closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Ocean Rover

Hybrid View

My Ocean Rover

Currently my Rolex is a recent DJ 41mm. Standards of finish and design both aesthetic and mechanical that are superb. It's a dress/everyday watch icon.

We know that the Submariner is another iconic watch. For me the ND 2 liner or the early ND 4 liner epitomises the Sub. It's size, the cleanliness of it's design and the quality of the build of the head are essential features and for a 40mm size it's "daintiness".

So, buying one for me at this time was not possible. But I wanted one. the 42mm copies didn't excite me. the recent vogue of 39mm copies I believed would be a bit small and the essential features of the Sub were not present in those copies.

A Ginault Ocean Rover appeared on SC and after reading around with features such as dubious movement description, meaningless dial script and the price I thought I'd pass. The irritant however was embedded and was, well, irritating! I read some more and saw that there was more to this watch than the negatives. I saw that buyers were offered discounts on the rrp if they wrote reviews which suggested a message that was not wholly encouraging. In those reviews some very strong positives were commented on (well they would be wouldn't they!).

I wasn't a stranger to "high end" copies (eg the original Monta Ocean King) and realised that as much as they tried their appeal/value was subjective and not intrinsic.

I agonised (briefly) and then "what the hell" took over and I bought the Ocean Rover.

It's only been with me for less than a week but at variance with other watches I have recently bought I feel driven to write about it.

It's stunning! Quality is unbelievably good. One feature that I have fixated on are the SELs of the remarkably good bracelet. their shape fit and edges are precisely finished. Again on the bracelet the clasp is a very sophisticated bit of kit; fit and finish from a much higher price bracket.

All of the essentials I mention above are present and the feeling of pleasure that I have experienced with other much more expensive brands. Maybe my watch needs have changed but I love wearing the Ocean Rover and it's proportions and feel are comparable with far more expensive similar looking watches.

There is the daintiness I talk about above and a feeling of contentment.

Movement? it's very accurate, there's a timing certificate and the blurb says it's anti-magnetic. Dial script? the other features of the dial outweigh that nonsense. Value? Ah good point. In the eye of the beholder, I guess. I would imagine and hope that there are others who would value it for what it is.

Master
    Agree with all your comments, lovely watch, well made, accurate etc.....

I bought the Blue/ Gold last year and thought I'd see what all the fuss was about,- Ginault has had there share of knockers but hats off I think they've made a decent well made watch at not much money.

The only downside, I just got fed up of people asking about it, 'ooh nice Submariner' err no it's not, its a ...... you then proceed to tell them it's a Ginault blah blah blah and almost try and justify the brand.

Master
    Possibly my favourite watch. Which one did you go for?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

181070SILN. Smurf lume no date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    The indice at the 3 gives it lovely balance. I have the sand coloured lume.

Because this thread needs pictures, here's mine ocean roving. Fantastic watches, makes a mockery of Rolex and Tudor in terms of value and for me fixes a lot of the design issues I have with the inspiration. 90% of the watch for 10% of the price!

Master
    That's mine enjoying some sea air....

Journeyman
    What's the real story behind these? Read an article where they were saying maybe it's a knock off brand that are trying to legitimatise themselves, but there's a bit of a disagreement about whether they're Swiss or American manufacturered, it all got a little confusing.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itizme View Post
    What's the real story behind these? Read an article where they were saying maybe it's a knock off brand that are trying to legitimatise themselves, but there's a bit of a disagreement about whether they're Swiss or American manufacturered, it all got a little confusing.....
    I don't think it's any clearer. Just attractive, well made watch aping a range of Rolexes and pulling off a watch Rolex never made.

Looking at the price, and what it is, and how new this company is, I can't see any explanation other than Chinese parts and a Chinese movement, assembled by people with very high QC.

The way the cosmetic parts are so close to original designs surely shows that they are being sourced from the same factories that are supplying the replica-fakes.

Has anyone done a definite ID of the movement yet? Presumably at that price it's a legitimate clone which is then being regulated by the manufacturer. It will be interesting in a few years time to discover what the servicing situation is with them.

Interesting to read some of the concerns noted above... in terms of case and quality of fit and finish (leaving the movement aside for a moment), can anyone offer a comparison against steinhart?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Interesting to read some of the concerns noted above... in terms of case and quality of fit and finish (leaving the movement aside for a moment), can anyone offer a comparison against steinhart?
    It's more refined than steinhart. I say that as an owner of 10 steinharts. Definitely va league above but so is the price. I'd say both brands represent similarly great value. My £800 Ginault feels like the other £1500-2k watches I have. My £400 steinharts feel like other £700-1k watches I have.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Looking at the price, and what it is, and how new this company is, I can't see any explanation other than Chinese parts and a Chinese movement, assembled by people with very high QC.

The way the cosmetic parts are so close to original designs surely shows that they are being sourced from the same factories that are supplying the replica-fakes.

Has anyone done a definite ID of the movement yet? Presumably at that price it's a legitimate clone which is then being regulated by the manufacturer. It will be interesting in a few years time to discover what the servicing situation is with them.
    The article I mentioned states that it is American made, and as such to be able to claim this in big letters on the box it must have a high percentage of parts made in America, but curiously earlier watches have Swiss made on them. When asked for information to substantiate their claim the sketchy owner/s(as this is murky) can't or won't provide any evidence of American companies making or supplying the parts required.......
    It's a very peculiar set of goings on...

Edit:- Btw sorry for the thread hijack OP. And I personally have no valid opinion on the watches as I've never seen one, I'm just interested in the mysterious history of the brand.
    Last edited by Itizme; 13th January 2019 at 02:13.

Master
    It's a very peculiar set of goings on...

I'm just interested in the mysterious history of the brand.
    It's the Banksy of the watch world.... ;-)

Master

This is also my view but you have put it better than I could and for these reasons, and as much as I like them, I won't buy one for now.

Craftsman

Seen some discussion on WUS, and from what I gathered it seems the thinking was: why sell a fake rolex for $500 when you can take the exact same parts minus the name, and sell it for $1000?

Wonder if Ginault didn't just contact the fake factories and ask them to make the same thing but with a different dial.

Here's a review of mine from last year. I'm still very happy with it.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi had one (black, sand lume with date) and it’s the only watch I’ve ever regretted selling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ocean Rover

Thinking through the Chinese parts. If they are high quality then it’s quite possible that their origin is not important. Moving on to assembly with the exception of one instance I have so far come across the experiences of other owners has been positive. For my own part I am in awe of the quality of this watch.
    On the comparison with Steinhart if you mean the ownership experience comparison of two Rolex copies; I’m closer to happiness with the Ginault than with any Ocean One I have owned so far.
    In the case of Ginault’s Ocean Rover the sum of the parts is a rare and very convincing watch.

Having owned a Tudor Black Bay, I would say the Ocean Rover has far better finishing than the Tudor, better graining on the brush finish and better polishing and sharper edges. Plus the Ocean Rover enamel dial and metal framed indices are better quality than the Tudor. Also found the Ocean Rover the equal of the mm300.

Master
    Another fully paid up member of the fanclub. I've had mine a little over a year now and wrote a review on here a while back. I've owned a 16600 and TT 16610 and, money no object, of the three I would take the Ocean Rover. The quality and finishing are, to my mind, as good, and the bracelets far better. The movement has been very precise and within COSC. More subjectively, I also prefer the design. If Rolex announced a similar looking watch at Basel 2019, the waiting list would stretch into the 22nd century.

Ginault have done an astonishing job. Agreed they're expensive for homages but, quality-wise, you're getting something very close indeed to the real thing at 10-15% of the price depending on your luck with the discount.

As for the movements, they're meant to be clones of the 2824. I read somewhere that the bulk of the parts are produced in the USA and the owner himself commented that this was where the majority of his effort had gone and where his 'intellectual capital' lay i.e. in finding the manufacturers in the USA that could machine these parts to the required level of accuracy and consistency. Assembly and QC is then performed in the USA.

Interesting to read just how decent people esteem these; Tudor comparison particularly striking.

There is validity in everything that has been expressed up to now in this thread. Suspicion is normal when an iconic item is copied and in this case the suspicion has taken on more weight because of reticence/obfuscation of the manufacturer. In fact, I can see that a hunt for the truth worthy of a John Le Carre plot has taken place.
    The result of that hunt seems to be a confirmation that this watch (the Ocean Rover) is more than a worthy product. It has made its mark because of a QC regime that allows owners and reviewers to wax lyrical about the finished product. I believe carefully chosen parts from China have been used; hopefully they will prove durable and capable of service/replacement as needed.
    This watch can be judged in the same market place as other brands producing Submariner look-a likes and then sinking or swimming based on reputation.
    As with those other brands the purist lobby will object and the more laissez-faire lobby will enjoy both the watch and the intrigue that comes with it.

I've been tempted in the past. What puts me off is the dial logo/text, which looks cheap (imo) and the red seconds hand.

The bracelet is meant to be fantastic, I'm tempted to order one and see if the glidelock style clasp will fit my bb58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I've been tempted in the past. What puts me off is the dial logo/text, which looks cheap (imo) and the red seconds hand.

The bracelet is meant to be fantastic, I'm tempted to order one and see if the glidelock style clasp will fit my bb58.
    The bracelet is fantastic and the glidelock works beautifully, albeit the one QC issue everyone picked up on was that the fliplock was a little tight. In the flesh, I suspect you'd find the dial logo/text less cheap than you might think. The quality both of the gloss black dial finish and the text printing is superb. A couple of lines less of test wouldn't have gone amiss though.

Imo, although the red second hand works fine and was clearly Ginault's attempt to add a little twist, while I don't think it looks cheap, I agree that it would have looked classier with a metal finish. I don't think you'd find it a deal breaker in the flesh though.

My only frustration is that he's been churning out the same basic design now for a couple of years and I want to see what he can do next.

Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    The bracelet is fantastic and the glidelock works beautifully, albeit the one QC issue everyone picked up on was that the fliplock was a little tight. In the flesh, I suspect you'd find the dial logo/text less cheap than you might think. The quality both of the gloss black dial finish and the text printing is superb. A couple of lines less of test wouldn't have gone amiss though.

Imo, although the red second hand works fine and was clearly Ginault's attempt to add a little twist, while I don't think it looks cheap, I agree that it would have looked classier with a metal finish. I don't think you'd find it a deal breaker in the flesh though.

My only frustration is that he's been churning out the same basic design now for a couple of years and I want to see what he can do next.
    Maxi case?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Maxi case?
    Every time a person mentions 'maxi-case', there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead.

An elegant submariner style case

This thread is an interesting read.

For me, this goes further to prove what I suspected would be the case when the Swiss decided to not bother with lower end manufacturing for the world's watches, and people like ETA decided not to sell movements outside their own group.
    By leaving the field bare for their competition to occupy, they have pump-primed the watch industry elsewhere (and for me these have to be Chinese-made, with final assembly and movement fettling in the US).
    And now that industry is nipping at their heels in terms of quality, and at the same time undercutting the Swiss significantly in cost.

I guess this is not so new. I have in my drawer a Tiger Shark, a Sub hommage that came out in the 2000s (my particular one was sold new in 2007).

I remember at the time everyone saying that without doubt the bracelet on that was the equal of anything that Rolex was producing at the time, and I agree - it was. It is still commendably taut over 11 years later.

There is now no such thing as being able to generalise about watch quality in terms of nationality alone, quality can be made in any country that has invested in the people and kit to be able to deliver. And that definitely includes China.

Again, perhaps this is not so new, MkII anyone (Japan, not China, but hey)?

Dave

John holbrok the third was saying the same about invicta before he hit it big and started collecting rolex

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Never been too keen on the red second hand as others have said but stumbled on these the other day over on WUS, much improved in my opinion. Obviously pictures stolen from WUS, hope no one minds.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Never been too keen on the red second hand as others have said but stumbled on these the other day over on WUS, much improved in my opinion. Obviously pictures stolen from WUS, hope no one minds.

Have they been modified by owners?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Have they been modified by owners?

Yes, there’s a long running thread over on WUS and these two examples are from the end of the thread, one with a milsub second hand too

From what I remember of the fuss about this company on WUS, it seems the people behind this operation cut their teeth making fakes.

'So they've turned over a new leaf and gone legit,' you might say? Weren't they also caught out making up some fantastical story about the origin of the lume used in these watches? And wasn't there a lot of smoke and mirrors about the movement used and where it came from?

Nevertheless, they've had stellar reviews, even from people to whom Ginault didn't give 50% off in exchange for impartial online reviews. Rajen, the multimillion-dollar fraudster who used to post here, spoke very highly of his, and he owned a good few high-end timepieces. Someone whose endorsement carried weight in this parish.

Journeyman
    This just gets better, so all the bluster about the bespoke lume is bs too, thought it a little fantastical in a watch at this price. I don't know whether I'm impressed or appalled, either way it's a great story.....

Quite a lot have been modified to add a double AR sapphire, and a few with changed hands... and some silly bugger changed dial, hands and insert