closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lightweight walking boots help

Lightweight walking boots help

After finally admitting that my cheap pair of Hi-Tech WP walking boots were too narrow, I did a bit of online digging and bought a pair of Merrell White Pine boots in the sales. I deliberately bought a size larger and while they fit fine for length, the toe box is still way too narrow so they're going to go back. I didn't think I had especially wide feet but these pinched my little toe right over so definitely not suitable for walking in.

I've done some more research and narrowed it down to two more choices, but …

Some reviews say Mammut T Aenergy Mid have a wider toe box; other reviews say they are too tight

It's the same with North Face Litewave Fastpack Mid GTX – some say great for wider feet, then I find consumer reviews saying they're too tight

Another boot that came up was Adidas Terrex GTX. I know Adidas Originals trainers fit me perfectly but their boots might be different?

The problem is, I just don't have time to go shopping and try these things on so I'm relying on the internet for sizing info.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the above three boots, or any good recommendations for lightweight, waterproof, wider fit, walking boots for circa £100? I could go higher but don't want to go mad as I only need them for weekends walking with the kids through forest, woods, hills, etc.

Craftsman
    I can't comment on your examples but I've had some Jack Wolfskin Mens Vojo Hike Mid Texapore Waterproof Boots for a few months now. I have quite wide feet and I found these lightweight compared to the outgoing Karrimore. They are also waterproof and were comfortable from the off. I usually go a 1/2 size up with my boots to compensate for thick socks. Good VFM IMO.

Unless you're carrying a heavy rucksack in which case you need the extra ankle support why not look at a good pair of approach shoes instead of boots, much lighter and arguably more comfortable. I have some Salomon ones and have never looked back, I can walk all day in them, main thing is the soles are rigid so they don't transfer shock to the soles of your feet like trainers do when walking over stones, tree roots etc. Mine are also waterproof with a gortex lining

Try some on in a good outdoor shop, you may be surprised

Just an example here

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Loads more here

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens/fo...approach-shoes
    Last edited by Vanguard; 8th January 2019 at 15:18.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Altberg will make the width you want.

The sole is very important - I'm in the 'Vibram' sole camp and would only buy a boot that has that type of sole.

I could never get on with Salomon's 'Contagrip' - I find them way too slippery.

I have Vibram soles on my Salomons

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I have Vibram soles on my Salomons
    May I ask how old they are or what range? My older pair are Conta and when looking for Salomon trail shoes recently I could only find Contagrip.

To add - I very much agree with you as well boots are only needed if carrying load.

i have a pair of mammut (raichle) guide low gtx approach shoes and they are not wide, i have slim feet and they fit me well.

sure you cannot get to a shop? i tried loads of pairs on an eventually found the right fit

Master
    I bought a pair of Keen mid walking boots off the forum awhile ago and have been very impressed with them, they have a wider toe bed than many boots, l'm a shoe size 10 but generally take a size larger for walking boots
    https://www.blacks.co.uk/footwear/21...oot-brown.html

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I can't comment on your examples but I've had some Jack Wolfskin Mens Vojo Hike Mid Texapore Waterproof Boots for a few months now. I have quite wide feet and I found these lightweight compared to the outgoing Karrimore. They are also waterproof and were comfortable from the off. I usually go a 1/2 size up with my boots to compensate for thick socks. Good VFM IMO.
    Good shout. I forgot about JW, however, after a little bit of googling:

My normal size is an 8 but due to their slim fitting nature, I went up a whole size.

The toe box in the Mid Vojo boot is fairly narrow and the tip of the boot is hard due to being reinforced with rubber and suede underneath.

From this review:

https://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/blog/201...e-boot-review/

Thanks for all the other suggestions folks. I really am going to have to find time to try a few on because clearly one man's narrow is another man's wide

Craftsman
    Going to buck the trend here. After 10 years plus of fabric boots, I only had one pair that didn't eventually leak. Good news is I always bought from Cotswold, so was able to take them back. I eventually bought a pair of leather Scarpa boots, had them 3 years now and they have been 100% waterproof and comfortable. I would also recommend Altberg boots, haven't had their walking boots, but have had their motorcycle boots for work and social for 15 years and they have been brilliant and dry. Once my Scarpa expire, I will buy Altbergs.

Craftsman
    When I was in the market for a pair of lightweight walking boots my mate in 1 PARA SFSG recommended Brasher Supalite II boots.

They didn't need much if any breaking in and I've never had any blisters or any other issues with them. I've had them a few years now and they recently outperformed a lot of the new style walking boots on a course in Scotland.

i bought a pair of north Face Litewave Fastpack Mid GTX this year for trekking to Everest base camp.

sizing was as you would expect - i take a 44 (uk 9.5), i oversized them by 0.5 a size to account for extra socks etc.

i got them from a discount sport store in the middle east for the equivalent of around £45 gbp.

they caused me no issues what so ever. id have to say they are exceptionally light boots, like i don't think i could have gotten lighter boots if i had tried.

rubber toe cap surrounds got a bit torn - but for the £ they held up and performed exceptionally well.

if you can get them for a reasonable price id certainly recommend them

Craftsman
    I wore adidas terrex ax2r to do the GR20 in. Can't say more than that.
    I went for the non goretex ones as like inov8 they shed water really quickly and air dry so no point suffering sweaty feet due to the goretex.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I only moved away from inov8 as the prices went too high.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    May I ask how old they are or what range? My older pair are Conta and when looking for Salomon trail shoes recently I could only find Contagrip.

To add - I very much agree with you as well boots are only needed if carrying load.
    I must have had them 10 years, they just won't die. Maybe Salomon have ditched Vibram which would be a mistake, plenty of other makes that use Vibram though, most important is finding a pair that fit well of any brand

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    ......good recommendations for lightweight, waterproof, wider fit, walking boots for circa £100? I could go higher but don't want to go mad as I only need them for weekends walking with the kids through forest, woods, hills, etc.
    Altberg! Vibram.......think we may have lost sight of the OP's original scope/price.

Salomon are super comfortable in my view regardless of the none 'Vibram' sole. They are also 'on-sale' on their own website at the moment, some great bargains to be had. Size wise I've always gone up 0.5 a size and this has worked for me. It's walks in the woods not Everest.

Hello

AKU, lots to choose from. Wearing mine as I type.

Got some from Alpinetrek.

Best,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    It's walks in the woods not Everest.
    Made me laugh

In case anyone was interested, I settled on a pair of Salomon Evasion 2 Mid GTX and I hope they fit because I found a stonking deal at wiggle.co.uk. From £130 to £60, then another £10 off with a new customer code

Looking at the images below the toe box looks to be far better proportioned than the Merrell Pine Vent I'm returning:

Salomon Evasion 2 Mid Leather GTX

Merrell White Pine Mid Vent

I'll find out on Monday.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in

Brasher (Berghaus) SupaLite II GTX - best wearing lighter boots with wipe clean leather.

Ortherwise Scarpa Cyrus Mid GTX are a little more comfortable, but suede finish, and I’m a half size bigger in the Scarpa.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Salewa firetale Evo mid goretex I have.

Had them 2 years and still in great nick.

Vibram sole, ultra lightweight, goretex, protected toe cap etc.

Can pick them up on axon for 130ish.

Review below

https://youtu.be/vr4UsOsUTe4

Master
    Width is not the only metric that will make a boot feel too tight: volume is just as important.

Mammut boots are generally wider, but they have low volume: I don't know how to explain it exactly, but it refers to how 'tall' the boot is between the insole and the uppers. Depending on how the boot is constructed, this may or may not be adjusted by lacing alone

I know you've already bought something else, but Hanwag, Aku, as well as Scarpa all have boots that are made on a wider/higher volume last.

If trail/approach shoes are okay too, the La Sportiva TX4 run very wide and are an excellent shoe (but, unfortunately, my flat soles don't get along with the high arches on the TX4)

I got some Clarks hi Tritrak in the sales last year but it looks like you might still be able to find the odd pair lying around. Comfortable, wider fitting than the usual Clarks shoe, very lightweight, and Goretex, I paid about £55.

Master
    I've got the Adidas Terrex GTX and they fit exactly like my Adidas normal trianers. Great for walking in the summer due to being a trainer design but I use my Brasher Hillmaster 2 GTX through winter which are the most comfortable boots I've worn (but probably not lightweight enough). Would recommend the Adidas.

Craftsman
    Years ago, I purchased a pair of Salomons from Blacks. I was in the shop and trying on various boots.

They were so light that you could really notice it when compared to other boots. As they are quite old now, I recently jumped on the Brasher deal that someone spotted here. The Brashers are like wearing breeze blocks compared to the salomons. Whilst the Brashers are very comfy and warm, I wouldn't ever want to walk too far in them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Years ago, I purchased a pair of Salomons from Blacks. I was in the shop and trying on various boots.

They were so light that you could really notice it when compared to other boots. As they are quite old now, I recently jumped on the Brasher deal that someone spotted here. The Brashers are like wearing breeze blocks compared to the salomons. Whilst the Brashers are very comfy and warm, I wouldn't ever want to walk too far in them.
    Don't find the hillmaster that heavy and up in the lake district over winter they're perfect for me. Can understand why people find them a bit much though if they're used to lighter boots.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Altberg will make the width you want.
    Not for £100 they won’t.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I've got the Adidas Terrex GTX and they fit exactly like my Adidas normal trianers. Great for walking in the summer due to being a trainer design but I use my Brasher Hillmaster 2 GTX through winter which are the most comfortable boots I've worn (but probably not lightweight enough). Would recommend the Adidas.
    I have a pair of these and they are indeed a good shoe and comfortable. Do you find they make your feet a bit too hot and sweaty?