closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Straps for Seiko SKX007 - which ones

Master

Straps for Seiko SKX007 - which ones

Hopefully I will have a SKX007 arriving next week and would like to add a few straps - the original Steel comes with the watch and I have added the Seiko Rubber, (which some say is not good - but I would like to try it, anyway)

I have a 7" wrist and don't like the "flappy" end sticking out too much, so I think my regular strap will be SS - I have looked at Uncle Seiko and StrapCode - Jubilee, Beads of Rice, Razorwire

(I have also bought an olive green Zulu - but I pressed the wrong buy button and it has 5 rings - plus it's 12" long - so I think that I will end up cutting quite a chunk off, (back to the last hole) - I'm not a fan of folding the strap back - and (my) finishing the (new) end cut will always looks obvious

It would be great if you could show me what you have and to receive your comments on recommendations

I bought 2 "Watch Steward" straps off SC last month and they are BRILLIANT on the 007: https://www.thewatchsteward.com/ They're elastic, light, comfortable.

Bought an Uncle Seiko oyster last week as a result of a WTB. Not "perfect" to me.. but good for the money. End links dont fit the profile of the case as well as I'd have expected, clasp works well but sits a bit proud of the 1st emerging links for my liking. I have it on now but i KNOW I'll go back to the watch steward straps and stay there.

Good pics on instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/thewatchsteward/?hl=en

Hi Bill, I have an SKX007 on the original bracelet, and although I haven't tried it on anything else, I couldn't imagine it on anything else! I read some reviews before buying that the original bracelet was a bit cheap and flimsy, but I think it suits the watch perfectly.
    I've had a couple of watches where I've ended up buying several straps and changing them over, which is part of the fun of course. But ultimately I've always found that there's just one strap that really suits any watch, and for me and the SKX007, that's the bracelet.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Uncle Seiko pics... note the end link relative to case... I'd be interested to see the same angle from OE and Strapcode owners:

If you like the look of it on rubber but not the original Seiko rubber then this might be worth a look.

https://skinxstraps.com

They make a soft rubber with curved ends bespoke to the SKX, Instagram pics look excellent and reviews are good. Not overpriced either. Currently out of stock, but got my name down for a notification when they come back in.

Master
    Thanks guys for your comments

what size wrists do you have - mine is 7" and what I find with watch straps, (apart from bracelets), they are just too long

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Thanks guys for your comments

what size wrists do you have - mine is 7" and what I find with watch straps, (apart from bracelets), they are just too long
    7" here. The Watch Steward strap has NO overhangs! It also has no strip of material behind the caseback... so it sits flush to your wrist. Its everything a NATO isnt... I highly rate them.

If I can do some pics or a video later today I'll post back...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    7" here. The Watch Steward strap has NO overhangs! It also has no strip of material behind the caseback... so it sits flush to your wrist. Its everything a NATO isnt... I highly rate them.

If I can do some pics or a video later today I'll post back...
    They must be good Johnny - they are ALL out of stock

I like the original jubilee. It makes noise, has hollow end links but just looks and wears so right. Very comfortable.

I also have two Seiko straps. I shortened one and kept the other full size.

Also use bonetto rubber straps. They look like the Seiko straps (flat or curved) but are rare softer and attract no lint. (like Seiko, unlike other “rubber straps”)

Also use NATO now and then. Only haven’t tried leather.

009 on Seiko jubilee

On Bonetto

NATO

Oyster (strapcode, sold it)

Similar cased skx399 on bonetto flat

Rubber (shortened, so you don’t see it)

I have quite some 22mm Seiko divers so nice to mix and match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 12th January 2019 at 15:10.

I’d go with a Strapcode Oyster (which is what my now-departed 009 was on), or a Borealis ‘ISOfrane’. Unless they’ve improved the standard ‘Z’ rubber it’s horrible, and I always thought the standard Jubilee let down the rest of the watch.

Simon

Blog Entries
    The best oyster bracelet in my humble opinion is the rare wjean super oyster. Stamped clasp and excellently executed. They do crop up on eBay now and again.

Here is one for sale but it's expensive-

http://www.strapboutique.com/mobile/...ode=SO2%2D0001

Followed by that is the strapcode super oyster but the one that has the central end link pivot from the bracelet- not the fixed end link version which protrudes out. Again hard to come by.

I'd say strapcode is the way forward but the prices are steadily increasing with Amazon, the delivery charges are hefty.

Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk

Master
    Geckota true bond NATO looks great.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Watchgecko seem to do some also. Not tried them

Grey NATO.

Bond NATO.

Strapcode oyster.

Master
    ^^thats an old Strapcode oyster they no longer make and getting hard to find. Much prefer this style of end link than their current snaggletooth 3D version.

Yes, these are old photos of my long-departed SKX. Not one I miss, exactly--but it's a cracking watch all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    They must be good Johnny - they are ALL out of stock
    Didn't get a chance to swop this on - but here's a pic from earlier showing how it fits. I wasn't a fan of their branding, but luckily its only lightly laser etched into the buckle. 2 mins with a Garryflex block sorted that!

Uncle Seiko waffle strap:

Master
    The most comfortable strap I tried on my SKX was the Borealis ‘Isofrane’ rubber strap. However this particular strap created a huge gap between then end of the rubber strap and the actual watch, so it was a no for me. Someone else might not mind it, as I say it was super comfortable and looks the part on a divers watch.

Craftsman
    I couldn’t get on with the supplied rubber strap, have mine on one of Eddies NATO’s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    The best oyster bracelet in my humble opinion is the rare wjean super oyster. Stamped clasp and excellently executed. They do crop up on eBay now and again.

Here is one for sale but it's expensive-

http://www.strapboutique.com/mobile/...ode=SO2%2D0001

Followed by that is the strapcode super oyster but the one that has the central end link pivot from the bracelet- not the fixed end link version which protrudes out. Again hard to come by.

I'd say strapcode is the way forward but the prices are steadily increasing with Amazon, the delivery charges are hefty.

I think wJean has long gone from the market, I’d like to be proven incorrect though. If you try and add this bracelet you’ve linked to the basket, it fails like it’s an old link. I’ve tried emailing William Jean too but not had anything back. Does he still have an eBay site? It’s a shame really, great quality bracelets they are. His was my first, sold that, tried Strapcode, sold that. This is why I tried the Uncle Seiko bracelet, the newer Strapcode Oyster just look odd and seem to extend the watch lugs too far and make the watch look larger than its short lugs prevent naturally.
    Last edited by oiljam; 12th January 2019 at 23:40.

Blog Entries
    Ahh cheers Liam, I wouldn't want to lead anyone up the garden path . It's more than likely the end of wjeans era . I'd second the strapcode based on experience and probably keen to try uncle Seiko as it seems on par

Journeyman
    IMG_5235.JPG

WatchGecko sailcloth

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Great shots....skx fever is rising again. Heh.

-OD
    Last edited by odgreen; 19th January 2019 at 08:25. Reason: typo

Just wanted to post an update to my comments above regarding the Uncle Seiko oyster:

My strap was an unworn item I'd bought off Liam/Olijam a few weeks back. I've had Strapcode stuff in the past and thought those to be fair value for money (if a bit sharp and unfinished at the edges of links). So... for the fair price I'd paid Liam, I was 100% accepting of a few "tolerance" issues with those end links.

Without being asked, Liam went back to Uncle Seiko for me and showed the pics above of the fit. He was sent a complimentary replacement set of end links to try and those were forwarded on to me.

The result? PERFECT fit. My 1st set seems to have been made with the springbar guide off centre, causing the end links to sit crooked by a small amount. Now?.. they fit beautifully against the case. A really quality item. I like that the strap tapers to about 16mm or so (i think!). That taper fits well with the more classic looks of the 007 and is very comfortable. Clasp is a nicely made thing with no pressed parts as you'll see in the next pics.

So, kudos to Liam AND Uncle Seiko. A fellow TZ'er who went the extra mile when he wasn't asked... and a strap maker who stood over his product without hesitation.

Master
    I enjoy wearing the 007 almost as much as my Rolex Sub - I have 3 Rolex which I bought a few years ago, the last one about 8 years ago and, although I think that they are lovely watches I am just going off them almost daily because of the waiting list fiasco, the way that they are chased after in an almost "gold rush" fashion and the fact that many are now bought by non watch enthusiasts just to get on a speculative venture to make money - they seem to have become a "currency" in parts of the Middle East........ and for certain dodgy transactions

I now tend to look at new Rolex Subs and then compare them with "Divers" and similar under £1,000 new, and to tell you the truth this micro brand market is really interesting.

Anyway, I digress, I've been looking around at straps for the 007, I quite like Zulu's and Nato's but most are 300mm long and therefore there is the fold back end on my 7" wrist, which I'm not keen on - I know that they are supposed to be like that - ideally I want a strap that measures 240mm, (Zulu or Nato) or a 2 part that measures 240mm including the watch ..... because of this I tend to prefer Bracelets which are easy adjustable.

The Seiko Jubilee that comes with the watch is pretty good in my opinion, I tend to wear the watch reasonable tight on the wrist and I find the strap fits well and it's comfortable - I know that the clasp etc., are pretty cheap - but so is the watch, and as a package at well under £200, it's a bargain

Seiko Jubilee

I have the Seiko Rubber Z22 but I have not tried that yet

I bought a 5 ring Zulu from Watch Obsession - it's good quality and good value for money, particularly as they have a sale on at the present time and their straps are reduced to £7.60p, yep that's seven pounds 60 pence

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...u-watch-straps

Last edited by BillN; 25th January 2019 at 15:38.

Journeyman
    The Crown &Buckle chevron straps look good but all out of stock

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

Replacement link pins

Hey all,

I have a Super Oyster II that I bought off wjean back in the day. Unfortunately, one of the screw pins popped out on one of the links the other day. Watch fell off my wrist but no way I could find the screw pin where ever it had gone too. Anyone know what would work as a replacement or where I could get one?

I went in to my local Timpson's but they informed me they had nothing that would work on a 'Seiko' strap.

Seems wjean is no longer on the scene either as I got a bounce back from the email that accompanied the strap when I bought 6 / 7 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Daneeka View Post
    Hey all,

I have a Super Oyster II that I bought off wjean back in the day. Unfortunately, one of the screw pins popped out on one of the links the other day. Watch fell off my wrist but no way I could find the screw pin where ever it had gone too. Anyone know what would work as a replacement or where I could get one?

I went in to my local Timpson's but they informed me they had nothing that would work on a 'Seiko' strap.

Seems wjean is no longer on the scene either as I got a bounce back from the email that accompanied the strap when I bought 6 / 7 years ago.

Thanks in advance.
    Have you tried Strapboutique, it’s wJeans site. Although this may no longer be live. I think he’s done

http://www.strapboutique.com/default.asp?m=0

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Have you tried Strapboutique, it’s wJeans site. Although this may no longer be live. I think he’s done

http://www.strapboutique.com/default.asp?m=0
    I did send them an email. No response unfortunately.

Brand new retro Rollball
    Black suits the 007
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Daneeka View Post
    I did send them an email. No response unfortunately.
    Check your PM

Hi
    The original black rubber strap on my SKX009 was comfortable. I have no problems with it. The watch is very similar to the SKX007. For a change I have replaced it with a blue Borealis rubber strap that is even more comfortable. It gives it a bit more colour. I think they make black ones as well. The adjustment in finer than the Seiko strap.

Craftsman

+1 for the sailcloth. This is still a favourite of mine.

Last edited by Fraz01; 25th May 2019 at 08:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Brand new retro Rollball
    Black suits the 007
    Gorgeous but why not for chronos?! :-(

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk