closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SIHH 2019: Vacheron introduces a watch with 65 days(!) power reserve

SIHH 2019: Vacheron introduces a watch with 65 days(!) power reserve

We lament the lack of innovation, but Vacheron have come out with a blinder - a watch with 65 days power reserve. Well actually this perpetual calendar has 2 oscillators - one high-ish beat with 4 days reserve for improved accuracy and the other a low 2Hz for when you do not wear the watch which has a massive 65 days reserve. This is rather useful for a perpetual calendar and should mean you do not have the massive pains of resetting the damn thing every time it stops (a bit of an issue on a manual wind watch).

It's not necessarily the prettiest watch Vacheron has come out with, but it's a genuinely interesting idea that hopefully filters down to more affordable watches over the coming years. This is available for over $200k sadly.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/va...ar-introducing

What a great remedy! That is a ridiculously hefty power reserve. Anyone else done similar before?

It's a shame most of the parts look like 3D printed prototype components to me though.

Craftsman
    I think its a very interesting / useful concept. Presumably when running at 1.2hz the time would still need to be adjusted when you start wearing the watch at 5hz but date would be correct.
    Last edited by Gerald Genta; 14th January 2019 at 11:35.

Apprentice
    Good idea, hopefully this tech will filter down to affordable watches. I love the idea of having a perpetual but I’d have to reset it every 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    What a great remedy! That is a ridiculously hefty power reserve. Anyone else done similar before?

It's a shame most of the parts look like 3D printed prototype components to me though.
    I think the Hublot Mp-05 Ferrari (? Unsure of exact name) holds the current record for longest power reserve at 50days. I think VC is a much more attractive proposition though!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Edit - GG points out one answer. Horrible looking watch that Hublot and to wind it requires a special tool! It does make me think how long you need to wind the Vacheron!

One of Greubel Forsey's 'grander' missions is to create a watch with a 6 month power reserve. A few of their watch releases are all about slowly building to that vision - either to miniaturise or to trial new materials.

This is in many ways a slight 'cheat' as the extreme low-beat means that accuracy takes a hit, but it's an elegant solution for when the watch is not being worn and accuracy is not a priority.

I do agree on the look - maybe this is a bit of a prototype and I hope the final watch is better finished.
    Last edited by crazyp; 14th January 2019 at 11:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It's not necessarily the prettiest watch Vacheron has come out with, but it's a genuinely interesting idea that hopefully filters down to more affordable watches over the coming years
    Let’s hope it does filter down as sounds like a great innovation. I am surprised they didn’t try and put the movement it in something a bit prettier

Clever, clever stuff without a doubt; but the "cleverness" must have run out when it came to making a legible dial. It looks awful...shame.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I think the Hublot Mp-05 Ferrari (? Unsure of exact name) holds the current record for longest power reserve at 50days. I think VC is a much more attractive proposition though!
    Edit - GG points out one answer. Horrible looking watch that Hublot and to wind it requires a special tool! It does make me think how long you need to wind the Vacheron!

One of Greubel Forsey's 'grander' missions is to create a watch with a 6 month power reserve. A few of their watch releases are all about slowly building to that vision - either to miniaturise or to trial new materials.

This is in many ways a slight 'cheat' as the extreme low-beat means that accuracy takes a hit, but it's an elegant solution for when the watch is not being worn and accuracy is not a priority.

I do agree on the look - maybe this is a bit of a prototype and I hope the final watch is better finished.
    Thank you both for this. That Hublot is indeed... quite something!

Lange did a watch with a 31 day power reserve that requires a "key" to wind. It's quite a puck.

Craftsman
    The pre-SIHH adverts had me worried that a smart hybrid watch was coming due to the 65 days and them taking shots at the smart watch market, Part of me was thinking it might just be a 65 day watch.

"The watch has a Patent-pending system for transitioning between the two frequencies while still maintaining exact timekeeping & also the Geneva Seal." Suggesting that it should still be highly accurate

It is not Vacheron's best looking watch but reading through the blogs as a new Calibre it really is something, hopefully they have it in the london boutique so i can view it with their watchmaker.

Great complication - implemented in a lamentably grotesque design sadly.

Master
    Great complication but, for that price, you could hire someone at 10 quid an hour to walk the watch for you for a couple of hours each day for the next 30 yrs.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Great complication but, for that price, you could hire someone at 10 quid an hour to walk the watch for you for a couple of hours each day for the next 30 yrs.
    haha a chance for local dog walkers to diversify their income streams! I would like to see that persons face when you ask them to kindly walk your watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not keen on the looks of it but hopefully in a few years it'll filter down to more modest budgets.

Craftsman
    These look so much better! The Manual winding being the pick of the bunch.

Big fan of the Overseas collection so the new Overseas Tourbillon is now a Grail watch for me.

Apprentice
    That's remarkable. I love to see innovation like this rather than just styles to keep up with the trends. Superb. Makes AP look ridiculous with their trashy new line

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I think the main lineup look very smart - nice blue that isn’t overwrought. The big power reserve watch is quite something to think about... and looks the part in a geeky kind of way.

Very impressive

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nice long piece full of technical details and photos: http://watchesbysjx.com/2019/01/vach...perpetual.html

Despite looks that only a mother could like, it is still my watch of the show. Simply brilliant.

Craftsman
    Is it just me or did blue just make the Fiftysix line look amazing:

I didn't really have much love for the Fiftysix before this year but the complete calendar is just a joy IMHO. In fact, I'm even starting to quite like the silver complete calendar from last year too - maybe a bit of discount could mean it becomes my only watch after a sale of a piece or two. I was seriously considering an Overseas in blue and with this I'm just smitten. It gives me Patek 5146G vibes but being more accessible in steel.

Maybe people will feel the same way in a year about Code 11.59 (Probably not!).
    Last edited by mjgerrard; 17th January 2019 at 16:49. Reason: Image not updating

That's lovely. I am a big fan of triple dates, especially when the numbers are all written rather than 1.3.5.7 etc.!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Nice long piece full of technical details and photos: http://watchesbysjx.com/2019/01/vach...perpetual.html
    This technical drawings are lovely! Impressed with this watch, VC seem to have struck a sweet chord.

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    This technical drawings are lovely! Impressed with this watch, VC seem to have struck a sweet chord.
    You put a down payment on this 200k bad boy?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post

So the boutique's now have the prototypes in and the open case back on the automatic elevates the watch to another level.

I went in set on the manual wind due to its elegance & being Ultra Thin but after seeing the automatic I think I've changed my mind!

Also the blue on the watches needs to be seen in real life as the online pictures don't do it justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post

That two-hander is absolutely gorgeous.

Craftsman
    genuinely interesting idea that hopefully filters down to more affordable watches over the coming years.
    [/IMG]
    I have little doubt that theres already a factory in china trying to make them for 200 quid a pop!

Journeyman
    I'm honing in on the 56 but in gold. Blue dial is fantastic on steel, really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Is it just me or did blue just make the Fiftysix line look amazing:

I didn't really have much love for the Fiftysix before this year but the complete calendar is just a joy IMHO. In fact, I'm even starting to quite like the silver complete calendar from last year too - maybe a bit of discount could mean it becomes my only watch after a sale of a piece or two. I was seriously considering an Overseas in blue and with this I'm just smitten. It gives me Patek 5146G vibes but being more accessible in steel.

Maybe people will feel the same way in a year about Code 11.59 (Probably not!).