closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HomePod - Any owners recommend?

Craftsman

HomePod - Any owners recommend?

Hi all

I’m preparing to make the ultimate sacrifice...

Watching my 10m/o daughter learning to stand, cruising round the furniture is simultaneously the most heartwarming and scary thing to witness.

So now I’m genuinely concerned for the safety of both my daughter AND my Beolab 6000’s...

I’m thinking of putting the B&O system in storage until we move house and id like something convenient to replace it. My wife and I would often AirPlay to an Airport Express connected to the Beosound 4 unit and she would like to continue to do so.

I’m thinking about getting the HomePod to keep in the living room and then when we move it can reside in the kitchen or dining room.

Is anyone on here a HomePod owner who can offer some pros/cons of this unit? I just had a brief demo in Curry’s and was pleasantly surprised by the audio quality, and I’ve read that the room adapting EQ tech is pretty spot on. Any further tips or advice appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It is a good thing. But I would advise only to buy it if you are an Apple Music subscriber or have an extensive iTunes library. You also definitely need at the very least to own an iPhone. It sounds better than my Sonos play 1 and at quieter volumes better than a play 5 even.

However, if audio quality is your own then Naim products are amazing. I have a Naim Muso now and it is head and shoulder above the competition.

The HomePod is the best sounding smart speaker though. Looks good too.

Master
    I know it's not what you're asking but as mentioned I'd only consider a HomePod if you're entirely wedded to the Apple Music ecosystem. If you use other stuff (e.g. Spotify, Amazon Music) I'd consider something a bit more platform agnostic like a Sonos.

Journeyman
    Take a look at the Minirig systems. They are designed and manufactured in the UK. Very pleased with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I opted for Sonos but you could also look at the Google Home Max. You won't find many people recommending the HomePod.

Master
    I'm a pretty big Apple fan in general yet bought sonos instead, the homepod does have a slight edge in sound compared to the sonos one but everything else pointed to sonos.

Craftsman
    It's not a proper answer to your question, but it's fairly obvious you want something that sounds top notch but is relatively compact. If a HomePod is comparable to Sonos, I'd go a step further and look at something like a Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin. They sound fantastic and work really well with AirPlay & Apple Music etc. They also have Bluetooth so work fine with other stuff.

I've never understood the universal love for Sonos apart from their multi-unit connectivity around the house. They sound really mediocre to my ears. For balance, we do also actually have a Play:5 in the kitchen (long story) and it sounds (relatively) naff. But after all of that, I haven't listened to a HomePod

Quote Originally Posted by slever View Post
    Take a look at the Minirig systems. They are designed and manufactured in the UK. Very pleased with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Always read great things about these.

They offer a 2.1 package which is tempting for the home office setup... a nice alternative to your typical computer desk speakers. Can they simply be left 'on charge'?

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input here all.

For me the reason for giving the HomePod serious consideration was the sound quality, the design and the AirPlay.

I'm also an Apple fan, but actually I use Spotify and not Apple Music (for streaming anyway) so it probably makes sense to explore the other options. Siri isn't a big draw for me in the HomePod OR on my iPhone for that matter... in fact I only ever use Siri to set timers while cooking...

I didn't realise B&W were still making a Zeppelin! Shows how out of touch I am with the industry I used to work in!

Craftsman

HomePod - Any owners recommend?

So I’ve taken the plunge on the HomePod. The various Apple devices we have around the home, plus a free 6 months of Apple Music courtesy of EE, AND John Lewis marching Currys’ £40 discount on the white model made the whole thing a bit more of a clearer option.

More than anything, it’s nice having my own music back on in the living room again. As mentioned before, my B&O system is being put into storage, but actually due to a lack of space to set it up (without rebuilding the living room) the main Beosound 4 unit has been unplugged for the best part of two months, after the little one came *this close* to toppling it over.

Set it up last night as the little one was going to bed, so christened it this morning with Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis and The Search For Everything by John Mayer.

Suddenly, the ability to say “Hey Siri, play xyz” is the most convenient thing in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk