closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Qatar Airways

Master

Qatar Airways

Anyone ever flown in Qatar economy class? Now they fly out of Cardiff I am thinking about Goa in November... Business class is too expensive and if it's anything like Ryanair or Easyjet working-class I couldn't stand a long haul flight.

Pleased to hear
    Rob

Along with Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways (A380) and EVA Air it's amongst the best Economy classes. Will be nothing like Ryanair lol!

Try and avoid the A340 or Dreamliner if you can as they are a bit more cramped. Best is always A380 or A350 - definitely won't be an A380 from Cardiff

Flew with them for the first time last May to the Maldives and was very impressed with the planes and the service. In my opinion better than Emirates or Etihad. We flew the A380 on the Lon - Doha route and got exit row seats on the economy cabin on the upper deck, which is at the back and has about 10 rows in a 2-4-2 configuration. Who needs business! Would definitely fly with them again.

I flew to Singapore via Doha business class and couldn’t fault it though if I was spending my own money (and avois) I would fly premium economy if possible.
    For me it’s about the hours sat in the same seat and would rather take longer and break the journey if possible.

Qatar are a notch above BA though I don’t know how they compare in economy.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good airline, nowt wrong with their economy seats.

mike

Craftsman
    I’ve been std economy with them long haul to Thailand, I’m not small and it was fine for me.

Going out to goa in March but with TUI Dreamliner premium club from Birmingham. It was only another £300 for the 2 of us.

Don’t forget yer visa if ya need it. Full guide here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...cc/mobilebasic

Regards. V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found the food wasn't up to much. Not a massive issue but when it's the only thing you look forward to on a 16hr flight it's disappointing.

Qatar Airways

They fly the 787 Dreamliner between Cardiff and Doha, a plane I universally avoid not matter who flys it, unless it’s particularly cheap fare.

It was designed to be 8 abreast, but every airline except Japan Airlines has squeezed 9 abreast, which makes it an uncomfortable and tight squeeze and particularly bad if it’s a red eye.

Not just me either who thinks this, just read some reviews on the internet.

That said, I’m flying the Dreamliner to Vietnam on Wednesday (China Southern), but only doing it as it was half the cost of the next cheapest airline.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 12th January 2019 at 18:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    They fly the 787 Dreamliner between Cardiff and Doha, a plane I universally avoid not matter who flys it, unless it’s particularly cheap fare.

It was designed to be 8 abreast, but every airline except Japan Airlines has squeezed 9 abreast, which makes it an uncomfortable and tight squeeze and particularly bad if it’s a red eye.

I was about to post exactly this but you've saved me the trouble of doing so. In this seat configuration it's an abysmal aircraft to fly on & I refuse to do so.

That said, I’m flying the Dreamliner to Vietnam on Wednesday (China Southern), but only doing it as it was half the cost of the next cheapest airline.
    Sadly had to endure this out to the Caribbean in November last year - really poor layout which feels cramped.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

State subsidised carrier - taking over lots of routes due to undercutting.

They dont deserve the custom.

Eventually Trump and maybe some others will sort them out.

Same with Etihed

I flew with them LHR to Bkk a couple of years ago.

That was on the A380 though, on all 4 legs...comfy enough in economy on the A380.............Im not so sure about the dreamliner or 777 though.

I go twice a year, with Thai Airways....but tried Qatar to see what they were like.

I prefer Thai though, as its a direct fllight and they use the A380 (on the flight times I take).

Nothing wrong with Qatar in economy though....Better than a fair few other carriers out there!

Master
    Flew with them out of Cardiff to Thailand in November just gone. Had no issue with the seating at all, but then my kids are only 10 and 7 and don’t take up a lot of room.
    The flight is pretty quiet though, so if you are able to shift to a quieter aisle you will have more room.
    Coming back from Doha to Cardiff it was really quiet on the flight and almost everyone on board had a row of three to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Flew with them out of Cardiff to Thailand in November just gone. Had no issue with the seating at all, but then my kids are only 10 and 7 and don’t take up a lot of room.
    The flight is pretty quiet though, so if you are able to shift to a quieter aisle you will have more room.
    Coming back from Doha to Cardiff it was really quiet on the flight and almost everyone on board had a row of three to themselves.
    Thats both good and bad!

Good , in that you have a row of seats to yourself....Though , bad, in that, if its always that quiet a flight, they may well drop it?!

Master
    Have used Qatar to Australia, much prefer them to Emirates, and on the A380, upstairs rear economy section is excellent

Master
    I fly Qatar long haul at least twice a month. In econ. Best overall service per ££ of any airline - and by a long margin too.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I fly Qatar long haul at least twice a month. In econ. Best overall service per ££ of any airline - and by a long margin too.
    They flout the ‘open skies’ agreement - that’s why.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    How so?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    You get BA tier points with Qatar so they are a decent option for me now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Qatar get me where I want to go, when I want to, providing a quality service, with the youngest fleet in the skies, and their staff are well trained. Plus, cheap fares and a typical long haul flight via Doha gets me twice BA tier points - I achieved BA Gold in 3 months flying Qatar econ, and am on plan for the Concorde card this year flying econ only.

Anything else is pointless moral politicking and an argument my employer has no interest in as price/flexibility matters. Me neither. I am only one of millions of flying passengers, so happy to let everyone else get stuck into ‘open skies agreements’.

Craftsman
    380 is the best plane by far .
    Qatar economy is as good as it gets .
    Nothing like uk budget airlines ...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Flown them in business and they are one of the best, hopefully they leave oneworld and move over to star alliance!

That said I've got a few friends that use that fly economy with them a lot & really enjoy it compared to the carriers from the UAE

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've just been semi-involuntarily re-routed with Qatar on a flight to the Middle East and I'm writing this from the lounge in Doha. First time on the airline and I found it rather mediocre; they managed less of a trolley service on a six-hour flight than Swiss manage on a typical four-hour flight within Europe and I wasn't impressed with the food.

I've never been that keen on any of the Gulf airlines for long haul as it just means that you get two flights of equal length, neither of which you can get a proper sleep on. I'd rather connect to ZRH/FRA/MUC/VIE and take a proper long-haul flight.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Thats both good and bad!

Good , in that you have a row of seats to yourself....Though , bad, in that, if its always that quiet a flight, they may well drop it?!
    Yeah I know. The convenience of flying from Cardiff is great. I would be very disappointed if they pulled out due to lack of bookings.

Qatar Airways is fine, I think, which is good - since the blockade I've had little choice. Seats are good enough, the food is poor. Drinks flow freely, and the entertainment is good. Sit near the back - QA seem to fill up form the front, so you'll have a better chance of being able to spred yourself about if you go at the back of the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Qatar Airways is fine, I think, which is good - since the blockade I've had little choice. Seats are good enough, the food is poor. Drinks flow freely, and the entertainment is good. Sit near the back - QA seem to fill up form the front, so you'll have a better chance of being able to spred yourself about if you go at the back of the plane.
    The blockade??
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    The blockade??
    Qatar can’t deal with the rest of the Middle East except Kuwait I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the Flight24 radar app, filter on Qatar flights and you’ll see that sometimes the South America and North African flights go via Turkey and around the Med adding around 3 hours onto the journey, because the can’t fly over Saudi. Similar detour for Nairobi and other mid-African citites except detour is around the south

Similar to watching an El Al flight to Bangkok which has to follow a strip of sea between Egypt and Saudi so it’s not in either countries airspace before it gets past Yemen and can turn left.

Another interesting one is China Airlines and Eva (both Taiwan) who are banned from using Chinese airspace and therefore have to make a couple of hour detour to hit Russian airspace while avoiding China completely

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have flown Eco and Business with Qatar great airline. The business lounge in Doha is fantastic

If you have the Flight24 radar app, filter on Qatar flights and you’ll see that sometimes the South America and North African flights go via Turkey and around the Med adding around 3 hours onto the journey, because the can’t fly over Saudi. Similar detour for Nairobi and other mid-African citites except detour is around the south

Similar to watching an El Al flight to Bangkok which has to follow a strip of sea between Egypt and Saudi so it’s not in either countries airspace before it gets past Yemen and can turn left.

Another interesting one is China Airlines and Eva (both Taiwan) who are banned from using Chinese airspace and therefore have to make a couple of hour detour to hit Russian airspace while avoiding China completely
    Ah right, thanks. Never knew any of that.

What a palaver!
    Cheers,
    Neil.