closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chrono24 and Orient Watches

Craftsman

Chrono24 and Orient Watches

I have been looking for an Orient mako 1 in blue and one Pepsi, scarce these days it seems. Mako 2 are common but I don’t want those.
    I have found a new mako 1 blue on Chrono24 for £163 but it’s described as a EM65005D Mako XL, the pictures do not agree with the description. I’ve asked for confirmation but has anyone used chrono24? What’s the returns policy if they get it wrong? It’s apparantly via Horoligere watches.

Master
    Chrono 24 is a marketplace, essentially. You'd be buying from a seller, a bit like eBay. Some I believe now work with C24 to offer some kind of buyer protection, but I don't know details.

Craftsman
    Ok thanks. I got the idea it was like eBay or more amazon. Department e-store. The seller did send a reply but only to say it wasn’t a fake. Who would fake a £150 watch 🤦🏼*♂️They didn’t have a clue if it was XL or mako 1, so I have decided to leave them alone.

Orient Mako Mark 1 you say...

Sadly all gone now. A word of warning, people get excited about the Mark 2 going on about the hacking and the ability to wind etc, but the crowns are absolute crap and people have had problems with them. The crowns on the Mark 1 are superb, never had any issues.

If you hunt around on Google you can still pick up brand new Mark 1's. e-bay is also a good hunting ground. Never bought one from Chrono 24 personally. Amazon is also a good place to look.

I used to just google Orient main dealers, then enter Mako. Most are in the Far East. The site below in Germany currently have three of the five brand new for €144 each and there are no import charges as they are in the EU. They also sell the bracelets seperately, but you could buy a nice little bundle from that site.

https://www.orientuhren.de/index.php...8e5c3c1b06c2e8

Another caution. Those diver straps will have 2.00mm wide spring bars and the bracelets only take a 1.50mm, so if you bought some bracelets you would also need to buy some slimmer spring bars. Tons on e-bay.

Hope this is helpful
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 10th January 2019 at 21:35.

Craftsman
    Yes that’s very helpful thank you.

I have black, orange and yellow already and want to get the last two to complete the set. I have a new blue on order from eBay, wrongly described but the correct watch. eBay price was £168, only £125 on that site. My wife ordered it this afternoon for my birthday. Now I’m going to order the Pepsi from the link you provided and I’m sorted.

The hardest to come by was the yellow. I did find a site claiming the production numbers of each colour, black, blue and Pepsi where pleantyful, orange limited but not rare, however yellow allegedly where limited to 109 units. I’m unsure how true this but I have seen handfuls of each other colour sell on forums and eBay etc, yellow used to change hands on rare occasions but never these days.

When they arrive I will take a picture of them and reconstruct the shot you posted, I’ll add it to this thread.

Spring bar issue noted, I intlend trying a butterfly clasp engineer bracelet from watchgecko on one of them to replace the rubber, I will get some good quality spring bars at the same time.

Thanks again!! Much appreciated.

Yes, the Yellow is not easy to find these days. It more commonly appears on e-bay.com from US sellers. I also think around 100 were made.

Strangely, a few years back the Orange was the easiest to track down and all the main dealers had it listed for as low as £100. Things have changed now and the Orange is becoming tricky to find as well. I couldn't find one a few months back New, everyone had sold out. So what started out as the easiest to find is now the second hardest.

Good look with the collection and look forward to the group shot.

Craftsman
    All sorted. I just ordered the Pepsi mako and 3 original bracelets. My black one is on nato, the blue and Pepsi will arrive on rubber. Now I will have a full set on genuine original steel. Quite pleased I must say!

As for the yellow, I may be off by a year or two BUT, in 2007 they made 99 and in 2011 they made a further 10 to celebrate an anniversary. Total 109 (or so I read). Now I know of one that I was offered for £400 that looked like it had been used as a door stop in a foundry. Ok you could put the dial into any mako case and it would be mint again and no one would know, it still makes me think there are likely well under 100 left ticking. I finally had to pay £350ish for a near mint yellow. Supply and demand I guess, but I wanted one and decided to grab the chance whilst it presented its self. That was a good year ago and I have not seen one since.

Pictures will follow. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Orient Mako Mark 1 you say...

Sadly all gone now. A word of warning, people get excited about the Mark 2 going on about the hacking and the ability to wind etc, but the crowns are absolute crap and people have had problems with them. The crowns on the Mark 1 are superb, never had any issues.

If you hunt around on Google you can still pick up brand new Mark 1's. e-bay is also a good hunting ground. Never bought one from Chrono 24 personally. Amazon is also a good place to look.

I used to just google Orient main dealers, then enter Mako. Most are in the Far East. The site below in Germany currently have three of the five brand new for €144 each and there are no import charges as they are in the EU. They also sell the bracelets seperately, but you could buy a nice little bundle from that site.

https://www.orientuhren.de/index.php...8e5c3c1b06c2e8

Another caution. Those diver straps will have 2.00mm wide spring bars and the bracelets only take a 1.50mm, so if you bought some bracelets you would also need to buy some slimmer spring bars. Tons on e-bay.

Hope this is helpful
    The Orient Mako was/is probably the best budget diver you can buy (IMO of course!) Much better than the Seiko and I bought and eventually sold ever Seiko dive watch I have had. The original Mako was sold for about £40 - £70 on the rubber strap or bracelet (Think I paid about £45 on Amazon on a rubber strap and gave it to my dad for a cheap holiday watch) Its lasted for years without any issues and always felt a more solid and robust watch in comparison to the Seiko

The yellow version was always the more expensive going for about £100 and were at the time fairly easy to find and even when they went out of production it took a while before the prices started to go up and being an Orient anyway and I suppose being seen as the poor relation to Seiko they never seemed to have the same interest. The Orange one was always the poor relation kind of regret not buying one when they were £80 on a bracelet.

As for the new Mako watches, I have one I use as a cheap summer watch and I really have found it just as good as the original one with the bonus of the hack seconds. Not had a problem with the crown if I am honest and didnt realise there were issues with it. It doesnt feel flimsy to me but then I havent been doing anything that would cause it to break I would certainly say its a very good alternative to paying a premium for the MK1 version.

Bracelets on the new version are just as awful as on the MK1 though, that hasn't changed!

Craftsman
    They have all now arrived. Managed to get a blue from eBay and Pepsi from the orient.de. I also ordered two bracelets from orient.de but they didn’t arrive. I had a feeling that would happen. They see the watch order and don’t read the order carefully. I have contacted them and await a reply. Once I’ve get them I’ll still be recreating the picture 👍