Currently my Rolex is a recent DJ 41mm. Standards of finish and design both aesthetic and mechanical that are superb. It's a dress/everyday watch icon.

We know that the Submariner is another iconic watch. For me the ND 2 liner or the early ND 4 liner epitomises the Sub. It's size, the cleanliness of it's design and the quality of the build of the head are essential features and for a 40mm size it's "daintiness".

So, buying one for me at this time was not possible. But I wanted one. the 42mm copies didn't excite me. the recent vogue of 39mm copies I believed would be a bit small and the essential features of the Sub were not present in those copies.

A Ginault Ocean Rover appeared on SC and after reading around with features such as dubious movement description, meaningless dial script and the price I thought I'd pass. The irritant however was embedded and was, well, irritating! I read some more and saw that there was more to this watch than the negatives. I saw that buyers were offered discounts on the rrp if they wrote reviews which suggested a message that was not wholly encouraging. In those reviews some very strong positives were commented on (well they would be wouldn't they!).

I wasn't a stranger to "high end" copies (eg the original Monta Ocean King) and realised that as much as they tried their appeal/value was subjective and not intrinsic.

I agonised (briefly) and then "what the hell" took over and I bought the Ocean Rover.

It's only been with me for less than a week but at variance with other watches I have recently bought I feel driven to write about it.

It's stunning! Quality is unbelievably good. One feature that I have fixated on are the SELs of the remarkably good bracelet. their shape fit and edges are precisely finished. Again on the bracelet the clasp is a very sophisticated bit of kit; fit and finish from a much higher price bracket.

All of the essentials I mention above are present and the feeling of pleasure that I have experienced with other much more expensive brands. Maybe my watch needs have changed but I love wearing the Ocean Rover and it's proportions and feel are comparable with far more expensive similar looking watches.

There is the daintiness I talk about above and a feeling of contentment.

Movement? it's very accurate, there's a timing certificate and the blurb says it's anti-magnetic. Dial script? the other features of the dial outweigh that nonsense. Value? Ah good point. In the eye of the beholder, I guess. I would imagine and hope that there are others who would value it for what it is.