closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts on premium bonds (Ernie) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Thanks, have contacted and added new address, own 2k for 7 years and have won £75 in that time.
    Roughly the equivalent of 0.53%

Master
    Luck has a lot to do with wining PB.
    I have several blocks that regularly return which I keep.
    Other blocks I cash in & reinvest again this seems to work well, only ball ache is the form as online it cashes in your oldest ones first.
    Been waiting on a list for HULK for a good while & must of won enough to pay for a quarter or more of it :)

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Luck has a lot to do with wining PB.
    I have several blocks that regularly return which I keep.
    Other blocks I cash in & reinvest again this seems to work well, only ball ache is the form as online it cashes in your oldest ones first.
    Been waiting on a list for HULK for a good while & must of won enough to pay for a quarter or more of it :)
    You don't think it's random then?

A million pound winner from a couple of draws back had a holding of only 5k and had them for 6 months....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Me & Mrs T-7 both had the maximum invested until about 5 years ago. We didn't win much as I recall & never more than £25 a time

We cashed them all in

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Me & Mrs T-7 both had the maximum invested until about 5 years ago. We didn't win much as I recall & never more than £25 a time

We cashed them all in
    That is massively statistically unlucky!

Handy place for short term savings or money that is just ‘passing through’ on its way to next watch purchase ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You don't think it's random then?
    I have four blocks that win at least every or every other month, is that random?

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    I have four blocks that win at least every or every other month, is that random?
    Yes

One of the ERNIEs came out of a factory I used to work in years ago, Sopers Lane in Poole. It might have been Plessey at the time. I talked to the chief engineer of the project one day. From a distant conversation the randomness was introduced by the discharge of valves. I could be wrong. Anyway his point was, and my point is, they do go to extraordinary lengths to ensure randomness.

The problem is, if you suspect bias then everything you see to support your theory will register and make your belief more certain. Everything you see that doesn't support your bias will be ignored, and won't make your belief less certain.

All I would say is there is no way newer PBs win more than older ones, no way. Impossible. You might see stuff that supports the theory, but you are ignoring stuff that doesn't.

Sounds on the whole like PBs are, in general, safe but disappointing.

Master
    We have quite a haul between and just calculated we got 6.5% return due to wins, of course it could be higher if wins with a few 0s had come through, still, a little excitement at the start of every month is nice, unless you get the “Sorry” message.

Interesting and broad ranging article on the latest iteration of ERNIE which is unveiled today.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Interesting and broad ranging article on the latest iteration of ERNIE which is unveiled today.
    Thank you - that was fascinating

Craftsman
    What I do know is if My building society interest gets much lower I am going to be paying them !!!I Im ready to buy premium bonds Myself!!!

Craftsman
    Inspired by this thread I thought I'd invest.
    Tried a few times over the past couple of hours and the new registration page just times out!