closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster, fogged crystal

Master

Omega Speedmaster, fogged crystal

Most work days I wear my trusty Omega Speedmaster Pro. It's the current version albeit about 3.5 years old now. Until yesterday it was running very well at +3s a day with no known issues. However, getting out the car to put fuel in it I looked to see the time and the crystal had completely fogged/misted over...on the inside! Arrrgghh! I've never got the watch wet, but somehow sometime it's taken in some moisture that I assume has just condensed on the crystal as it hit the cold air.

I have a few questions:

• Is it likely to need a full service (not knowing how long moisture has been in the watch)?
    • Omega quote £550 and a local independent quoted £495. I'm a bit loathe to spend this much if I can help it, given the watch won't have much wear or need any parts (I hope) apart from gaskets. Are there any Omega-experienced people or organisations that might be cheaper?
    • Is there anyone else that might be able to dry out and inspect the watch and service it for a more acceptable price? I'm not tight, but in my head an Omega service would be a bit cheaper than this! Can the usual independent watchmakers help out or are Omega parts now restricted as they are for Rolex?

I did a search but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

Thanks

Ant

Grand Master
    The worry on this one is potential water damage that could affect the running of the watch. If only a small trace of moisture has got in, and itís clean water not salt water, the chances are itíll be OK but the movement will probably need stripping down, cleaning and re-oiling. It also depends how long the waterís been in.

The mystery is how the waterís found its way in, these watches shouldnít leak.

I could have a look at this. Iíve serviced a couple in the past and I have the correct sized O rings for the crown, pushers and caseback. At this age Iíd expect all the seals to still be OK.

PM me if youíre interested.

Paul

I have no idea if there has been a change in production recently, given they now fall within the 5 year warranty for a brand new one - but I keep seeing a high number of these that are obviously not water tight.

There is no way I'd choose to wear one in water despite the 50m rating. Unless I just had it tested to a fair amount above 50m.

Personally, I'd want it looked at asap. If it was mine I'd be taking Paul up on his offer to take a look at it. Once opened no doubt things will be a little clearer.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 11th January 2019 at 17:28.

Been there, done that. Got a water after I accidentally forgot that I had a Speedmaster on and went to swim. Watch fogged later that day and it was while on vacation in Italy. As you might imagine there were not so many watchmakers in a fine village of Malcesine, but I was lucky to find a jeweller who had case opener. He opened watch case for me and I let it dry overnight and when I got back home watchmaker inspected it and said there is no need to service, because of no damage was done. As I understand, as long as it is just small amount of water and you dry it properly by opening caseback and store it in cool place, most likely watch will be fine.

I serviced it last summer, six years after accident.

Master
    Iíve said this a couple of times before but I would not go anywhere near water wearing a speedmaster. Theyíre supposed to be water resistant but a customer of mine has twice had his take in water (which he bought new a few years ago), after the first time he was told it was a freak and it was serviced and re-sealed FOC by Omega and he was told it was water resistant again. Next time he went on holiday, in the pool and bam! she was flooded again. Heís recently got it back serviced and Ďsealedí

I told him he was crazy even going in water but he told me it was sold to him with water resistance assured (as he told them he wears his watch for everything) so I guess at least he gets a free service every so often.

Master
    I've toyed with the idea of selling my Speedy Pro for this very reason Ant, I wear my SMPc more these days for better peice of mind.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

When I owned my Speedmaster Pro Gemini 4, I was always paranoid about getting it near water. Subsequent stories like the ones on here have convinced me that my instincts were spot on!

Simon

Master
    So the watch has gone off to Paul today and hopefully thereíll be a happy ending. My key concern now is how resilient the Speedy is to the environment. Iíd have thought itíd stand up better than this to changes in temperature and a bit of damp air given the testing these survived for the space programme! Itís not as if I dived in a pool or, horror of horrors, did the washing up while wearing it.

Ant

Journeyman
    Really surprised about this, but itís clearly not a one off. 50m should be fine for every day swimming never mind a bit of damp in the air..., so is there a design/gasket problem or are they not being tested correctly?

Master
    The thing that concerns me about Speedy Pro ownership is the fact I sometimes forget to take it off when I go Sea Fishing, my memory isn't what it used to be and on a few occasions I've found myself on a beach with waves crashing in and sometimes coupled with the rain.

I don't have to worry when I'm wearing the Seamaster, but having said all this I've never had a problem with fogging and I do love the Watch.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    I never realised Speedy's were so prone to water ingress.

Craftsman
    Back in 2008 when I got my 2254.50 Seamaster from the Omega AD, I had originally gone there for the Speedmaster. The sales person advised at the time they were fragile by comparison and may not be as suited to constant wear as the Seamaster. Main reason given was the lack of water proofing and then of course the plastic crystal and less robust movement were the other reasons. Apparently they had seen a few back for warranty claims where folk had given no consideration to these factors and expected them to be totally life proof.

Back then I took it on board as part of the buying decision. It was my first proper watch and I wanted to be able to use it every day. I also preferred the look of the Seamaster at the time and the fact it had date was a plus.

Now 10 years on the Seamaster has performed faultlessly and looks basically brand new following a gentle service, so it was a solid choice.

Being older and wiser and with some other nice watches to rotate, I think I will still add a Speedy to the mix at some point. Iíve already got a Heuer Carrera which shares a lot of the Ďweaknessesí and that performs just fine.