closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rib injury, what have i done this time?

Grand Master

Rib injury, what have i done this time?

I appear to be picking up an injury a week just now, after a bike ride i was doing some stretches in the house, when i did the chest/shoulder stretch something pinged in my ribs, a bit like a rubber band breaking behind/around my rib, since then it's got more painful, but seems to be more painful when i am lying down, and not that painful when upright. It reminds me a bit of a mix of when i cracked a rib for the pain when lying down, and the pain when i tore an intercostal muscle on the lower rib, but this one is the one at the nipple level, any folk suffered similar, i'm guessing as it's ribs, it'll be the usual leave it to heal itself, which is not so good as i'm away riding again this weekend!

I would give the riding a miss unless you have a gun to your head.

Blog Entries
    Does it hurt on palpation / pushing?

And with it being at sternum level... if you push in the similar area but on the other side of the body... does THAT exacerbate the pain over on the other affected side? Weird question. Just asking.

I have been to a couple of interesting patients recently who had costochondritis, and palpation to the other side of the sternum caused the pain to worsen in the 'known' pain area.

Greg.

Would seem much more likely to be muscular or tendon rather than a rib injury if it was caused by stretching. Best to seek medical advice.

Could be erectonipplitis acuta. I’d avoid any Lycra tops on your next bike ride
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    Mountain biking, so lycra is not required!

It is painful when doing something like chest flys or crunches, but not going up, it hurts coming back down from that, everything else seems to be fine to do, i did a few exercises to see what aggravated it, most things seem fine, bar those mentioned and lying down.

Hairline rib fracture, pulled tendon/muscle? If it was anything more serious you would be in agonising pain. If it’s not irradiating into the left shoulder/stomach area (cardio related) I wouldn’t worry about it.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Hairline rib fracture, pulled tendon/muscle? If it was anything more serious you would be in agonising pain. If it’s not irradiating into the left shoulder/stomach area (cardio related) I wouldn’t worry about it.

Yeah, think it's muscle related, it made/felt like a horrible pingy thing so not thinking it's a fracture, i'm just getting too old to fall off the bike now, i might get some stabilisers!

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    “Irradiating”

Journeyman
    Costochondritis.
    Ice reg / good anti-inflammatory / paracetamol / codeine.
    Time will settle it.

Grand Master
    Cheers, have been doing the tablets and ice, lucky i had all the gear in after treating tennis elbow for the last month!