful. Elegant and classy.
    Thanks! It’s a joy to wear and has barely been off my wrist since it came back from Brendan

Grand Master
    Way OTT.

Typical Mick generalisation, some watches are better going back to Omega but there are plenty of 60s Omegas that can be properly sorted out by folks like me, or Brendan.

Sorry Mick, but you’re wrong on this one. Most of the cal 601, 613, 552 and 565 Omegas from the early- mid 60s can still be sorted out without sending them to Omega, or even to Omega accredited repairers.

I’m not making this up or talking off the top of my head. If you want to debate this I can back up what I’m saying, I can show you exactly what’s involved in servicing / restoring these watches.

Stick to stuff you understand, you clearly don’t understand vintage Omegas or what’s involved in fixing them.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd February 2019 at 00:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Typical Mick generalisation, some watches are better going back to Omega but there are plenty of 60s Omegas that can be properly sorted out by folks like me, or Brendan.

Sorry Mick, but you’re wrong on this one. Most of the cal 601, 613, 552 and 565 Omegas from the early- mid 60s can still be sorted out without sending them to Omega, or even to Omega accredited repairers.

I’m not making this up or talking off the top of my head. If you want to debate this I can back up what I’m saying, I can show you exactly what’s involved in servicing / restoring these watches.

Stick to stuff you understand, you clearly don’t understand vintage Omegas or what’s involved in fixing them.
    You are in the trade and I am not, so I am not going to argue with you. However there is no way on Gods earth that I would take a 1960s Seamaster to an independent. If you think I am being over cautious or whatever by taking it to Omega, then so be it.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

I always appreciate those who commend my work as any caring independent should and I am most grateful to the OP.
    As you know Paul, I was offered the job of assistant curator at the Omega Museum in Bienne by the then curator Herr Fritz Muff (love the name!). I spent some time there doing a few odd jobs but preferred to carry on watch repairing at the time. The stock of old parts for classic models was stunning but they were not to be released to the public.
    I used to attend an annual private venue in Paris, at the Dassault House where major Swiss watch company representatives exchanged ideas and more, such as ideas for new models, with many free gifts and hand made chocolates. Many classic pieces were bought, sold and exchanged there. Some were watches bought at auction or privately and others were sent by customers for repair which were considered too costly to economically fix, and so many of them ended up in the relevant museums of those companies.
    By all means send your classic watch back to the original maker and be very pleased when you get back a brand new watch under the 'repair or replace at our option' principle.
    Those who advocate such a move will no doubt be delighted at the result.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 23rd February 2019 at 02:06.

Omega Service

You are in the trade and I am not, so I am not going to argue with you. However there is no way on Gods earth that I would take a 1960s Seamaster to an independent. If you think I am being over cautious or whatever by taking it to Omega, then so be it.
    Paul serviced a nineteen sixties Omega for a friend of mine. It runs at around +4 sec/day and he’s very happy with it. He will definitely be sending it back to Paul in the future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Paul serviced a nineteen sixties Omega for a friend of mine. It runs at around +4 sec/day and he’s very happy with it. He will definitely be sending it back to Paul in the future.
    Dave

That is very good and I am pleased that it was a good result. All I am saying is that I would send it to Omega and that is my choice. I just feel more comfortable for it to go back to the company that made it originally.

Regards

Mick

Each have there place and merits. Indy or brand.
    To clarify some facts though, Omega charge £410 which includes crown, all movements parts and glass. Also 2 year guarantee. Back 6 weeks later. Not so bad I think. Certainly not 1000s and no risk of losing originality.
    Looking at the picture of the watch it looks as though the crown is not fitted close enough to the case unless it’s in handset position?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Omega Service

Dave

That is very good and I am pleased that it was a good result. All I am saying is that I would send it to Omega and that is my choice. I just feel more comfortable for it to go back to the company that made it originally.

Regards

Mick

That’s not what you said though is it?

Expressing your opinion is fine Mick, everyone has their own opinions.

Expressing your opinions as unequivocal facts is just wrong though.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 23rd February 2019 at 11:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s not what you said though is it?

Expressing your opinion is fine Mick, everyone has their own opinions.

Expressing your opinions as unequivocal facts is just wrong though.
    Dave

Every statement is an opinion, I have an opinion, you have a different one, that's no big deal.

I said - "So I repeat, old 1960s Omegas are better off going to Omega." I still stand by that. Let's be honest, if the indies and Omega charged the same price, most watches would end up going back to Omega. The main reason to use an Indy is the lower price.

Regards

Mick

Master
    Dave

Every statement is an opinion, I have an opinion, you have a different one, that's no big deal.

I said - "So I repeat, old 1960s Omegas are better off going to Omega." I still stand by that. Let's be honest, if the indies and Omega charged the same price, most watches would end up going back to Omega. The main reason to use an Indy is the lower price.

Regards

Mick
    No. The main reason people use independents like Simon Freese, STS or the esteemed contributers here with an older Omega is to maintain as much originality as possible. Omega will replace parts willy nilly with brand new items very different in look to the originals, not just because they lack patina, they have different logos and use different materials. Is it really that hard to grasp? Like your flat foot or clover crown? Like your tritium hands and dial? Then don’t use Omega.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd February 2019 at 12:51.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Using an independent watch repairer is not just about price. It means you can discuss the work and it's progress with the person actually doing it. If there is a problem it can be addressed within a few days, not waiting another minimum of six weeks.
    Breitling and Omega and others have sent me classic watches to repair for them which means that at this point it is taking much longer and you are paying their prices but the work is still being done by an independent ! This happens in CH too because of long repair times.
    Getting companies like Omega to fit period parts is a struggle. It means much more work for them. The real reason for their repair departments is to encourage brand loyalty. Many run at a loss. Restoring classic watches takes longer than to simply replace the movement and case parts. This requires the most experienced watchmakers who are put to better use repairing their most expensive models and who will not spend their time fixing someone's 50's bumper.
    And of course restricting the supply of spare parts to independents forces the purchase of a new watch or much higher charges for repairs.
    I would be very surprised if many owners of classic watches get them back from the original makers after repairs, looking as they did when they were first purchased.
    Many are offered a replacement watch, take it or leave it.

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 23rd February 2019 at 13:11.

Grand Master
    Horses for courses.

I`ve just turned down a request to service a vintage Speedmaster with the Lemania 5100 movement, owner wanted the day wheel swapping too. I know for a fact that I`ll struggle to get parts for this, and if it needs anything expensive changing I won`t be the best person to send it to, so I advised the owner accordingly. However, the bread and butter 3 handers, with 550 or 600 movements are a different proposition, I`ve a good stock of movement parts for (new and second hand) for these, I can still get crowns, and I can fit a generic crystal or genuine Omega item to suit the owner's preference. Hands can be a problem, but in most cases the owner's happy to keep the originals after a clean up and possibly re-lume if they look grubby. For the 50s Omegas I`ve used generic hands in the past that are virtually identical to those originally fitted.

One day I might just decide the juice isn`t worth the squeeze, it's certainly getting harder to source parts and that takes the pleasure out of this work. Unless the Cousins action succeeds Swatch Group will win in the end, folks like me will have to call it a day...........but we're a long way away from that day yet.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th February 2019 at 16:41.

Dave

Regards

Mick
    Regardless of the above repairers comments, I understand that Omega regularly refused older watches, and in the UK they frequently recommended sending older watches to STS, who might be able to help - so I’m not sure where you are actually sending, or recommending sending, your 60’s Omegas to.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Regardless of the above repairers comments, I understand that Omega regularly refused older watches, and in the UK they frequently recommended sending older watches to STS, who might be able to help - so I’m not sure where you are actually sending, or recommending sending, your 60’s Omegas to.
    I only have one Omega and that is a 1986 Constellation and I hardly ever wear it. What I said was that a 1960's Seamaster deserves to go back to Omega. My ex boss sent his Seamaster back just before Christmas and it was returned in a beautiful condition. So they are still accepting them.

Banned
    Here is an older thread which may be of some interest :

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t