closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just two watches....for life. Could you do it?

Master

Just two watches....for life. Could you do it?

Well, could you? Most of us love to change, flip, have fun with the hobby. But supposing you really were limited to two watches, and that would be it....you’re done. One good point is that residuals would cease to matter. It’s just what you love, and trust to go the distance.
    Simple?

Thought about this a lot over the years. Never really came to a decision. All I actually need to tell the time is a decent Gshock. If I sold everything else I could have something very exotic I suppose but my trouble is that most of my watches have a spare/back up version just in case of disaster. Not sure how I would cope without that.

Two? One would be enough. I only wear one at a time.

My collection is a luxury l afford myself. It's in no way essential.

To put it into perspective, if owning an expensive watch or having a healthy family were, in some way, linked decisions then ld wear no watch at all.

In September someone suggested that "two plus one" was good for the long term...and had put all three watches up for sale within the next two months.

You don't find keepers, they find you, and furthermore, they dictate how many of them there will be.

Craftsman
    Yes, could go one. But i choose not to.

A year ago I'd have said no but since then I've sold off a good chunk of my collection and bought four watches I'd wanted for some time. I I could have just two I'd have a Great White and an X33 Skywalker. In fact I was in a pub last year with Andy Tims and took this pic of a pair of his watches, thinking at the time they'd make the perfect two-watch collection. Andy sold me the X33, so I'm halfway there. I still regret not buying his Great White when he offered it to me a few years back!

"A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    A year ago I'd have said no but since then I've sold off a good chunk of my collection and bought four watches I'd wanted for some time. I I could have just two I'd have a Great White and an X33 Skywalker. In fact I was in a pub last year with Andy Tims and took this pic of a pair of his watches, thinking at the time they'd make the perfect two-watch collection. Andy sold me the X33, so I'm halfway there. I still regret not buying his Great White when he offered it to me a few years back!

You should have hung on to our red Sub, Simon! (Mind you, so should I.)

Master
    I think I could do it. But I could also pour a bucket of cold baked beans over my head - I have no intention of doing either ;)

Having said that from what I have today I would have:
    Rolex Hulk
    Panerai PAM233
    Casio GA100 (my aged eyes can no longer read a GW5600 unless I take my glasses off)

That would be it, but I won't be doing it.

Blog Entries
    I'm getting there, I think sea dweller and daydate would see to all of my watch related needs.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Yes.

Ceramic Pepsi GMT and a two tone Daytona with a non-black dial.

Job done.

Job done. Well, 2 + 1.

Mind you, that's my sensible head. If I actually had to choose three from my current lot, I don't think sensible would apply.

Craftsman
    Yes, absolutely.

I've got one of them already, the chronograph I built for myself (the Field Engineer, there's a thread about it on this forum if you search). I initially reckoned I only needed one watch, but now I think I need a second one; a GMT Zulu, perhaps with a heavy shark mesh bracelet, but definitely with a central hand chronograph.

If you're going for two watches for life, then I think they should be different enough that you don't have to resort to 'eeny-meeny-miny-mo' to pick which one you're going to wear, but similar enough that switching from one to the other after a few days doesn't feel overly weird.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    I'm getting there, I think sea dweller and daydate would see to all of my watch related needs.
    Yes, that’s my thinking too.

Mind you, I don’t own a 43mm, but I might...
    Ps...I cheat because quartz watches don’t count. Only mechanical watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th January 2019 at 12:30.

My collection of 50+ watches is pure self indulgence as such I see no point in limiting my choice. However whenever I go away I only take one watch with me and it’s always the same watch (shock horror) in fact I find a period with only one to wear quite cathartic.
    I am not sure which of the collection would make it in to a 2 watch rotation but I think I will always need a chronograph and a divers watch... and maybe a GMT and a field watch and a quartz watch and a multifunction watch and a vintage watch and a...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    You don't find keepers, they find you, and furthermore, they dictate how many of them there will be.
    Profound, and quite true. The ones I think will be keepers rarely are; the ones I have bought with lower expectations are sometimes excellent.

I couldn’t. However, I’m settling for these three for the next 2 - 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have done just that.

My polar explorer is not going anywhere and it would be the Citizen GPS as the second watch(The Casio dosen't count according to TZ folklore)

This is exactly what I am working towards.

1) A daily wearer which must have a date - this is currently a Globemaster (on steel with blue dial)
    2) A casual/sporty chronograph for weekends - currently a Speedmaster 60th anniversary
    3) A G shock for more adventurous days. Come on, we all need a G shock!

Master
    Perhaps one day but I think that day is a long way off. If I had to choose here and now I would pick a simple dress watch and a sports watch with 100m+ WR. G Shocks don't count - right? Couldn't be without a G.

Master
    No, couldn't come close.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    This is exactly what I am working towards.

1) A daily wearer which must have a date - this is currently a Globemaster (on steel with blue dial)
    2) A casual/sporty chronograph for weekends - currently a Speedmaster 60th anniversary
    3) A G shock for more adventurous days. Come on, we all need a G shock!
    You? Without a Seiko?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    You? Without a Seiko?
    You're quite right, I had forgotten my Seiko Spirit!
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 12th January 2019 at 13:53.

Master
    I would get bored very quickly.

For me, searching for the next watch, talking to other enthusiasts, meeting up for a beer and a watch purchase, sale or trade or awaiting the postman is a big part of the hobby.

I recently sold a watch that I liked, not particularly needing the money - this is what is behind it. I don’t have a concept of a ‘keeper’ watch either - everything is eventually sold or traded.

These are my longest serving though, so would be good candidates if I were made to do it :)

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    I couldn’t. However, I’m settling for these three for the next 2 - 3 years.

Jealous face!! That is a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Yes, that’s my thinking too.

Mind you, I don’t own a 43mm, but I might...
    Ps...I cheat because quartz watches don’t count. Only mechanical watches.

Lol - quartz don't count. Well that opens things up hugely!

I couldn't do it. Unless there was some strange life event which required it.

I would like to think that I could do 3 main watches, but it would be far too restrictive - and why do it?

From my watches my three (as 2 would never be possible) would probably be:

Sea-Dweller 16600
    WG Daytona
    Patek 5711

But... I'd never sell my 16610LV's, or my 14060 COSC's.

That's before I start looking at my whole Omega collection, or an Tudors.

Realistically any two watches from any of my watch boxes chosen at random would be more watches than I'd ever need.
    It's just a matter of time...

Just two watches....for life. Could you do it?

These two classics for me. Probably couldn’t do it however.

Currently with Seiko for a new case and bracelet due to 2 epic falls recently :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post

There was one of these on SC a few months ago and I really agonised over it but had just bought something. Such a stunning dial!

Craftsman
    I think I could do it. My first chice would be AP Royal Oak. Its stood the test of time for nearly 50 years and I doubt it will look aged or out of date any time soon. Still undecided on second choice, probably a BLNR.

Blog Entries
    I could have easily done - before I joined this forum.

No chance now.

in theory it could be these:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 12th January 2019 at 14:34.

I'm down to 3 already and could go down to 2, though I'd suspect I'd want to flip them. Additionally, one of my 2 would be a wearable (currently a Garmin 5x) because I run, hike and wouldn't want to wear a nice watch to work as they get beaten up.

The other of the 2, I'm not so sure about. I have a GO presently, I think maybe a I could settle on a sub C....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Groundhog day?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...better-watches

No, I still like variety.

SubC and a G-shock 5600.

One for everyday battering about such as hammering, gardening, skiing, drinking, fighting, falling down stairs, etc.

And the plastic for when you need to set the above to the exact time

Master
    Although I really do only have two mechanical watches, I’ve just bought a Citizen quartz (300 metre wr). I had to pay my partner £50 because I bet her I wouldn’t buy a watch in 2019. Well, look at it this way, I lasted eleven days.
    She’s taken the money too; easy pickings.

I do like the idea of really thinking about what they would be... trouble is, I already have more than 2 watches that have real personal connections, making that aspiration too difficult already.

However, theoretically, I would probably start with a sea dweller, I’m on a list (isn’t everyone for something!?) for a SD50 but I’m starting to lose the will with that and will now be actively seeking a 1665 GW or matte dial 16660, maybe team that with the BLNR and I could be happy... for a while?

The more I think about this the more it changes...

If I absolutely had to then of course I could. From my present collection those two would be this....

And this (although in a mandated 2-watch collection it would need to be on its bracelet as the brown strap would be too limiting)...

As with Tony I’d find 3 an easier number, because that would then allow me to retain this one too...

But who am I kidding. As it stands at the moment and notwithstanding some financial catastrophe in the future, it ain’t gonna happen! I do see myself this year reducing from my current 16 down to around 10 - but that’s as far as I’d choose to go.

Simon

I preferred it when I had 2 watches. I said to myself that's all I need moving forward and won't get another however when I checked the box this am there were 20-odd watches in there so they seem to be creeping into the collection undetected

Yep. Rolex GMT ceramic as a daily and a PP chronograph annual calender

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Two watches for life? As long as you define 'Life' as being around 5 years, then Yes!

Master
    Not a problem for me... If only the perfect watches exist.

Saying that, I'm pretty happy with my GS quartz GMT + Explorer combo.

No. Sounds good in theory, but impossible to do.

Craftsman
    Where's the fun in being sensible?
    If I was being sensible however, it would be my self modded 6r15 powered SKX. Sorry but yes, an SKX because I do a physical job, can fix or replace anything on it and can change its look whenever I want.

Also my Seiko weekdater 6218-8971 because it's perfectly sized and goes with a suit or shirt. (Maybe a linen dial Rolex or Tudor date/perpetual/datejust could replace my little weekdater)
    Neither of these watches are as expensive, or have the cache of notable favourites like the rolex explorer etc. I'm sure that if I sold everything I could get 2 entry point 'luxury' watches - maybe one day if I get bored of the hobby that's what I'll do.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    No. Sounds good in theory, but impossible to do.
    Impossible? Well, maybe. But it’s a good goal to help keep the buying under some control. I really don’t want to end-up with 12 watches again. I find that stressful, too much choice.

Master
    Well I could make do with a phone for telling the time and no watch I suppose......only joking!

I think three is the magic number, but depends on the day job (manual/physical)

So assuming manual day job, this is where I’m at.

1. Gshock (nothing else will do, wore one every day in a hard manufacturing environment and it was bloody unbelievable)

2. Sinn 656 weekends/down the pub, so understated only one of us would notice it.

3. Omega Speedmaster .... smart with a suit or just more formal occasions

Obviously there’s many options, but apart from possibly swoping the Speedmaster for a DateJust im happy.

Master
    And just to prove the point that 2/3 is not possible I love this.....

Seiko weekdater

If I needed to, it would be my GS SBGR053 for smart and Golgo13 Tuna for casual as they both have sentimental value (GS was partially bought with a small inheritance and Tuna was bought while on honeymoon) and are really versatile. GW5000 for gym and gardening as G Shocks don't count...

As I don't need to fortunately, I can have others as well, but these are the two I won't ever move on.
    Last edited by mindforge; 12th January 2019 at 19:49.

Craftsman
    My 2 + 1.
    I currently can't see a situation or occasion where I would wear any of my other watches. These 3 cover all basis.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A Patek 5146J and a Rolex BLNR and it would be job done for me.

I can’t bring myself to have so much in one watch though - despite having the same value in several lesser watches. 6 it is then.

Yes, is this a competition is there a prize?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Yes - I reckon so. I've long held that my ideal combination of watches is a Chromo, a GMT and a Diver. If forced to limit myself to two watches, I'd have to combine two of those in one - GMT Diver, GMT Chrono or Diver Chrono.

Fortunately, my Fortis B-42 Chrono has 200m WR and a dive bezel, and a centre-minute chromo display, which makes it a good adventure sports tool watch and would fit in the Diver Chrono slot. It's quite big, and chunky with it too, making it quite a different watch to wear, versus the Rolex GMT 16710. So the combination of the Rolex and the Fortis should do well for anything I'm likely to do for a few years, and this pairing has already done several holiday / business trips - when I needed the Rolex for business and the Fortis for sport.

Last edited by HappyJack; 13th January 2019 at 09:49.