closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to close this window?

How to close this window?

Any ideas? This window is in our garage, seems to lead into the house where the built in fridge is now placed. Can't access it to push it closed from the inside, there's a catch at the top but I can't get enough leverage to close it so the latch will keep it closed. It's letting a cold draught in constantly, and driving me bloody mad.

Shed load of silicone? Perhaps a fillet along the top first?
    Suction cup might pull it from the outside ?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Probably the space that your fridge occupies was once the larder.

Temp fix: Nail a piece of plywood to the window frame, to cover window entirely. £Cheap!

Perm fix: Pull window and frame out and brick up.

Try some very strong Duct tape attached to the top of the glass and pull,see if you can move the window !

If this wont work ( It probably wont as the window looks old and is probably got very stiff) I think you will find that all the way around where the glass fits to the frame there is putty. Try fitting a small screw into the putty,NOT next to the glass as you will crack it! you need to be up against or into the outside frame. 20mm length should do it

Fit these into 3 places one at the top in the middle, one near the top on the left hand side and one near the top on the right, then get some string or wire attach on to the exposed screw heads and link up in a triangle shape and pull evenly !

If you see the screws start to move or come out stop and reposition. this is the only way I can see that you maybe able to do this, if this doesnt work then its cut round all the putty with a knife and small chisel and remove the glass , shut the latch and replace glass

1) Fill gaps with expanding foam.
    2) Let dry over 24 hours.
    3) Trim back with sharp knife.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Crittall style window, you might not notice much difference if you do manage to shut if I'm honest.
    If this has the locking mechanism attached to the opener on the head, I'd loop some wire around it, pull it shut and pull the wire out.

Suction cup nearly worked, but the latch just will not close. Think boarding it up may be the only option.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If not worried about aesthetics, use a cross brace across the frame with a screw either side into the window to pull it shut, then just silicone the joint.

Tried using screws into the frame, they just pulled out.
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    If not worried about aesthetics, use a cross brace across the frame with a screw either side into the window to pull it shut, then just silicone the joint.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Unless it's rotten twinscrew should hold?, just put them either side of the glass outer side of putty.

Master
    What about some clear Perspex cut to size put 4 screw holes in it(one in each corner)bead of clear silicon around the edge and screw if over the outside

I'd want to know what has gotten into the interior through the gap and is now currently lurking behind your built-in fridge before closing the window up. As has been said, it looks like a Crittal frame surrounding the georgian-wired pane. If I were in your shoes, I would set-to with a knackered chisel or wide screwdriver to remove the putty around the glass, lever out the glass pane then use the now handy gap to work at the frame, aiming to free it up so it would close. Once closed and fixed shut, assuming it does close, it would be a simple matter to insert more glass or a solid panel. If it is beyond closing properly, you could remove the whole inner frame and knock-up an insert panel, made with a wider outer panel and a smaller inner panel to slot into the window opening and provide a 'flange', through which you could screw the new insert into the existing timber frame. If you were really clever, you could sandwich a piece of rigid insulation between two sheets of plywood and create something that might, just might, improve the thermal capabilities of this part of the wall whilst also cutting down the draft.

Board it, fill any gaps and paint over it. Job done.

If you are worried about aesthetics put a hanging flowers pot in front of it or something.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    It looks like it's bent out of shape, so probably won't ever be able to close it properly.

Like others have said, I'd fill the gap with expanding foam, then cover the whole window with insulation and board it, or if you feel really cleaver, brick it up, it would be difficult and would look much better than a painted board.

Squeeze in a load of silicon filler then push it shut from the other side with a long stick.

Was the kitchen fitted before you bought the house?

Bad idea to not brick that up.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........