closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: homage watches - how do you view them ?

Banned

homage watches - how do you view them ?

Afternoon guys ,

I’ve recently been looking more and more at homage watches ( not fakes or replicas ) . Especially I’m liking the dive watch variety , I’ve looked at a few brands like steinhart and squale . Another is Christopher ward .

What’s the general consensus about these watches . The appeal to me is wanting a specific looking watch in my collection but not wanting to spend 5k plus to have it . Not saying I can’t afford it but not wanting to lay out that type of money and wanting a varied collection .

I’ve noticed that there is a lot of respect for certain homage watches and even a cult following for them . Some vintage looking homage steinhart watches for example are commanding a premium .

I’m sure there’s a few here that own them and others that are not into them because they look like certain watches

Interested to hear your views ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The forum has a search function,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with them. Our host has offered quite a few on his website, like the Fifty Fathoms homage, complete with A.S. Schild movement. Closer to the original than that is impossible. Still, it was advertised as a homage. As long as you're not pretending / faking that it's the real one, there's nothing wrong with that.

Take the Petersen Engineering Bentley as an example.

Menno

Just to be clear, by 'homage' do we mean:

(a) knockoffs of watches currently in production or
    (b) homages to (usually vintage) watches no longer in production?

I'm assuming the OP is referring to knockoffs.

Since there's little danger of this thread producing discussion not seen dozens of times before, can I ask this:

One of the first Timefactors was the Dreadnaught, and if I've understood correctly, our host has no intention of reissuing this original design. If that is indeed the case, how long would be an appropriate stretch of time before some other microbrand could reasonably produce a lovingly exact homage to it?

I find my eyes normally do the business.

Mitch

homage watches - how do you view them ?

As with all things, there is a spectrum. When produced with passion and attention to detail they can be quite excellent, examples would be the newly released Newmark 6BB , and the Smiths 29A I used to own.

A lot are not worth it, and this 2010 post has a comment from Kiki Picasso that remains to me the definitive summary, and generalises beyond the dive class.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...outique-divers

Servicing costs can be significant for watches in the mid-price range, which is why I’m glad by 6BB is quartz (with a little bit of mechanical)

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 30th January 2019 at 16:07.

There are various forms of homages.

Here is the original DW-5900 G Shock from 1994.

An homage to the watch has been issued this year, different functionality but very close in looks.

Then you get an homage that is done by some other company with various levels of comparability with the original, may be made concurrently with the watch it is a 'homage' to.

I only have one of these, it matches the original in nearly every way from its exact measurements, down to the 'easy link' clasp, it functions slightly differently around the date and GMT functions.

So I suppose the conversation may differ around the type of homage you are referring to.

Mitch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    There are various forms of homages.

Here is the original DW-5900 G Shock from 1994.

An homage to the watch has been issued this year, different functionality but very close in looks.

Then you get an homage that is done by some other company with various levels of comparability with the original, may be made concurrently with the watch it is a 'homage' to.

I only have one of these, it matches the original in nearly every way from its exact measurements, down to the 'easy link' clasp, it functions slightly differently around the date and GMT functions.

So I suppose the conversation may differ around the type of homage you are referring to.

Mitch
    I guess the homage I’m referring too is the gmt watch you posted and as an earlier post referred to them as knockoffs , if I’ve interpreted that correctly

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post

... What’s the general consensus about these watches . The appeal to me is wanting a specific looking watch in my collection but not wanting to spend 5k plus to have it . Not saying I can’t afford it but not wanting to lay out that type of money and wanting a varied collection ...

There's no general consensus, views range from loving them to loathing them.

Personally, for exactly the reason you gave (among others), I love them. I have two 'top end' ones in a Ginault and an NTH. Both, offer great takes on classic designs with absolutely superb quality at their price points.