closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My stepdad bought a Rolex.... I think it's not right.... thoughts?

My stepdad bought a Rolex.... I think it's not right.... thoughts?

Good morning,

As above - my Step Dad purchased this from a bricks and mortar establishment. I've advised him to seek a refund as I don't think it looks right (Cyclops, Bezel Pip, Warranty Card, "Rolexc"). Also, he paid over the odds for it IMO, but that is no reason for a refund.

The retailer is refusing to provide a refund as he is adamant it is genuine. Can I please get other opinions?

I suppose it might be genuine with aftermarket crystal and bezel insert?

Craftsman
    I’m far from being expert on the matter, but the cyclops is 100% not right!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cyclops doesn't look right. 'Rolexc' on the warranty card could be a typo?

Craftsman
    Pictures are poor and pictures of the box and cars arent going to help us.. you need a quality zoomed picture of the dial and bracelet.. case back and if you can remove the bracelet and check the serial numbers from between the lugs and any engraving.. also look for the rolex crown etched under the glass at the 6 o clock position.. it should be difficult to see and youd need good light and a loupe..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    Pictures are poor and pictures of the box and cars arent going to help us.. you need a quality zoomed picture of the dial and bracelet.. case back and if you can remove the bracelet and check the serial numbers from between the lugs and any engraving.. also look for the rolex crown etched under the glass at the 6 o clock position.. it should be difficult to see and youd need good light and a loupe..

Thanks. I've asked for my Mum to take some better pics and will post when I get them. Did the 16610 have the lazer etched coronet? I wasn't sure when that was introduced.

Master
    Cyclops certainly does not look right.

Warranty card suggests perhaps supply by BQW.

That box is incorrect for any P case number watch.

I’d like to check when that style of swing-tag was introduced...

Lasered coronet came later than P, but of course a service glass fitted later might have one. There are very close fake versions of coroneted glass now that would get past most people.

If you’re looking for reasons to reject it, I would happily appraise it for free for you.

How exactly was it described, both verbally and on the receipt?
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 13th January 2019 at 12:51.

Journeyman
    Cyclops magnification is wrong and it shouldn't have the new rolex box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's not a Rolex guarantee card, it's a made up dealer guarantee card.

Cyclopse us decidedly dodgey.

Can you name the Jeweller? I am sure most people here wouldn't want to deal with an establishment who has a "No Returns Policy"

Master
    If you have doubts, take it to an expert. If I were you I would take up H_M's kind offer.

Master
    The cyclops could just be a result of a crappy aftermarket crystal that was replaced at some point. But the other's are right. Need better and closer pictures of the dial side.

One thing that does stand out is the back side of the Solid End Links. I've never seen a fake that has this kind of end links correct. I can only hope that there are the correct and corresponding spring bar holes on the sides of the lugs.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    The cyclops could just be a result of a crappy aftermarket crystal that was replaced at some point. But the other's are right. Need better and closer pictures of the dial side.

One thing that does stand out is the back side of the Solid End Links. I've never seen a fake that has this kind of end links correct. I can only hope that there are the correct and corresponding spring bar holes on the sides of the lugs.
    There’s also a batch of cyclops out there that aren’t the standard magnification, which Rolex are replacing during service. But I’m sure they’re fairly recent ie ceramic era and while poor, not as bad as those above.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    If you have doubts, take it to an expert. If I were you I would take up H_M's kind offer.
    This, without a doubt.

I think you need to name the jeweller, people on here will instantly know if there is any history of dodgy dealings etc.

No returns policy - not our friends in North Wales is it?

Master
    That’s cyclops is criminal, I’d imagine anyone with half an eye would think he was wearing a fake just from that alone.

The fact he paid a premium for it too, I’d want it original.

Craftsman
    Chester you mean..
    Or is there someone in North Wales with that policy also...

Chester you mean..
    Or is there someone in North Wales with that policy also...

Colwyn Bay

Although after the last debacle they did introduce a returns policy to be fair.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 13th January 2019 at 13:43.

Craftsman
    Never bought from there.. but thanks for the heads up.. even though I dont know the name

Master
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 13th January 2019 at 19:18.

Master
    Every time my team sees a watch with one of these particular black warranty cards they groan and prepare for what they may find....

Master
    I'm probably being rather naive on this, but if it was taken to a proper Rolex dealer, could they check the serial number? Or wouldn't that help?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I'm probably being rather naive on this, but if it was taken to a proper Rolex dealer, could they check the serial number? Or wouldn't that help?

Do Rolex dealers do that? What's in it for them? I know eB@y sellers often put "happy to meet at Rolex dealer to authenticate", or similar. Do all AD staff have the necessary knowledge?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Their website self-testimonial:

"... we are passionate about what we do. Our main business is buying and selling pre-owned, unworn and vintage watches directly from and to the public. Our customers recommend us to their friends any [sic] many revisit us for another purchase. Our reputation comes from our diligence, attention to detail and high standards. All our time pieces are sourced from owners who care as much as we do which means that our selection includes some of the best examples of quality and condition in the country."

Cyclops certainly does not look right.

Warranty card suggests perhaps supply by BQW.

That box is incorrect for any P case number watch.

I’d like to check when that style of swing-tag was introduced...

Lasered coronet came later than P, but of course a service glass fitted later might have one. There are very close fake versions of coroneted glass now that would get past most people.

If you’re looking for reasons to reject it, I would happily appraise it for free for you.

Thanks for the info and very kind offer - he is down in Kent. I will pass on the offer and see if he want to send it to you.

To answer the other question about which dealer - I don't know the name (yet), but it was purchased somewhere in the Detling area (Kent) and I will update here when I know.

Sad to say, this isn't the first time my step dad has been taken for a bit of a ride (in spite of my efforts to educate, he remains very trusting - a scammers dream unfortunately).

He paid £5500 and sadly did not get a receipt. It was an impulse purchase, so I doubt he asked many questions. When he took it back today after the refund was declined, he asked for a receipt and was told (unsurprisingly) that he would not be given one. The seller also wanted to retrospectively populate the blank side of the warranty card.

I am not sure if it will prove to be good advice, but I told him he should leave it as how it was sold to him, for now at least.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Police time?

No receipt? Hopefully he didn't pay cash? A card payment will at least be a trace of the purchase if he needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    Police time?
    Surely the police would only be interested in the event that it is confirmed to be non-genuine and the seller won't offer a refund at that stage?

I don't believe retailers of used merchandise are obligated to accept a request for a refund?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    No receipt? Hopefully he didn't pay cash? A card payment will at least be a trace of the purchase if he needs it.
    He did pay via card, but Debit rather than Credit card... lost count of the amount of times I have advised family members to buy on Credit cards instead of Debt, which would potentially help here too.

At least there'll be something on a statement to prove the purchase in the absence of a receipt.

Get it checked by Haywood. Its the only way I'd be happy myself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    Surely the police would only be interested in the event that it is confirmed to be non-genuine and the seller won't offer a refund at that stage?

I don't believe retailers of used merchandise are obligated to accept a request for a refund?

- - - Updated - - -

He did pay via card, but Debit rather than Credit card... lost count of the amount of times I have advised family members to buy on Credit cards instead of Debt, which would potentially help here too.
    Pretty sure debit cards have same level of buyer protection as credit cards these days.

Craftsman
    That cyclops is woeful! I'd fear the worst as everything you posted and said points to a fake.

Get it checked and then if needs be take it up with trading standards.

Hope you get a good resolutuon.

Your stepdad obviously has more money than sense.

Master
    Difficult to tell the with that picture, however the crown guards, pip and cyclops look off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Your stepdad obviously has more money than sense.
    Really helpful comment that one , right up there with the best.

OP, as JohnnyE has already posted, you should take Milton up on his kind offer. You will then have the opinion of an industry recognised expert to fight and recover your money, so will be starting from a position of relative strength.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What kind of retailer refuses to issue a receipt for a purchase like this?

Looks like you need a trip to see HM and go from there ...

I also have parents who are too trusting, it is a generation thing, sadly our generation isn’t as nice as theirs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

If it is a fake watch then there may be grounds for recovery as he has been defarauded - chargeback from the Debit company - https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...and-chargeback

Hopefully Hayward can sort this one way or the other.

Master
    Let’s not get carried away. There may be things wrong, but it won’t be an outright fake.

There may be no receipt if the jeweller was selling on behalf of someone else, like in sc, but... really?

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    There may be no receipt if the jeweller was selling on behalf of someone else, like in sc, but... really?
    Don’t think that makes a difference and, at very least, you’d expect a card payment receipt.

Master
    Credit cards provide additional protection specifically because they involve the provision of credit, which debit cards do not.

Master
    He wasn’t given a receipt and was refused one when he asked for it?

That smells bad.

Yes, please identify the seller when you can!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    How do you think that would help?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    No cut-outs in the under-side of the SEL, to allow access to the spring bar collars for removal?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Hopefully Hayward can sort this one way or the other.
    I think this comment pretty much sums up the way forward for the OP - this forum has an incredible asset in Mr Milton.
    Surrounded, as we are, by so many opinions here it's good to have the odd bit of educated opinion.

Master
    Wow!!

He wasn’t given a receipt and was refused one when he asked for it?

That smells bad.
    Surely this doesn’t sound at all normal? I mean, neither for either a bricks and mortar seller to withhold a receipt, of course, but not for a bona fide buyer to spend thousands of pounds on a second hand product (any product, let alone one that is commonly faked) and walk away without a receipt?

Craftsman
    To be honest id agree.. sounds all around weird.. buying a watch for 5500 pounds.. a used Rolex that would normally appeal to at least a mildly interested watch enthusiast.. without a completed card, a receipt or any due diligence... reap and sow come to mind... but it still doesnt excuse any brick and mortar store from selling dodgy goods...
    I suspect eventually it will work out.. be interested to see the outcome

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    That’s cyclops is criminal, I’d imagine anyone with half an eye would think he was wearing a fake just from that alone.
    Ahhh but the hideous Cyclops is fitted for the benefit of half-blind people who can't see a regular sized date window without help.....

To be honest id agree.. sounds all around weird.. buying a watch for 5500 pounds.. a used Rolex that would normally appeal to at least a mildly interested watch enthusiast.. without a completed card, a receipt or any due diligence... reap and sow come to mind... but it still doesnt excuse any brick and mortar store from selling dodgy goods...
    I suspect eventually it will work out.. be interested to see the outcome

Agree. Sounds very odd.

Personally I can see a lot of the buyer from my late father. He was of the generation of a deal is a deal you won’t need the receipt. Trusting very. But it is a generation thing. I could of seem my father do this. ‘I know where the shop is I don’t need a receipt any problems I can always pop back’ he’d say.