closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The obligatory new car thread

Craftsman

The obligatory new car thread

So the time has come to start thinking about selling my B8 RS4, I absolutely love the car and its got almost every extra from new you could think of but with increased mileage at work and a baby on the way I feel we should get some thing more practical as lets be honest the RS4 is anything but that. I also own the car outright now and my plan from the sale is to put the money in to the property market and continue to grow my BTL portfolio.

This means I will be on the look out for a good PCP deal on something along the lines of a SQ5, X5 40d/M50d, Cayenne diesel etc.

I will probably PCP my next couple of cars and then in a few years go back to the normal car loan route but at the moment my focus is really investing money rather than paying loans off on a car which is depreciating.

There is a few petrol heads on here so I am looking for advice, I think the above cars can all be bought reasonably on a PCP deal (with a few thousand down), relatively cheap to run in comparison to what I pay now and still have a bit of power and luxury. My head is saying the SQ5 as it works out the cheapest per month, lowest insurance and probably the quickest one however the only thing putting me off is the looks, most of the time I find it hard to spot the difference between a normal S-Line and an SQ5 until you see the quad exhausts at the back, however I can overlook that and think of the value for money.

Secondly is the X5 or Cayenne, is the M50d worth paying more for over the 40d?
    I love the look of these and my feeling is the M50d will keep its value much better so on a PCP could be a good option for future value?
    The Cayenne again is a lovely car, I would probably have to go for the 3.0d rather than 4.2 but my last car was a 911 and I love the build quality on a Porsche and would happily step back in side one long term.

Another option is the Range Rover Sport or Vogue which I looked at last year however I cant get the reliability issues out my head. We will probably be driving to Spain at least once in the next 12-18 months and last thing I was is a break down with a young baby in the car!

What are your thoughts?
    It is tempting to go for an RS6 or something equally as crazy but I would like a break from high running costs while I put money into other projects for the next few years.

I tried a new M50D last year, it is possibly the worst car I have ever driven, tracks, bangs, bumps and I am sure it is nowhere near as fast as they claim.

Master
    I have an SQ5 and previously owned an X5 35d that I put over 100k miles on. Some thoughts;

SQ5 - quad exhausts are fake!. It's actually a twin exhaust hidden under the bumper on the drivers side. I went down this route as it is noticeably smaller than the X5 / cayenne (which I wanted) but still fine for a family. Interior is top notch as is the tech and it's a decent drivers car that still manages to put a smile on your face. I'd say it isn't quite as luxurious as the larger X5, for instance no electronic adjustment on the steering wheel, but hardly a big deal. I also like the fact that it has very subtle styling as it means you don't have the whole world trying to push you into a race and just blend in with other Q5s

X5 - I owned the twin turbo diesel for over 100k miles and have also driven the 50d plenty of times. Totally different car to the SQ5 for me. It's very capable at transporting a family and copious luggage from A to B in luxury, BUT it lacks soul. Regardless of the performance stats, I just don't find any of the X5 diesels to engage you emotionally in the driving experience. I bought the X5 after I had a 650 convertible and whilst I never tired of firing up the V8 on the 650, I never warmed to the X5 diesel and a journey went from being an event to an efficient means of getting from one place to the next. The 50d is obviously quicker, but had the same diesel issue for me of being a soul-less driving experience.

I test drove a LOT of cars before deciding on the SQ5, including;

GLC 43 - Nice car but I came away puzzled as to how magazines rated it higher than the SQ5 and the interior of the SQ5 is far nicer. The GLC63 would be nice though and have not driven that yet.
    Macan GT - best drivers small SUV out there and rock solid residuals. Interior was nice but felt a bit dated. It's also the same width as the X5 and I wanted something narrower to suit where I now drive and park
    F Pace supercharged - again same width as X5. Does everything fine but build quality was dubious and it just didn't stand out to me against the competition
    Range Rover Sport - bit big and silly money by the time you have a decent engine and spec
    S6 Avant - love the engine, the understated looks, sensible running costs and some sensational deals around for 12 month old cars. Strong contender, but decided to stick with a SUV for now.

You've got some real decisions to make. The SQ5 is the smallest of the cars you are looking at, so does that matter? Can you enjoy driving a diesel from any brand as its a very different experience to petrol at the performance end. How many miles do you actually travel as I went with the X5 when doing 35k miles per annum and diesels make more sense for higher mileages.

I've enjoyed the 12 months / 9k miles of SQ5 ownership. I think I would also have really enjoyed the S6 Avant.

Sounds like you own the RS4 and have already ridden the depreciation curve somewhat. Are you really better of selling it and taking on 6-9 payments upfront and £5-700pm on a car that you wont own vs the RS4? I think the RS4 is pretty practical, sure it only gets mid 20's mpg vs 40mpg of the SQ5, but would tyres, brakes and servicing be that much cheaper to justify the switch?
    Last edited by mondie; 13th January 2019 at 15:08.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the feedback on the SQ5/X5, I have a thing for Audis and owned two previously. All have been faultless and great cars inside and out.

I was lucky when buying the RS4 and managed to get a good deal on it privately, the previous owner was a bloke in his late 50's who needed the money to finish building renovations. I travelled about 2-3 hours for it and made him a low-ish offer which after some consideration he took, I will probably get back what I paid for it. However the running costs are not cheap, here is an approx comparison against an SQ5:

RS4 Insurance - £1250 per year
    Road Tax - £550
    4 x tyres - £1000 - £1200
    Last major service - £1000+
    Front discs (no pads or fitting) - £700+
    Minor service (booked in on Thursday) - £350
    MPG - 15 - 25MPG

SQ5 Insurance - £490 per year
    Road Tax - £250
    4 x tyres - £550 (Avon tyres on Blackcircles)
    Major service - £450-500 according to other forums
    Front discs - £80 Pagid vented on Eurocarparts
    Minor service - Approx £200?
    MPG - 30-40mpg?

Overall there is quite a big saving.

The PCP deals on the SQ5 are coming back reasonable for example the below car is £320 per month with £2500 down, without any haggling.
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ice-asc&page=1

I would keep it 2-3 years and use the cash from the RS4 to fund other projects.
    Chances are in 4-5 years I will go back to an RS4 (new shape) as they really are a fantastic car.

You do need to factor in the payments in your maths. That’s over £10k over 2 years (£14K over 3), vs whatever depreciation there would be on the RS4.

X3 m40i

Agree with Matt, its all about depreciation as this is the biggest cost of owning a car. Am surprised by the insurance cost though, I paid £3-500 on M5's when we were in Aberdeen. You must be young or in a high risk area?

I do like the SQ5 and if in your situation would be leaning that way too.

Craftsman
    Yes, I am young and my fiance isn't 25 just yet which doesn't help, luckily we live in a good area as I have friends with 'average' cars who live local to me but pay not far off what I do. It will drop at renewal in March but not by a huge amount, probably around £1000-1100 per year.

The main point in selling the RS is to release funds and continue to buy properties to let out. The money I get from the RS (plus a bit more in savings) will allow me to buy three properties which will generate £750 per month pre tax profit so although I am essentially taking on a new PCP loan its almost immediately written off by rental income plus putting money in my pocket & more property being paid off. This is the main reason for getting rid of it.
    We have just found out my fiance is pregnant so that kind of put the nail in the coffin, its just not the right car at the moment and she will be using it more often. Something a bit bigger and financially friendly makes sense for a few years.

That X3 M40i is lovely, never even thought about them so will take a look.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post

That X3 M40i is lovely, never even thought about them so will take a look.
    I looked at the X3 M40i too and the petrol SQ5 is way nicer. I should qualify by the way that all of my previous comments were in relation to the petrol SQ5 that has been out for about 18 months now rather than the older model which is diesel. I mention it as you are working off some numbers for the diesel SQ5 and the ad link was to a diesel one too, for instance;

Road tax - has the £310 a year new car supplement for 5 years so it's £450 for the petrol. Any of the cars you are looking at will have the same issue if registered since 1/4/17
    MPG - is realistically early 20's for local driving and I got 30 mpg on a 300 mile motorway trip on Friday
    Tyres - You want the 21" rims with P Zeros which are £920 a set

The SQ5 diesel is very different to the petrol version. It would be a cheap car to run if you buy a 3 or 4 year old model as depreciation flattens out but the interior feels dated and it drives totally different to the petrol. That X3 40 has only been out a year too.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info. I was working off the older model, I much prefer the newer one but in terms of PCP deals it makes sense to go for the older diesel model.

Master
    Thanks for the info. I was working off the older model, I much prefer the newer one but in terms of PCP deals it makes sense to go for the older diesel model.
    I would look for one with the audi drive select option which will narrow it down a fair bit.

Craftsman
    So the time has come to start thinking about selling my B8 RS4, I absolutely love the car and its got almost every extra from new you could think of but with increased mileage at work and a baby on the way I feel we should get some thing more practical as lets be honest the RS4 is anything but that
    Why on earth isn't a medium sized estate car practical? But don't rely on my opinion, I think my M5 is a practical, everyday, family car :-)

This means I will be on the look out for a good PCP deal on something along the lines of a.......Cayenne diesel etc.
    Don’t think you can get one any more. Petrol or petrol/hybrid only now.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I have an SQ5 and previously owned an X5 35d that I put over 100k miles on. Some thoughts;

SQ5 - quad exhausts are fake!. It's actually a twin exhaust hidden under the bumper on the drivers side. I went down this route as it is noticeably smaller than the X5 / cayenne (which I wanted) but still fine for a family. Interior is top notch as is the tech and it's a decent drivers car that still manages to put a smile on your face. I'd say it isn't quite as luxurious as the larger X5, for instance no electronic adjustment on the steering wheel, but hardly a big deal. I also like the fact that it has very subtle styling as it means you don't have the whole world trying to push you into a race and just blend in with other Q5s

X5 - I owned the twin turbo diesel for over 100k miles and have also driven the 50d plenty of times. Totally different car to the SQ5 for me. It's very capable at transporting a family and copious luggage from A to B in luxury, BUT it lacks soul. Regardless of the performance stats, I just don't find any of the X5 diesels to engage you emotionally in the driving experience. I bought the X5 after I had a 650 convertible and whilst I never tired of firing up the V8 on the 650, I never warmed to the X5 diesel and a journey went from being an event to an efficient means of getting from one place to the next. The 50d is obviously quicker, but had the same diesel issue for me of being a soul-less driving experience.

I test drove a LOT of cars before deciding on the SQ5, including;

GLC 43 - Nice car but I came away puzzled as to how magazines rated it higher than the SQ5 and the interior of the SQ5 is far nicer. The GLC63 would be nice though and have not driven that yet.
    Macan GT - best drivers small SUV out there and rock solid residuals. Interior was nice but felt a bit dated. It's also the same width as the X5 and I wanted something narrower to suit where I now drive and park
    F Pace supercharged - again same width as X5. Does everything fine but build quality was dubious and it just didn't stand out to me against the competition
    Range Rover Sport - bit big and silly money by the time you have a decent engine and spec
    S6 Avant - love the engine, the understated looks, sensible running costs and some sensational deals around for 12 month old cars. Strong contender, but decided to stick with a SUV for now.

You've got some real decisions to make. The SQ5 is the smallest of the cars you are looking at, so does that matter? Can you enjoy driving a diesel from any brand as its a very different experience to petrol at the performance end. How many miles do you actually travel as I went with the X5 when doing 35k miles per annum and diesels make more sense for higher mileages.

I've enjoyed the 12 months / 9k miles of SQ5 ownership. I think I would also have really enjoyed the S6 Avant.
    Winchester and SQ5. Please tell me you're not the one that drives through the city centre jabbing the throttle so it crackles and pops?
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    Don’t think you can get one any more. Petrol or petrol/hybrid only now.

I would be looking at the older model, approx 2014 (hopefully facelift model).

Blog Entries
    With a baby on the way, get the biggest car you can afford. 'Biggest' as in luggage space, rear seat space etc. With a new baby, you'll be hauling everything but the kitchen sink.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Winchester and SQ5. Please tell me you're not the one that drives through the city centre jabbing the throttle so it crackles and pops?
    Not me and hardly consistent with me saying I enjoy the subtle styling of the SQ5 - that driver seems to have got to you though, not the first time you've banged on about it here and you clearly love SUV's too.

As far as I can tell, SUVs are taller versions of estate cars that are in no way better apart from allowing you to look down on plebs in their normal height cars. You might feel safer or have a better view but until data comes out to prove that they're safer I'm afraid it's all justification for giving up. When I lived in the middle of nowhere people mostly went Japanese - usually Subaru but Toyota and Mitsubishi too - if they had to tow horses, transport animals and so on.

I'll stick with my impractical Forester with its (currently not fitted) dog guard and roof bars. It hits 60 in about 5.5 seconds, is hilarious in the snow and can happily transport dogs, people and horseboxes without compromising the fun of driving.

Oh and I saw an SQ5 (or whatever it's called) farting its way past a bunch of people the other day. The driver thought we'd appreciate a couple of stamps on the throttle for us all to hear his ECU-controlled crackly exhaust but everyone thought he was a d1ck in a people carrier.

Not me and hardly consistent with me saying I enjoy the subtle styling of the SQ5 - that driver seems to have got to you though, not the first time you've banged on about it here and you clearly love SUV's too.
    I was laughing at that SQ5, the driver did it past a load of school kids and I couldn't think how cool they must have thought him, in his given-up-on-life car.

Master
    I was laughing at that SQ5, the driver did it past a load of school kids and I couldn't think how cool they must have thought him, in his given-up-on-life car.
    Yep, he REALLY has got to you

No, I just thought he was a complete twat.

Master
    No, I just thought he was a complete twat.
    Then get over it, I'm sure the OP would appreciate any POSITIVE contributions you might want to offer to his thread.

Then get over it, I'm sure the OP would appreciate any POSITIVE contributions you might want to offer to his thread.
    Aw diddums.

And why would the opinions have to be only 'POSITIVE'? I know someone who had a kid and panic bought an SQ5 and regretted it almost instantly. But he likes the way the exhaust crackles and attracts other middle aged men.

I just remembered where I knew you from, this classic thread:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ll-****ng-beam

Master
    Aw diddums.

And why would the opinions have to be only 'POSITIVE'? I know someone who had a kid and panic bought an SQ5 and regretted it almost instantly. But he likes the way the exhaust crackles and attracts other middle aged men.
    Yawn

Craftsman
    Not sure I could go the the whole SUV route for the sake of 1 child (you might have more though), but if I really had to, it would be a Porsche Macan for me.

Alternatively, keep the RS4 as it owes you nothing (relatively) and get a cheaper SUV (something Korean maybe?).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I tried a new M50D last year, it is possibly the worst car I have ever driven, tracks, bangs, bumps and I am sure it is nowhere near as fast as they claim.
    You should try the X5M completely different and an outstanding car

Blog Entries

I'd forgotten all about that one. I've read it again. Pure gold, pure comedy. Nearly as good as the 0-60mph in ... seconds thread!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    Not sure I could go the the whole SUV route for the sake of 1 child (you might have more though), but if I really had to, it would be a Porsche Macan for me.

Alternatively, keep the RS4 as it owes you nothing (relatively) and get a cheaper SUV (something Korean maybe?).

As mentioned I do need the money from the RS4 for a new project so it has to go either way.
    I am not really targeting an SUV on the basis of the other half being pregnant more so on the fact I do like the look of them and it will come in handy putting stuff in and out, I have been down the fast estate route now and fancy a change.

Macan is lovely but I think on PCP it would be well over my budget unfortunately, same with the X5M mentioned above :(

...I have been down the fast estate route now and fancy a change
    Any chance of leasing/buying/renting a slow estate car and spending some of the remaining change on something fun or are two cars out of the question? A friend had an RS4 estate and chopped it in for a Giulia QF. Two-year-old in the back so more than enough room to accommodate him and all his stuff. The Alfa is apparently more interesting to drive than the Audi (he thought the Audi a bit dulled in terms of handling and responsiveness).

Craftsman
    Any chance of leasing/buying/renting a slow estate car and spending some of the remaining change on something fun or are two cars out of the question? A friend had an RS4 estate and chopped it in for a Giulia QF. Two-year-old in the back so more than enough room to accommodate him and all his stuff. The Alfa is apparently more interesting to drive than the Audi (he thought the Audi a bit dulled in terms of handling and responsiveness).

Two cars would be out the question at the moment unfortunately, I need to compromise and get one good allrounder for the next few years before going back to something a bit daft like an RS4 or similar.

I appreciate what ever I get wont live up to an RS4 and will likely feel dull and/or boring with it more than likely being a diesel SUV but its only for a matter of time while I use this and other money to invest, so just have to grin and bear it.

That made me smile, especially as the OP really thought he was in the right.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    Not sure I could go the the whole SUV route for the sake of 1 child .
    Well, indeed but how wrong you are. It is for the sake of the woman who bears it. For one because of the incredible amount of absolutely necessary stuff that a baby needs when taken ánywhere thus space for half a dozen critters wíll be filled and secondly because larger is perceived as safer and lastly do no underestimate the power of subtle, cleverly disguised nagging, even blackmail.
    My 1 child is now on the brink of turning 17, owns his own 5 door car!!, and I stíll had hell to pay from his 4x4 station wagon owning mother over buying a strictly 2-seater with no luggage space untill she got the for me selling point of the no luggage space.

Craftsman

Lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    That made me smile, especially as the OP really thought he was in the right.
    So given BMW carried out a full calibration test on two separate occasions and they were found to be perfectly within spec your explanation is?

Two cars would be out the question at the moment unfortunately, I need to compromise and get one good allrounder for the next few years before going back to something a bit daft like an RS4 or similar.

I appreciate what ever I get wont live up to an RS4 and will likely feel dull and/or boring with it more than likely being a diesel SUV but its only for a matter of time while I use this and other money to invest, so just have to grin and bear it.
    Good luck. One thing you might like to pay attention to is the size of pram base (plus pram top, pushchair top and car seat) your wife will buy. Some of them are HUGE.

Master
    As mentioned I do need the money from the RS4 for a new project so it has to go either way.
    I am not really targeting an SUV on the basis of the other half being pregnant more so on the fact I do like the look of them and it will come in handy putting stuff in and out, I have been down the fast estate route now and fancy a change.

Macan is lovely but I think on PCP it would be well over my budget unfortunately, same with the X5M mentioned above :(
    SUVs don't really have that much load space compared to an estate do they?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    It's often a different shape space whereby SUV's tend to have a slightly higher load area and estates have a slightly longer space for any given stated capacity. Ultimately comes back more to the shape of the boot meeting your needs than relying on stated capacity as a comparator. Estates are better for golf clubs, SUV's are better for large bags of garden rubbish!

So given BMW carried out a full calibration test on two separate occasions and they were found to be perfectly within spec your explanation is?
    It is very OT however it doesn't matter god checked them, if you were consistently dazzling people as you say, then something was wrong.

That's a shame, a friend of mine just took delivery of a new RS4 estate carbon edition, I had never been in one before, I thought it was a really good practical car, it may not be as fast as my M4 CP but it is a far more refined and civilised place to be.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Well, indeed but how wrong you are. It is for the sake of the woman who bears it. For one because of the incredible amount of absolutely necessary stuff that a baby needs when taken ánywhere thus space for half a dozen critters wíll be filled and secondly because larger is perceived as safer and lastly do no underestimate the power of subtle, cleverly disguised nagging, even blackmail.
    My 1 child is now on the brink of turning 17, owns his own 5 door car!!, and I stíll had hell to pay from his 4x4 station wagon owning mother over buying a strictly 2-seater with no luggage space untill she got the for me selling point of the no luggage space.
    That might say more about your woman and your ability to reason with her than anything else...

Craftsman

My apologies - I'd missed the bit about needing the money out of the Audi. Hope you get sorted.

I bet you are one of the drivers flashing because you have never seen xenons before or cant afford them. Seriously, I cant believe some of the f**ckwit responses here.

The car has a full (recent) MOT, is properly adjusted, yada yada yada. It is quite simply that xenons are a different light and other drivers interpret that as being on full beam. This seems too difficult for some to get here

Oh dear.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

It's often a different shape space whereby SUV's tend to have a slightly higher load area and estates have a slightly longer space for any given stated capacity. Ultimately comes back more to the shape of the boot meeting your needs than relying on stated capacity as a comparator. Estates are better for golf clubs, SUV's are better for large bags of garden rubbish!
    Are they better for golf clubs?
    I can get three golf trolleys and three golf bags in my Volkswagen Touerag without much hassle.

Blog Entries
    As they say, Diesel engages the brain, Petrol the heart - no comparison

Have had numerous Beemers , and definitely out of the diesels forever - no comparison (no better in any other makes - an oil burner will be precisely that )
    The sweet rumble of the V8 is magical

Neighbours have only recently got rid of their Porsches (Panamera 4, Pana Hybrid, Cayenne Hybrid, Cay Turbo (Built in Slovenia !!!), were not happy with any of them and lost a packet !
    Dealer who took the latter as p/x intended use as own transport, but various niggles made him place it on the forecourt !
    (And the AD claimed nothing was out of 'the ordinary' ! ! )

Not for nothing the X5 has become the most popular SUV ever !

Try the X3 M40i - be overwhelmed .... tried persuade SWMBO swap our Golf R for one, but was a definite 'NO' ....

Good luck
    Last edited by ingenioren; 15th January 2019 at 13:08.

It's not in the same league as some of the other cars mentioned, but I think the new Skoda Kodiaq vRS looks fantastic and I'd expect it to be significantly more affordable per month...

With what seems to have been an explosion of SUV ownership over the past year or two it's hardly surprising that there's nowhere to park a normal sized car nowadays.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

The obligatory new car thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    My last 4 ‘kid cars’ were an Audi A4 estate - tiny in the back - a Volvo V70, bigger in the back but too low - then a VW Touran - absolutely huge inside, brilliant car, looks like a van - Volvo XC60 - like the V70 on stilts. I’ve come to the conclusion that the mpv is streets ahead of a traditional estate or suv for practicality, but they look like a van so petrolhead blokes wouldn’t consider one. Personally I’d buy a knackered Vauxhall Zafira or similar for peanuts so the kids can be sick all over the seats, the wife can park it wonkily in Tesco car park and not care a jot about the inevitable dings and scratches, the chocolate and sticky hands, the damage to the roof liner when you shove a fridge in the back to take it to the tip etc. And spend the rest on a car you actually like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by will852 View Post
    It's not in the same league as some of the other cars mentioned, but I think the new Skoda Kodiaq vRS looks fantastic and I'd expect it to be significantly more affordable per month...

Looks great but £42k. I just couldn’t spend the money over an Octavia

I've had a B7 RS4 before and may be looking to get into a B8 soon so when you get closer to making a decision it may be worth us having a chat!