closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 250k to invest for two years

250k to invest for two years

Any suggestions or IFA recommendations as to where to invest with the highest interest and returns.

Craftsman
    Edit, deleted: Doh - just read the title. You only want to invest for 2 years.
    Last edited by Monkey Queen; 13th January 2019 at 15:45.

Journeyman
    standalone - ought to be cash based and a case of obtaining the best rates possible via a quick web search.
    be mindful of fscs limits.

other investments only worth cosideration if additional tax advantages e.g. pension so depends on your age stage of life etc.

for anything other than the cash route get some proper advice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Any suggestions or IFA recommendations as to where to invest with the highest interest and returns.
    Highest interest normally incurs highest risk. How safe do you want it to be?

Master
    For two years, you’re taking quite a risk investing other than cash deposit - assuming you want to guarantee you have at least £250,000 then!

Craftsman
    Where are you based? I can recommend a great IFA / wealth manager, but they are Midlands based.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    £250k of premium bonds...

A small chance of making profit, but at least you won't lose any money.

The stock market is due a massive correction IMHO and who knows what is going to happen post Brexit ?

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    £250k of premium bonds...

A small chance of making profit, but at least you won't lose any money.

The stock market is due a massive correction IMHO and who knows what is going to happen post Brexit ?

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
    Premium bonds limited to £50k per person unfortunately. Although NS&I do have Income Bonds with a limit of £1m but only 1.15% gross.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Try asking elsewhere and undertaking your own proper dd if you have that to invest.

Master
    As many Submariners/Hulks/Daytonas as you can order then sit tight on them for a couple of years.

Craftsman
    'Marcus' from Goldman Sachs pays 1.5% AER gross.
    Max deposit is £250k.
    Instant access.

https://www.marcus.co.uk/uk/en/savin...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yep, but you've blown your £85k FSCS protection to the wall.

Master
    At two years you are too close to the withdrawal date to risk putting money into risk assets like shares or property. A term deposit with enough spread across banks to ensure you can take full advantage of any deposit insurance schemes would likely be best, or short-dated gilts.

Then again, it depends what you need it for in 2 years - if you're planning to out it into risk assets then, or use for retirement, you could afford to take some risk now.

Alternatively, have a look, or get someone with expertise to have a look, at zero dividend prefs from investment trusts. There are (or were) tax advantages to these since returns should be capital gains rather than income and therefore concessionally taxed. If you normally pay, say, 40% tax, then the ability to pay no tax increases effective gross returns by 67%, for the same net return.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    As many Submariners/Hulks/Daytonas as you can order then sit tight on them for a couple of years.
    This without a doubt 5 % + a year. Conservative

Just need to sort safe storage

Master
    Split it into 3 bonds for two years or two bonds if joint names are appropriate.

B

Craftsman
    Has anyone suggested the more obscure investments like gold and gems? Prices will always go up, but might take you a while to release your cash if you need it, but over 2 years, I think you'd be very pleasantly surprised, especially if you bought them overseas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Split it into 3 bonds for two years or two bonds if joint names are appropriate.

B

Totally agree. You should get around 2% gross on two year deposits, not exciting but rock solid at a time when I wouldn't be inclined to put capital at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    This without a doubt 5 % + a year. Conservative

Just need to sort safe storage
    Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post

But you have to spend £200k on depreciating stock so that you then have the right to buy £50k of the desirable stock!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nothing back from the OP? Daft question.

Have a look at property backed peer to peer lending. 6%+ easily achievable with LTV of less than 70% and all loans due to be paid back within 12 months. Some go a little over schedule but seen nothing to worry about. They will tell you, quite rightly, that your capital is at risk, but with £250k you're well placed to spread what I believe is a fairly limited risk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Has anyone suggested the more obscure investments like gold and gems? Prices will always go up, but might take you a while to release your cash if you need it, but over 2 years, I think you'd be very pleasantly surprised, especially if you bought them overseas.
    Gold is a pretty liquid commodity with slim spreads but gems? Can you elaborate?

Good luck getting 36 Hulks at RRP to invest in lol. I can just picture the conversation with the AD now l

Craftsman

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93669]TZ-UK mobile app[/url

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    This is absolutely wrong . Especially for gems .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    This is absolutely wrong . Especially for gems .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I too have concerns hence my post above asking for elaboration...

I wouldn’t recommend gold in this case, the swings either way can be quite large. Whilst it is possible it could be entering into another bull market with lots of instabilities in the world the negative dips which can occur at any time would be a danger to your capital in that time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Nothing back from the OP? Daft question.
    In that case, you've asked a few in your time.

Some interesting options to think over. I will take advice from an IFA but the peer to peer lending is interesting. A good spread of investments sounds best

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I too have concerns hence my post above asking for elaboration...
    One of the big grey sellers of watches who also sell a lot of jewellery told me a few years ago he lent 100k against a Graff ring which was originally purchased for 850k. He is no mug.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Some interesting options to think over. I will take advice from an IFA but the peer to peer lending is interesting. A good spread of investments sounds best
    If you want an opinion on the various peer to peer options, (not a professional one though!) feel free to pm me. I've used about half a dozen companies and while no negative experiences, some will be more suitable than others depending on circumstances. In my experience IFA's are unlikely to recommend them. Whether that is because there isn't anything in it for them is open to interpretation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    If you want an opinion on the various peer to peer options, (not a professional one though!) feel free to pm me. I've used about half a dozen companies and while no negative experiences, some will be more suitable than others depending on circumstances. In my experience IFA's are unlikely to recommend them. Whether that is because there isn't anything in it for them is open to interpretation.
    If an IFA uses them they actually get paid very well indeed. A lot won’t recommend them due to the risks involved - so far the majority of schemes have done well but if and when a recession kicks in this sector could be a big casualty. As long as people understand the risks though then they have a place.

Master
    Buy a house that needs renovation, do it up sell it and repeat

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    That’s worked well for the last 20 years in a booming market but you’d need balls of steel to try it now - you’re essentially placing a bet on the Brexit negotiations going really really well, while hoping to make more profit than you spend in insanely high stamp duty, plus estate agent and legal fees. It might work in the Netherlands or some very specific parts of the country but it wouldn’t be my first choice and at best it’s a ton of work.

Housing market outlook worst 'for 20 years':
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46891187
    Last edited by Itsguy; 17th January 2019 at 09:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    If an IFA uses them they actually get paid very well indeed. A lot won’t recommend them due to the risks involved - so far the majority of schemes have done well but if and when a recession kicks in this sector could be a big casualty. As long as people understand the risks though then they have a place.
    Didn't know that. Do you know how well?

You make a valid point about recession, one that applies to most other options unfortunately -and more so in my opinion. The only peer to peer company that was around for the fall out after 2008 was Zopa I think. That isn't a platform I'd suggest might be appropriate for this because loans are unsecured, mainly longer term and to individuals - but I don't believe investors were disadvantaged as a result of the downturn.
    Last edited by Jdh1; 17th January 2019 at 17:07.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    That may work in some sectors of the housing market (good luck finding them at the moment), but almost certainly not in the £250k price range since every man and his dog thinks Homes Under The Hammer is a financial advice programme.