closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Sub - Service/Repair

Rolex Sub - Service/Repair

Hello all,
    Been registered a fair while, but don't really post.
    I'm looking for some advice, I have a Submariner 14060 that I bought from new in 2008. I haven't worn the watch a great deal but have kept it wound up etc. The other day it didn't feel like it wound correctly and sure enough it has now stopped. From what I have read on here on other threads, this is likely to be the main spring?

Obviously I need to have the watch repaired/serviced. I have never had the watch serviced or looked at in the time I have owned it. I'm hoping for some recommendations as to where would be good to take it. I live in Shepperton, Surrey and would rather take the watch to be repaired than post it. I don't particuarly want to go into London. I have looked and see there are Rolex approved service agents in Windsor and Guildford. Does anyone have any experience of these? Would one come more recommended?

I bought the watch while I was in Hong Kong so I have no relationship with a UK dealer etc.

Also any idea of a ball park figure as to what I'm likely to be looking at cost wise for a service? I'm aware that I'm probably going to get shot down for that question as I do understand that until the watch is looked at its impossible to say what parts will need replacing.
    I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Master
    Personally I would take it to Rolex St James. They’ll do a great job for you.

They’ll most likely tell you of the “advisory” work required; which might be new Bracelet, new Bezel insert or new Crystal etc depending on condition. You can then decide what work you want doing and what you don’t.

For a Service and refresh I’d guess that this will start at around £500 plus any new parts inside. You could ring first and talk it over with them.

I would expect around 600-700eur for a service, if you wish to preserve resale value make sure you dont let them refinish the watch, if you dont care about that sort of thing go for it :)

£550 for a Rolex Submariner service. I know you say you don't want to go into London but handing it in to St. James' would be a treat for me. Good luck.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Thanks all for your replies, some really helpful responses so thanks for that. Good to have an idea of service costs. I’d thought it might be worse than the estimates. Still might be I guess.
    I’m thinking I’ll take the advice and take the watch into St James.
    Apologies for my delay in responding to your replies. My Dad collapsed and got taken into hospital yesterday so I didn’t get home until late last night.

Craftsman
    Hope your dad is doing better today. And another vote for Rolex St James. I wouldn’t entertain the idea of giving it anywhere else to be honest, and that’s where my 2 will go for a service when the time comes.

In comparison, does anyone know what a third party company would charge for a service?

Craftsman
    Do a search on here for independents. There a some that are recommended. I had a quote from one for a date just for £450. I would trust some of the ones that have been recommended.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    If they are 3rd party Rolex accredited, which they have to be to get genuine parts etc, it's the same price Rolex charge. Rolex dictate all pricing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I have ALWAYS found independents cheaper, who have you used that charge full Rolex price?

Thanks also for the good wishes for my dad. I'm off to the hospital now.

I'm keeping my eye on the advice and based on what people are saying its unlikely I'll go anywhere other than St James. I guess particular as it has never been serviced looked at, it would make sense.

Thanks again.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I have ALWAYS found independents cheaper, who have you used that charge full Rolex price?
    +1....Rolex accredited indys can charge significantly less, within guidelines stipulated by Rolex. Some folks prefer the warm feeling 'it's been back to Rolex' aspect, bbut at the end of the day the watch gets exactly the same treatment! You also deal directly with the guy who's working on the watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1....Rolex accredited indys can charge significantly less, within guidelines stipulated by Rolex. Some folks prefer the warm feeling 'it's been back to Rolex' aspect, bbut at the end of the day the watch gets exactly the same treatment! You also deal directly with the guy who's working on the watch.
    +1 being able to communicate with the person doing the work is a big bonus in my books :)

Apprentice
    I have used Terry at Swiss Serve for my GMT2 and also for my Tudor pre Tiger Chronograph as well.
    I have also recommended him the three friends who have used him as well.
    Very very pleased with the results every time.

You can chat with him on the phone first but look on his website and see what he offers and prices.

From memory I think the GMT was about £220 and the Chrno, due to the extra comlications was £285. Both came back to me looking like new.

http://www.swiss-serv.co.uk/watch-repairs

Craftsman
    I’m assuming as bought new you still have all the papers? If by any chance not then I would have thought a an ‘official’ Rolex service certificate / card will be worth paying the extra for, if you ever come to resell...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I do have the receipt and original papers and warranty card etc. But it had crossed my mind that as the watch hasn't been looked at serviced since I bought it, that it would be good to have a Rolex service record with the watch. As mentioned before I think I've been persuaded that it would be a good idea to take it into St James. I can always look into using an independent if the watch needs attention in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    I would expect around 600-700eur for a service, if you wish to preserve resale value make sure you dont let them refinish the watch, if you dont care about that sort of thing go for it :)
    I took the watch into St James this morning and have left it with them. They are providing me with a quote for the service. I did say about not polishing the strap etc. They said that the re-finish is brushed like the strap these days. So woud the recommendation still be to not have the watch re-finsihed etc? Any oter advice about what I should ask for? I would like to retain value, not that I think I ever will sell.

I must admit that I thought it was in good condition, then I looked at the receipt letter. They have listed the following on the watch

Braclet scratched - Clasp loose
    Case scratched - Case back marked
    Bezel marked - Crown marked
    Bezel insert scratched - Glass chipped

I knew the bezel had a tiny scratch, the rest I wasn't aware of. I barely evet wear it!!

Thanks in advance for any advice. :-)

Decide what you want doing and advise them accordingly.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Any 5 digit Rolex I would not get polished or any parts changed unless you really have to, keeping original is paramount even if it is only 11 years old, I would say thank you for your suggestions but can you just service the movement and leave everything as is.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Any 5 digit Rolex I would not get polished or any parts changed unless you really have to, keeping original is paramount even if it is only 11 years old, I would say thank you for your suggestions but can you just service the movement and leave everything as is.
    Thank you murkywaters, that was what I expected I'd be told from reading threads on here in the past. I can't say that I want the bezel insert changed the scratch is so minimal you really have to look for it. I've never seeen that the glass is chipped either, I must have really crap powers of observation.