closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Has anybody stayed in Virgin Gorda?

Master

Has anybody stayed in Virgin Gorda?

We're looking at booking a few nights in Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands and I know some of you are well accustomed to the Caribbean. Has anyone been for a few days, and if so, any tips?

I'm guessing we'd fly to a larger island and then either fly or get a car ferry to Gorda, but I'm not having a huge amount of luck on finding info on this so far. I'd like our own car whilst there.

Not stayed Wayne but visited for the day last year - got their by car ferry.

Sadly the place has suffered quite a bit from the last hurricane in the region, whilst rebuilding work is ongoing it's slow and extensive. Couple of interesting coastal walks and a couple of nice (small) beaches - the geology is quite unique (large rock formations) if you are taking children then as long as they are happy playing in the sea/pool it's an interesting place.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 12th January 2019 at 13:10.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Not stayed Wayne but visited for the day last year - got their by car ferry.

Sadly the place has suffered quite a bit from the last hurricane in the region, whilst rebuilding work is ongoing it's slow and extensive. Couple of interesting coastal walks and a couple of nice (small) beaches - the geology is quite unique (large rock formations) if you are taking children then as long as they are happy playing in the sea/pool it's an interesting place.
    Thanks Chris, we kind of just want somewhere with zero to do anyway. Where did you get the car ferry from, Tortola?

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Thanks Chris, we kind of just want somewhere with zero to do anyway. Where did you get the car ferry from, Tortola?
    Yes mate.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Yes mate.
    Perfect thanks, love the photos!

Master
    To get the most from the BVI you really need to sail around the islands. Its truly magical. You hop from Cay to Cay. And enjoy the restaurants and bars on the beach.
    Moor up at the Willy T (goes a bit mental sometimes..American tourists seem to struggle with over boozing ) , go to foxy's on jost Van Eyke , sail to the baths.

Going all that distance and then staying at a resort seems such a waste. Its really all about the sailing and boating that place , be like going to Chamonix and not skiiing , seriously the only people I saw there who weren't sailing boats around were hugely over weight Americans being shuffled about by a retinue.

There last month, still some damage from the wind. Locals friendly (spent an afternoon in a local bar, educational).
    If you can -sail- the islands are wonderful and you can get into non cruise ship places. We got back to the soggy dollar bar on Jost van Dyke after some 30 years, its changed a bit...

Master
    Thanks for the replies. Budget and never having piloted a boat probably rule the sailing option out unfortunately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Budget and never having piloted a boat probably rule the sailing option out unfortunately.
    You can maybe get some crewed day sail boat trips in. If you hang out in any of the bars along the Cays you can probably get friendly with boaters who will usually be up for taking you along if they like you and you bring some beer. Maybe not the seperate islands but along the coastal Cays of the main island. You can probably get a car back to your resort that way.

Seriously its one of he best things I've ever done in my life ( two weeks in Jan 2007 , intensive sailing course week one , bareboat charter week 2) but you need to get onto the water to really enjoy the BVI. At your resort I bet even the staff travel by boat , you can ask them . Even a little motorboat can cruise you around , don't need a yacht. We'd sail from morning till mid afternoon , moor up in a Cay ($10) dingy to the beach , cocktails , food , clubbing . ( dingy back at night by torchlight...be careful).

There is even a delivery service by boat ( little motorboats with usually sexy young girls selling beer and ice cream , you hail them and they'll come over).

Watch the sun , the sea breeze will make it feel cooler , 40 minutes of sailing bare chested fried me . Luckily it was the day before we left.

Amazing paradise filled with adventure , but you need to get out on the water.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 13th January 2019 at 03:12.

Blog Entries
    Okay! BVI is on my list now! Sailing is quite a thing here at home. It won't be difficult to get the family members interested.

@ Mr.D: can you give me (us) some additional info on bareboating?

Menno

Master
    I did ASA courses the first week , 101 , 103 ,104

Basic keelboat , coastal cruising and bareboat chartering.

Tough intensive course , need to study up beforehand , exams every day then , training and final practicals at the end. Not for the faint hearted.

I used Blue Water Sailing School. Captain Bill Condon , crusty Bostonian like quint out of Jaws but great guy and great fun. Liked him a lot . Real character.

42ft Benteau

Then 2nd week we were so trashed we hired a local skipper who provided local knowledge suggested some trips and helped with docking .

37ft Jeaneau I think.

Apart from that he sat back and enjoyed himself whilst we sailed and said what a great time he had (think he enjoyed it as much as we did).

Total cost at the time including flights was £2400 per person. We flew in to St Thomas in the USVI , chartered 2nd week in Tortola ( can’t remember name of the charter company , it was a smaller local one). Local Skipper was $100 a day. ( we bought him a single malt at the end and provisioned the boat)

The boat 2nd week was a bit shitty mechanically ( batteries were rubbish and the rudder was grinding but it did the job.)

Honestly it was awesome. Flight was london , NY , Miami , St Thomas and took 20hrs but I think there is a more direct route. We had to make the boat in USVI.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I did ASA courses the first week , 101 , 103 ,104

Basic keelboat , coastal cruising and bareboat chartering.

Tough intensive course , need to study up beforehand , exams every day then , training and final practicals at the end. Not for the faint hearted.

I used Blue Water Sailing School. Captain Bill Condon , crusty Bostonian like quint out of Jaws but great guy and great fun. Liked him a lot . Real character.

42ft Benteau

Then 2nd week we were so trashed we hired a local skipper who provided local knowledge suggested some trips and helped with docking .

37ft Jeaneau I think.

Apart from that he sat back and enjoyed himself whilst we sailed and said what a great time he had (think he enjoyed it as much as we did).

Total cost at the time including flights was £2400 per person. We flew in to St Thomas in the USVI , chartered 2nd week in Tortola ( can’t remember name of the charter company , it was a smaller local one). Local Skipper was $100 a day. ( we bought him a single malt at the end and provisioned the boat)

The boat 2nd week was a bit shitty mechanically ( batteries were rubbish and the rudder was grinding but it did the job.)

Honestly it was awesome. Flight was london , NY , Miami , St Thomas and took 20hrs but I think there is a more direct route. We had to make the boat in USVI.

Thanks for the info! Gives me enough to start with!