closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex GMT issue

Craftsman

Rolex GMT issue

Hi all
    I have a 2014 GMT2 ceramic. I purchased it in February 2014 and have not worn it for months. As we are moving house I have relocated my safe in a friends garage and my watches are in there still, apart from 5 or 6 anyway. The one I have been wearing lately is my Rolex GMT. It’s keeping excelent time and if I wear it daily or leave it on a winder it runs perfectly. However if I let it stop it will not start from a shake I have to wind it. Is this normal?? Once running it’s faultless and never needs winding.

I had a 3 year warranty when I purchased it but I believe it may have been extended to 5 years due to the change of term Rolex offer on watches now. If it should start from a shake I need it servicing and will be getting it sorted before the warantee expires.

Craftsman
    Sound like there is nothing wrong with it, you should always give your watch a wind if it has stopped before you wear it (although I don’t always do it when I take them out of the bank)

The watch won’t be in warranty. Rolex’s purchased before June/July 2015 got 1 year extended warranty

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    you should always give your watch a wind if it has stopped before you wear it
    Have you a source for that assertion? I literally never wind my automatics before putting them on. Why not just let the rotor do its job?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Have you a source for that assertion? I literally never wind my automatics before putting them on. Why not just let the rotor do its job?
    Depends how active you are I guess but I’m a certified desk diver so that initial flick of the wrist wouldn’t last very long!

Craftsman
    Ok thanks. I wasn’t sure. I do always wind a watch that has stopped but happened to pop it on in a rush just before Christmas because the wife was driving us to the in-laws.
    I planned to wind and set the watch in the car but I forgot and a hour later i looked and it wasn’t running. I shook it a little but nothing. I wound it half a turn and pushed the crown in, it came to life. I fully wound it then and set the time and date, it was fine for days and didn’t stop. Some nights I sat it on the back, some nights on the crown. I popped it in the winder and it ran a full week no issues.
    Two days ago I let it stop to see how it would act and today gave it a shake, then a quicker shake but nothing extreme, it wouldn’t start either time. I put it on the winder and it’s been there hours now. When I’m home I’ll see if it’s running and if not pop the crown out and home without a wind. If it starts at least I’ll know it’s probably as designed. I’m not all that concerned and don’t plan to sell it, just thought if it was under warentee I might as well get it sorted now rather than miss the boat and have to pay.

I do know I won’t be taking it to Rudell in wolves anyway, the last Rolex I was waiting for arrived and I had ‘the call’. I said I would be there the following week to collect and told that’s fine. 7 days later I turned up and they had sold it!! I’ve not returned and don’t intend to again. I waited 18 months on the list for it and they decided I didn’t matter enough to wait a week. Charming.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No idea if this is comparable but AD advised me to wind my Seiko if it ever stopped

Master
    If you are opening the crown to set the time on your stopped watch then you may as well wind it.

Don’t know whether it is true or not but I’ve generally gleaned from various forums it’s better for the mainspring to be fully wound.

Craftsman
    I agree you may as well wind it if you are setting the time. Normally do. Just wanted to make sure it’s not playing up.

I have also been told by a few watch makers when taking watches for a service that they advize it for accuracy as well as reliability. I just go with the flow normally but don’t want a faulty watch 👍

And for what it’s worth when I got home the watch had started to run on the winder without my input.

My mind is a bit more at rest now anyway. I love watches and collect them when I can, but my knowledge is limited. I know there are some real experts on here and no one has screamed out in horror at the watches behaviour so that’s all I need to know.

Master
    My Explorer II, which will have the same GMT movement, does the same. It's my only automatic that needs some additional winding to get it going. I've always assumed it's just the additional components and gear train for the GMT function that require a bit more power in the mainspring as opposed to a simple three hander.

If the power reserve is normal after wearing it for a while then I wouldn’t think that there is an issue with the automatic winding. I always give my auto watches a wind to get them going fwiw.

Craftsman
    I used to have a Speedmaster that did this. It always ran faultlessly but needed an actual wind to get going. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    Sound like there is nothing wrong with it, you should always give your watch a wind if it has stopped before you wear it (although I don’t always do it when I take them out of the bank)

The watch won’t be in warranty. Rolex’s purchased before June/July 2015 got 1 year extended warranty
    I agree with this. If any of my watches stop I always restart them by winding.

Journeyman
    Taken from the Sky-Dweller instruction manual:

"Before being worn for the frst time, or if it has
    stopped, a Rolex watch must be wound manually
    in order to function correctly and precisely.
    To wind the watch manually, unscrew the winding
    crown completely, then turn it several times
    clockwise. (Turning in the other direction has
    no effect.) A minimum of 25 turns is required for
    adequate partial winding. The watch will then
    be wound automatically as long as it is worn on
    the wrist. Carefully screw the crown back down
    against the case to ensure waterproofness."

Craftsman
    Thanks guys that’s put my mind firmly at rest. Today I’ll just wear and enjoy 👍